/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we discuss Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including cartoons and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more!

/sthg/ #744 - Master Planning Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsSonic NewsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

i.4cdn.org/trash/1493162823335.jpg
sonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/159981962458/as-our-teams-continue-development-of-sonic-forces
youtube.com/watch?v=CJCyJzuDpr8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fest

slaw

Screenshots and footage shown were both 720p native by the way.

The fuck is this? It looks like the ring combinator monitor but kind of different.

Either way, interesting.

>Insert autistic screeching about Sonic here

FAST

just a blue shield probably

Go play pic related then. It's what RoL tried to be.

It's probably a Shield power-up, like in Sonic 1.

Ah. Hi new thread. Gonna post this again then:

What I'd like you guys to do is hop on Textures.com, or whatever other texture site you like and find some floor textures. Post your favorites! We're likely going to be using a few, given the various exhibits. Remember that any aspect of these textures can be changed from color, brightness, contrast, etc. so keep that in mind when selecting.

A shield?

I remember my cousins having all 3 and enjoying it. Don't know why I never got a copy for myself.

How do you know about the footage? It looks muddy as hell.

Apparently, what Nakamura meant was that, at Green Hill, someone would look at it say, "This isn't Green Hill, it's ____" Presumably metaphorically, since Green Hill has probably been destroyed by a time shift or something.

What if there are special stages in Forces? At least for Classic.

For those arguing about stupid things like downgrades and visual parity on consoles which is stupid since 90% of people here are getting on PC as their main version everything I've seen so far seems possible at 1080/60 on all console with some smart optimization, the art style seems to be simplified by choice but they still have some neat visual effects like the tessellation on the dirt, the grass flowing around which has been done in Sonic before, and the move to a more realistic lighting engine which works well with the more simplified art of the levels we've seen. The texture quality in this green hill level seems pretty high and much better than the original level which has some muddy textures thrown around in areas, but they probably realize no one is going to see them since they can't stop moving.

Daily reminder that this is the best Sonic game

"This isn't Green Hill, it's my original locale, Bleen Hill!"

This meme again?

It's a metaphor. Like, "This isn't Green Hill, it's a mess" or "This isn't Green Hill, it can't be" or "This isn't Green Hill, it's not right"

Oooh! That's kinda' cute! Mind sharing where you found this? The dimensions of the image you posted are all wrong for a texture, so I'm hoping that there's a proper version somewhere. Textures should be a Power of 2: 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, etc.

They have a remastered collection of all 3 if you'd rather not shell out money for old copies.

Yes, that's pretty plausible

I don't think I've seen it brought up yet, but that's a pretty menacing Motobug design. Did something get ahold of and amp up Eggy's badniks?

I'll also add that every bit of footage we've seen so far has been from a different build with some of them using different effects and changing the draw distance, this could also just be based on them possibly showing it on different consoles but I'm unsure.
It was hard to tell but I know for a fact that the Nintendo Direct footage had slightly better Texture filtering than the original trailer did.

It's like playing a game of finding the differences. I'm surprised there are these kind of differences, though.

Yeah, like Nega being the one behind everything. It's not Eggman, it can't be

Every game has texture updates between trailers. Just look at Crash: N. Sane Trilogy. That game had a whole slew of texture updates.

Why are shipping wars even a thing?

>tfw all I have is a PS2
>tfw no face

I might just go with emulation honestly.

Autism.

B-but your post had no relation to my question?

Because Amy is better.

See the problem is that Generations happened. Because This looks more like Green Hill Zone than Generations does. Green Hill Zone was never really overflowing with Greenery like it was in generations.

That said I do really like how it looks in Generations. I'm much more concerned that Sonic's gameplay doesn't seem to have improved in any way but aesthetic for this.

But the textures look similar in that picture. Look closer.

It's most definitely him. Don't forget that it was Eggman's new power that gave him control of the world. He probably used this greater control to mass-produce better, more military-like robots.

Perhaps it's Eggman getting access to something of Nega's. Or a monster of the week. The latter is more likely, and it'll betray him at the end and reveal that it was in control the entire time. Basically it's a Reaper

I know it's dumb and could never be canon, but I think Sonamy is SO cute.

I can't wait until we get more info about Forces at E3!

because it's fun for some people

There's this sort of effect on the grass, I think it's the global illumination, it does things to my eyes. I still think it can be tweaked a bit, but still.

Woops, from what I saw in the footage outside of how muddy Sega's shitty videos are it looks extremely soft in some areas where a 1080p video regardless of video quality wouldn't mainly things like background clutter that looks blurrier than usual. Its not the best comparison I got on my PC but here's an example, docked is 1080p undocked is 720p but both are compressed to hell but the native 720p picture still manages to look softer.
I'm not the guy to argue with if you want to talk about level themes, design, or physics. I'm just posting general tech analysis shit. I'm not saying that because of these visual quirks its better or worse I'm just pointing them out.
Personally I don't care if Green Hill Zone shows up.

GodDAMN son

>emulation
>the Jak series
Good luck. Just buy an old copy at that point. ND were tech wizards, and honestly still are, and they used the built in PS1 hardware to render certain models and textures alongside the PS2 hardware so emulating it is still fucked up.

L-lewd

Of course.

Debatable.Not really.

There is nothing fun about flinging shit at people over the internet for years on end.

So grass tends to have issues on games where you have a lot of it where it doesn't like to play nice with lighting, it often leads to things like it coming off as super bright because it just refuses to be shaded properly.

I just want to use what brushes he is using. I assume it's in Photoshop, because industry standard.

>There is nothing fun about flinging shit at people over the internet for years on end.

LORD HAVE MERCY

Could hop on his Tumblr or Twitter and ask

Not sure if you got it but I was praising it. You're right in that it looks too bright, though.

The comics really are dead, aren't they?

Maybe

Well shit.

I'm more impressed with the way it moves even if they have done it before.

Let me rephrase that: There is nothing fun about flinging shit at people over the internet for years on end over something as trivial as who ends up with who-

Oh, who am I kidding? It still applies. Alright, point taken.

I don't think it looked that good. Too uniform and scripted.

Moved the Greenhouse into the general area of the museum and slightly enlarged the flooded basement to include a Sage statue. Thoughts?

what was it?

What was it?

Windy Hill would have looked so much better had it actually lived up to its name.

Still waiting on a better quality for that Nicole pic.

Its the same trick honestly, both are just animating but at different speeds and spread out, it would more impressive if they had Zelda grass.

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the fangame because of a few reasons but this actually looks interesting. I honestly wasn't expecting to get that impression.

>Sage statue in the basement water section
That's... oddly fitting. Great work. Let's hope we can get somebody to actually make models of the two. I'm getting started setting up the foyer.

>no image
>no link
>just vague text
>DELETED
Fuck's sake. Really?

Same.

drop dash confirmed for forces.

So the Sonic tumblr account had a tag titled, "deforestation" in the Forces post. Also if you look closely you can see some plants have their petals partially bitten off, thoughts?

Well, now that you're on-board, how about jumping in? We could always use some help!

The main villain is Kirby, who is eating everything like the fat fuck he is.

No it didn't, you fuck.

i.4cdn.org/trash/1493162823335.jpg

How the fuck did deforestation lead to the water becoming sand?

>jellyfish bitch
Ah, lame.

That's a neat badnik

I can only hope this trend continues and that he draws Jian next.

does she even have a name?

Patrician taste.

Yeah, It's Opal.

Goddammit the dub is bad and it's as if they are using that engine of japanese kawaii desu dance videos.
Then again, my love for Blaze outweights those faults and I'm interested in her side of the story from 06

>sonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/post/159981962458/as-our-teams-continue-development-of-sonic-forces
Though technically I guess you'd be right as it was
>desertification
Not deforestation

Holy shit, bottomless Bump and Metal Bump!

Who else has been drawn so far?

I don't have accounts for those neither will I ever get any.

I wanna see the cockatiel next

Man, part 9 is looking pretty weird.

I have both, want me to be a middleman?

god, the switch is such a pile of shit

youtube.com/watch?v=CJCyJzuDpr8

>trying to start a console war

Best pile of shit on the market imo

Bunnie and Nicole

I second this

Sure! Thanks!
I hope he'll someday make guides.