/srg/ - speedrunning general

efficient practice edition

speedrun.com
tasvideos.org
speedrunslive.com
reddit.com/r/speedrun

what happened to /srg/

is it back?

yay we're back from the vacation! when's the next alttp randomizer race?

>trihex has a hella comfy stream routing an interesting reverse speedrun for ~300 viewers

eat shit, cuck

this is worse than monkeyposting

>90 seconds apart

Impressive shop

nice HTML edit

I have a genuine question that might come off as trolly; do you need some kind of knack or autism to really get into Speedrunning? I enjoyed the learning aspect, but actually grinding it out really bores the shit out of me. Which makes me sad because I like seeing people break records and such.

Grinding doesn't have to be boring, just listen to music or talk to your chat while you practice. A good number of speedrunners get addicted to practicing and spend more time doing it than doing runs. Just keep at it and it might click for you. If it doesn't, maybe "top level" speedrunning isn't for you. And that's okay, just learn games and get shit times if you want, noone cares.

kys

2 questions

im still doing GTA SA bullshit and cant break 89s on City Slicking, 2:30 on Badlands B, and 2:40 on Badlands A. how can i go fast?

second thing, what are the dumbest speedrun categories uve ever heard of, i mean like real meme shit like OoT All Cows and garbage licc that

speedruns are really diverse

some appeal to the breaking of software, some are just plain ol' high speed action. like, i would speedrun something like ZoE2 because its just HIGH SPEED ROBOT ACTION at INCREDIBLE HIGH SPEEDS, but others do stuff like Ocarina of Time because even though you dont move particularly quick, theres a lot of disrespect to the software driving the game which is itself kinda fun. it takes all sorts

Did you know Squid has his own anime series?

>lowering GTO to your petty crap

Now that our heads have cooled off over the vacation, is Toastrider capable of 1:39 or not?

Probably, but not before Cheese, Puncayshun, Batora, DWhatever, and Nindiddeh have 1:39s.

Kyledoesit cocklicker here

>im still doing GTA SA bullshit and cant break 89s on City Slicking, 2:30 on Badlands B, and 2:40 on Badlands A. how can i go fast?

Cheat like the rest of us.

>second thing, what are the dumbest speedrun categories uve ever heard of, i mean like real meme shit like OoT All Cows and garbage licc that

GTA:[xxx] "All Missions"

>Cheat like the rest of us.

cutscene%

why didn't you sage?

>Cheat like the rest of us.
I used S0Beit back in the SAMP days and hated it because i genuinely enjoy car games

All I wanna do is dump that clutch and make that driveline be rather than catch fire, nah mean

how do you stop cheating in PC games? people can edit everything from faster speeds to better luck. is there a way to even stop it?

Only he will save us.

i already understannd thsi meme but did it happen, is it really not viable to play gta and go for incredible high speeds since ppl will just use trainers

>Ilias notices that Kyle gets a 20% chance way more often than is statistically propable
>Kyle claims he has some secret trick that improves the odds.
>Code analysis shows that no such trick could possibly exist proving that Kyle is a liar and a cheater.
>GTA community reaction: LOL HE SITS IN A WHEELCHAIR AND HAS A FUNNY ACCENT! xD

i feel like every video gaming community i join is this poisonous and awful, and that in general, video gamers are trash. is this correct?

There are many pure speedrunning communities. Generally the smaller the community, the less hostile towards newcomers it is.

nice rewriting history

>20%
51% but nice one

post your Twitch profile, so I know whose ass your are licking

twitch tv/KyleDoeSit

Where will GDQ be in 10 years?

Primetime TV spots, or back in 5 man basement stream?

>Nindiddeh

lol

GDQs are already dying. One big scandal will push them over the edge. GDQs blew their entire load at AGDQ this year. 100% that SGDQ will struggle to break $1,000,0000 this year.

My enthusiasm for speedrunning has been renewed with zelda alttp randomizer races. Are there any other good randomizer games?

Randomizers cannot be spedran.

>When jcuck chokes another race away

>it's a how many times can normies fit the buzzword "autist" into a post thread.

The everything is autist attitude is perpetuated solely by lazy shit people who want to feel better about themselves for having no acquired talent in anything.

>hostile towards newcomers
That's not my point. My point is that it's hostile to the activity it's centered around itself.

how do i break 89s on City Slicking

the only slow thing i could be doing is braking before the dank chicane but its better to brake and maintain tire grip under power than to clear it and slam into a wall so wtf do i do better beyond good traffic rng

You have to install the patch, then uninstall and play the unpatched version. This will give you the best of both versions, which is cheating but everyone does it.

I just want to go fast in a car.

>tfw i wanna record a run rn but im drunk so im bad cuz im driving drunk

whats a good external capture card I can use to record my hdmi consoles speedruns?

So apparently the kingdom hearts leaderboards are getting some drama going proving the mods there don't give a single shit. What would you do, /srg/ if a game you run had mods that didn't actually care about making sure runs are good?

i'm a mod of several games on speedrun.com and i haven't logged into that site in over 9 months. the runners will just cry to kirkq and they will give one of them mod to take care of everything.

also it's not hard to mod a game. you watch the run to make sure there is no cheating and you accept it. what else is there to do to "make sure runs are good"?

>runs are good
isn't the only metric of "good" how long the run takes?

>you watch the run to make sure there is no cheating and you accept it.
Guess what they don't do.
You also have to make sure the runs aren't missing footage and don't have cases were the runner can blatantly cheat. Guess what the KH leaderboards have?

Who cares? No one actually goes to speedrunzdotcum or whatever. People go to twitch and youtube pages, where you can easily comment that the player is cheating in some way by leaving out footage, speeding things up, or whatever else. It's not 2002 anymore, you have the power.

t. kh leaderboard mod

Don't you have to go okay a run that's over a hour and a half long that only has 30 minutes of footage?

Nobody cares what you write in Youtube comments. I've made a comment on a Mario speedrun, where the runner clearly has an invincibility cheat code on because he touches a ton of plants, but I just got drowned out by mindless sheeps who don't care and try to be funny.

>1:43 in 112 attempts
Is Akira capable of 1:39?

>where the runner clearly has an invincibility cheat code on because he touches a ton of plants
you're retarded lmao.

how do I get 3 people to watch my stream so I can start earning twitchbux?

New Bomberman Hero PB

underrated post

t. retard

*uses NEET chav advantage to mindlessly grind ion's records despite not being even remotely as skilled as he is*
*bonobo howls*

pvtcb on suicide watch

What do >we think of runners resetting over LBLJ in 120 star for hours on end just to save about 8 seconds in the run when they can cut off an easy minute?

Reminder that Bomberman Hero is more optimized than SM64.

well it's a piss easy speedgame, so no shit.

What's your pb?

I don't have a pb. It's not hard to tell that it's easy to optimize though. Look at Squid's progress in this game vs his progress in SM64 lmao.

So you're commenting about how a game is to run without running it? How does that work? How are we measuring what makes a game easy and what makes a game difficult? Why did you mention Squid?

the fear

>How does that work?
Ask the guy who says Toastrider can't 1:39, he seems to be an expert on it.

it's not hard to tell that it's an easy game. look at how fast squid got the world record, then look at how long it took him to get a fucking 54 in 70 star lmao.
>Why did you mention Squid?
he's the world record holder you fucking dunce.

Why did you ignore everything I said?

the fear

mrspeedrun is live
I FUCKING REPEAT
mrspeedrun is live
GO WATCH YOU SPEDS

do you faggots not realize how common it is for world record holders of easy meme games to think their games are hard? are you new to speedrunning?

>How are we measuring what makes a game easy and what makes a game difficult?

2D games are easier to speedrun than 3D games

Estimated average hours required to achieve a near-optimized time.

Isn't a 54 normal for someone who didn't spend much time on the run?

Why are you even saying this? Who made a claim related to this?

What does that have to do with the topic? His sm64 progress was kind of slow compared to how many hours he streamed the game, but that's not the point. The point is how quickly he got the Bomberman Hero record.

The guy who said you need to run a game to get a general idea of how difficult it is.

Hours played do not = guaranteed time in a game though. Where are your numbers for these claims, anyway?

This makes no sense.

Ok, you win, Bomberman Hero is a super hard top tier speedgame and everyone who runs it is a god gamer.

Funny how you drop it all when asked for numbers. Why do you even spout this meaningless trash? For the record, I agree that SM64 is clearly more difficult, but you're also an asshat.

>gets world record in a game in less than 3 months
>yeah this game is super hard man, i'm just naturally really good
>*flips hair*

>I agree that SM64 is clearly more difficult
So you're commenting about how a game is to run without running it? How does that work? How are we measuring what makes a game easy and what makes a game difficult? What numbers did you use to measure this? beep boop, need more data.

Who are you quoting?

>Isn't a 54 normal for someone who mindlessly grinded 18 hours a day for over two years?
lmao

Funny how he just drops it all when asked for numbers.

>struggle to break $1,000,0000 this year.

really funny how he literally hates cheese for telling him to practice correctly

He does practice correctly, ge just improves slowly. The SM64 'bullies' tease him because he can't fight back about it because of his bad time so they will always point back to this stale meme.

>He does practice correctly
fucking lmao

have you ever watched him practice? he just does the same wrong shit over and over and barely pays attention.