Ok, called up my grandpa today trying to get some advice on buying a used car

Ok, called up my grandpa today trying to get some advice on buying a used car.

I told my gpa that my price range was around $2200, and he scoffed at me saying there was no way I could get a reliable car for that much, citing that my uncle bought used cars for that price back in the day and they all failed on him.

Is my gpa right? I see so many people posting about their shitboxes they bought for sub $2000 that have lasted them plenty of time. Isn't it also fair to say cars were made better in the past few decades compared to the 70s/80s?

Other urls found in this thread:

austin.craigslist.org/search/cta
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6207367558.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6203371856.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6210390280.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6213432221.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you get real lucky and get a $2200 shitbox that was owned and taken care of by some old couple then yeah you can get a good car. If you buy some 4 owner $2200 shitbox you're going to have the hood up every day. They type of car matters too. A $2200 Honda is going to burn more oil than gas.

Well that depends? How high is your gpa?

Anything lexus and prove that old white honky wrong.

you can, but not the kind of car you want.

I got my shitbox v6 firebird for 2600 and it has lasted me 7 years though I had to replace some major stuff like the radiator and water pump. this is the right idea. The previous owner matters, my car had a lot of damage because the previous two owners beat the shit out of it. Find a car previously owned by old people, it should not have as much wear and tear.

>major stuff
>radiator and water pump

lol. "major stuff" is a drive line or your valve train.

Sub 2000 shitboxes are totally reliable if you know what to look for. Hell i can play sub-1000 on Craigslist rn and find something dailyable. Ur fine nigger

plz help me

austin.craigslist.org/search/cta

learn how to develop an eye and sensation capability for pre purchase inspections

a lot of problems and lies can be uncovered with a deliberate eye, a flashlight, and a wandering hand

example:

just this past weekend i went to go see a LOW MILEAGE | CLEAN | LUXURY porsche from 2005 with 62k miles.

i found 2 minor defects and a major defect (elastomer on the bottom of the front windshield seperated).

they would not break from their 29.5 k price point, despite the obvious issues

im sure there's a sucker about to buy the thing, too busy pressing the pedals and not looking at panels, signs of care/lack there of, etc.

aight nigger listen up
there's at least 50 other people on craigslist right now looking for underpriced shitboxes that they can flip for an easy profit. all the best deals are gone within 24 hours. if you're not on there every single day or have craigslist alerts set up for when a car meets your criteria you're not trying hard enough. you're looking for econoboxes with track records for reliability and minimal moving parts to break. accords, civics, camry's, corollas etc, preferrably with a manual transmission. look for maintenance records, don't give a fuck about exterior quality. a car with a fucked up bumper that's been cared for mechanically will get you from a to b without shitting the bed. you spend enough time here you learn to tell a good ad from a bad one.

for example, i'd realistically look at -
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6207367558.html

austin.craigslist.org/cto/6203371856.html

austin.craigslist.org/cto/6210390280.html

austin.craigslist.org/cto/6213432221.html

Thx user. Never really considered trucks til now.

also join your local facebook car enthusiast group and skim their classifieds. there'll be a lot of shit to sift but at least the cars are owned by people who care about em and will be realistically priced since they're trying to sell to people who generally know their shit.

Keep in mind that to play the cheap car game being able to do basic maintenance yourself is almost a requirement. Hondas around their timing belt interval can be had fairly cheaply since a timing belt job is $600+, but the Gates belt/water pump/tensioner kit is $60 on RockAuto and if you're even somewhat mechanically inclined you can do it on a Saturday afternoon.

I'm about to sell my 2004 civic with 110k miles on it for $2k5. It's not really that bad though.

literally buy a GLI civic and you're good to go

Bring ramps, a rubber mallet and a screwdriver, beat the shit out of the frame.

If it doesnt go thru you are good to go.
Pic rel, 850 bucks, slapped some hubcaps and washed the beaut, even has a/c

Looks pretty good for $850. I'd daily that.

When OP wants to spend less than 2k and seems not too familiar with cars then yeah that's probably major to him.

>drive line or your valve train
For a 2k shitbox that's scrap that bitch tier

Needs a clutch, a wheel squeaks and power steering whines at speed. Im going to clean the lifters too, it makes a clicking sound.

Does anyone know what that plastic amber light cover is called? Between the headlight and the drivers side wheel. Its broken and I need to replace it.

More like clacking, like the throwout bearing is starting to go, but that is just what it sounds like

>buying a saturn
>pretty much asking to die in a car crash

I'll pass

Indicator cover? It's my best guess