i.gyazo.com/e584e672b8cea1fb15d8bb1daa9a584f.mp4
youtu.be/PkJl79yF-hA
twitter.com/aneonwinter
easings.net/
a.pomf.cat/vhanxs.mp4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

small brain: what you do
big brain: what i do

i would tell you how those are non issues in my game but then i might as well just say al my idea

like another user said i should patent it first

Finished coordinate system, pretty much. Gotta smoothen transitions between planes and then I'll be ready to do some actual gameplay. Materials are hard, UE4's post-processing mess is harder, I'll have to sort out those effects eventually.

>abso FUCKIN lute FUCKIN ly nobody cares about the game you've been working on because you've been taking too long to make it
I pissed away all the interest in my game. May as well give up.

I care user, what's your game?

has new recap been posted?

>last classic captcha was bypass hollycock
>this classic captcha is dickswall nomaxio

>same damn froggo meme face
this is why we dgaf

What do you think of this idea?

Small open world with different zones, think like a very small subnautica with a central cavern zone. You have to find 3 keys/artifacts. Your ship has a radar to tell you in what direction it is but you need a certain ressource that can be mined on the sea floor to activate it. Say you have 5000 grams of "meme ore", the radar/sonar can be activate one time at the cost of 3000 grams. It'll give you a direction and a distance.

Since your ship will not always start with the same gear and amount of ore, you might have to look around and mine more ore. I was even thinking of having the ore capable of producing oxygen for you and the ship. You could then have to choose between breathing longer in hopes of just finding the artifact or pay in oxygen to make the search easier.

excellent

i thought the trident was like a religious staff thing or mage staff, and the diving suit was a voodoo doll, and that the submarine was a mars base, and that the underwater was actually like dark lava tunnels like this was going to be like heretic or something

Started working on a fancy smooth spritesheet animator today, been very pleased with the progress I made so far

i.gyazo.com/e584e672b8cea1fb15d8bb1daa9a584f.mp4

youtu.be/PkJl79yF-hA

Had to recode my entire game pretty much. Gonna have to work hard all week to submit something to Demo Day that I'm happy with

my rpg is going to be the greatest game of all time.

You should be happy about all those things

reverse image search for this has some gems

Looks real good user. I like the colors.

If you were asking for improvements (you weren't), then I'd say some chill stellar music would go a long way, as would including some muted neon reds and purples (same pallet as the rest of everything) to make it really pop.

I should've just focused on art, right now I could be raking it in on patreon with lewd art drawing pussies.

But nooooo, you just had to learn programming as well and become a gamedev.

Another enemy. This guy can walk on walls and ceilings. Likes to ambush you in groups. Imagine walking into a room with 4-5 of these guys, who all start skittering towards you.

I really need to find a musicfriend to make some neat space tunes

it's easy bro just be yourself and you can be a master like me

Needs a section for making recordings/webms

why dont you guys just get a coke sponsorship?

I can give you the email for the guy who is doing music on my game. He is great, will probably do it for free.

people actually believe you should ignore non-dev's criticism on your game
Might be the dumbest trend here.

Sure, shoot me a message on Twitter or Tumblr

twitter.com/aneonwinter

not going to make it to demo day again, sorry. i'll see what i can do in 8 days but i still have no AI and some other key features.

i'll be doing a kickstarter presumably sometime next month though.

nice bro

it's basically true, the only opinions that matter are:

1) individuals who actually dev and know their shit
2) large masses of nodev customers, their data is valuable

some random retard commenting on your shit is about as helpful as asking a fortune cookie. when it's 1,000 retards you should pay attention though.

>but i still have no AI and some other key features.
>i'll be doing a kickstarter presumably sometime next month though.
sasuga, it never fails

I hope Boots will be okay.

I started a new project after a few months of doing nothing. I meant to work on the actual gameplay, but got sidetracked. Aside from getting basic movement in, the only thing I've really done is added a system for accepting console commands, which will be helpful for debugging in the future but is next to useless now. Going to work on it some more tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have some actual gameplay to show within the next few days.

The robot can now aim.
But there is a problem. Crosshair position is determined by a raycast from robot's position + offset (basically the endpoint of the blaster) and WorldToScreenPoint, and as a result, crosshair jumps whenever the ray hits something. Any ideas how to make it more smooth?

>the average ignorant /v/irgin (your main audience), dont matter whatsoever
>meanwhile a bunch of hacks fumbling around in GM are worth listening to

/agdg/ is so fucked.

I just don't agree.
If a user has a complaint that I can see as valid, it's just shedding new light on potential.
Of course devs are better for certain criticism, and probably most criticism.

>the average ignorant /v/irgin (your main audience)
speak for yourself pham

did you even read what I said tho. those /v/irgins do matter if it's a lot of them.

i already have the groundwork for all those things but i need to focus on my sword combat and some more stability stuff first. its not that i cant pull it all together i just have to ration my time better.

can you just interpolate the vector3.

it looks cool so far

I like your dog
wanna be friends

I tried, but zero effect.

Do you even want it to snap to the position of boxes? You could just change the collision layers if you don't.

Maybe

post your game, bitch.
I dont care if its not a 'playable' game yet.
I dont care if its just for the experience.
I dont care if you're 'still learning'
fuck you
post it

Fuck you gook cunt ask nicely. hope you get bombed soon

Not really. I want the aim system to behave like GTA when auto aim is turned off. Smooth crosshair with the bullets flying whenever it is.

Also remember that just because you don't feel like your game looks good yet doesn't mean you shouldn't submit to Demo Day. The point of DD isn't to display market ready projects but to let everyone get their hands on your game in it's current state so that feedback can be given (and the experience of a public release is a milestone in and of itself).

Holding back because of art (or a lack thereof) is against the spirit of the event. Same goes for music/sound/missing mechanics. Just Like Make Game and show what you have worked on!

opinions on monogame?i am too lazy to learn how to make pixel perfect shit in unity

I made a title screen. Maybe it's just me, but it's feeling super kiddy, like some sort of Skylanders shit. Thoughts?

Whatever it's doing when there is no object is correct behavior, then? So the raycast is either hitting the sky or the end of its range. Change your layermask to not hit boxes.

Ok but I haven't made any progress in at least a week because I've been playing Nier Automata and the artist hasn't made any assets in like a month
Maybe he'll draw more if I kick his shit in

Ok, I'll try.

the animation is pretty jarring in general.
just spins really fuckin fast

Why are your cacti upside down though?

Antialiase.

I don't know about the white-on-white, makes the foreground and background a bit indistinct. Put a gradient in the letters similar to the outline maybe? Like an electric blue.

Yeah. And is it linear? Maybe try a different easing function: easings.net/

Well, it still looks like garbage, but it has actual gameplay now, with assigning jobs, hiring workers, and an ever increasing upkeep, turing the game into a futile struggle against entropy with no end.

Except I just realised I don't have a game over screen, so you just continue into debt infinitely. Fuck.

Try flipping around the vertical axis, as if the sprite was in 3d space, if that makes sense?

Because the artist hasn't made any assets in a month and I needed a second map

the adventure continues

Spins around the Y axis now and I added some color to the letters (which recording as a gif caused to get all banded)

Banding is definitely my least favourite compression artefact.

way better spinning around y.
will you make it spin passively? mousing over to spin makes it look like some kinda weird version select.

I could. I was kind of thinking I'd leave it be a mouseover effect since I know some people love messing with things like this and seeing how long they can make the effect linger (or maybe it's just me)

How many entities in the game is acceptable before performance lags?

What about just graphical performance?

My game can handle around 6000 graphical (not physics) images in the world with around 80-100 of them on screen at 60 fps.

It can also do 200 physics objects colliding with each other at 60 fps after a long loading time of 10ish fps

Tested on firefox canvas

So here's the title screen + level select screen. I've got a few more things to polish up, then I think I'll do a public demo and maybe slap it up on greenlight.

Depends on what the use cases are. Obvs you want a silky smooth experience for any situations a player will be facing.

Also, what hardware? You generally want to ensure your target as large a playerbase as possible.

yeah that makes sense. It's just personal preference, and I didn't get what it was for at first.

Good processor/ram but not so good GPU

2.2 GHz i7
8 gb of ram
AMD Radeon 6750 M

How are maps saved in your game? I started to think that instead of saving maps in a fucking .txt i could draw them save them as .png and just read the pixels. No need for a level editor then

Because Coke is poison but also more importantly they don't associate with shit games.

Alright, now it has a lose condition.

It was a rhetorical question, I don't actually care what your specs are.

Just think about who might be playing your game. It's probably worthwhile seeing what it runs like on a toaster with integrated graphics.

Your maps are simple enough that you can express everything about a tile in a pixel?

Of course there's plenty of possible states for a pixel, but that may get unreadable fast. For humans, not for computers, that is.

Every language has serialisation libraries. If you ever plan on having more nuanced maps than just "what kind of terrain is this tile?" then you're better off making a map editor and serialising the results rather than having a png with rgba values corresponding to possible tile states.

So I ended up raycasting straight from the camera and using the hit point as the bullet target. Works perfectly, and this way I don't have to worry what layer the objects are on.

Be a empathetic game developer!

>No Attack Helicopter gender
Triggered

As a quasisexual Apache Attack Helicopter, I am deeply offended by your bigotry and racism! DELET THE|IS!!!

I guess gender really should be a resizable array.

Just make it a string and allow the user to enter their own values.

If you want a mouseover effect, maybe only a wobble about 30 degrees, not a whole flip?

if i ever make my fashion battle concept into a game im doing this, just makes sense for the fashion world.

hi agdg, you might remember me vaguely because I was posting here early on in my project, but I'll be honest I just got tired of trying to compress videos down to 3mb acceptably so it's been a bit! but i think I'll post links instead from now on and circumvent the whole problem. anyways

I'm working on the desert floor and the gimmick for the stage is basically that standing in front of the heads activates a trap door and sends you to the floor below. there's also trapdoors around the boundary to the level to let it feel like an open desert while still keeping the level design tight

a.pomf.cat/vhanxs.mp4

Leaving your smooth jazz on while recording was an odd choice, but not an entirely unappreciated one.

fml
got asked to do a skype interview for stugan, but didn't checked my email since three days and missed both interview times

looks incredible, I love what you're doing palette-wise

Looks pretty.

You need some sound effect and maybe visual cue that it's the head that's making you fall. Unless you're going for an old-school dungeon puzzle sort of feel.

The fists are a bit distracting, they're so jiggly and everything else is so static.

>a.pomf.cat/vhanxs.mp4
I like the animation of falling through.
I like most of it actually. Good job guy.

Looks like eye cancer.

Let's say you're making a difficult action game. Players who are good at the game (such as the dev) can easily beat a level in about 1-2 minutes. Other people may take 5 minutes or several retries.

How many levels would be sufficient for people to not feel like they get ripped off by a $5 price tag? 15 levels? 20? 30?

I think I finally finished my attack animation system. I can set many different parameters to an attack, allowing the player to aim before striking (or while striking if necessary,) or to even move around if necessary, as seen here. Also I made it so I can control where the player's facing during such an animation. It's just a test here at the end when the player does a 360, but this will be useful for some simple stuff like spin attacks.

You can find games like that for free with 100 levels.

Sniff some less coins schlomo.

The amount of levels is irrelevant. What really counts is replayability.
You can make a game with infinite levels, but it can be complete crap when it is just boring to play.

cant go wrong with smooth jazz

thanks guys :)

oh yeah sound cues are definitely needed, I'll be trying to fill those out soon. in regards to the fists, I can see what you mean but i think they get tuned out fairly quickly when you're actually playing. also they're kind of the identity of the game, something of an omnipresent punchline, so i wouldn't want to minimize that

Add an option to turn off that bouncing and wobbling camera shit.

have it not snap to the new floor level so fast, would make it look better.

t. the guy you replied to the other day who is working on something similar / was supposed to redo his physics today but didn't instead.

There's this girl in my game dev class who I really like. What game should I make to make her like me back? Something that'll impress her or whatever.