Uber: Legit or Trick?

I'm turning 25 this year. Dropped out at 16, obtained a GED at 16, went into community college, was going to graduate at 18, I stopped going, majors didn't interest me and I realized having an associates is pretty meaningless.

I'm having somewhat of a quarter life crisis. I know, it sounds silly but it's real to me and seeing my girlfriend succeed where as I am failing to get a job that is worth a shit is proving to be too much of a challenge. So, I have two questions for you.

1.) I am going to university. I know people these days are pretty against it and I see why, it's a fair turn. However, I am looking at majoring in marketing. I love breaking down everything behind a good sales pitch. Nothing brightens me up more than a good TV commercial, so long as it isn't played 30 times in 20 minutes. In essence, is marketing a good avenue? Or business in general? I'd like to hear some personal insights.

2.) Is Uber a good "job" to have? I looked up what folks are making in my city of Atlanta and if you treat it as a 9-5 job and learn the hot spots of the city, it can turn into a decent 40k a year gig. Which FAR exceeds anything I am looking at making right now of which is 9/hr, at 20 hours a week.

Ideas?

Uber isn't really a Job; it's a way of extracting value from a car you own, at the cost of spending time.

Get a fuel efficient car or you get fucked by the gas.

also reliable, you don't want a hybrid

take after the taxi drivers of taipei and buy a toyota camry

Fair, luckily it has a good 6-7 years left in it before I'd like to replace it anyway.

Takes 20 to fill, takes a few days to expend the full tank.

Got that too.

Don't think of uber as a job

Think of it as borrowing money against your car

1) University is a waste of time. Start working in your field and part time school if you desire it. School isn't a full time thing unless you are a faggot that cant handle more than a part time job. Marketing is rather bullshit but if you like it, great. enjoy.

2) $40k/year before expenses/taxes? Thats shit. Even if it's after... you think you are excited to drive around with drunk bitches and nigros fucking your car up? You excited for your "co-workers" to be foreigners who drive taxi because they don't speak enough English to get a real job?

Uber is a ponzi scheme ready to collapse as soon as the investment musical chairs stops. It's a flawed premise and it is using your assets to "pay" you at an abnormally low rate.

Final answer: Trick.

>Fair, luckily it has a good 6-7 years left in it before I'd like to replace it anyway.

Not 6-7 years if you drive it for a living.

>Takes 20 to fill, takes a few days to expend the full tank.

bullllll shit. Your car got half the tank size of a prius? done lie about your numbers nigga.

My Firebird takes $35 to fill up in Cali...

You fucking do want a hybird, TAX, Insurance, fuel costs all will go down and in the taxi game thats a big deal.
That and, no one on my fleet has reliability issues, theres more choice than just a Prius, even staying at toyota.
Were talking saving an extra days work every week in savings. Thats a lot.

Uber isn't going to pay you forever. It will replace you with driverless cars the second that's legal.

Can you hustle out of your Uber? Like sell chips/candy? Maybe sell t-shirts on event nights like the superbowl.

Miles per gallon?

Great idea. Sell water or candy. I bet you would do great

Buy/sell tickets?

wtf does "borrowing money against your car" mean?

Using your car to make other people money while you get a percrntage cut is what he means you damn idiot. Theres a reason Uber founders are rich and you arent.

a lot of drivers give out water and mints for free so they can get better ratings. I doubt people would look well one you trying to hawk your wares.

well 1 its stupid because its not borrowed money. 2 the founders of ubers are rich because they are fed by all drivers, you are one driver. 3, you could negotiate percentage cut by using a different app

Selling you car in $10 installments is more apt

A taxi driver once tried to sell me cocain, you can try that

Marketing is a fine major. Better than general business, not as good as finance or accounting. If you like it though then go for it, it is fairly easy to get a marketing job if you get an internship and study hard.

On Uber do a lot of research on the insurance cases. You will be in big trouble if you get in a wreck, your fault or not, while you are on the clock at Uber. Your insurance will likely drop you in that case. Laws vary from state to state so just do research on your area.

Uber sucks. Even if you play it just right it ends up being about 10 bucks an hour. Not very good.

Not buying it.
>Are U Gay?

Thats like the bus tours for old people

do you have that in the US
here in germany they give pensioners free bus tours to sights and then they drive the whole day throught the ugly part of the city
(the sights gets only visited for 10min) and they force the old people to buy expensive mattres´s or kitchen machines
they apply slight pressure and give the people that feeling
>if i dont buy that they will never stop driving
they make the old people feel quilty for not buying
>the old people buy something beccause they got the tour for free they feel quilty
the people are usualy instructed by professional psychiatrist´s

these tours are called Kaffefahrt
wich mean Coffe tour

You've gotta chill the fuck out, and get your life together.
I'm assuming you're in America.
Go into Business School, get federal grants to pay for most of it, and work some piece of shit part-time job until you know something better.

How the fuck do you work in a "field" without going to uni? What jobs are you even talking about? Everything that pays more than minimum wage these days requires a 4 year degree.

surround yourself with the field

if you aren't reading up on topics, you are working on a practical project, if you arent doing that, you are networking with other people, if you arent doing that then you are reading up some more

doesn't work with all fields but for some business tier shit it'll work fairly easily

not really anymore. nobody has ever checked that i have a degree. it doesn't mean much to anyone unless you're competing for really serious entry level spots or we're talking about govt, post-doc shit, legal work etc.

you can also just get a degree from a cc or online if you're too stupid to start in the field you want today. 4 year degrees only show that you can understand how to keep a routine and prepare for a problem set (test). you could get one in communications and still work anywhere you want.

as for your question, volunteer or intern or just learn the conceptual skills from books and free courses. normally if you're interested in a field it means you already have some experience with it so you should know how to talk to people and gain opportunities, but if you have no fucking idea then start reading everything you can and talk to recruiters and other entry level employees if you can find them.