/domg/ - Dominions General

Ermor edition.

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-"""progress""" wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin (NEEDS UPDATING NERDS)
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Fuck you, /rsg/.

Previous Pantokrator:

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453&highlight=debug
pastebin.com/65x6ssJ7
boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/170169391/#q170328064
boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/167795667/#168010653
drive.google.com/file/d/0B3IGmBe9vPavc0dkdVFReUs5RGs/view
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MagusAssistance
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what's the best nation to make arrows rain?

Machaka.

Vanarus

too bad that I can't stand EA and MA MAchaka is crap

Btw, are there some viable strategies with MA Machaka? I can see nothing good coming from spiders

My hunch is that Ghost King really needs Awe.

>Didn't add new links

Sigh. At least this idiot didn't forget the "fuck you /rsg/"

>Noob questions answered
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Debugger guide and download
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453&highlight=debug

Don't forget it for the next new thread you Rejectors!

Pretender thoughts and general tips for Vanarus?

So Steam has broken and I can't run Dominions. Trying to fix it, but if I stale in any of the following games, that is why:

HehNothingPersonnel Berytos
EAChineseNewYears Pangea
MAdman Nazca
aBoneToPick Nazca
JobbingToXibalba Vanheim
TheWheelHasTurnedOnceAgain Man
MasterTheCircle Phuidh
TeachingFeeling Asphodel

Alright, I felt like I've gotten all the suggestions I can, so with the new thread, we have the roster poll for our VGL team.

pastebin.com/65x6ssJ7

Let's hope we'll hear our goalhorn a lot this summer!

can't you just run it from its folder?

Open it from your folder.

N9 Black Hunters are fun memes but I wouldn't call it a good strat.

Is this a pretender?

you really don't want to stale

hi guys
relatively noob here

how do I MA Ashdod?

thank you

Oh christ

N9E4 or N9E9, gold scales, rush a neighbour in year1, snowball from there.

boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/170169391/#q170328064
ctrl+f vanarus

also boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/167795667/#168010653

THE WHEEL HAS TURNED ONCE AGAIN

Well good golly that worked just fine! Thanks folks!

that's the dom3 debug mod
drive.google.com/file/d/0B3IGmBe9vPavc0dkdVFReUs5RGs/view
is the dom4 debug mod

>works both ways if you catch my drift

Try it dom3 mod works on dom4. Also that link doesn't explain how to implement it for noobs who don't recognize the file types. The map doesn't work however.

If bolts count LA Man.

>not LA Ulm
Dont even need to buy blockers for them.

Reminder to never ever get diplomacy'd by malakal

This alliance has worked very well for him though, gave him lots of gems and helped expand.

Reminder to join llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=MagusAssistance

11 players is probably fine, maybe we'll start without ermor

The map has 12 starting positions for land nations though. It would be really unbalanced if someone got ~6 free provs because he doesn't have a neighbour he's supposed to have.

>that pic
F

I want to join as MA Atlantis, but I'm having a hard time hitting 12 provinces without an awake

doesn't MA Atlantis have kinda shit sacreds, you can afford an awake

MA Atlantis has kinda shit everything.

I want to take the god that gives me W/D/S dormant for better scales

Use lobsters.

You have a whole lake for yourself on that map.

Yeah, but it's really slow clearing them with reef warriors and I don't want to use lobsters that are going to be stuck in the lake

>I don't want to use troops that expand easily
>I have trouble expanding!
I can't help you, user.

also I want coasts for the cheap research mages, since someone said I need to spam those

I also said you need lobsters. It should be obvious you need coastal forts no matter the mages to get a foothold on land, but atlantis just so happens to have 45 gold researchers which is nice.

How does the Hall of Fame work? How can this guy who hasn't even killed anybody have beeen up there with thugs who have killed hundreds of enemies?

He was probably just leading troops for a long ass time

I guess you can become famous among the troops for trying to suicide yourself in every battle, if they mistake it for leading a charge.

He's last on that list. So even if the guys in front of him racked a lot of kills, there aren't any more guys of that caliber to bypass him.

Also note that Melee kills push you up the list faster than just ones by spells. So frying a 1000 longdead with Firestorm won't get you to the top in itself (those kills still matter, but not by nearly as much). After melee kills it looks into experience (you get XP for fighting in melee, but also for just participating in a battle).

This nigga been trying hard

won't immortals heal afflictions?

Basically col. stinkmeaner.

>Morale 17
At least he hasn't given in yet!

Eventually he will, but with that many it'd take a while to.

I'm really happy he still has an arm for his crutch even though he's lost both eyes and has zero combat skills

Gaeni
those icthyids are in my capring, you can use it for UW shenanigans but I'll need it back

Six respones so far. I'm going to bed now, but the poll will stay open for a few days. If you haven't taken the poll yet, I'd appreciate it if you did.

Good stuff here. Thanks!

That's no problem. I'll leave it with no PD, and even send you a rent check each turn.

Okay, well, I got it to work, but I have a bunch of troops sitting around collecting wages that can't leave my pond, and this triggers my autism in just the worst way.

Take your turns.

Actually, you know what, it's fine. I don't need the ichtyids.

How does the negative dominion hit of the Heretic trait work? Looking particularly at a few of the mages of Machaka, who have the heretic trait. Is it something that only effects the province they are in? Or does it also cause checks in all surrounding slots?

I'm assuming I should try and locate the ones who will be researching mostly in a single prov?

It's like a preacher that works against any candle present in the province, be it yours or not.

Ideally you want them in enemy candles working those down, or in a neutral candle province where they at least won't eat yours. But if it's deep in your dominion it doesn't matter if they're in the same or in different provinces, they got candles to eat regardless.

Man I hate icthyids

FUCK YOU

You came to the wrong general motherfucker

Do spells that leave damaging clouds on the battlefield trigger blood vengeance? I'm thinking fire cloud and that one death cloud spell.

What the fug, seriously? What's wrong with you?

Come at me degenerates, I'm eating fish fingers for dinner.

I've heard both.

>ichtyids
>"""""good"""""
>do not even have their own nation
Ichtyid lovers on suicide watch.

>crystal and garnet amazons don't have their own nation
>this means they're bad

EA Pelagia has national ichtyids

>being not even a secondary, but a TERITARY race of a nation
Ichtyids get cucked once again!

Fir bolgs are 4th tier for Fomoria (fomorian giants, fomorian cursed, nemedians, then fir bolg)

That's what they get for being worse than ichtyids.

>Ichtyids are literally worse than elves
Its like pottery, fishfags on suicide watch

They trigger it. Only cloud that doesn't is Poison Cloud, which has nothing to do with being a cloud but with being poison.

Newbie question here, could you explain this ichtyid meme? Why are people so passionate about ichtyids here? To me they're just random troups in neutral provinces... are they even worth recruiting if you can recruit them and already have amphibious troups?

They are better than most of MA Atlantis's troops but that isnt saying much. They are stronger than you would expect though with their nets and I have seen them kill multiple awake monster gods.

It's kind of a forced meme from a handful of people saying I LOVE ICHTYIDS instead of just some variant of 'ded' when bumping the thread off page 10.

They're remarkably good with their nets, and super cute

And I love them

Hey guys let's talk about sequence order. Does magic movement cause stealth units to unstealth and attack the province? If so can you block troop movement with magic movement?

If a stealth unit is already in the province set to attack, it will join in magic phase combat (if that's what you're asking). Otherwise, stealthed units set to attack join normal phase combat. Stealthy units set to hide, sneak into a different province or sneak and attack a different province do not join magic phase attacks. It is possible to block troop movement with magic movement by cutting off units moving 2 or more spaces through friendly territory or by routing some of the friendly commanders. If a unit is normally stealthy but set to Attack, it is not stealthed and follows normal, not-stealthy mechanics.

Yes, if you launch a magic phase attack and have stealthed units in that province attack, both the magicers and stealthers will attack as one.

Yes, if you take over a province the enemy was moving through (but not into) it'll negate their move.

Fun fact - stealthed units in a province set to attack used to always count as a magic phase attack. The change made Raiel sad.

Recruit Defenders and your crossbowmen ARE the blockers.

Which means you had to buy as many blockers as ranged units.
Loser.

ded

Well, then, why don't we perk things up a bit by someone posting a link to ripped version's download site so I can try this shit out

What turns would you say the divisions between early, middle, and late happen, in general?

Middle starts when some blesswhore's army gets crushed by Theurge Teamwork.
Late starts when somebody munches an army with a supercombatant.

No, middle starts when the first person goes AI because they got blessrushed and are too shitty to stop it.

Late starts when quadbless mictlan's lands are running on a skeleton economy.

I tend to define game phases by when the last phase's tech stops working.
is about right, but late game is more about battlefield clear to me than SCs, since SCs die to solid mage support.

The other thing though is that there's no real, like, single early middle or late game phase. Some armies get stopped dead by rigor mortis + skelly spam and that'd mark a transitory period for someone who had won their first war off of E buffs on elite units, but fire elementals ignore it and the nation that rushed conj wouldn't consider it more than a reminder to always bring enough gems to burn through the skelly spammers.

Next to Evo 5/Const 2, how fast should EA Caelum research Parting of the Soul? Is it worth it to dip that far into Thaum before Fog Warriors against other nations who have evo spam?

You should get conj 5 before either, and if you tell me you're using cons to build quills, I will ask you politely, but firmly, to stop doing that.

No, its not very good.

It is really good, actually. Just high research

I'm not him, but are you implying that building quills is bad? I'm not even asking about Caelum in particular

It's bad for any national that uses air gems in combat, which is any nation that has A2+ mages.

quills are fine for, like, Ulm and Yomi, but nations like Caelum, Fomoria, and Elves want every air gem they can lay their hands on to win wars.

I see, that's clear now, thanks!