Generators and other useful resources
pastebin.com/aeg28Ktm (embed)
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
yanfly.moe/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing

The /rpgmg/ podcast:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A

Latest SteelZeroes Demo!
mediafire.com/?7j353lkhfpnnx27

Tomb of Friends demo: pep.itch.io/tomb-of-friends-demo

The Long Road demo:
gamejolt.com/games/thelongroad/236740

/rpgmg/ Discord:
discord.gg/CPvWzJK

Chain Game: Chapter 2
dropbox.com/s/0pn5b7e29gdrz1y/CollabProj-2.zip?dl=0
Chapter 3 in progress | Gemini

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/4c_nathan_music/sets/portfolio
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Post progress Anons!

I did worthless edits today.

Would it be a good idea to have the main character, who is not a majorly important person, suffer amnesia at the start of the game, where he just forgets his name (until you enter a new name) and the lore of most of the world he's in, but nothing else beyond that, just as an excuse to have stuff explained to him and the player, despite him living in this world?

I kinda want to say that the MC having amnesia is overused but it works well enough.

I think that's called low hanging fruit. Everyone's touched it; nobody wants it.

You just want an excuse for a blank slate, right? Amnesia works fine for that, even if it is cliched.

Just have them wake up from a bad hangover. Otherwise, there are better ways to tell your story than selective amnesia.

give mc alzheimer's

I'm likely going to make a game with a Punch Out type of battle system, where it revolves around dodging choreographed attacks, and attacking during openings. I have a couple concerns I'm pondering about, though.

>asset creation
Lots of animation frames. Very time consuming.

>battle scene's horizontal camera panning
I want to make use of multiple layered parallax. Like if you launch an enemy upwards, each layer will pan itself downwards a bit depending on their intended distance.

In Punch Out, you have these small sidesteps available to you, and I know it'll look really cool to have the background pan itself around a bit when you dodge with it. Think Golden Sun's subtle(?) panning in its battle scenes. The problem is, the enemy sprite will always be facing directly downward. If there's too great of a panning, it'll give the impression that the enemy's somehow spinning around and constantly facing the player. This would be much easier to deal with if I were working with 3D models.

My current plan is to just severely limit the implied horizontal distance the sidesteps are moving, which will then mean the background panning will be limited. It won't be as visually impressive, but it'll avoid the enemy quick spinning problem.

>setting
As far as plot goes, I don't know/care and people probably don't want to give suggestions for it, but the.. setting itself, I need ideas for. Like, I don't think I want to do a tournament kind of thing like Punch Out. I'm leaning towards it being like a more normal RPG, but with random encounters just always leading to 1v1 battle scenes instead of XvY. I think the onslauht of individual encounters against random skeletons will be boring eventually, though. I'm not sure what I'll be doing about this.

Well I thought the character wouldn't be a complete blank slate. He would remember people he knows, and local events, it wouldn't be the kind of amnesia that makes it hard for him to do things in every day life, it would just be the larger scale knowledge that he wouldn't remember, so the player can learn about this world through him without it seeming strange for him to ask these questions normally.

>the player can learn about this world through him without it seeming strange for him to ask these questions normally
There's a narrative device you need. A second party member. The 'Gus.'

On the show 'Recess,' Gus was the new kid, and was used to legitimize all the exposition. The kids weren't telling the audience; they were telling Gus, because he's new in town and didn't know the culture/folklore of the school.

You don't need amnesia to explain things to the audience. You need someone tagging along with the MC who needs everything explained to him. If you don't need them later, just have the MC give them a tour of the town.

Alternatively, you could do a better job of 'showing' the information. People have feelings about upcoming events. Someone is dreading the town festival because they don't have a date. Someone read about a world-ending prophecy and they hope it hits their mother-in-law first.

Hope this helps

>God Hand
Good taste

This sounds like a very neat idea but I have to wonder if the RPG Maker is really the best tool for a system like this. It seems like a lot of work, but on the other hand using any other engine would also result in a lot of work.
Are you going for a real time battle system or a turn based one?

As for the setting, you could do anything really.
You could do some dark underground MMA thing where the MC is forced to fight but maybe a more light-hearted narrative would be better.
I can totally see the main character being some sort of (gentleman) pugilist who beats up vile ruffians.
If you were to go with a fantasy setting you could make some really interesting fights, who wouldn't want to punch demons/angels/flora/fauna in the face?

And yes the game like this should have no random encounters. All fights should be meaningful.

What do you think about progression?
All moves already unlocked by the beginning? Unlocking moves by advancing the story or by finding new equipment?

Why not just have the character be from another country? That way, he can have cultural stuff explained to him easy peasy. Not only that, but if he ever brings the rest of his party back to visit his country, he can explain things to them, so it works in both directions.

How often do you backup your game, /rpgmg/?

I build the files on a Dropbox/Google drive, so that it's always backed up.

That is a possible idea, but then you still get the whole "explain things that these characters should know simply by living there" problem. But with idea, maybe I'll consider having the 'Gus' be a visitor from another country who has no knowledge of local things. I appreciate the help folks.

>trusting the cloud with your files
I hope you're not planning on going commercial, because that shit will get stolen faster than you can say 'fuck'.

I'm not. My game is freeware.

Oh. Carry on.

Whenever I make progress
I once lost half a novel because I was dumb and had no backups.
Never again.

I back up stories I write every time I make a notable change. Generaly every chapter has about ten drafts.

Tell me about the first project you made

I'm still making it.

It looked like shit and the maps were using default assets
Protag is a sociopathic silent protag that turns out to be the final boss
I ended up tacking on a lot of dumb optional shit, difficulty options, and a pretentious alternate ending
Database was a nightmare
Game was complete with ~7 crappy dungeons, almost nothing in-between, and poor guidance.
Never released it out of shame
and this all happened in middle school
It might be the cringiest thing I've ever done, but I call it experience

Alright. There was this dude, Cleric01. I named him Vox or Nox or something like that...I was going through this White Mage as protagonist phase...anyways he lived with 2 other guys. Gunner1 and I dunno who else, they were suppose to be a "guild" (I didn't know how guilds work)
So the first thing I made was their house. A living room and 3 bedrooms. They didn't have doors because I didn't know the trick to walk under doorways. So I imagined the lack of privacy meant they were really comfortable around each other and took baths together. So I put a pool in the front room...and I made a bunch of secret passage ways and switches because back then Tomb Raider was still fresh in my mind and exploring the Croft Mansion and finding the treasure room was really fun.
But back to the story...he was the new guy to the guild. It starts off with a initiation ritual inspired by different manhood rituals I read/seen, where he strips naked, swims across water, symbolizing his shed childhood, and then gets a brand or tattoo. But my hormonal teenage brain wanted to entertained this idea from this funny craigslist post, a male bonding 3-way involving crystals.
And nothing panned out after that, because I'd drift off into la la land imagining a society built on free love and casual sex whenever you wanted it.

>"Hey guy want to join our guild?"
>"Drop your pants and take this crystal"

>Waiting for Lecode to release 0.7
Tbh, I want version 1 but that ain't happening soon.

It was more like
>"We're in dire need of a white mage. "
>"There's a handjob in it for you and a free place to live."
Talk about wish-fulfillment, amirite? Yikes, sexual themes aside, the real fantasy was this perfect world where you'd be inherently needed and accepted and people come to you (no pun intended),your place in the world fit perfectly like a puzzle piece.
If I were to make this game today, the reality would be totally different. The position of white mage would be filled by someone who's terrible at it. You'd have to change your class to something you're terrible at just to be part of the guild. The guild doesn't care about you, it doesn't even care about itself. They don't need you, and even if they did - they'd hate you for it.

Bump

How old are your partymembers?
Are you going for a bunch of teenagers?
1000 years old lolis?

My protag is just a kid who ended up being the next hero in the cycle. She's maybe 13 or 14 and has no idea what she's doing. The other party member is an ageless essence of fire.

Whenever I hear about someone else losing all of their work. It happens often enough that I wonder if they're just lying to themselves/others so that they feel less guilty about making little progress.

Regardless, I still make a backup of my files that very second.

Back in 2000 or thereabouts. It's a territorial dispute where a guy on one end of the island gathers three friends, walks to the west end of the island, and kills the other guy.

It'd absolutely be much more reasonable to do it in a 3D engine, but right now isn't the time for me to experiment with a new engine. It'll be real-time, yeah.

>progression
The dream game would have as wide a moveset as God Hand, because I really enjoy extensive customization. Each new move would increase the asset creation work load extensively, though.

Right now, I'm just thinking of the essential functions
>attack
>launcher
>air-targeted
>sweep
>knockback(?)

I just know having spells will allow me to use the same casting animation for the player, so there will be a number of magic spells.

Knockback is a possibility, because I might incorporate an element of distance. It'd visibly be represented by shrinking the enemy sprite if it's meant to be farther away.

With distances, something like JJBA: the 7th stand user? Close range attacks whiffing far opponents, but far attacks not doing much up close?

Stay alive

bump

Work on your game.

after i do my mobile game dailies

If you have time for Battle Cats you have time to make progress

What is the secret to not lose motivation?

Set small, achievable goals. Work on one at a time.

Keep working even when you aren't motivated.

Motivation and willpower will fail you always.

Also what this () guy said because even if it doesn't motivate you, small goals are doable.

Masturbate a lot

tell me about your protagonist and their party

a bunch of goofballs hellbent on changing their surroundings

After reading the amnesia question at the start of the thread I was reminded of this idea I had.

Do you think you could use amnesia as some kind of bait and switch tactic? Like instead of having generic MC forgets everything, you could spend the first half or so of the game in a specific setting with specific characters. Then have the character awake in a completely different setting with completely different characters years later who talk to him as if they've known him for years.
I think it could help relate to the MC in the amnesia sense better than just starting the game like that, because after spending hours in one place and time with specific characters, the jarring change would leave both the MC and player confused.

Or is that just stupid?

like they were frozen in time or something?

I was the most productive when I was able to look back at the day's work and think
>yeah, this is some fucking good shit

It was reaally easy to work an entire day when I could see it turning into something godlike.

I was thinking a series of events happens like he loses his old friends/they die, moves to a new location, and lives there for years and befriends the people. Then some kind of head injury or accident or something causes some form of retrograde that affects the years that the life changing events happens. So the last thing that they remember was their old life but in reality they've moved on but don't remember that.

I really like this idea.

meant to say retrograde amnesia

A young aristocrat who has been cursed to have the body of a ten year old.

bump

mabumpdyne

Has anyone ever made a program to make autotiles for VX Ace? I can't wrap my head around them

>Reflect bump
Psssh, nothing personnal kiddo

It's really not that complicated. Just take your time and read a tutorial, and you'll be fine!

Does anyone want some music? I have some free time. Here's my portfolio so you know I'm not a shitposter. I've done music for /agdg/ and /rpgmg/. It's in alphabetical order so the rpgm music is at the bottom. This isn't all my music-
just stuff I've made for other people.

soundcloud.com/4c_nathan_music/sets/portfolio

If you want a piece, just reply with:
* The mood you want (happy, sad, mysterious, etc)
* The context of the music, even if very basic like "someone died". The more detailed the better, however.
* The style of the music. MIDI, real instruments, chiptune, a specific console sound, etc.
* A screenshot of your game. I know it's silly but I don't want to make you a song if you're an idea guy with no game. Nothing fancy just proof you're doing something.

What happens when a person is bumped instead of a thread?

Now I wish I was making a game so I could ask you for something.

Alas.

Nonetheless, if you deliver unto the first person who asks you legitimately, you are a mensch.

Hmm. It's a slow general so ask for something anyway. If I don't get any requests in a few hours or very few requests, I might do it anyway for fun. If I do I'll just put it at the end of the line.

useful resource

I don't have a screenshot of my game yet but I have portraits and shit that I'm working on, if that works.

I regret that the general is slow, but I have recently become interested in lurking and learning about RPG Maker so...ah well. What I have learned at least is a little interesting.

In any case, here's my request just in case you don't get any.

*Anxious/Excited
*Social Embarrassment: The Debutante Trips after her introduction to society.
*Really, anything will do.

Is it just me or does the link not work?

I should add that I stole it from blog.rpgmakerweb.com, didn't make it myself.

Spooky characters, user. I like the one on the left.

Isn't just you.

Thanks. Here's his portraits.

Anxious or excited. Introduction to society. Alright I think I have a picture. Would you be willing to elaborate a little more on the context?

The playlist and tracks were set to private. I thought sharing the link would work but I don't think it did. Should be fixed now?

doot

Works fine now, yes.

Works now.

She gets to the bottom of the stairs of her family's mansion and trips, bloodying her nose, causing a great deal of embarrassment in a moment that should have been another good note in her illustrious family's history.

Also I'm listening to your music from the link and you got some good shit. You oughta sell your services to projects looking to commercialize.

Alright, one more question. Is this song more of a goofy tone or a sad tone. Embarrassing/anxious/excited moods can go both ways sometimes.

>Also I'm listening to your music from the link and you got some good shit. You oughta sell your services to projects looking to commercialize.
Thank you very much, user! I'd love to someday but I have issues with getting overwhelmed easily and not finishing anything, so I prefer not to contract myself. Plus I'm not as good as professional composers. Maybe someday!

Neat! It's cool to see someone's progress on their own characters. I'm still working with testing ideas through little oneshot games and RTP assets, but I hope I can do something original one day. Good luck, user.

Oh shit, I never noticed your reply! I'm so sorry user!
I'll take your request anyway if you have one.

Goofy or sad, that's a hard one. I'd argue it's tense, which is closer to sad than goofy.

It might be funny to people watching, but it's easily the worst moment in the character's life up until that point.

>I'm not as good
Only way you learn is more experience. And some of that is bloodying your nose on failures, for better or worse.

I hope for your success in whatever you try to do, nonetheless.

No problem!

*Melancholic and mournful
*Final boss music against a boss that doesn't fight back. It can't fight back. And it won't fight back.
*Whatever you want. However, if it contained some kind of simple motif that I could work back from to construct my own music, that would be super cool (I'm trying to make most of the music for my own game but I'm really not that great at music).

Tense. Alright I've got a sense of what you want now. I'll jot it down on a sticky note and get to it if I have the time.
>I hope for your success in whatever you try to do, nonetheless.
Thank you very much, user.

Alright, sounds easy enough. Would you mind elaborating on why the final bass does not fight back? Might help me get a feel.
>contained some kind of simple motif that I could work back from to construct my own music
Can do.

Oh and by the way I am not a fast worker typically. Please don't assume that I dropped your request if you don't hear from me for a little bit. If for whatever reason I need to drop it, I'll tell you.

The entire game takes place in a metaphysical prison that's a cross between the main character's subconscious and a kind of purgatory. The final boss is the prison's "heart", since it has created its own consciousness separate from its origin. Since, in the setting, true new minds and souls cannot be created from nothing, the prison is in incredible pain and has to be mercy killed: since it's a fragment of the MC, if it dies, the MC can become whole again, but otherwise the prison will become whole if the MC dies, and it wants to be nothing again.

If that makes sense.

I operate under the assumption that you're not going to deliver until you deliver, so the bar for disappointing me is pretty high

Alright, I think I have all the info I need. Thank you!

Just making sure

>mansion.mp3
Oh, I remember requesting that song a year ago or so!
Fantastic that you are still here.

someone got inspired by space funeral i see

same as it every was
same as it every was
same as it every was

Has it already been that long? Yikes. Feels like it was yesterday

I don't get it. What's the joke

This is not my beautiful skele-wife!

>every
you done messed up user

THIS IS NOT MY BEAUTIFUL HOUSE
THIS IS NOT MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE

LETTING THE DAYS GO BY

LET THE WATER HOLD ME DOWN

I hate guessing at what people might want/need in their games.

I need anime tiddies.

I need some prop ideas

With chibi sprites? I don't think that can be helped.
I did see some MV sex templates on Pixiv though.