/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

DEMONSedition

Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date, but we can hope):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12games.com/robots.txt
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Still
strawpoll.me/12842625
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Magma_piston
mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2362-superdefenses
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for bee farming

Who are the farmers

bay12games.com/robots.txt
Bastard Toady disavowed archive.org. I just wanted to check the old dev.html pages.

>one of my pump operators gets beaten to death by the fortress guard for violating a production order
>mayor currently has no production orders

did it just go away after the sentence was carried out?

For you

who else would be fit for the job

A bee is fine too.

Hey man, bandwidth can be a pain. I can't believe how fat my browser felt using ABP instead of uBlock origin, between the "cram thousands of CSS rules in every page" shit and actually loading shit before downloading and blocking it... fuck, I guess they are a bit more obscure but "for advanced users" or not, just turn on the defaults and you're better off than adblock+noscript.

>posts new thread up two posts early
>quads it
Bet you think you're slick huh?

It sentence was issued when it went away. If the production order still existed it wouldn't be violated yet. The "crime" occurs when the order expires unfulfilled.

Just starting df and its easier than I thought it would be. Is most the difficultly just having to look shit up? I mean its annoying but once you learn its easy to repeat ingame

I made a mod that removed all fantasy from the game and replaced it with real life stuff but now the game is too easy, what should i add/change to make the game harder?

Never in my memory has Liberal Crime Squad been a more topical game.

post modern themes like man vs reality

Have you considered adding some fantasy elements?

The whole point of it was to try to mod a realistic dwarf fort.
Turned out it wasnt that fun but making it was.

Should i add zombies/aliens/elder god worshipping cultists now to fill the empty void?

Here we are!

Thanks!
Will do.

I was joking, but sure.
Aliens could be cool. Xenomorphs, predators, Mars Attacks!-style little green men, Kryptonians, the thing from The Thing... Lots to choose from. Or don't choose and make a space invaders mod. I'd try it. Go wild, fampai.

>mfw user makes dwarf fort: SS13 edition

Muslims

feel like drawing the OP's demon doing something creepy like playing chess with humans

Why does the grass have to flash in the wind. I cant play like this

lovecraft plz. i want cultists and elder gods

Thank god, I changed the tileset and the grass no longer flickers. Fuck obsidian or whatever that was

If I don't set the priority to 1 will they not work or something? They are just standing around

nice, cowboys and dorfs

So it's just medieval earth, but with dwarves? are there goblin towers? What lives in the caverns? Do FB's show up?

I'm intrigued, would almost like to try it. It would also be a great base for modding off of. Definitely at least save a copy of it like that. Too many mods leave almost the entire vanilla game there, plus custom stuff.

beginner here,
just had my first winter without all my dwarf dying of thirst.
Now it is spring, the river is flowing, i wonder if there is a way to stock water in barrel in prevision?

I can only find tetrahedrite and native gold FUCK

Why water? It's better and easier to make wine and beer.

If you don't know how, see dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Still

Also if you really want water it's probably better to build a well than to store water in a barrel.

There is currently no way to get liquids into barrels. Its probably going to be a feature soon, since you can buy blood filled barrels and stuff from trade caravans.

The only way to store up water is to build a cistern. Which basically involves digging a pit inside the fort and putting a zone over it designated as a "pit/pond" zone. dfwiki should have an article on it

Also, if your dwarves are drinking any water at all, you are playing the game wrong. Don't let your booze stocks dip below 100

>since you can buy blood filled barrels
Never seen this. Can you tell me what happened when you found it?

Not him, but caravans bring them all the time.

They also bring barrels with sweat and tears from various creatures.

Dragon tears are cute, CUTE!

Are you telling me that elves can bring me BARRELS OF DWARVEN TEARS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I think they only bring body liquids from animals hey have as pets.

I also think it implies slaughtering the animal.

/v/starsector

Do entities use traps in worldgen?

because if so than wars between dwarves and elves could have hilarious outcomes as they often do

how long do you guys let worldgen run for and whats the longest you've let it go?

i don't think i've made a world longer than 150 years

I need more crossovers between DF and legend of the galactic heroes
I NEED MORE

stippling

Found this on Tarn's Wikipedia entry.

Well it doesn't.

In the linked interview, he mainly critised how mainstream games in general, and mmos in particular, have these persistent infrastrucutures for tracking progress (i.e. achievement systems, developing mmo characters as a "persona" that can never die permanently, etc).

In DF, you always start from a blank slate, everytime you gen a new world. Nothing carries over from one world to the next. The soundsense fag implemented an achievement system IIRC, but thankfully, we'll never have one in the base game.

He's not wrong. It's well known that mmos use methods to addict users to the grind and keep them playing the game.

I know, i just found it funny how that line from wikipedia implied that DF players don't have compulsive hoarding traits. Even though the game is literally about hoarding as much value as you can.

Dwarven spaceships would be planetoids with propulsion systems attached, so they could imagine that they were actually just inside the earth and didn't get space-sick.

Now that you mention it, yeah, probably.

Those cockpits, completely surrounded by glass, would probably frighten a dorf beyond belief. They'd feel completely exposed to the emptiness of space, and there would be no cover for them if the spacecraft was lit up from the outside.

Whats stopping you from making a simplistic Dwarven temple fort, with its beliefs completely rooted into asceticism and making sure that you only have just enough food and water for everybody in the fort and making sure to never trade anything with anybody?

Ive been thinking about this pretty hard but i still cant decide between the two so im making a poll.
strawpoll.me/12842625
Ive started to work on both of them for the fun of it but i'll start focusing my attention on the winner so i'll have atleast one of them finished in a reasonable time.

Pretty much yes, i removed every fantasy aspect of the game other than the civilized races. Goblins still build towers but that can be changed easily. Stuff like cave bears still exists but its pretty empty.
I couldnt remove hardcoded stuff like vaults, FBs, demons etc but you can disable them in world generation i suppose.

I'll upload the file as soon as possible, right now i dont have access to the computer with the files.

>We need another slogan!

Huh, that does fit the definition that popped up. Hurray for things I know but didn't know I knew!

Sounds like the Xeelee Nightfighter that Bolder rode in.

Was an open framework with an acceleration couch glued inside and that's it.

Beginner here,
Is there a way to change the size/share of the 3 screens?
i am talking about the detailed view screen where you move the cursor and play, the gameplay screen where you see what you can do with the keyboard, and the overview screen on the right (broader and less detailed view of the area)
Like toggle on/off the overview screen because it is huge and i do not use it much yet

press [tab] a couple of times.
check the wiki sometime too

Oh wow this is a nice embark.

perfect thanks.
I check the wiki for all the gameplay related stuff, but for settings i prefer to ask you guys, (advise on do/do not)

It's not as convenient a resource as the wiki but esc > key bindings is where you can see/change all those, they're mostly screen based (so r on one screen can mean "dig a ramp" while on another it can me "repeat this job" and so forth) except for the top couple of headings.

Does the icon guide take creature graphics into account?

Apparently the wiki says i'm pretty lucky to have a sedimentary layer next to my volcano, right off the bat mining hematite. Brought with me 7 miners, going to hollow the volcano out or something. make a sacrificial altar above the volcano

what do you guys do for fun with volcanos or magma?

thanks!

Very nice.

The in game one? I don't think so, that would be enormous and depend on the graphics set, but if anyone has graphics installed and wants to check, please do so. The one I posted a compilation of is based on an upscaled version of the vanilla 640x300 tileset.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Magma_piston

It doesn't, now that I looked.

The militiadorfs show up with the soldier tile because they still take the soldier tile into account, but that's it.

The child shows up as an adult, for example.

How long have you people played this game?

Just started yesterday and im really enjoying myself even though i have no clue what im doing. How do i stop wildlife from harassing/stealing from me though?

My compulsive hoarding tendencies.

For about a year and a half I think, I've lost track.

>How do i stop wildlife from harassing/stealing from me
Take your stuff underground.

Usually a magma moat
At some point you'll notice magma is actually infinite, and goes back up to 7/7 after draining some off the reservoir, and with patience, and careful planning, you'll flood the surface, and heat your fort's walls with magmaducts between rooms

also magma minecart shotguns are a thing probably

magma shotgun

since its buggy beginning

its come a long way from what it started out as. still i probably wont live to ever see it finished

Build a wall.
Out of wood

Upgrade your defenses, you knife-ear.
mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2362-superdefenses

I thought magma didn't pressurise?

Or was it different in the past?

Worth a check either way!

>helpless or hopeless?

Fuck. 8 or 9 years now.

Since the werebeast release.
so 2012 or something

since 2010

I doesn't pressurize from gravity, but pumps pressurize it. It hasn't changed.

diseases. you probably do not have enough diseases. also food poisoning and famine

Pumps+minecarts
>Not digging in to a mountain and building a magma shotgun 4z levels above your entrance.

Well damn, guess it's only been 3 years this July? When was 40.05 release, late July?

>A vile force of darkness arrives!
>only one actual goblin, the rest are all dwarves
fug xx--DDD

>GREENED.COM

i dont know what the fuck im doing

more like dorf'd

what is that Graphic set please?

alright, i think im winning. these two dwarves just killed a whole 2 squads and 2 other dwarves of mine died.

>The main highlight this week is the post-mission report screen. When your dwarves come back, they give you a new sort of report that you can view at your leisure from the 'r'eport list. We based the report viewer more or less on the flight/sub sims we played a long time ago, where you get the exact path of your dwarves unfolding on the world map as time advances uniformly, and it gives you historical events as they come on the side, including who they are tangling with during site raids and what happened. The dwarves do seem to be engaged in some buggy jumps on to islands as short cuts, and we'll try to sort as much of that out as we can, but I'm sure this new level of visibility is going to be a cornucopia of bug-fun after the release. In any case, we're ready now to switch over to fort mode diplomacy for next month!

Isn't that uh, Ironhand?

phoebus. i used to use some high def ascii tileset which i honestly prefer more to phoebus. but i can't be bothered changing it around

also these dwarves ended up falling into the hole and doing nothing to help the commander. how deep does a hole have to be to hurt someone that falls into it? because these guys aren't hurt at all and its 3z levels down

ok thanks a lot

On a scale from 'graphics set' to 'pure ASCII', how much bragging rights do you guys have?

None.

DF isn't a performance based game. It's extremely easy once you learn the basics.

well well well what do we have here

oh boy
this will be fun

>wanted to do this with my new fort as it's 8z to the river
>there was even alligators
>river froze in winter
no more gators :

so, the sworddwarf that was with my commander ended up getting a crossbow bolt through the neck and dying but managed to stay alive long enough to kill the attacker. meanwhile my commander managed to not get shot by the remaining marksdwarfs and is currently trying to eat the survivors alive because she lost her mace and actually managed to kill one.

all the while, dwarves are now leaving the fort to gather all the weapons and armour and are left watching the fight go on, not actually helping

All of them.

Huh, been forever since I saw the phoebus dwarves, thought they were an entirely different blob of pixels.

>embark
>there's a tent full of goblins
what
what's the odds on this shit