>still scared to buy american
>he wants an offroad vehicle and/or truck
>he buys japanese

just please, don't do this

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/m-NXqi9UT6g
youtube.com/watch?v=MWgW1NW45o8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

whats even worse are people who buy subaru's and plan on "going offroad" with them

i guess i should use this thread to explain common mistakes that idiots make when purchasing a vehicle they plan on adventuring with....

Tell America that I want an offroad capable vehicle that I can depend on to get me in and out of where I want to go, then I'll think about it.

toyotas are good offroaders

alright fags, listen up

1.) you need ground clearance.
through large tires. this is the absolute most important thing when going offroad. its more important than having 4wd. its more important that having a lift.
your tire is what gives you total ground clearance, but also, is what navigates through hazardous obstacles. the bigger your tire, the smaller the obstacle becomes, this is very prevalent even a single additional inch will make or break the next dip in the ground, or large gouge, or rock.

2.) forest routes in all the good states (CA, OR, WA, UT, NV, CO) and canada require this ground clearance. these states are much different than the faggot shit you are used to if you live anywhere in central america or the east coast. get the idea of buying a subaru out of your head. its not going to work anywhere around here

3.) nissan is junk. just stay away, or learn the hard way.
they use sintered metal gears on the differentials, this is a main driveline component which is both prone to immediate failure and prone to premature wear. and is more costly to fix than an automatic transmission. nissan is absolute junk for offroad. and they don't even have large engines, you need a large engine when going uphill, and you also cant tow anything with a nissan.

4.) toyotas are not really made to handle any of the good places either. you are in for some trouble if you take any pricey toyota shit out here, unless you can really afford to fix something major. dont do it. it will happen, you will be fucked. make sure your toyota didn't cost you more than 5 grand if you plan on coming out to any of the good states

All American cars are garbage. You can thank unions for that

I can only speak for small trucks here but,

TACOMA
A
C
O
M
A

Although only the pre-2004 and then only if you live where snow isn't common or you know the frame was replaced under warranty which is still available free for post-2002s

Reliability wise the original engine and transmission can be expected to run for 300,000+ miles with nothing except regular fluid changes and a preemptive timing belt change if you go with the V-6, if you go with something newer than 2004 the gen-2s tend to have minor rust issues and and the ball joints will need to be replaced at 150,000mi, however the engine and trans are still as solid.

The reason the Tacoma is more expensive than the Dakota or Ranger is because your getting a truck that will on average run 25-30% longer, the both of the other options will have transmission issues starting at around 150,000 miles, and the engine starts to go at 200,000-250,000 (180,000 if you have a SOHC in the Ranger), the Tacoma ends up being cheaper in the long run due to needing less work done on it, however that metric might change depending on how much work your willing to do yourself.

I live in northern nv and my f150 has gotten me through some crazy places, shes been tough and reliable for me so far.

American Top Gear taught me that a small Toyota will do more offroad than a dodge, a ford, or a chevy.

>toyota

Nigger have you seen what the technicals in afghanistan and iraq? If that doesn't prove Toyota's reliablity I don't know what does. Those fuckers attach AA guns to the beds of your average Tundra or Tacoma and they run motherfucker.

If they can handle the dunes of Iraq they can definitely handle any baby trail in America.

>the good states
>literally all cuck states with shit laws and crazy high taxes
Maybe good for visiting

This
The faggot in that post is delusional if he thinks his little forest trails match up to these places

shit dude, that reminds
there is some top secret ultimate offroading in this specific area of nothern NV
and im not even talking about the ruby mountains

this place looks amazing

you are stupid to think any toyota truck made after 2004 is going to be good

really fucking stupid

enjoy paying that chinese mount sirabachi toyota tax for general ford-tier hardware

>Nigger have you seen what the technicals in afghanistan and iraq?
Yes.

>If that doesn't prove Toyota's reliablity I don't know what does.
It does. Not at all.

>Those fuckers attach AA guns to the beds of your average Tundra or Tacoma and they run motherfucker.
Attaching tops a few hundred pounds to the bed of a truck does not affect it's ability to run. This means literally nothing to the reliability.

>If they can handle the dunes of Iraq they can definitely handle any baby trail in America.
Dunes are harsh on people, not automobiles. All you need is a decent cooling system and air filer and dunes are nothing.

The terrorists use them because they're available and common there.
Stop entrusting literal goat fuckers to figure out what truck is the best.

>The reason the Tacoma is more expensive than the Dakota or Ranger is because your getting a truck that will on average run 25-30% longer
Buy a 1 ton truck and it'll last 100-200% longer under the same usage.
If you baby a Ranger the same way the average Taco owner babies his Toyota, it'd last just as long as the Taco.

should also mention
standard truck tires installed on most full-sized trucks are adequate. going an 1-3 inches above this is ideal.

these are very large tires, and will do just fine.
you don't need 4wd unless you are planning on doing jeep trails. and 4wd is mainly for negotiating obstacles while on an incline.
you can visit about 90% of these areas with 2wd alone.

>If you baby a Ranger the same way the average Taco owner babies his Toyota, it'd last just as long as the Taco.

quite true, but also notice how taco owners are actually babies themselves
they buy japanese because they need that safe-space. they always need to be assured something isn't going to break. they need this assurance because they don't actually know what they are doing.
owning a toyota is like a giant red badge of mechanical ignorance.

literally for children who do not belong offroad

Ever heard of a Land Cruiser you poor stupid fuck? Hell even a 4runner with a few mods is a more capable vehicle than most amerishit, and i'm american.

Weaboo

also, you cant take most of the good (pre 2004) tacos offroad without bending your frame anyway. so they are literally worthless

its extremely easy to bend the rear bed

>safespace japanese baby tank

ever heard of a ford f150?
literally just as reliable, only you dont end up looking like a commie faggot on the trails

hey everybody, look at me, jap boy needs his reassurance! vroom vroom! lol

>engine starts to knock at 80,000 mi

No thanks amerishart, I'll stick with my superior jap trucks.

>cares what he "looks like" on the trails

American truck owners everyone

>get stuck on trails
>expect someone to help your antifa faggot ass out

just look at all that reliability bro

youtu.be/m-NXqi9UT6g

Lets be honest here, getting stuck is more of a matter of having shit tires or being stupid, if your not an idiot you should be able to get out of pretty much anything you get yourself into, mechanical failures are really the only thing that can hit you out of the blue which is where most Jap vehicles rise above their American counterparts.

>Toyota "reliability"

Top kek

you don't really know how mechanical failures work tho. they don't ever happen unless you're an idiot
and toyota has been producing plenty of shit since 04
you just don't hear about it because toyota of america corporation knows how to keep its image razor sharp.
talk to any toyota mechanic who has been working at least 10 years. all kinds of pricey failures left and right

toyota owners are about the dumbest they come

of course you never hear about when a toyota fails, because all their owners are simpleton faggots who drive 90% highway miles, none of them are actually put to work like american trucks are. literally none of them.

toyota of america also suppresses the shit out of plenty of things which should be a TSB
they like to specifically hide things that go wrong

how assmad are you? did a toyota exec fuck your gf or something

As a Taco owner, if you got the truck in during the warranty period, (15 years/unlimited mi), Toyota would replace the frame for FREE, and provide you with a rental truck while it was in the shop, people who didn't take their truck in are idiots.

this.

wtf, OP. toyotas can be good and so can fords and chevrolets.

>Chevy

Nigga wat. Show me a good Chevy truck that came out after 1994

V8 single cab chevrolet colorado

or that pickup ute that looked like a PT cruiser

>If they can handle the dunes of Iraq they can definitely handle any baby trail in America.

>(you)

they reliably rust

Imagine being this buttmad because you couldn't afford a Toyota.

Show me harley davidson and indian's extensive lineup of dirtbikes.

*blazes past you and your spotter while you figure out how to get all four wheels over a funny looking rock*

>people who don't like toyota don't know anything

surprise

also, pickup trucks aren't meant for severe offroading. they're for carrying shit down roads, sometimes shitty roads, but roads for the most part, not ultra-technical trails and rock crawls. they're too big to be called offroaders. too big, too long, too heavy, and too wide. they're more like chunks of iron.

The only fucking difference is that one requires more maintenance then the other. If you want to look at the same car interior for 300k mikes then be my guest. I'd drive a Jeep for as long as I'd drive a Taco or a 4Runner before I'd sell it. Hell, I'd probably keep the Jeep longer. There's no reassurance just, longer maintenance periods. Buy what you want just don't be a fucking dick about it.
>inb4 you drive X.
I've driven a little bit of everything.

Please specify by saying "American Toyota". Real toyotas are higher quality than what comes out of that place.

grow a pair... of 5 ton axles.

looks completely useless unless its driving forward

I'll just wait until you can't get through a trail because there's some trees spaced 6 feet apart...

This.
No cup holders.
This especially. Off-roading trucks bigger than a 1500 are the biggest meme. Trucks during the winter are an even bigger one. Mine can hardly handle both.

That's what chainsaws are for. Too bad they're probably illegal there. If your trails are that narrow you'd have more fun on a quad or dirt bike anyways.

>No cup holders

Beer hat.

The real off road champ

Camelback full of monster energy.

Just get a Toyota, they're perfectly capable off roaders.

im just going to leave this here

American SUVs handle like shit, are unrefined, depreciate like a mofo, do 4mpg and are LHD only, you can keep them.

>buy offroader from any country that isn't Russian
Are you perhaps a bit mentally retarded?

Trust me, If we could get new Nivas over here in Burgerland, I'd swap one for my Taco in a heartbeat.

dont sell yourself so short like such a fag

you can buy real military humvee's with low miles and upgraded engines for 25k here
and a humvee is literally the king of offroad

that russian garbage truck is nice, but much rather have a real humvee

>he believes japan makes good trucks
>he takes japanes trucks offroad in america
>he really thinks japan knows how to build a proper offroad vehicle

>he doesn't recognize america as king
>he posts 3rd world garbage

>bonestock

P O S E R

>he actually bought a japanese truck
>he could have literally bought this instead
>it will last 3x longer than any japanese truck
>its diesel
>the entire drivetrain is beyond bullet proof
>literally over 400k before you even need to replace a wheel bearing

>believing in the japanese reliability meme

It isn't even a Tacoma. It's a 91 hilux. Which ALSO had timing chain chatter. Toyotas aren't any more reliable than any other vehicle.

>buys a nippon offroader
>8 years old 10 grands
>what could go wrong. Japs are reliable
>frame snap in half on a parking bump

Do you consider kmart parking lot offroading? Because I'd agree with you on that.

Based Unimog when?

black color

Just hear me out here, sure the Humvee is better for pure offload capability and the initial purchase price is low relative to it's capabilities, but your going to get Jewed with any repairs due to rare and expensive parts and you would need to use and carry an asston of diesel to get anywhere which gets expensive if you have to drive any distance.

Something like the Niva on the other hand,(assuming we could import it), is designed to be a cheap offroad shitbox, new examples would be apt to go for around 8-10K which make it competitive to get new over something used and due to the fact that it's used worldwide and the design hasn't changed much since the 80s, parts are cheap even if you have to import them, in addition to that since it's so light with large tires you have insanely low ground pressure so it pretty much just floats over mud and other obstructions. Sure it's not massive and doesn't have much engine but it's essentially a modernish Suzuki Samurai, it's not made to pull trailers or haul shit, it's meant to get you and a few other people to a remote destination and be easy on your wallet.

>essentially a modernish Suzuki Samurai
the Niva is from the '70s what the fuck are you on?

>LOL NOTHING MADE AFTER [ARBITRARY YEAR] IS GOOD
>BECAUSE I SAID SO

Faggot I have an FJ Cruiser with Prado/Taco/4Runner guts and it's bulletproof. My friend drives one as well, his is a 2008 with 344,000km on it. He's replaced the steering u-joints, front bearings, and a piece of line that runs to the transmission cooler. Total repairs over that time span haven't even cost him $1,000.

You're a dumb nigger and a child, go play with your lifted Ford you triggered fuck.

>cherry picking the FJ

>making a blatantly retarded post that blanket shits on everything Toyota
>ignoring the best large production offroad vehicle to sell in North America in nearly 50 years

About the only thing stronger were the original Willies Jeeps, which were built for actual warzones.

Unlike GM or Ford who tell you straight up that your gas tank will explode from minor rear-end collisions and burn you alive, or that your car will shut itself off on the highway doing 90mph and you won't have any steering or brakes or controls at all.

Jej. Yes, American companies sure are known for their integrity and build quality.

>Toyotas aren't any more reliable than any other vehicle.

[citation needed]

That's why America asked Toyota to build their vehicles during the Korean War, right bruh? lol.

>tfw bought my dumbass uncles v6 prerunner for like 2k when he went to jail
>bout to hit 200k
>runs like a fucking champs
feels good

Since this is really a shitposting thread anyway I figured I'd ask a question.
Are there any small, sporty cars that don't get shit gas mileage?

The Nivas started production in like 77-78 and the Gen 2 Samurais that we got in the US started in around 81 so they're not that far off in terms of development.

What I mean by "Modernized" is that it's still in production and can be bought new, in the US we were only able to import Samurais from 85-95 so all of the ones here are reasonably old, plus most of the new Nivas come with an EFI engine rather than carbed which is welcome for reliability.

what part of nevada are you from and more importantly what's your mos?

>the entire drivetrain is beyond bullet proof

Don't those eat cv axles because of the inboard brakes?

>beyond bulletproof

Lots of legless soldiers would disagree.

i hear u nigga
and u true

but the humvee is a thousand times more awesome.
just look at it.
its king of the dirt road

dude nobody actually takes those offroad
they all sell in CA and normal people buy them. they are way too pricey to actually use offroad. have never, ever, once seen one of those on a trail which is difficult but within its capability. literally have never even seen one of those on dirt.
you can find a used one with 220k miles (not eurobitch kilometers) for just a shy under 10k burger dollars. (which is a ripoff).
those vehicles last around the 220k mark before needing a new engine and tranny IF they have been properly maintained. and you cant get a quality reman on those, you have to go to ultra mega shit LKQ and pay more money to get ripped off, or you can pay stupid money for a rebuild kit and have a machine shop do some work it.
its no where as affordable than just rebuilding an american truck which is 10 years and older

also, plenty of american trucks outlast the FJ in both engine and transmission life
not everything toyota makes is a miracle machine designed to run in 3rd world sand storms while hauling a bunch of chinese garbage and no oil change in 500,000km

swear to god, you toyotafags are so delusional

I owned one, for starters. Also, did you miss the factory recall for rotting frames? They aren't any better or any worse than other vehicles in the same class. They just have engines that stand up better to abuse. Literally every Toyota pickup I've seen has had rotting fenders and a bed made of swiss cheese. 4runners seem to fare a little better, but not much.

>the furious 17 year old continued to shitpost
>despite being BTFO by irrefutable evidence that Toyota makes better vehicles than his daddy's American shitbox automaker

OK kid, keep shitposting. See if that fixes the bodyrot and fried electronics in your RAM, faggot.

>dude nobody actually takes those offroad

obvious troll is obvious

no

Get a 1920 Dodge. 0:24 through 0:40.

youtube.com/watch?v=MWgW1NW45o8

Ahh the FJ. The official car of 60 year old Asians.

yeah, over 90% of people who own those don't take them offroad
my townhome complex has two of them, both of them are dads with family, none of them ever go offroad. i know them both, i know what they do

>west coast literal gaylord calling mid/east gay

o im laffin

"Japanese" trucks are made in America.

>townhome complex

confirmed for jealous poor white trash with blind hatred for imports

you probably smoke cigarettes too, degenerate

According to the VIN it was built in Japan and shipped Here.

cherrypicking? its just a landcruiser prado with a different bodykit.
being this reliable is the norm for toyotas.

Post the vin

georgian here, see shit ton of russian trucks/suvs
they offroad like motherfucker, are cheap and easy to fi yourself. and also run for decades
seen shit amount of old kamazs still running perfectly

>current year
>not getting a powerful japanese isis chariot
If it's enough to move in terrorist lands it's well enough for your softcore """off-road"""

>open thread
>dumb americans saying dumb shit

as usual

Hey. That's not true.
I get 9.5 mpg.
Even though your other points are fairly accurate, you forgot:
>reliable drive train.
>enough torque to pull out jap shitboxes that get stuck.

Go ahead and check the winners of the last 40+ years of Baja 500/1000....

holy fuck
literal japan destroyer

literally king of the mountain

AND priced lower than jap shit
25k will get you a hummvee with a 2010+ engine with under 10,0000 miles and under 40,000 miles on the rest of truck

you can still buy a hummer for 8k with over 60k miles and it will still be much more amazing than plastic nihon japanese shit

The last two vehicles I rescued out of the bush were of burger origin. The jeep had to be towed home broken.

I'll keep the hilux thanks.

bro???????????

humvee>ford>toyota>jeep>a bag of wet dicks>nissan>GM

but ford ultimately wins because late 90s-very early 2000's are built like tanks, beyond reliable, have plenty of parts all over the place which are damn dirt cheap, so you can really do fun things with this vehicle without breaking a 400$ tie rod end or twisting a 3500$ driveshaft