Genuine Question

I was driving past one of these going about 10 above the limit. It flashed twice at me. Should I be worried about getting a ticket?

Other urls found in this thread:

nhregister.com/general-news/20170328/new-haven-begins-installing-delineators-to-slow-traffic
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No

Really? Is it just a scare thing?

Nope. I like speeding past them and seeing how high they read. The 50 ones here only go up to 65.

They installed these blasted signs everywhere in my old city. Literally ignored by every driver

there was one of these in my neighborhood and when i came downhill at it it flashed red and blue like police lights

I had this question a week ago and fellow o/tists also confirmed is just scare tactic. I keep my no ticket streak going.

>ramp off highway has one of these
>It's a cloverleaf
>Yellow "speed limit" signs say like 20mpy coming out of a 65
>Has one of these
>Everyone goes like 45 down the thing
>Always blinks SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN
>No one gets tickets
I can hit the ramp at like 70 with no problem, I don't get why they set the limits so low on those. The road it goes to is also 55.

unless it is noted as a speed camera, which depending on your state they must notify you if it is with a sign beforehand, no.

Check with your local laws, search the city and the law and see if they can issue tickets. research man

there installed some of these near me that flash red and blue if you go too fast past them
I slowed down the first time because it caught me off guard, but everyone was blasting past it so I just blast through it now

I wouldn't. One of those things is by my mom's house, I'm thinking about using it to check max speed on an ATV.

Drove past one of these and all it does it flash a happy face if you're under the limit, unhappy face if you're 5-10 km over the limit, or a blinking "Too fast" if you're over 20 km

Probs not

related story though::
>There used to be one of these up the street from me that was only there for about a week.
> I wanted to see how high it would go so I i started going about 40.
>It began flashing my speed normally as I reched 40 mph
>What I didn't know was that past 40 mph it would flash blue and red siren colors to scare you into slowing down
> It worked as intended and i slammed on my brakes at the sight of the police colored lights like a dummy

Yup some do that to try to scare you.
They've realized displaying your speed significantly above the limit only encourages people seeking a highscore, and flashing slow down doesn't scare drivers as much as reds and blues do.

brother

here

I blow past them all the time dude, idiotic waste of taxpayer money honestly

Probably the only thing is does is log the number of speeders / hour. Too many speeders means they will stick a radar trap there.

I blow by those doing 20 or 30 over the limit. If it has a camera flash you're fucked.

Its just a scare tactic m8

Yeah man its weird how effective those were, problem is it would only work like once per person. I haven't seen one like that since then though and that was like about 2 years ago i think

the one near me is placed on a busy two lane highway, so lots of people from out of town
probably is effective, just not on locals

At least that location would makes sense, the one by me was essentially on a side street in a quiet neighborhood. It was near a school so that would make sense I guess, but the road it was on didn't lead to the school

I always would speed up but now they don't give you a speed like 20mph over the posted speed.

In england we have these and i shit you not if you go over the limit it flashes up a red "sad" face and if you're under its a green "happy" face.

what enrages me the most is that it works, in some small way you feel like you don't want to upset the sign then you feel like a fucking retard. fucking mind games.

Depends on where you are. I got one from one of those a while ago.

around here they flash at 1 over and say slow down at 2+. guess to discourage high scores.
>youd be surprised to hear people still do 5+ over

>limey mentality
Ayy lmao

yellow limit signs arent even a limit, just a warning
least where i live

I've seen ones that flash a white strobe at you to look like its taking pictures, but it doesn't do shit. Just trying to scare people into slowing down in a somewhat irresponsible way if you ask me.

No for the most part. But if those signs stop working, they'll go back to hiding and pouncing on speeders.

>Really? Is it just a scare thing?
Usually it is a scare tactic, but they also use them to determine if additional measures are necessary to slow traffic down such as a speed camera. On one long straight residential road just outside my neighborhood, lots of speeders ignored the speed limit sign. So the city put up one of these warning signs.

People kept on speeding and actually tried to speed as fast as possible to get as high a speed on the sign as possible. The city of course keeps statistics. It sees a lot of high numbers. A few months later, two speed cameras are installed approximately 1/5 of a mile apart.

>Is it just a scare thing?

Mostly, yes. The quality of the radar units in the fixed signs is rather low. And I doubt they are calibrated. We have some in our neighborhood and it's funny to watch them go brain-dead when there is more then one vehicle in their field of view. A video of the sign spewing garbage should be enough to get any ticket thrown out in court.

The portable signs (on trainers) are something else. They can haul them in to a maintenance facility and check them out periodically.

Did the flash come a camera aimed at your face and license plate?

:(

Not unless it has a camera on the back, which none really have. Most of them in my city have dead batteries from constantly flashing because nobody gives a fuck. When they put a mobile version in some neighborhood every guy in a truck and the ricers just floors it.

>displaying your speed significantly above the limit only encourages people seeking a highscore
Do you live in a country full of assholes?

that's how we roll in America
I habitually go at least 7-10 over unless I'm in a neighborhood where there might be unattended children
hell, my grandparents all go 5-7 over all the time

More like a country full of freedom. If you're paying for the bigger engine you might as well use it. I love it when they put these near a parking lot exit, Challenge accepted.

>that's how we roll in America

like it's different in Yurop
>See this shit
>limit to 50 kph
>guy in front of me gets a warning sign and 89 kph
>I accelerate
>numbers actually turn red and some other writing appeared but I had no time to read them
>I got 121
>look in mirror
>car behind me is also clearly accelerating

If your in the us thats a federal thing. Yellow signs are not considered regulations only warnings. They can still give you a reckless driving ticket even if you are under the limit though. So stay in your lane and skid free and you will be fine.

we used to have one of these on the way to work and so I tried to get it to say 99 one day but it just flashed " - - " and didnt display a number.

Agreed, they're just for highscores

A while back I managed to get one to show 00 cause I did 105 past it. It was funny

We got one on la crescenta ave I always try to beat my high score but the machine freaks out once you get 20 over and just says "slow down nigger!"

Thinking about taping a piece of particle board to it so people can write their high scores

we have those in europe too, they make :( when you drive past them over the speed limit so i am a good boy and make it :)
they don't do anything except display those smileys though

> The quality of the radar units in the fixed signs is rather low. And I doubt they are calibrated

This makes sense. I drove past one the other day and it read my speed as being ~10mph off what my speedometer said (new car so I doubt my speedometer is off by more than 3mph)

No. Did you get the high score tho?
Mine couldn't show my speed because it ran out of digits.

Where are you from that has speed cameras? They tried that here and we just kept shooting them out.

that silly low speed is for tractor trailers, or other top heavy loads

One at my university if you do 15+ over posted (35 mph) changes from showing your speed to saying "slow down". Figured out one day when the road was empty that if you do 30+ over posted it says "Too fast".

Next goal is to do 45+ over and see if it says anything different then

>People kept on speeding and actually tried to speed as fast as possible to get as high a speed on the sign as possible.
ahaha classic

yeah

Bull crap, you must have some bad judges to allow that garbage. I've been pulled by a cop for staying at the speed limit. Tried writing me up for going over the yellow sign limit. Argued with him till he called on the radio to find out for sure. He didn't like learning he was wrong.

Rainy weather is also a reason to slow for them.

Is CL a meme now? I used to own one of those. I miss it.

anyone else have a car hated by these things? my subaru outback really fucks with the readings on every one I've encountered. Like I'll be rolling steady at 50, but the sign has me at 70 or is jumping through random numbers like a sperglord that saw a train

>see wunnadeez on the way home from work
>car in front of me so I can't speed
>do a u turn
>launch my shitbox
>get up to 150 in a 60kmh zone
>sign doesn't even say anything when I pass it
>super disappointed

mmm no. as long as im not sideways you cant give me a ticket for taking an onramp at 65 because the normiesign says 35

We have these all over the place.

>only go up to 65.

I'm actually impressed by the cleverness.
This discourages faggots to keep speeding through these just to see how fast it registers causing potential danger just by its presence.

Those things around here though do not seem to have that limit.

I got a high score of 46 in a 30 recently. They're fun.

Sounds like you are about to unlock a new weapon or playable character

It's not a scare thing, its supposed to make you question your decision of driving too fast and endangering others.

Probably the radar messing with your vape clouds faggot.

What are those?

lel. Those would last a day with all the brotrucks here. I'd purposely drift into those every day in winter.

I think it's a visual thing, you have to slow down to make sure you don't knock one over. You find them on residential streets in Leaf Land.
Think they are called delineators

Traffic Calming Delineator Post

We don't have those in Alberta thank fuck. Hmmm My car would almost fit through those sideways. Challenge accepted.

>location
They put one up at the END of our village before an intersection where you must yield, kind of ruinin the whole point of is since everyone is goign to be braking to a stop anyway.

>you have to slow down to make sure you don't knock one over
>gap four to six feet wider than your car
>you have to slow down

>gf nags me about how I made the smily sad

Traffic isles for traffic calming a best, they actually make driving more fun instead of less.

>Germany wins again

I used them to see how far out my speedometer is from a radar reading. About 3mph.

Hungary has these, but one-way only, placed upon entering a settlement, you have to weave so you dont blast in doing 90. The exit lane is straight, however.

Much better than those "laying policemen" cement/steel hump bullshit they have in cities.

>googled "laying policemen"
>first reply was google trying to correct me to "lying policemen"
>second reply was this

Pretty sure the difference is a percentage of your speed and increases with speed.

They have chevrons on them, also harder at nigh. It's weird going 40kph/25mph, hoping you don't clip your mirror.

The reflectivity bounces of your headlights,” “The horizontal traffic calming is you got a physical, vertical traffic calming element in the right of way narrowing the street and that makes you go slower.”

New Haven begins installing delineators to slow traffic.
nhregister.com/general-news/20170328/new-haven-begins-installing-delineators-to-slow-traffic

Then you might have a ticket. Now you know.

If you don't get one in the mail in the next 2 weeks, you're probably fine.

You can contest it, Google is your friend. It might be easy to contest since there isn't a human to fight their side.