/gsg/ - Grand Strategy General

We don't have an official steam or discord group. If anyone posts in the thread about any "official" or not steam or discord groups, promising MP or not, be sure it's a shitposter group known for organizing raids and shitposting in the thread. They are known for false-flagging.
Report and ignore it.

How fares your empire, /gsg/?

This day in history, April 28th:
1192 – Assassination of Conrad of Montferrat, King of Jerusalem, in Tyre, two days after his title to the throne is confirmed by election. The killing is carried out by Hashshashin.
1503 – The Battle of Cerignola is fought. It is the first battle in history won by small arms fire using gunpowder.
1792 – France invades the Austrian Netherlands, beginning the French Revolutionary Wars.
1887 – A week after being arrested by the Prussian Secret Police, French police inspector Guillaume Schnaebelé is released on order of William I, German Emperor, defusing a possible war.
1945 – Benito Mussolini and his mistress Clara Petacci are executed by a firing squad consisting of members of the Italian resistance movement.

>News
EU4 Mandate of Heaven is out.

>Random Country Picker
randomcountry.gbasood.net/

# Archive (mods only)
mega.nz/#F!plMxFYTB!sn9MTrvJ0tYjWSHgM8CZow

#Where to get these games
hastebin.com/raw/moqugasume

# Mods
>> READ THIS FIRST.
pastebin.com/cCdcev76

>>[HoI4] - More Music Mod
mega.nz/#F!v5wXURpJ!TvoBinBVQWJbaYJsluyoFA

>>[HoI3] - Flavormod
mega.nz/#F!GBByDSgS!9ia87JfAeOQgADjGq9y4hw

>>[CK2] - user Music Mod
mega.nz/#!vIQnEZJK!5YCtpPMElgZJ3DDaVSaxJqEGym87SKZxfx-uKVwZmqM

>>[CK2] - After The End
github.com/notalbanian/postapoc

>>[V2] - Historical Project Mod 0.3.6.1 - 27/11/2016
pastebin.com/66gpxbKk

>>[V2] - Napoleon's Legacy v0.3.1.7
pastebin.com/sN1g69sr

>>[V2] Alternative Flag Pack V10
pastebin.com/PRQH8vcV

>>[V2]Africa Mod
pastebin.com/kyMpRZcQ

Old Thread

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.

Incoming steamgroup butthurt

Reporting shitposting is not ignoring it.

based

La Plata

Black and not based

reminder that Truth by Consensus is fallacious and that the average paradox fan is incorrect concerning Johan's video games and their quality

thanks

La Plata

qoɹd ou

Ok, so what is your definition of "good"?

Personally I would say that a good product is a product which sells a lot, that's the truth for the producers as well, I reckon. This game does not only sell a lot, the users are also spending a very big amount of their lives playing it, which means they are very entertained by it. I would personally say this is also part of the definition of a good game.

Tell me what is your definition of a good product, and why is your definiton any more true?

Croatian fascists have awoken.

Can we get a petition going for the Darkest Hour lads to make an HD remake?

It's still by far the only HoI game worth playing, but needs a little spruce up of things like the tech tree and UI.

(this is not a duplicate)

Since we don't have a legally or academically defined definition of what a good video game is, nothing both you and I will ever be true.

To me, a good historical grand strategy game is one that stimulates you both intellectually and creatively, along with being difficult to beat, allows for plausible and historical outcomes, represents war, politics, diplomacy, demographics, religion, trade and technological with increasingly in-depth and realistic detail, and caters to the fan of realism and history, not to min-maxing retards. A game that is more like a simulator than a video game.

But like you said, my opinion doesn't matter because a company only cares about creating profit instead of a history/alt-history generator and simulator.

Simulators are for autists, and autists don't make money.

>I would say that a good product is a product which sells a lot
You are lost in your own arguments.
It went from "they care about their own product and want to make it as good as possible" to "it sells a lot so it's good".
Which is it?
Because those two things aren't the same and once again, you can sell a lot of low quality product and it will be good by your definition.

How rare is this?

Can you form Scandinavia if you have all the required nations in your sphere?

Pretty damn rare.

>2
>2

what did he mean by this

He meant git gud prussia pro

Darkest hour team isn't really a full time team.

Besides with how little and shitty support they got from paradox to begin with I doubt they would even want to try even if they had a full crew.

Besides there's theoretically a 1.06 patch in the works, they actually had a lot of stuff being slowly worked on that didn't make it to 1.04 and 1.05

yea but what do the two 2s mean

>Since we don't have a legally or academically defined definition
No, you make your own definition and it will always be just as true as any academic's definition.

Thank you for sharing your definition.

No I don't think I am. They do care about their products, and they do want it to be as good as possible. This is quite obvious, because people need to think it's good so that they can sell more of it.

"it sells a lot so it's good", what I mean by this is that many people must be of the opinion that the game is good, because that is what the sales are telling us. Why would they buy it if they thought it's bad? Because they are "paradox-drones"? Lmfao give me a break.

>you can sell a lot of low quality product and it will be good by your definition.
Do you think that the game is sold to a million people who don't think it's good, is that what you're telling me?

It seems to me that you're fixed on some kind of idea that what makes it "good" does not have anything to do with the fact that people like it or are entertained by it. Well, to that I'm saying: Well...that's just your opinion, man.

Do you not play vicky or something?

>No, you make your own definition and it will always be just as true as any academic's definition.

But everything has an objective truth, though. We simply don't know what it is in this situation.

See In my old game I need to continue I only have fucking Australia and I'm the top industrial and military power by 1857. Kys.

I am looking everywhere for two 2s but i cannot find any in the picture

it`s your shitty rank

top left maybe? I never played vicky 2, I imagine those numbers are your ranking at those stats

oh haha sorry

didn't come to me immediately woops

He's a baiting retard don't reply

>But everything has an objective truth, though.
Not this.

An objective truth is one which can be quantified. If I measure exactly how many millimetres my finger is then I can tell you the objective truth on how many millimetres.

You cannot state an objective truth about whether a game is good or not, because that will always be an individual opinion, or many individual's opinions. It's subjective and will never be objective.

Rate my Western Europe with a Charliememe start
Once I form Brittania I'll play world police to stop the ugly

God damn I just want someone to create a history/alt-history simulator already, im sick and tired of all the boring GS games I'm forced to play

Yeah, I agree it can be improved a lot. I want many things to be improved too, so I know how you feel. However I still enjoy the game a lot.

Theres one objective truth: EUIV is shit.

this

>because people need to think it's good so that they can sell more
>Do you think that the game is sold to a million people who don't think it's good
I think people very often accept a low quality product in their lives for a variety of reasons.

>It seems to me that you're fixed on some kind of idea that what makes it "good"
I'm fixated on a faulty assumption that companies give a fuck about making a product "as good as possible".
Quality is always compromised by financial reasons. Companies make product that's marketable and cost efficient.

The only people making a stuff as good as possible at the ones operating on passion and in a nearly billion dollar company like Paradox that kind of shit isn't going to fly.

I think you're wrong. Sure someone who are really passionate might work harder and care more. But generally speaking the capitalistic producers of a product will care about how much it sells, and they know that it will sell more if the product is not only well marketed, but also good in the eyes of the potential buyers. They will try to meet this goal, because they want to sell more. In any case, we'll agree to disagree. I'm not willing to stretch this discussion even longer, people ITT thread are probably sick of it by now.

>1.06 patch

Really? That's interesting. Any idea what kind of things it would have added?

So are you saying that they only have to meet the bare minimum requirements of the consumer for it to be 'good'?

>simulator
It's called your imagination. Just look up a historical time and ask yourself what would've happened if one small but significant thing went differently. And if you don't know the answer then research until you can.

What is there to do once you've conquered England?

I've ran out De-jure CB's and now It's like I'm back to the start all over again. The only way to get new land is to fabricate claims or create new duchies.

At this rate it'll take another 100 years before I have Ireland or Scotland, and they're both tribal shit nests that aren't worth the vassal space.

>they know that it will sell more if the product is not only well marketed, but also good in the eyes of the potential buyers.They will try to meet this goal
that would be true if there were any competition
paradox has no competitor, they can sell literal shit disguised as gsg and it's still going to have people buying, simply because there's no alternative

Post the best 30k army once you have tanks and planes unlocked.

>the best 30k army once you have tanks and planes unlocked.
Happy?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Invite claimants or convert to a heresy to holy war them, or just relax and stop blobbing for a while and develop England

Optimally you'd replace your Guards with Tanks but it's very expensive.

As for planes it depends what patch you're on. If you're on Vanilla just make your whole army out of planes. I'm not memeing, it's really OP because their defense is crazy high. If you're on HoD before 3.0.4 then you can use them a lot but they won't be as good on their own, and after 3.0.4 they should be kept in the back row. They're still good though so keep some in your army if you have Airplanes invented.

>but also good in the eyes of the potential buyers
It's very easy to impress potential buyers if they are inexperienced.
Paradox games blew up just recently and most people don't have a ton of experience with a genre (as devoid of competition as it is) to complain about shit.

Papist status: SCHISM'D

I never equipped my armies with guards.

I currently have 4 inf, 4 art, 1 hussar, and 1 eng.
What should be swapped out with what?

But I want the computer to do that for me. A computer can calculate all sorts of things much better and faster than a human can.

I want to see how fast and complete the hypothetical 'Germanization of Poland' would have been if a German state took the country over hundreds of years before it was historically partitioned. I want to see detailed demographics, census information, linguistic information, ethnic makeup, national identities, popular philosophies, religious affiliation...

That's just a random example of the kind of information I want to be presented to me throughout simulation, and this is only demographics. I want warfare to be a very intricate and detailed wargame-style affair. I want global trade to be programmed in cooperation with actual economists and businessmen. I want diplomacy to be difficult and deep with detailed treaties and agreements made by the player with the computer. I want politics to reflect real life instead of very broad abstractions, with interpersonal relationships, rivalries, intrigue, charisma and all that sort of stuff. All calculated and presented to me by a computer on a readable, interactive map/spreadsheet-type document. I want to be able to influence the simulation, too.

I love detail and hate abstractions. Is that too much to ask?

What the hell happened to my game

My empire just disappeared and i'm playing observer

I'm not him but how does inviting claimants work? What's the requirement for them to become a vassal?

>Russians helping their best buds the turks
sounds realistic buddy

>Great Power intervention in 1479
Bravo, Johan.

Wrong thread

>Is that too much to ask?
yes
it`s literally impossible to make a game without some degree of abstraction

>>>/civ4xg/

Can the abstraction be very little? To allow for extreme detail?

I love numbers and wiki-style information.

They need to be a landed vassal and the title your pushing must be of a lower tier, i.e just give them some random county/barony and push the duchy they have a claim on if you're a king, or kingdom if you're an emperor.

Rate.

I see, thanks man

>rev up CKII
>EULA
>You do not own this game, we just allow you to play it
wtf is going on xDDD

can this game work on my tablet

delet this image

Converting a CK2 save file manually is exhausting.

I mean, i don`t disagree with you on what you said before, it would just be very hard(and it would probably run very slow) to make a game like that, and it would probably have very few buyers since it`s essentially a niche of a niche genre

calle calle

Nah, it's actually the most fun you'll have in eu4: the hope of a cool new europe that will come out of your work before the retarded ai immediatly fucks up

Well, shit.

Replace the hussar with planes. Planes have better recon and do artillery-tier damage. Actually all things considered their average damage is higher than artillery, so funnily enough you could also just replace your artillery with planes completely.

However that will make your back row larger than your front row. So there are a few things you can do. You could potentially replace the engineer with a tank, since tanks get the same siege bonus as engineers, but you won't get the dig-in bonus anymore. You can also just replace your infantry with tanks if you want; tanks have better stats than infantry all around except defense which is two points lower (don't try to explain how men in cloth uniforms have higher def than literal tanks)

So I guess it could be something like 5 tanks/5 planes. Or 5 tanks/4 planes/1 eng for dig-in. But this is very expensive mind you. So you could replace some tanks with infantry so it's less expensive, or planes with artillery. As far as I know though planes are just a straight upgrade to artillery and tanks are basically an upgrade compared to inf and can replace an eng for siege bonus.

yes, that is too much to ask. The only thing similar to what you're describing is dwarf fortress, and even that advances at a snail's pace, has a tiny niche audience, and also happens to be a text game. Man has limitations.

True, it is fun, but tiring.

I'm not quite done, but I fear that Colonization will take a good while to spawn.

What, so I just walk into Constantinople and I'm Roman Emperor? There was barely a fucking army in the way of my personal levies, what the fuck.

Is this only partially done or something? It actually looks pretty good and that's confusing to me, converted CK2 saves always look fucking ridiculous.

accebt jebus you fucking niggres :DDD

le succession by the sword face

I wanted to ask if you're going for jerusalem but I don't think it's even possible at that point
palace coups happened aaall the time

>beta israel dont have create israel option
thanks johan

You were Bulgaria, right? Pretty sure that Bulgarians tried to crown themselves emperor a few times.

How good is this plan?

1. Conquer Britannia
2. Conquer the Duchy of Flanders
3. Take all counties in Flanders as personal demense and move capital to Brugge.
4. Give away all duchies and kingdoms in Britannia to dynasty members.

This seems pretty good to me. You get all of Britannia for just 4 vassal slots and the best duchy in the game to police it with while also being offshore and thus immune to revolt. You can basically just outlaw vassal wars and ignore the entire empire while you go off adventuring in Spain or Africa with all of their ships.

Yeah, it's partially done. Only worked on France/Spain/Italy/Balkans so far. I don't think I'll mess much with the HRE though.

It's not a full conversion though, I'm gonna change some things to make it a little better, like fusing three big duchies into a big Ottomans, etc.

They have it but only in the beta version.

What games would you recommend to a /gsg/ newfag? They don't necessarily have to be simple games.

t. /gsg/ newfag

eu4

hoi3 black ice soviet union

CK2

victoria 2 with HPM or maybe DH

eu3/eu rome

Look at that loser playing spreadsheet simulators.

>still playing this shit game

black and unbased
white and based

dude deus vult lmao

Post results

>not taking constantinople
>not taking European land
>not even taking all the Greek land and doling it out to crusader states
>dude let's just take this side of the strait for cheesing strats lmoa
God is frowning on you.

Yeah, thats how multiple Byzantine Emperors started new dynasties user.

>take this guy's entire Empire
>marry his wife to my son
>seduce her too
>get a kid from her and cuck my son

Quadruple cuckoldry.