This edition: I got it edition

This edition: I got it edition
After about 1 year of constantly searching and constantly getting ridiculed by peers, family and even the paperwork guys, I did it. I finally got myself a Trabant.

It's not a P50. It's not perfect, but it's pic related. And it's mine.

Currently in the garage. It arrived home today. Will post a few more pictures either tomorrow either on saturday when I'll take time to properly clean it up.

literally the only person Im jealous of on Veeky Forums

congrats man

Can you describe the process you went through and why a trabant specifically? Also congrats!!

You would be, you Communist faggot. So am I.

I would hate to think what it's like getting aftermarket parts for it is like though. How much did you pay? I bet racing one of those in 24hrsoflemons would be fun.

Thank you!

I'd had a few cars in mind for a long long time actually. Initially wanted a Dacia 1300 (still do), but recently thought a Trabant would have a tad more personality, despite the infamy a lot of people give.

Well I've been searching for a P50 in Germany, but I realised it would be way too hard to bring it into country and way too costly. So I settled down for a classic 601 instead. I've seen plenty of offers, this one was by far the best, about 100 kms away from my town.

400 euros. Thought I'd get only the car, but when I was about to leave with it the guy gave me a bunch of spare parts (+ ones already inside car) which includes extra rear-window, spark plugs, oil, carburator, belts, screws, tools and all kind of stuff I still need to look into.

fuck the haters, Trabants are cool. Hope you enjoy it fampai, hopefully I can get a Trabi too one of these days

How is life in the GDR, user?

Put motorbike engine in it

I'll forever only know what a Trabant is from seeing wrecked ones in Half-Life 2.

>400 euros

Which country are you in? How does the body hold up after this time like does the outside wear away on the duroplast or what ever it is called?

The body will last forever. It is not bio degradable

It's basically like fiberglass, but instead of fibgerglass holding the resin, they used cotton. And the only reason they resorted to it was because of shortages of metal. And because there was absolutely no input from what the customer wanted, they stuck with it out of sheer inertia for 40 odd years.

Of what I have seen fibreglass can deteriorate a little over time. Just asking op and bumping. I think they are illegal here but I'm jellie too.

if OP's wasn't in moderately good condition I'd second this

Trababusa.

Romania.

The body is in fairly good condition, except for a few places where the original paint is falling off or the guy tried to fix it himself (for instance the headlight rings).

Only rusted parts are the floor of the trunk and inside, but that can be fixed fairy easily. Other noticeable problems are the hood (it isn't fixed in it's normal position anymore), the bumpers and naturally the interior is kinda worn out, but again nothing that can be fixed.

It has a few rust spots on the rear (pic related), but that's the only outside rust it really has.

I've thought of doing an engine swap before, but decided against it since the original engine adds personality, although I haven't entirely excluded the idea in case I cannot fix the power-problem of the engine.

also consider you can avoid putting miles and damage on the og engine

Please, keep it standard. Keep it like it came out of the factory. It breaks my heart every time I see some one trying to 'mod' a Trabant. It has enough odd charm. I'm rather jealous, best of luck with it.

That's what I intend to do actually. The only modifications I really want to make are refurbishing the interiour (add some carpet and have the chairs fixed) which I've thought of going with a burgundy colour or brown (as the chairs currently are) and maybe paint the roof red like in picrelated, but that's debatable.