itch.io/jam/agdg-gelatinous-cube-jam
youtu.be/ZKq4C6EVlWw
youtube.com/watch?v=E2j-frfK-yg
pastebin.com/QZQNaSTF
youtube.com/watch?v=lScmXN5YTHA.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

itch.io/jam/agdg-gelatinous-cube-jam
10 hours left

That doesn't seems like much improvement.
Could be a boss and his minions.

made a bit of progress with the golf game
youtu.be/ZKq4C6EVlWw

How are you doing today, user-kun?

who wants music

Looking good, I like golfing games.
Didn't watch the video though cause of that thumbnail.

Got a gimmick or something?

wait a minute

a 4k texture is really big

but it's possible that all the instructions which led to the creation of said texture could be very small

why do we save the finished product, why don't we save the instructions and then recreate the texture when we load instead of loading the texture from memory?

thank you
not at the moment, just going to try and get it working as well as possible to start with

Unity and Unreal have support for substance files which are basically just that.

They're also editable in game.

multiplayer is quite a big ask on its own, so i likely won't add a gimmick

Thanks, user.
Here's it with a larger weapon as well as it attempting to aim at slopes.

That's quite common, especially for stuff like gradients and circles, it's faster and easier to generate it than load an image.

Hey! Thanks for the help! But I wanted it to react to speed as well. I like how the ship is flat against the floor when you're cruising along a lane, it feels right. And by taking speed into account the motion can still feel smooth when it's spinning.

What do you think of pic related? I think that's a sweet spot.

Looks good. One of my favorite games way back was the golfing game with kirby. Maybe look at it for inspiration.

I love the way you spook me. You better have a legit baseball stadium somewhere in that dungeon.

>WebM tools
Thanks dude!

Change it to
>Unity user
>Unreal Engine user
>Godot user
>GM user
And in the back
>enginedev

what was the golfing kirby game called? ill give it a google now? :)

shouldn't the guy in the back be python?

no

Could you shader it so the brightness gets toned down when its extremely near the camera? Otherwise its going to be hella stroby

You can proc-gen a lot of things. Less space on disc but takes more CPU/time to "unpack" and they're just as big in working memory. Probably the biggest factor is the added time and effort to code such things if you're not using prebuilt tools for it, or other limitations within said tools.

Several years ago some crazy germans made a demo FPS game called ".kkrieger" that crammed all the fanciest graphical features of the time along with really sharp textures and even sound effects into a 96kb executable file.

I love this.
What's the masterplan for this game?

Been getting more and more tired of the dev on workplace, want to do a fun vidya dev project, is gamemaker a good place to start?

you may be terrified by uglyness of some things you'll have to do because of gamemaker limitations

Any other suggestions? I just said GM because of the simplicity btw

Dad forced me to cut my hair again there was a dead caterpillar in my lunch and the anime I was watching had an ending so shitty it got me thinking if a whole team of professionals did that I wonder if its actually possible for me to do anything better on my game or it will be an even worse pile of shit.

>dev on workplace
Tells us more, what programming languages do you know?

Man, animating effects with particles in Unity is really difficult.
I have no idea what I'm doing...

GM stopped being a good place to start since they ruined the free version.

I had to get my mom to stop shitposting on Veeky Forums long enough for us to go grocery shopping for the family lunch we are having tomorrow. She gets a giggle out of it I am sure but I visit twice a month for this so I wasn't prepared to have to compete with Veeky Forums for her attention.

Yeah, the materials have a lot of tweaking to go. I think it'll be less epilepsy-inducing once I disable the motion blur.

>her mom shitposts on Veeky Forums

Assuming you have programming experience, you should write your own engine with SDL. Writing the foundational stuff will be absolute hell, but you'll be rewarded with not only not having to deal with GameMaker's absolute bullshit design paradigms, but with having an engine that works *perfectly* with your workflow.

How about you?

>having an engine that works *perfectly* with your workflow
True, but thats kind of like saying your legs are exactly long enough to reach the ground

If you duplicate a save game, should it's creation date be that of the original file, or the current time?

If I make a duplicate of something I assume it will be an exact duplicate.
Why does creation date matter anyways?

It doesn't matter because you shouldn't ever rely on creation times, simply store the current time in the file.

Whats the verdict on using classical music in your game (considering it fits the theme)?

Great pieces like youtube.com/watch?v=E2j-frfK-yg are completely free of any form of copyright even commercially, but it bothers me it might come across as cheap and unoriginal.

I got plenty of artist I could hire for different music genres but (original) classical music often requires whole orchestras's and a good composer, resulting in a cost of thousands of dollars.

If I use it sporadically during moments of great importance in my game could I get away with the "passing it on for younger generation" argument or should I just settle for less right now?

>inb4 just use shitty acoustic guitar songs like all other indies

Lately mostly Web Dev(JS), before this lots of OOP with C++

I though about a small project, I have zero experience at building engines, how big will this be

If you know C++ like the back of your hand, you're part of the elite aristocracy of devs able to exploit the ginormous potential of micromanaging pointers for no (or autistic) reasons in UE4 scripts.

But for real UE4 is really fun if you know your C++ more fun than enginedev anyway

Writing your own engine is a meme

Pick up Unity and try to remake FTL

If it fits, then sure. I don't see why you need to justify it more than that.
Just make sure you're using a version that is actually free to use commercially.

If you can't afford expensive VSTs, then just compose/commission a song for piano. Using well-known music is not a good look.

It's pretty easy to emulate orchestras digitally, Jeremy Soule for example mostly uses samples.

Using classical compositions is lazy but there's nothing with original works.

Would you cum buckets in this bucket?

For a small project, it won't be too bad at all. All you'll really have to implement will be rectangular collision functions, which are easy as hell. The only drawback is the lack of a map editor, though, which may be a dealbreaker. If you want to make something quick using a map editor, then you should download Unity. Problem is, you'll have to deal with Unity being slow and unoptimized and the "Made with Unity" tramp stamp, but it's probably a good place to start for a newbie.

>recommending unity for 2d
fucking really nigga

If you keep it obscure and not the tired, overly used bits of music you might hear on an advert of babbies first classical music playlist, there's nothing wrong with it as it won't stand out to the casual player.

Alternatively, take that classical music and cut and mix it into something original and see what you can make yourself. Also certain recordings of classical music are not free from copyright so check before using any part of a recording longer than 5 seconds (or whatever arbitrarily short segment is allowed nowadays)

>It's pretty easy to emulate orchestras digitally
"Easy" isn't the word I would use. It can sound convincing, if you can write orchestral music and know how to work nuance into samples. Good sample libraries are also not cheap (although far cheaper than hiring an actual orchestra ha).

mediocre programmer here

I use Unity because c# is the only lang i'm familiar with but I'm more of an artist than a programmer

however I realized my game runs like shit on most PCs after sending a demo around to a few friends

is there a guide to optimization somewhere, or some links on how to get started with that kind of stuff? my actual game code is pretty clean but when it comes to shaders, graphics, culling, that kind of opti i'm totally lost

What's wrong with using Unity for 2D as a beginner?

The tutorial material and documentation are unrivaled.

>are completely free of any form of copyright even commercially

The music itself is public domain but the various recordings are still owned. So if you do go this route make sure you use recordings that have been released under a good license.

needs metal rings around it or something

this has been answered so many times jesus christ

unity is not a 2d engine
you will be fighting with it more than you should be
its NOT good for a beginner, or anyone for that matter

use monogame or XNA for 2D.

Shit you're right, I had the feeling something was missing.
This is what I get for not looking at reference.

I believe there are Unity optimization books

An user in a previous thread posted these links for some great books about Unity, including one about optimization:

pastebin.com/QZQNaSTF

I'm sure you can purchase an optimization asset from the Unity Asset Store!

Unity has a Profiler window, put in the effort to understand it

Post a screenshot of your game and maybe it'll be obvious to us whats wrong, ie too much grass or massive draw distance or something

oh shit, I missed that.
great thanks user(s)

yeah lmao, after I finish this project I'm dropping Unity for good for that reason exactly

I hope that open-source unity editor clone posed a few threads ago works out well, otherwise i'll have to man up and learn c++ for ue4

>Unity is NOT good for a beginner
>use XNA instead
Im LOL-ing out loud

Eh. Good enough.

the profiler doesn't show anything unusual though, everything runs smoothy and nothing looks like its too big except for the ominous "overhead" thing

its weird because I use a laptop and it runs fine but my friends with PCs are saying the framerate is really low

Rewrite it in C++, friend.

Godot senpai, it's currently the best 2D engine and it's easy to use.

for simple 2D games, fucktard

looks good. I agree with can I see your UV map? I'm new to blender and it'd help

give it to me straight /agdg/. I know blender, c#, and c++. I've never made a game outside of a text adventure and I want to make 3d games. godot or unity? and why?

A game would have to be pretty simple to not need things like a GUI or keyboard input

Your own engine in Rust

unity if you like proven things
godot if you like unproven things

UE4

Godot's 3D is pretty meh, it will get better but for now Unity is better if you don't mind getting cucked.

Godot if you want free.
UE4 if you want powerful.
Unity if you want to eat shit and pretend that you like it.

>if you don't mind getting cucked.

>Unity if you want to eat shit and pretend that you like it.

what do you mean by this?

Unity is a shitty engine all around. But people still use it and still pretend to like it just because it is popular.

unity if you want to actually make a game
godot if youre a contrarian shitter

Shitposting aside, I cannot make an informed choice about Godot since I have not used it extensively, however, Blender + C# is the perfect workflow for Unity3D. It has many tools for seamless integration

If you only care about graphics, then go for UE4.

>monogame doesn't have basis for GUI or keyboard input

are you retarded?

be careful with comments like no arguments whatsoever

It's popular for a reason. Its workflow is very intuitive and quick, and Unity is the fastest way to make a prototype.
The drawbacks are no source code, bad visuals, generally not as well designed. But those are worth it if you're a beginner.

t. UE4 fag

Unity has some pretty stupid stuff going on and poor performance, but it's pretty competent and good enough for just like making games, community support is good too.
Basically the GameMaker of 3D engines.

>Its workflow is very intuitive and quick
I disagree with this. But everyone has different preferences with workflow.

looks good, but wooden buckets usually have several rings around them to hold the slats of wood together

I don't think people pretend to like it, I liked it before I tried UE4 and realised how much it was missing.

It's still good for a beginner because of the stupid amount of tutorials and help online.

>The drawbacks are no source code
I mean being open source is always nice, but who honestly needs it aside from ones building plugins/etc? I can't think of a situation where not having the source code hindered me.

>bad visuals
It's not 100% on par with UE4, but I'd put it close to around 80%. You're not making some AAA game so this shouldn't matter.

>generally not as well designed
And you think Blueprints and UE4's hideous UI is better? Laughable.

shills need to leave

alright thanks I'll start learning the API and make something.

>shit talk Unity
>paid shills come out of the woodworks
Seriously, no other engine has this amount of butthurt defenders.
And friendly reminder that the Discord has a literal shill giving out free tech support and probably undercover shills too.

UE4 is plain better.

You have 3 options:

1. The slow but rewarding and ultimately best way
>start out with C++ and SFML to aid your enginedevving
>will take a bit to get used to but you'll eventually sky rocket in production speed

2. The easy but meh-ish way
>get Unity and dev with JS
>will be slightly easier but you'll soon discover the pains of Unity

3. The smart way (3D only)
>get Unreal and code in C++ with it

>says ue4 is better but never states specifically in what areas

Compile times?
Documentation?
API ease of use?

You've used both engines so this should be second nature

I find using UE4 has a better and more efficient workflow than Unity, but that's because I know a bit about gamedev and UE4 itself. I'm just saying Unity, compared to other 3D engines (UE4, Cryengine) is probably more intuitive if you're a total noob.

This means you're a god programmer, congrats.

>He has never needed to look at source code classes
>He doesn't want to make as beautiful a game as possible
>He thinks you actually need to use blueprints.

Pic related.

How do I make music like Undertale's?

reminder that artists are a meme
youtube.com/watch?v=lScmXN5YTHA.

I'm not the same person
see
he just posted his opinion, and here you (the shill) have to come in and start whining WHAT U DONT LIEK MY ENGINE ITS BEST ENGINE EVER NO OTHER ENGINE CAN COMPETE UR JUST WRONG JEALOUS FAGGOT ITS THE BEST ENGINE EVERYTHING IS PERFECT WORKS PERFECT [if you buy x y and z assets on the asset store] ITS BEST ENGINE EVERY SO EASY AND AAA GREAT

>Seriously, no other engine has this amount of butthurt defenders.

Looks to me like more people are defending UE4. Of course, it could be the same 1-2 anons.

I kind it odd how there's only maybe 2 UE4 games on agdg yet there's always more vocal opinions about it.

Chill

>[if you buy x y and z assets on the asset store]
Wait, which engine are you shilling, because that's a Unity thing.

Its better in every single way. Very serious. No I do not care about the amount of tutorials and community "help".