1953 Ford Mainline

Surprisingly Veeky Forums was very helpful last time I was interested in a classic, so now I need it again.

I'm going to go look at pic related this weekend.
What I know about the car:
-Flat Head V8/3spd column, both rebuilt 2 years ago
-built carb
-all new wiring harnesses
-will have new brake systems when I get it
-converted to 12v system
-comes with bunch of extra parts
-everything works minus gas gauge
-gas tank needs to be cleaned
-bit of rust and damage to RF fender
-worn, but complete interior
-cracked windshield and driver door window
-crappy primer paint.

All of the for $2500

Good deal or nah?
The plan is to fix the gas tank (how hard is it to clean one) and get it painted (either lots of rattle cans and tape, or maaco).

What does Veeky Forums think?

And for those wondering, the 1958 Fairlane was a bust. Body was nice, but could barely run and the rear main seal was leaking bad.

Guy says he's getting 15 around town with this thing, in hoping 18 on highway. He's been using 87, should I try for higher grade?

Do you know how to manually fill the carb's bowls to make sure it runs and shifts?

>should I try for higher grade?
lolno. - and I have a hard time believing he's getting 15mpg

>1953 camry
>classic
pick one.

1bl carb, electronic fuel pump, reworked engine. It's possible. Coworker is getting
16 in his 59 F100.

The guy drives it right now. I'm assuming a few fuel filter spliced into the line will keep me pretty safe until I replace the tank.

Also, any suggestion on paint scheme. Kinda wanna do a flat black/red rim hot rod, but also want a 2 tone factory scheme. The whole point was to prep this for my wedding.

Bump

Pros
>it's a coupe
>nice clean early 50s styling
>239 Flathead V8
Looks pretty good to me. Nice thing about the Flathead is the insane aftermarket for it, Ford put that engine in everything. You a Coastie Officer?

No, just a simple non rate with a degree...

Navy bro here, I like your car taste mang

Flat black would be as bad as the primer. I can only see those looking good glossy as fuck.

Just rent a classic car. This was a shitbox when it was new and now it's 64 years old. Normally classic cars have styling going for them but this car doesn't even have that.

Thanks man

True, but this looks good. Just not classy

But... that's like your opinion man.
Besides, renting is like 1500 for 4 hours with restrictions...

Just ask someone to borrow their classic car. It'd cost more than that to buy this one and fix it up.

Don't listen to these boring guys. They probably haven't ever Daily driven a classic before. Theres a fuckton more to classics then just driving them around, you meet alot of people who just want to talk and say cool shit about your car. And you make friends with other classic car drivers you will meet along the way and the memory's you will have in 20 years times will have made it all worth it.

My proof:I bought 1964 falcon futura in my pic. stopped twice for gas had small crowd at both places come up and compliment my find, even in her pretty bad shape. And the 2nd time I took her out had a guy in modern mustang yell at me "nice fuckin car man" and and bunch of guys on there porch do the same.

Just be ready for some problems like fueling up a pump, semi rare parts, etc. Oh and try to do as much of the work your self, it helps on money tight households alot, and makes you feel good when you can name all the shit in around your car. As for your gas tank just buy a new one they are use around 80-120 dollars.

But I want to keep it...

Looks oddly like my 66 dart...

Then buy one that's actually interesting and/or historically significant. Who the fuck wants a 60 year old camry?

They're just as interesting as any other 50s car.

Update. UHAUL are a bunch of jews. 221 dollars to rent a truck and car hauler to pick it up. Damn us for only having 4cyl vehicles...

But he dropped the price to 2200 for me to compensate for the uhaul, and he overhauled the brakes today.

That sounds like a damn good price for a running, driving vehicle with a Flathead V8

I think I bonded with the guy. He's retired military, older guy who loves cars and went through the same thing when he got married. Pretty sure he just wants to help keep the passion alive.

That and there is a 36 Packard that my 2k will give him the rest of the cash for it and he really wants it.