/Takata/ airbag recall general

For those not in the loop

>major airbag supplier Takata manufacture airbag inflators that explode and send shrapnel to your face when the airbag deploys
>12 deaths, over 140 people injured, many of them permanently blinded and disfigured
>because use is so widespread NHTSA is staggering the recall and only recalling the most at risk cars first
>older cars in high humidity areas have a 50% chance of rupture if airbag deploys
>zoning is based off of registration, so fleet cars registered in the north but drive frequently in the south are especially at risk

Please note that this list of affected vehicles from NHTSA may be left intentionally incomplete:

nhtsa.gov/recall-spotlight/takata-air-bags

Other urls found in this thread:

nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/annex_a_-_corrected.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Millions have received notice of recall but have the been told by dealers that there is not part availability. Most dealers will refuse to disable/remove airbags due to state laws. Some dealers are merely giving customers newer ammonium nitrate Takata inflators that will need to be replaced in the future.

>it gets worse

There are two major versions of the ammonium nitrate Takata inflators: those with a desiccant (drying agent) and those without. It was originnally thought that the desiccated inflators we're not vulnerable to rupture. That changed just 48 hrs ago when 2.7 mm of them were recalled I'm addition to the 40+ million non desiccated versions. New cars today are still being manufactured with both desiccated and non desiccated Takata ammonium nitrate airbag inflators.

>no Korean cars

Korea wins again, whale eaters

You can check if your car is immediately affected by the recall at safercar.gov

However, if your car isn't recalled, it doesn't mean that it doesn't have a Takata grenade behind the steering wheel.

Everyone should check this PDF:

nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/annex_a_-_corrected.pdf

If your vehicle is in a lower priority group (eg. Not PG1 or PG2), you probably don't have recall notice yet. You will have to remain at risk or sell your vehicle while others are helped first.

Korean cars of the past have used ARC airbags which have a similar shrapnel scandal brewing. I do not know if recent Kia's/Hyundais used ARC. I will be asking at the dealership this weekend.

There are a number of airbag OEM manufacturers.

ARC and Takata airbags are shrapnel bombs.

Daicel, ZF TRW, and Continental AG have run of the mill deployment issues, but they aren't known to actively send projectiles at your face at this time.

Is there a class action lawsuit going on yet that i can cash in on iif my car is on the list?

There numerous class action suit, including some for those not injured. Some pay for financial loss while we wait for parts.

I haven't found any lawyers near me willing to represent me. Both my car's have Takata inflators. Can't get them replaced. Going to sell the cars.

To clarify, here my households situtation:

>fiancee's Mercedes GLK 350 receives recall notice LAST FALL
>No Mercedes dealer has the part(s) almost a year later
>They clam that their recall is "voluntary" so they will not provide loaner cars/rental.

And then for me

>own a 2006 Honda Accord V6 Coupe
>the 2006 Accord sedan is recalled, but mine isn't so I'm curious
>go to local Honda dealer
>tell them that I am willing to pay the certified techs to visually inspect my airbags to tell me who they were manufactured by
>I don't want to fuck with them myself because a mechanic just died last year in a parked Honda trying to get to the airbag. I'll gladly pay $100+ to have someone who knows what they're doing take a look just for visual confirmation
>manager shows up and tells me they can't check the airbags for me
>same thing at 2nd local Honda dealer. they won't touch my car.
>Honda of America phone line is useless. they can't help either.
>go to local mechanic that i've worked with in the past. told him i'd pay him cash just to disable the SRS system entirely.
>he says no

So I'm basically fucked. I'm selling both cars and getting a car without Takata or ARC manufactured inflators. It's one thing for a safety component to fail. It's another thing for the safety component to become a deadly hazard in a 15 mph fender bender. Fuck that.

>got the recall in the mail a year ago
>just pulled the airbags out

>miata wins again

You could just, you know, not crash your car?

>Go to a dealer
>Get them replaced no big deal
Everything went better than expected.jpg

>a mechanic just died last year in a parked Honda trying to get to the airbag
How tf? I thought as long as the battery is disconnected it can't go off

The details are unclear. He may not have disconnected the battery. Or, the mixture could have been especially volatile and he could have puncture the cannister. Either way, it shouldn't kill you -- just deploy in your face.

>void your warranty
>void your insurance

You're more financially fucked here in the case of an accident than you would be by just eating the cost of a newer car.

>warranty
The car is 10 years old lol

Is there a special way to see if your car had the airbags changed already? I bought a 10' civic last year and dunno if the original first owner got them changed. Or should I just stop being a lazy fuck and go to a honda dealer and have them check.

2010 model years from Honda aren't recalled yet. They're too new.

>DD is on the recall list but is one year off from the recalled years

Not true, I just checked the honda airbag recall website

"2001-2011 Honda Civic"

Weird.. I'm pretty sure I remember receiving some letter from bmw that said my m3 was affected but that there wasn't a fix or procedure in place yet and that I'd be contacted later when there was (lol)

Now when I check on the sites above, my car doesn't come up as recalled. wewwwwwww

My 2008 335i has had this recall for a while. I wasn't aware it was for other vehicles as well. It doesn't bother me though... I feel like I would have other things to worry about if I crashed.

I can't wait to fucking die
I can't believe the government isn't doing a thing about this since it has to do with safety

BMW has been sticking newer Takata inflators in cars and telling customers they will be recalled again later.

The problem is that it turns 15 mph fender benders in the neighborhood into deadly accidents.

Many of the recent deaths have been in minor crashes at under 25 mph

Your model + year may be listed there, but if you're not recalled by VIN Honda won't help you. Good luck.

NHTSA struck a delayed with Takata to do the staged recall rollout. I guess they realized that there is not point in inciting mass panic when the factories can't turn out replacements fast enough.

The manufacturers that knew should burn. Fuck Honda. They knew in 2004 and keep putting them in cars thru 2016.

>passenger airbag got recalled
>haven't had a passenger in months because I'm a massive fucking loser
At least I don't have to worry

Is it really this bad? I guess I just thought it was one of those very rare cases that it would actually grenade. Can't say I did any research on it though.

>having airbags

kek

Yeah I had 2 cars affected by this recall and easily got them replaced at the dealer lol which makes me think this whole issue just stems from stupid liberals who aren't capable of reading

know dis feel well.

>tfw live in dry climate with a newer recall so my chances of dying are less then 50%
just end it already man

Yup. Fuck Honda. I got my CRZ drivers bag replaced and it took 5 fucking weeks. If they recall the passenger bag I'm driving this thing thru the front of the dealer and setting it on fire.

Same shit for bmw. Got a letter for my e92 32slow8 as well as the rest of the e9x series (im 2012MY) last year. Forward to now, no news and dealer foesnt have parts. Bmw gives you a loaner, but after a certain amount of months/miles, you start paying. Also the catch is your car has to stay at the dealer

You are fretting to much. Your much more likely to be saved by that airbag than harmed by it. Anyways just disconnect the battery, wait 20 minuted then disconnect the weight sensor in the passenger's seat.

They replaced the airbags and multifunction switch on my 15 year old car. Age doesn't matter.

>his car has airbags

>tfw live in humid ass virginia
Guess I wasn't planning on living anyways

I can't believe it is that difficult to have the airbag changed.

I have a 2005 rav4, recieved a letter from toyota on july 5th and menaged to change it the same day!

I live in italy btw

Couldn't you just... get a third party steering wheel with different type airbag?

It's the liberals man. Anytime you hear something sensationalist like this, you know it all stems from stupid liberals.

>get recall notice
>go to dealership
>they do it same day
>done

it's that simple. but liberals aren't able to do this for some reason. something gets lost in the 2 step process.

Seek help m8

Fellow CR-Z owner here, seriously it took the dealership I went to 5(five) fucking months to fix mine. They gave me a rental in the meantime which I totally hooned around with even though it was a shitbox.

This us fucked. I called the dealer for my new old 07 honda fit and asked if the recall affected me, they said I just had a recall for the master window switch. So j give then my info so they can get parts ordered.

2 weeks later I get a letter from Honda now claiming I have a airbag issue.

>12 deaths, over 140 people injured
Literally nothing. There's millions of these cars that have been rolling around like this for a decade

>Dumbass nouveau riche family gets mat stuck on gas pedal and dies
>everyone crucifies toyota and lexus for no reason

>GM ignition recall
>"lol yeah that happens, it's okay though because TOO BIG TO FAIL"

>Takata airbag recall happens
>no one gives a fuck
>"B-BUT LOOK GUYS FOREIGNERS WANT TO KILL YOU"

thats bullshit. when you go through Honda training, they tell you how to identify the airbag. They do this so Honda isn't replacing shitty knockoff ebay airbags for free.

If I remember right techs can enter the airbag serial number in HondaIN and figure out if it should be replaced. However, Honda knows what airbag serial numbers are installed on cars during manufacturing. So when you get a notice for a recall, its based off the airbag serial number that was installed from the factory, not a year/model range. When you install a new airbag, you have to enter that serial into HondaIN so Honda knows its been replaced.

If you are really concerned, take out the airbag fuse....

You have to disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes for the capacitors to discharge.

>honda shill shilling

OP here

I want to take all leftist for helicopter rides. I still can't get my airbags fixed. Again, if you're not in a high priority group, they won't give you the part. They don't have extras lying around. 2010 GLK 350 got recalled last fall. Still no fix available.

>tfw no FJ Cruiser listed on Takata Hit List

My god, every day I own this thing I am reminded of how much better it is than everything else on the road.

Fucking magnificent. Enjoy driving your claymore mines.

>Either way, it shouldn't kill you

It doesn't take a lot of force to stop your heart. A exploding airbag to the chest could do it.

Still that's kind of asking for it. It would be like working on your mains panel with the main breaker on.

I just bought a used Honda and the airbags being replaced were on the car fax, got lucky.

That thing looks cool, but I cannot afford yet

I have a 2008 Honda Civic

and noticed its one of the affected cars

wut do I do?

lol do you know how much that cost? thousands of dollars

The percentage of Takata airbags harming the users is low. Most of the time, the airbags will deploy properly. It's just unknown which ones will snag and rip out a piece of metal that then flies into the passenger cabin. That piece of metal can go in various directions and miss you entirely. Sure, you resent the fact that there is even metal exploding out at the speed of the airbag, but if it misses you, then a miss by half-an-inch is as good as if it never happened. So the chance of harm is overblown due to mass paranoia.

Takata deceptively negotiated a delayed recall to give it time to legally transfer out the assets that could be seized. It's core company assets were then purchased by a chinese company. You can try to sue a chinese company, but even Disney has lost lawsuits for various movies the chinese re-made and claimed as their own unique and original invention.

It was a mistake to allow that time to Takata since they used it to disburse assets before selling off the remainder to a chinese company. Thus there is not much left for any class action lawsuit to get a hold of including future earnings of any new "re-made" version of Takata.

Only thing that car has goin for ya then, cause it's ugly as fucking shit.

If I shoot you and miss does that make it okay?

Or everyone can fucking ignore this low-IQ fucking retard and go get your airbags replaced for fucking free.

>2001 Honda Civic
>recalled, not replaced
>live on coast with high humidity
Wew
I'm gonna removed them, but someone already got killed removing EM2 airbags, so what the hell.
If I don't post anything in a long time, assume I'm dead. I know you'd like to.

dont dead pls

just remove the battery first and discharge yourself like you're working on a computer and you should be fine.
Airbags have special connectors that close off the entire circuit when disconnected to prevent unintended detonation.

No.

source?

Will do, thanks.

>trusting the design of airbags that spew rusty metal in your face

>No
Yes?

You are the retard here. That poster never said car owners have to pay for replacements.

The car manufacturers are the ones taking the financial losses when Takata runs away from paying for the airbags.

Takata did nothing wrong

Does this effect the VAG lineup? I havent heard or read anything.

I'm a tech at a Lexus dealership and I replace these damn airbags every day. AMA. I'll also post some ocumentation us techs got to brief us on the recall.

based Acura RSX

The fuck are you even saying? That poster was insinuating that this airbag shit isn't even a big deal and you shouldn't worry about it essentially, that your chances of getting hit are "low"

I'm saying he's a fucking sped and I'm saying people shouldn't even read what he said and go get their airbags replaced for free so they don't have to take any "chances"

Spill the beans on the info you have. Tell some stories. No specific questions.

It's kind of a practically mandatory safety interconnect. All modern airbags use a similar connector.
It's for protecting factory workers and technicians while the car is being dis/assembled. When you pull the plug apart, the airbag end has grounding straps that jump the connectors, preventing electrical charge from entering the airbag's circuit and detonating. You still need to discharge the car's electrical system beforehand though, because if you disconnect them while the car has a battery, you may get arcing and airbag detonation.

Here's a VW one. See the silvery piece of metal at the end of the hanging connector? That's what I'm talking about.

Ok, first heres some stuff from the briefing we got. The recall is divided into 3 Zones with staggered implementation

ZONE A: Zone A vehicles are identified as having been originally sold, currently registered, or
previously registered in a Zone A state or US territory: AL, CA, FL, GA, HI, LA, MS, SC, TX, American Samoa, Guam,
Puerto Rico, Saipan, and the US Virgin Islands. These states and U.S. territories have been identified as having high
temperature cycling and humidity. Time in service until significant propellant degradation may occur is projected at
between 6-9 years.

ZONE B: Zone B vehicles are identified as having been originally sold, currently registered, or
previously registered in a Zone B state: AZ, AR, DE, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NM, NC, OH, OK, PA, TN,
VA, WV, and the District of Columbia. These states have been identified as having moderate temperature cycling and
humidity. Time in service until significant propellant degradation may occur is projected at between 10-15 years.

ZONE C: Zone C vehicles are identified as having not been originally sold in zone A or B, not
currently registered in Zone A or B, and never previously registered in Zone A or B. Zone C states are: AK, CO, CT, ID,
IA, ME, MA, MI, MN, MT, NH, NY, ND, OR, RI, SD, UT, VT, WA, WI, and WY. These states have been identified as
having lower temperature cycling and humidity. Time in service until significant propellant degradation may occur is
projected at between 15-20 years

The subject vehicles are equipped with front passenger airbag inflators produced by Takata. According to Takata, the
propellant in these inflators may degrade after prolonged exposure to high absolute humidity and fluctuating high
temperatures. Degraded propellant can cause inflator rupture during airbag deployment. In the event of an inflator
rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material, striking the vehicle occupants, and result in
serious injury or death.

>passenger airbag only goes off when there's a passenger
Phew. Had me worried for a minute. Guess I won't even bother with the recall

Yes. Click on the link in the OP. VW and Audi are heavily impacted.

On the subject of people dying while attempting to remove the airbag, I have to say, it's kinda hard to fuck up. I leave the battery connected and I've replaced hundreds of airbags without a single problem. I heard a story around the shop that a former tech was replacing an airbag ecu and his electric impact fell on the ecu and it caused the knee airbag to deploy, injuring him. That's the only airbag-related injury I've heard so far, and it didn't even end in death. There may be one or two people in the shop who actually disconnect the battery but most don't because there's little to no risk in injury.

Turn the car off. All the way. Not IGN On, not ACC.
Remove glovebox, knee airbag, etc. to get to the affected airbag.
Unplug the airbag. In my case, there is a yellow clip that we have to pry up to allow us to remove the connector(s)
Slip the airbag out from the dash
Install in reverse order of removal.

Not sure if this info is in the FAQ but if your zone is based off where the car was originally sold, where it has been registered, and where it has been serviced (location of dealership). That means if you live in a Zone 2 state but the car was sold and driven for a bit in a Zone 1 state, you may be included in the Zone 1 phase of the recall.

did he died?

I took all my airbags out so hopefully I'll die in a crash.

Not yet, I'll live stream the removal so you guys can catch my decapitation live.

Thanks user, glad to know my car isn't affected. Sadly, looks like some family has steering wheel mounted grenades. Here's to hoping they care enough to turn in for the recall.

we always disconnected the battery for airbags at the stealership

>Seat isnt listed

w...wew?
Alas, this whole thread seems to only deal with the murrican market. Are youropoors safe?

My car needs the recall on the front passenger airbag. Thankfully I will be forever alone, so nobody will ever get hurt by the front passenger seat bag.

P 5 here:// 10 Golf

What do A, B, and C mean

I got a recall notice for this for my car.

>Millions have received notice of recall but have the been told by dealers that there is not part availability.
Why should Takata make millions of airbag replacements for free? They get blamed for faulty air bags and the cost reduces their profit. It's cheaper (better) to disburse assets and sell the infrastructure to a chinese company that is immune to usa and european court decisions. Under the usa Most Favored Nation trading status, that chinese company can even continue selling in the usa market because the status confers certain limits on how much blocking can be done by court orders. Clever move of Takata to protect its investors and principals. It takes some losses selling down the corporation to form the new notTakata company, but there is a lot of savings over the method where Takata continued to exist and made airbags for free to replace the bad ones.

Look it up... I'm not the guy you replied to but I've looked into it for my Golf, for a few one w/o airbag it's $700

Sometimes, the airbag computer module blows and has to be replaced as well. In my old old GM car (which I no longer have), if the airbag blows, it also causes the dash display (exception of the odometer) to no longer work. That does seem to force the owner to go to the dealer to have it fixed as opposed to doing a private airbag replacement off the books.

My airbags went off and it would be $3600 for replacement of the airbags.

Not rly

>Why should Takata make millions of airbag replacements for free?

Because the ones they sold the first time around kill people in 10 mph fender benders? Because they knew of the defect in 2004 and continued to sell similar products through 2016?

Kys kike

NHTSA said that in the high risk vehicles (01-03 Honda in High Humidity states), there is a 50% chance of shrapnel grenade if the airbag deploys. They haven't given hard figures for the "low risk" zones. An independent forensics firm said that they turn into shrapnel bombs about 3% of the time on average.