What does Veeky Forums know about RVs?

What does Veeky Forums know about RVs?

Not bad but not a good DD. Too big and gas mileage is bad

Well, but theoretically they don't have to be driven anywhere daily. I mean, you could park in your work's parking lot and leave it there. Then when you go home at night, you don't have a commute.

Yeah that's true but also illegal and will have you fined and towed

How is it illegal?

>INB4 le fuk you're mom funni joke

Companies don't want your house parked in their parking lot everyday

Imagine pulling up to wal mart and seeing 30 RVs across the parking lot looking like land ornaments

>pave twenty acres of parking lot for every superstore
>GOD FORBID ANYONE USING ONE OF THE THREE THOUSAND PARKING SPOTS FOR SOMETHING OTHER THAN SHOPPING AT NIGHT
Parking spots are literally a waste of space whenever they're unused.

It's funny that you mention that because Wal-Mart explicitly allows you to park your RV there. They think that having people camped in their parking lots provides for better security, since they're basically free guards who can call police or the fire department if something goes wrong.

Meanwhile, I'm not so sure what any other given company would object to, supposing you weren't taking up too much space and weren't causing any problems. And you'd probably need to move it once every few days anyway, if for no other reason than to dump your gray and black water tanks and fill up on fresh water.

"Illegal" is too strong a term, but my guess is your employer will not be cool with it if they find out. It could fuck up their liability insurance, among other things.

Yeah but it's not your property so you can't live there. Large parking lots like that are actually used for overnight parking for semi trucks and your 50 filthy RVs would take up 3/4 parking lot space at 4AM

Welp, then there's stealth camping. Park a block away and move it to a different block every night.

What if they're clean RVs?

Knew a guy that worked at walmart and lived in a van in the parking lot. He did that for 8 years. Saved a fuckton of ccash and bought a house. It dependss on the people you work for.

Must have been a kickass van.

it was an old shitty dodge van. never saw the interior. years that van sat in the same fucking spot and then one day it was gone. dont have to be fancy to be comfy i suppose.

True. I have standards for the interior of an RV to live in, though. It has to have a real bed with a real mattress, not just fold up seats or something. It has to have a head (toilet) and a shower. It has to have a sink with running hot and cold water, at least when not winterized. It has to have a heater for the winter and a/c for the summer. It has to have a refrigerator with a freezer. It has to have an oven, a stove, and a microwave (and not some combo convection microwave gayness). It has to be large enough to fit all these things, and have enough engine/battery capacity/generator to run them. Realistically it should be propane and probably diesel for fuel economy. If the generator runs on diesel like the engine, that simplifies fuel supply concerns. The propane can be saved for the heater, stove, and refrigerator then.

If he was just straight up living in the van and it never moved, then I don't know where he was shaving and taking showers. He probably didn't eat very healthy, and just had like a sleeping bag and an air mattress.

I lived in a mid-sized sedan for a year. It was cramped but do-able. Cleaning was the hardest thing for me. I had to use baby wipes and a fucking wash bucket and washrag. That shit was depressing. That was the only thing I didnt like about living in my car. I have been thinking about doing it again, but in a van this time. You can easily get a twin/full size mattress in the back and I have ideas about a sit down shower. When I was in my car I was able to live off of about $4/day. It was fucking great to be able to work a week at a shitty job and be able to cover my expenditures for the month. Traveled a lot also. Saw and did a lot of things.

I miss it and every time I see a thread like this I start looking for vans.

It seems like everybody on youtube who tries to live the vanlife on a budget winds up breaking down and being stranded, begging for money. Save up $~50k for a nice rig then do it.

>mfw this does 0-60 in 25 seconds
Faster than some euro cars and bigger than most people's flats. Pretty impressive.

Something like that is expensive as fuck. Unless you live in a place like L.A. it would be cheaper just to buy a home.

>vanlife on a budget winds up breaking down and being stranded

A lot of the vanlife people have the mentality of "im not a debt slave" so they buy vans with 400k miles on them for $500 and their vans shit the bed two weeks later. If you are going to live in it, buy new.

What do you know about good fruit punch?

Depends on how old you get it, but you can buy a brand new Coachmen Prism 24J on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis for $70k. People pay more than that for some cars on this site. A couple years old used, and you can get it for far less.

They're around $100k which doesn't get you much of a house anywhere good. NYC and LA are just retarded places and don't matter. The average house is around $500k in the good places. That's why old people and snowbirds buy them and live out of them for most the year.

That's a well appointed class C. A little big for my taste. I looked into the 1990's Winnebego Rialtas, because they were short enough to almost fit in a single regulation parking spot. (Definitely small enough to fit in two). But I like the Coachmen Prism because it fits all my other requirements I think, although it's much pricier.

You don't want to go too old when buying a used RV unless it was maliciously cared for. They can become leaking money pits real fast.

Does that thing even have a V10?

No, I can't disagree with that more. Definitely buy mechanically sound, but new RVs always, always, always have defects. That's because the coachbuilding process is essentially custom. Every one is a tiny little bit different from every other one. The first owner has to find out the little ideosynchrasies of his truck, and then fix them. If you're the second owner, you can be reasonably assured that someone else got rid of the most annoying problems already.

Nothing, why?

3.0L Mercedes diesel V6. Maybe a bit underpowered, but it gets 20MPG. That's huge for an RV because you're going to take it on trips across the country.

I know I want to build one of these.

>Chevy big block gasser

Abysmal mileage though

Why does it need all those lights on the roof, do you think?

Would the back 2 axles be powered is all I can think? no way an 'off road' vehicle like that would be designed to haul a big ass trailer like that where there's no roads

Why not? There's the "toyhauler" class of RVs that are specifically for keeping things like ATVs and transporting them around.

Those threads where faggots ask what car gets bitches. Post this.

The two rear axles I think are just for additional load bearing and stability. It would admittedly be cool as shit to somehow power the trailers axles, though. Also, I'm willing to bet that trailer isn't too terribly heavy since it's most likely had everything stripped from it. I'd wager maybe 2.5 tons.
Dino huntin. Also rule of cool.

Most parking lot owners prohibit heavy trucks from using them. Wal-Mart specifically allows overnight camping. What fucking world do you live in?

More than you.

enough to know that you didn't post one
that's a misery vehicle, not a recreational vehicle

What's a misery vehicle?

a vehicle that makes you miserable

But I think that one will make me happy.

> Cheaper than a hotel room!
Not when you factor in having to buy the RV and maintain it and insure it and replace it every so often.
> ROAD TRIPS!
Ruin the drive by taking a shitty hotel room you have to clean yourself with you. Ruins the drive for everyone else, too.
> B-but it's my home away from home!
Clean everything yourself, limited water without mains hookup, limited electricity without mains hookup or idling the engine constantly, empty your own toilet.
> CHEAPER THAN AN APARTMENT
If you want to live like a gypsy or homeless person and treated as such by the authorities, sure.
> Park it at work, no commute!
Do you really want to live at work? Do you live only to work?

You sound like a pikey. Do you roll up in stolen caravans with 20 of your friends and their shitty children, shit all over the place while stealing everything and hurling racial abuse along with handfuls of the community shit pile, and have to be moved on by the police?

>move it to a different block every night.
And ruin your engine with constant short movements.

Driving along completely unlit roads through the jungle that haven't been touched by human hands for a decade, and for scaring away T-rex and raptors.
Much like why it needs bars on the windows

>Much like why it needs bars on the windows

this.

although the bars are made of wood.

>limited water without mains hookup, limited electricity without mains hookup or idling the engine constantly, empty your own toilet.

Even little class c's have 300 liter water tanks and mini gensets. Emptying the shit tanks isn't that big of a deal. You're really not supposed to shit in them unless you really have to.