What does Veeky Forums feel about Mercedes?

what does Veeky Forums feel about Mercedes?
sure some people seem to love unimogs, but honestly some of the cars are sketchy, for example airmatic

was this mercedes greatest mistake?

mercedes engineering

why as far as I'm concerned this car was fucking great

Isn't that just beautiful.

No, this was.

they fell for money
once they were kangz

Never really liked their styling, they looked dated even when they were new.
Always preferred BMW as their styling looks fresh even for their 80's cars.

their wagons look like they have soul

Everything after W140 is pure garbage.

I still want a W123 Coupe, though.

as a bit of a mercedes fangirl i can agree on this

Love me some s123

>W140

Y A K U Z A
A
K
U
Z
A

They do big engines right. Nips don't even bother and amerifats can only compete with decrepit pushrod design

They're my favorite manufacturer overall. Especially 70's 80's 90's and very early 00's models.

Those I appreciate because of their build quality and durability on the older ones, and ease of service. For the early 00 models I enjoy them because they still feel modern yet can be had for a hell of a price to go fast. They are also still workable yourself at home. Less so with newer ones.

Newer models I can appreciate as they seem to have tons of tech stuffed into them. Not sure I'd buy any new Mercedes other than an AMG GT if I could afford one, though. If I had new S class money, I would buy a fleet of 80s and 90s models.

Styling on the CLK GTR, AMG GT, SLS AMG, 560SEC, R129 SL Class, 300CE, 201/124/126 chassis other models in general, is my favorite overall.

The Mogs are very good off road and cool as hell but I do not know much about them. I know most about the 80s and 90s passenger cars. Older G class are cool too.

Quality, performance, and price, as well as styling and design philosophy all come together in a perfect mix with these older cars.

Hnnnng

but most of those had god awful fuel injection.
just look, most 70's and all 80's engines had this shit system.

I have a 300CE with 320K miles and have never had a fuel related problem ever.

>what does Veeky Forums feel about Mercedes?
Used to be good, then made unreliable garbage, and now make boring soulless garbage

And yes, I understand the Bosch KE Jetronic injection system was not known for being reliable, but the engines themselves are known for reliability. And it's true, mine always starts and there are countless others with good reliability.

Jetronic gets fucky when people who don't know what they're doing go in and start trying to adjust mixtures and shit thinking they'll fix the problem. If your fuel pumps are in good shape, your check valves are not sticking, and your filter is not clogged it operates fairly reliably. Points of failure are typically those aforementioned, or in addition clogged injectors if not kept clean, failing FPR which is admittedly an expensive part at ~250 for a good one, and seals on the fuel distributor blowing out, which can be had cheaply to rebuild. The fuel distributor can be rebuilt.

Like I said it's fine until one of those things go wrong (OR something electrical (voltage regulator is 40 dollar part and can cause fuel like symptoms) and inexperienced people start messing with settings and adjustments. Then it all goes to hell.

I'm not saying there aren't caveats. There are. You just have to learn them. These cars are very special in that regard. You learn the caveats and nothing is impossible. There are a lot of caveats too, but the driving experience and comfort and aesthetics of these cars is worth it in my experience.

There is also still decent aftermarket for these cars. You can get a full body kit for a 124 on Ebay for like 700 bucks. Every problem there is to go wrong has been fixed many times and is well documented. Shop manuals are available online for many models, and there is a whole YouTube channel that goes over nothing but the little gotchas you just have to know (Mercedessource)

Its a love hate thing. Not the car for someone who doesn't like little idiosyncrasies and "Easter eggs" and I mean that in the most endearing way.

bois bois stop pls my dick cant resist so long

dead

Top tier for luxury cars, not in the same tier as prestige marques though (RR, Bentley, etc.)

The AMG badge has been cheapened in recent years but not as badly as M Performance.

Generally unreliable but not the worst.

Killed off the best sounding V8 ever made.

7/10 it's okay

bet they made a metric ton of gold with that little shitbox

6.2 v8 was legendary