/civ4xg/ - Strategy/4X General

This thread is for all strategy games that do not have their own thread, focusing on 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate).
tags: /cbg/ /rtsg/ /wgg/

>Stellaris
- FAQ : pastebin.com/abGgZJnT (suggestions/feedback welcome, reply to OP with them)
- The Development of Stellaris gamasutra.com/view/news/274018/Postmortem_Paradox_Development_Studios_Stellaris.php
- WIP Ship Design Guide for 1.5.1 pastebin.com/2QWUPKSh
- Another Ship Design Guide for 1.5 reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/61nolh/ship_equipment_load_out_for_141_15/
- Wiki stellariswiki.com/Stellaris_Wiki

>Endless Legend
- Manual cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/289130/manuals/User'sManual.pdf?t=1413562467
- Wiki endlesslegendwiki.com/Endless_Legend_Wiki

>Civilization
- Fix for Civ IV BTS XML errors: dropbox.com/sh/ljdms8ygix2btcs/AACC_IGIy7zAkomwA6S4DJp3a?dl=0
- D.I.C.E. Summit 2016 - Civilization 25th Anniversary Panel youtube.com/watch?v=h65FXaJHbhE
- Civilization Analyst (Civ VI, Civ V, BE) well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html
- Civ V Giant Multiplayer Robot - multiplayerrobot.com
- District Cheat Sheet hydra-media.cursecdn.com/civ6.gamepedia.com/2/29/District_Cheat_Sheet.png?version=07510f0f43d7188e00e7046c90360dba

>Alpha Centauri
- Essential improvements pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri#Essential_improvements
- Official short stories mediafire.com/folder/cn11q7nqa00te/Alpha_Centauri

Last thread:

old thread isn't maxed out

offtopic OP

How are spiders Strategy/4X related?

Because just like spiders, players in 4x games start by exploring the environnement, looking for the best place to settle, and then they start building a base, explore a little bit more, find enemies to crush, and exploit their braindead AI to take them out.

Too early you fucking retard.

If you post another spider in this thread, your mom will die painfully choking on her lunch tomorrow.

people bitching about the OP makes me laugh
who even looks at the OP for longer than you click the link to it

Reminder for whoever makes next OP that /wgg/ exists again on its own so it should be removed from the tags

Can't we put all the Stellaris-related links in the FAQ and save some place in the OP?

Also, you'll have to remove the /wgg/ tag next time.

Last thread's op shitpost and called us 'space-/gsg/', I'm thinking the people butthurt about the spider remind me of them more than anything else.

Would adding /civ/ and /end/ to the new thread tags be good? I can't see why not, since most people will probably search for those. Civ for civ, end for endless games.

Reminder that more negative traits are on the way and they are retardedly aggravating

not all of them will spawn for the AI though you pussies looking for an easy game

Killing something that's already dead means bringing her back to life, right?

Yeah, my bad. I completely forgot to remove the tags.

I'm happy someone else noticed it.

/civ/ would be redundant, it's already in the general's name.
Next OP (assuming it's not me) may add /end/.

Be sure to remember everyone when we'll reach 700 posts.

I mean, the last OP wasn't wrong.

There was some Civ 4 discussion about Fall from Heaven and Caveman2Cosmos. Like, 6 posts of it.

Is Syncretic Evolution any good?

How about Mechanist?

Also, what are some positive/negative traits that you almost always take regardless of playthrough?

I heard here that Sedentary/Deviant/Weak are some popular ones to take, but that Non-Adaptive was terrible for example

They're a waste of a trait, Syncretic Evolution actively hurts you and mechanist isn't good enough to warrant the slot.

Need more suggestions for a mod. Currently focused on buffing/nerfing existing content.

What I've done so far:
>homeworlds are bigger (20-25 tiles, or 18-25 for primitives)
>mineral silos give a smaller capacity bonus, larger adjacency bonus, no longer planet unique
>Dyson sphere produces 200% more energy

I'm working on making missiles less shit right now but I'll need you guys to test the tweaks for me.

>Syncretic Evolution actively hurts you
How?

Allow more megastructures to be built at a time
Remove planetary survey corps

You have to disable pop-migration or you'll end up with a capital full of your slaves, theres no actual bonus attached like mechanist and having half of your early population be slaves can seriously fuck with your energy/research production before you have tools to mitigate it.

Planetary Survery Corps are supposed to represent Star Trek. It's sort of valid.

To boldly go can do that

What would you suggest replacing PSC with?
I don't disagree that it's too strong but I've gotta put something else in there.

>missiles

Theres a missile mod that increases damage and missile HP. Maybe take a look at that for inspiration.

Make Ringworlds cheaper or make habitats more expensive. That or give ringworlds a energy boost or something, no reason a band around a star cant reap power for its star.

But it's supposed to represent the idea of ships like the enterprise LITERALLY.

A ship going around acting as a mobile research lab. Every day a new problem, every day a new discovery.

I don't like the Discovery Tradition, but I still know what it's supposed to represent.

+5% sensor range

I kinda wanted to restart after I found out I started right next to a fallen empire, but honestly it has its perks.
As long as you are nice to them and plan your empire in a way that won't piss them off, you'll be safe when they wake up and go on their galactic school-shooting spree. Because the AI is never NOT dickish to it's neighbors, the fallen empires will always target them.

>give ringworlds a energy boost or something, no reason a band around a star cant reap power for its star.
Actually, something I was thinking about is to stop mineral harvesting on ringworlds (because it makes no goddamn sense) but give a significant boost to energy and science production.

>get beat in making two threads in a row so you have to resort to making a thread ten posts early
0/10
Apply yourself.

Some more:

Reduce ringworld construction time. Megastructures suffer from "game is way past over" syndrome and by the time you can even construct them it's almost over and by the time you have constructed them the unbidden died 60 years ago. Dyson spheres, too. Either that or make Mega Engineering easier to obtain.

If you wanna spend more time, you could Tier the megastructures by adding more technologies, like so:

>T1 Megastructure Engineering
>Unlocks Science Nexus, Sentry Array, Habitats

>T2
>Unlocks Dyson Spheres

>T3 (what we have right now)
Unlocks ring worlds

Am I going to see any problems with 1.5.1 mods on 1.5? Mods are currently split between the versions and I'm unsure if that bugfix snuck in anything that'd cause problems.

1.5 had a problem with mods that edited defines.txt so if you rollback, any mod that relies on changing that file will brick.

>five answers to the OP
>four of them are people whining about the spider

>still no mod that turns Prethoryn infestations into sexual parasitism of your pops

Not rolling back, still on 1.5 right now. If I let it update, is that going to break 1.5 mods?

Please rate my peace-loving plants

You should be fine. If any do break, edit the .mod file that comes with the "broke" mods with Notepad and change the supported version line from 1.5.0 to either 1.5.1 (only works on that version) or 1.5.* (works on any 1.5 version)

Is f. xenophobe egalitarian the best ethos for a tall meme playthrough?
The borders give you an insane amount of real estate to fill with stations per planet.

Whining about the spider posting early because his autism couldn't handle the fact that someone could make a thread besides him

Just spotted a typo in the bio and fixed it

>an utopic
>will not tot shy away

>retard get in an autistic rage
>somehow he's not the autist
Lol okay

I already corrected that

> Somehow I'M the badguy

Why are they xenophobic? Nothing about them is xenophobic,

They're xenophiles user

>No Inwards perfection
unoptimised/10

Both can't be replaced but effectively double your early game growth. Mechanist is pretty great for materialists and Syncretic is great on authoritarians. Not being able to replace them sucks as the civic is completely useless in the mid to late game other than the early lead you should have.

Xenophile m8

Nonadaptive isnt really that bad unless you're minmaxing for maximum happiness.

What's your favorite galaxy shape, Elliptical Spiral or Ring?

Oh nevermind I'm retarded, if thats the case, pretty good.

>RE awakens but gives me chance to become satellite
>leave my allies to fend them off while my scientists gawk at their ringwords

*FE *ringworlds, fuck

I get the sudden urge to enslave them and then turn them into robots...

First pass at missile buffing:
>Doubled health for level 3 and level 5 missiles
>Increased evasion for all missiles by 50%
>Added shield to level 5 missiles (1/2/3) and spaceport missiles (1/1.5/2)

Too much? Not enough?

They'll still get killed by flak. Triple health and triple plain PD damage at the minimum.

Don't waste effort with shielding. damage types don't matter when killing missiles.

Can anyone suggest a game mixing economy and civ/base-building?
I had someone recommending The Guild, but I'm not fond of the Middle Ages ambiance.

Only playtesting and battle reports can tell

Flak does like 20-30 damage, if you wanna buff missles nerf flak. That will also buff strike craft. Also, I think reducing missile fire time and increasing their damage massively will address the overkill problem in some way. Still bad if you have billions of missiles firing though.
Also, reduce the armor pen on plasma guns. 90% is fucking ridiculous.

>damage types don't matter when killing missiles.
True.
I'll just increase the health a little more.

Also true.

I'm going to cut damage and accuracy on flak.
Would you guys say regular PDs in a good place?

So, I tried the executor dreadnaught mod. Did I do something wrong? That shit is weak as shit, it couldn't take down a much weaker enemy.

If you're gonna spam that shitty comic every thread at least post some different content for us to see

Also, the fuck is that translation? What's a decapitation thread?

syncretic doesnt double your growth, its the same because the growth is divided by the two races

do mega structure lights match flag/ship lights?

Oh, that's a very nice pun you made here.

But about my question, can you suggest a fun game?

>effectively double your early game growth
If two species are on the same planet, growth is divided between them.

>Open up the Stellaris launcher.
>Automatically deletes the Automated Behavior Ajdustment mod file from the folder.
What. Why?

>Occupy every single one of my enemy's planets
>Destroy his entire fleet
>Obliterate all his mining and research stations
>Even swat down all his science and construction ships
>83% War Score
This fucking game is busted.

IT'S HAPPENING

War score is fucking retarded when you are fighting multiple empires. It just does not work. I went to war against 4 empires. 1 planet was 4% warscore. My only wargoal was HUMILIATE for fuck sake, it would have took about 24 planets just to get that. If I wanted to keep those planets, I'd have to take another 90 or some stupid shit like that.

Fuck defensive alliances. Fuck federations. Fuck independence guarantees.

Anyone got better than -3288?

> Skipping warscore cost reduction techs
Pacifist agrarian idyll memers shocked, SHOCKED that they suck at war. News at eleven.

Here. I had the two -50% war demands, -25% from Domination (or supremacy), that's 75% for ceding planets. That still costs more than humiliate, which is a base of 10 and can't be reduced.

The problem is with the warscore system as a whole. It's shit, stop defending it.

Dimension wurm won. They're attacking again though. Not sure it will make it this time.

Oddly enough I've made a mod that Throws in a couple extra weapons and rebalances vanilla stuff.

It is a tricky thing really, you have to battletest this stuff a far amount to have some idea of where you want this stuff to be at.

Just a outline of what I've done to missiles:
>Added XL missiles
>Missile HP for medium has double the HP of small missiles, Large has x4, XL has x8.
>Missile Speed has been increase to 12 from 5, decreases slightly with missile size
>Added Anti-Armour and Anti-Shield variants
>Swarmer missiles have less evasion, but double the firerate and HP, as well as being available in S/M/L instead of just M.
>Missile evasion is constant and starts at 40% increasing to 80% at level 5, 100% at level 7.
>Missile accuracy and tracking is one of the highest in the game.

Generally, It's a rock paper scissors with Missiles, PD and normal weapons. Although you can even the odds without PD by using Appropriate Armour and shields on Battleships.

In addition Flak cannons (and other anti-strikecraft weapons) have a flat 50% tracking.
Other PDs have been added: Lasers, Interceptor Missiles and so on. Some types are better against larger missiles, some smaller and so on.

>still no mod adding giant pincers for melee combat
Meh.

You're the guy who made that?

Pls remove the Camera edits in defines.txt, it's really annoying when the map zooms all the way out every time

Anyway, some weapons are bugged, and do less damage than their upgraded versions. Think one of the Kinetic Artillery things is one of them.

Thanks pham, I like the mod

She's cute. Source?

Reimu Hakurei, from Touhou.

>That weapon tree
Looks like a lot of pointless fluff.

I'm of the personal opinion that HP should stay fairly consistent across missile sizes. Instead, damage should scale much stronger than the standard 1S/2M/4L system. Something more like 1S/3M/10L.

That way large missiles hit very hard but are easily swatted by PD. Small missiles fill up the field with lots of missile HP and thus are difficult to kill.

>think of a fun roleplaying possibility to try in stellaris
>get amazing starting luck and have smooth sailing for the first chunk of the game
>start meeting all the other races and having to create sectors
>suddenly lose will to play
>repeat the cycle the next time I boot up the game

EVERYONE GIVE DIMENSION WURM YOUR ENERGY!!

>start game
>have fun
>declare war on someone
>get bored because cat and mouse with transport bait is fucking boring
>do it again the next day anyway

I like to make custom factions whose ethics are the complete polar opposite of each other, and then putting them in my games so they always form natural rivalries

Does anyone else do this or am I just autistic like that?

>battletest
Speaking of, do you have any suggestions for doing this?

Basically cheat out the ass so you can set things up.

It's easier if you cheat with a friend to help out.

Paradox console has gotten pretty good over the years. I bet there's a spawn unit command.

Start a game, give yourself infinite resources, tech, and short build times. Spawn an enemy fleet. Even better write an event that copies the spawn pattern of unbidden or prethoryn and test as much as possible.

This is the comfiest hypermeme only start I've had so far.

It looks like the Advanced Projectile autocannons didn't have an updated maximum damage value
The camera bug should have been fixed on the 27th, I`ll look into it again if it's still being a shit.

I see your point but I don't particularly like how hard you can counter missiles, I don't see how this would help as you effectively force people into a corner spamming corvettes and destroyers

>galactic school-shooting spree
lmao

>tfw when you start in an obscure part of the map
>thats filled with yummy minerals and credits
>and their is only one way in or out
>and nothing is blocking your path
shits great yo

[ALIEN VESSELS DISCOVERED IN SISAJA SYSTEM]

I haven't found anything better than using instant_build, research_technologies and attackallfleets

I'd love to see a spawn unit command

can anyone else confirm this? Are the dreadnaughts a meme?

Of course m8

Ah, shit. They look cool. But I had one , on its own it had 50k and it couldn't take down a 28k force.

Meh.

add_ship *classname*