How long until im fucked ?

Hey Veeky Forums,

just opened up my engine block because I noticed the used car i bought ate oil (~0,9L / 1000km).
Thought I'd just change the oil scrapers and maybe some old beat up gaskets.
Then I came across this shit. I feel pretty scammed right now, you don't have to tell me that i should've noticed it sooner.

How long can I still drive this thing before it shits the bed ?

My guess? Not long. Aside from the top that cylinder looks pretty washed out and that scoring might be from a ring coming apart. If you can hone it and put new rings in that might help but at that point you might as well just do a full rebuild.

What am I looking at here?

Yeah, I'm planning on buying an old engine block an gut it anyways.
I'll probably still need to drive around until I actually have the time to do that.

The cylinders aren't washed out, the're crusty :'(

Carbon buildup in a cylinder

My theory right now is that the scratches predate the carbon buildup.

>Gas gets ignited
>Some of the pressure escapes downward, through the cracks
>To prevent overpressure in the oil tank air is being released
>Misty oily vapor is being refunneled into the cylinder
>Repeat until crusty

Is that plausible ?

Hate think what the valves look like. Or what a leak down test would show.

I would've said don't pull the head, just put heavier weight oil in it and oil treatment in it and drive it until it blows up and then deal with it but now that you got the engine apart and you know it's fucked, time to swap it out, I guess. No point in putting it back together again, that's for sure.

I know, I'm trying to get spare parts ASAP.
Surprisingly enough everything else is in decent condition. I measured compression beforehand and it was OK too.

no. the air filter should catch the oil vapors. carbon build up happens regularly by gas. but what happens here is oil is being left in that gap and get's burned upon ignition. resulting in more carbon build.

There's several places that can leak oil into the combustion chamber, user. Don't really know enough to narrow down which one it is. If it was an engine with a lot of miles on it, it could've been just worn out. All engines start burning oil when they get old.

or no wait you're right. the oil breather is after the air filter. dummy that i am...

Could also be true.
My father had a similar car (almost the same engine) 8 years ago.
Before he sold it he had about the same mileage that I have now and he never had any problems with oil disappearing, so I thought the problem might be a little bit more specific than just wear and tear.

Maintenance matters. Better maintenance, longer engine life. But even a well maintained engine will eventually get to the same place, just at a different time.

On one hand I'm glad I took a good look at the engine, on the other hand i feel pretty scammed because I only got 5k km out of it so far.
The previous owner probably didn't know either, but I still hate his guts right now.

Never; nobody will ever love you.

>fuel cleaners are snake oil
>i just buy cheap gas
>its all the same

I haven't even driven 6k with this car yet.

what engine?

Its an old Opel, Z18XE 1.8 125 HP Gasoline

you really cant hate his guts, because even if he knew about it, thats the risk youand all of us take buying a used car, its a lottery, the chance you get burned is higher than the chance of you getting lucky, you just account for it when you buy it.

Yeah I know, I just can't help it.

It doesnt matter how far you drove it. How many fucking miles did it have when you bought it?

>buying used
kek

That scoring isn't a result of maintainence, that engine has been overheated and "pulled" (lightly piston seized). It's certainly not ideal. If the cars not worth much, just chuck it back together and run a heavier weight oil. It's not gonna go out and blow up, it will just always be a leaky oil burning piece of shit.

Could you elaborate on the "pulled" part ? Would be really interesting to know what actually could've caused this.

a fucked cylinder

If it's a cheap shitbox I would drive it until it starts burning an unreasonable amount of oil then worry about it.

Fortunately it is a cheap shitbox.
Unfortunately I am broke and can't get to work without my car. The car breaking down would probably cost me more in the long run than trying to repair it now.

Well he did say it held compression, but maybe it didn't get cooked very much, just a little. However it got to where it is, it's clearly junk now.

>I haven't even driven 6k with this car yet.

Bruh, that ain't shit. I once bought a 5 year old car with 90k miles on it, a Toyota at that, and made it all of 5k miles before the throw out bearing shit the bed. Replaced it, made it 3k miles on the new one before it started making noise again. Turns out the trans was fucked and ate bearings. Traded it in, all said and done with the maintenance I had done on it, repairs, what I paid for it and what I got for it when I traded it in, I ended up spending right around $8k to own a car for two years and drive it 8,000 miles.

On the plus side though, getting rid of that car got me out of a soulless, fun-hating ultimate econobox, and into a car that is at least somewhat sporty and doesn't make me hate life every time I drive to work.

As to your engine, it looks fine to me. Just run 10w40 or thicker oil and sell it to the next chump before it blows.

I was already running 10w40.
Glad you're able to enjoy your new car, I also really like driving around with mine. 125 HP may not be the world, but it can be pretty fun nonetheless.

Ive been working on cars for many years and Ive seen this quite a few times. I usually just pour a can of compression restore in with the oil and let it do its thing. It works every time.

just run axle grease m8. that will fix it.