/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09/26/dolphin-emulator-and-opengl-drivers-hall-fameshame/
youtube.com/watch?v=x_VzPpFHbCw
amazon.com/Bluetooth-PCI-Express-Half-Size-Atheros-chipset/dp/B012JQVUX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493522468&sr=8-1&keywords=atheros ar5bwb222
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dolphin devs once posted about how awful the drivers of mobile GPUs are, Nvidia ones are the best and they were just decent, Qualcomm ones are really bad, and how this was a major problem for any emulator on mobiles, how they'd get errors that would come from the problems of android + awful driver support that emu devs can't really do shit about.

Would that mean once the Switch is cracked, it would become easily the best portable emulation device? Since the other mobile stuff you use have those drivers/android issues with them;

Underpowered underclocked Tegra X1, don't expect miracles.

Don't expect some miracle API to make up for a huge divide in power. Game consoles will never be better than PCs for emulation , ever, no matter what pixie dust API is available for it.

yeah I'm talking best portable device to emulate, not best all around

this is the article I'm talking about dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09/26/dolphin-emulator-and-opengl-drivers-hall-fameshame/

How will you celebrate the second anniversary?

by using standalone like any reasonable person

How exactly do I perform the MGS1 Psycho Mantis controller swap in Retroarch (using mednafen/beetle)? I have all slots disabled except the first when I go in. I have that set to Dualshock so I can use analog sticks. Then, I open RA menu, disable slot 1 and enable dualshock in slot 2. It isn't working.

is slot 2 mapped properly?

never played but know about the gimmick, isn't it possible to do it without switching

does anyone have an idea why "Mednafen Beetle HW" isn't working for me?
With opengl, the game seems to run normally (there's sound, I can press buttons), except the screen is black. If I go to change anything in options or change window size, pic related happens.

DirectX works, but the whole reason I'm doing this is I wanna play PS1 games without the wavy textures, and I need opengl for that.

And yeah, my rig has opengl 3.3 and above support

I think the OGL backend has become unmaintained and broken. Try Vulkan.

>Would that mean once the Switch is cracked, it would become easily the best portable emulation device?
Probably not. By the time it's cracked there will probably be some high end tablet with a better Nvidia GPU in it.

but then nvidia seems like they're done with their tablet shit, they didn't even make another Shield portable with a stronger SoC

Tegra X2 is coming.

Well they're still making new Tegra GPUs so a company other than Nvidia could still end up putting them into their tablets. Wouldn't surprise me if EVGA did it since they do crazy shit like shove quad core i7s and 1080s into thin laptops.

I'm setting up a new desktop and wanted to finally use bluetooth for my controllers since I've got more room (having always just used wired before). I'm using ScpServer and it's recognizing my device and is paired successfully and works fine as long as it's plugged in, but if I unplug it and try to use bluetooth Pad 1 goes to reserved and all lights on my controller turn off.

I followed the instructions in youtube.com/watch?v=x_VzPpFHbCw

Do I have to use an actual usb dongle or can I just use the bluetooth in my network card? I've just been trying to use my network card bluetooth since I never use bluetooth for anything else anyway.

>Do I have to use an actual usb dongle or can I just use the bluetooth in my network card?
You can use your network card bluetooth assuming you actually have one capable of that.

what do the advanced people here think of LaunchBox?

I'm using an Atheros ar5bwb222 so if I'm not mistaken, it can.

amazon.com/Bluetooth-PCI-Express-Half-Size-Atheros-chipset/dp/B012JQVUX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493522468&sr=8-1&keywords=atheros ar5bwb222

Tegra X2 is a SoC used in cars. Its architecture improvements will probably benefit something mobile in the future, but probably not as-is.

>Tegra X2 is a SoC used in cars.
And in other applications. The TX1 was also used for automotive applications.

I wouldn't want a car that drives itself, that shit sounds dangerous.

It'd be safer than your mom, and this has literally nothing to do with what current-gen onboard computers do.

When will 360 emulators be a thing? I wanna play Halo 3. I haven't played it since I was a little kid.

sure thing nvidia ching chong guy

They're a thing. You can't play complicated games though. I think you can fuck around in the menus for Halo and that's it.

Has Trump figured how to emulate a competent president yet?

Why would he need to emulate one when he is one???

He got stuck on one feature like everyone does in their emulation lifetime, tweaking the shaders on the golf course for the finest recreation of real other golf courses possible.

Heathcare reform says otherwise. greatdealmaker.exe crashed.

What exactly is so complicated about Retroarch? Am I missing something because it took like 10 minutes to download cores and setup the controller

It's because it isn't complicated.

It's pretty comfy. Worth picking up when it goes on sale.

t. shill

If you start tweaking shit, especially shaders, things CAN get a bit complicated, but it's basically as complicated as you make it even then. There are many clear preset-and-go options among shader lists.

Only thing that bugs me in the complexity is hotswapping media on certain systems, which it requires you set up playlists for manually.

It should just be an option to load a selected file without rebooting the system - a simple file selection wherein it automatically inserts 3 seconds of no-media running of the core in case the game demands there be an empty state between discs. Bam, smooth simple transition that is used exactly how an end-user would expect it to be.

>mfw pcsx2

>message

Don't be silly, nobody contacts you.

Never ever.

They'll just blame the Democrats.

FYI, the "reform" they proposed was fucking horrible for anyone not already so rich healthcare was a non-issue.

What's the best way to hook my ps3 controller up if I have no bluetooth?

poor people don't deserve healthcare

Neither do you.

Please help instead of arguing about Drumpf

>Drumpf
I never understood this childish insult. His family many hundreds of years ago changed the spelling of their name, it was a common thing to do.

Not hundreds, user. Not even close. And I think I get the irony of the insult.

Ok. I have motioninjoy installed and the controller is working on the tests, but on lilypad it shows Dualshock 3 Native mode (requires libusb) greyed out. Have you had success in dealing with this? I have no bluetooth connectivity, will I need that?

>want to start working with ps3 emulation so I can finally give back to the emulation community that I've cherished for the past 10 years
>even though I have endless free time and a decent amount of freelance programming experience, I have literally no idea where to start learning how the system works
This is fucking voodoo magic, anybody have any good documentation (not overly simplified) for people who are completely new to the scene? or is everyone in this gen just a player and don't care about development

Contributing to an emulator without previous knowledge is literally impossible.

People ask this question every now and then in r/emulation, so look for threads about it there. There's also r/emudev with some advice on this.

If you've never done any emulation work before, I'd advise starting out with writing something like a NES or GB emulator first. It doesn't have to be particularly good or accurate, but just getting anything up and running will already be one heck of a learning experience. Those are also thoroughly documented systems so you'll have a much easier time finding info.

That said, not everything from that applies to an emulator to a modern system like RPCS3, so you'll still get a bit of shock from the paradigm shift of emulating things in terms of hardware and cycles to emulating bits of hardware but also a lot of software HLE. Harder to practice that though, all those systems are pretty much inherently complex.

Forgot to mention: In any case, hanging around the dev chatroom (IRC or w/e. I think RPCS3 mostly use Discord nowadays) is a great idea. Just reading the day-to-day discussion will give you an idea about what are the problems. Hopefully the devs won't have a problem if you ask relevant questions. Usually there's some kind of janitorial work that requires less domain knowledge to help you get started with the codebase.

Is there an android emulator for 3DS homebrew?
I figured because PCSX runs like shit on it that maybe the Android port of FF7 might be able to run, but I can't find any information that it might exist, because when I search 3DS android emulator I get bullshit videos about 3DS emulators on android.

Sounds less likely than a PSP emulator on the 3DS

why don't people work harder on 3ds homebrew emulators, it's the perfect system to play everything on the go and has the potential to play ps1, psp, n64, and all previous nintendo handheld games, there's no reason it shouldn't be completely broken down and made able to install android on to it

Have you considered the 3DS has probably the shittiest hardware you can find these days on a portable thing in the market? There's chinese android trash all over the place that takes a dump on that hardware.

The only thing you can hope for is better PS1 emulation and that's about it. Or buy a fucking PSP for 40 dollars.

What romset does MAME Wii use? None of the CPS2 games I've tried work on it, got them from the 0.151 page on archive

>When will 360 emulators be a thing?
Whenever you type "Xenia" in Youtube.

>it's the perfect system to play everything on the go
That's not the GPD XD nor the GPD Win, silly.

Been playing the Japanese version of Megaman Battle Network 6 on the mednafen and it runs so silky smooth, nothing like the other emulators for GBA that I have run across.

I am having trouble figuring out how to add cheats though, everything seems so foreign as I have no real experience in actually using computers.

tl;dr How would I go about adding a giant cheat code on mednafen?

In Gambatte, how do you make "sync framerate to refresh rate" available? It's greyed out.

Dumb hydeposter

I want to emulate gaems on my iPhone 7 pls send help

ZSNES is the emulator I have the fondest memories of. No matter how many accurate emulators come after it, it shall remain my number one forever.

The only real frustration I've had with retroarch has been configuring my steam controller to work properly with it mostly because you're configuring it through three different layers. One through steam, one through retroarch itself and one with whatever core you're using. It can get extremely frustrating when a button doesn't seem to want to do what it's clearly programmed to do because somewhere in that line something isn't clicking. It works pretty good if you just go with the community setup from steam and don't fuck with anything in retroarch other than doing the bind all setup but even then it's given me a bit of grief. For example I can't seem to get the Z button on Mupen64 to register to my right trigger rather than my left even though I've clearly set it as that in all my settings. As to getting games to work though it's been a champ. It's played every 64 game I've thrown at it perfectly which from what I hear is pretty much a fucking miracle.

>Nobody has even tried to run Okami HD on RPCS3
That's pretty surprising, nobody around here with an install already set up could give that a quick look?

t. entitled faggot

Like the other user said, start small and work your way up. Or consider contributing donations or hardware if you want to support a project.

17:17 so I will start playing the Dark Souls games now starting with Demon's Souls first
17:17 then working through Dark Souls 1/2
17:19 < ScHlAuChi> yep and then DS3
17:19 < ScHlAuChi> and then the best game - Bloodborne!
17:20 yeah hopefully we are two months in then before I have finished DeSo/DS1/DS2

Since you were a little kid, huh?

>iPhone

You chose poorly.

sheit
I downloaded PCSX2 just now to play Black on it cause that shooter is amazing but the ps2 controller hurts my hands now

bump

Will version 1.6 finally redeem PCSX2? Or will it continue to be a flaming bag of dog shit?

You'd have to die in the fight at least once in order to do it without the trick.

Try CEMU
Compiling 9000 shaders
Most likely 3 or 4 revisions away from "playable" states, unless the devs stop at their high end i7 for requirements.

>he fell for the shader cache meme
If you're using nvidia and have less than 32gb of ram it's better to just not use one

And the game already runs at close to full speed on my i5 4690k with gpu accuracy set to low and gpu fencing off

What makes the PS3 emu devs so sure that they can have games run faster than the native console? I understand IR upscaling but fps always needed a hack or OC of the console

Anyone know what would cause Wii U USB Helper to unpack nothing, and generate empty folders?
It was working earlier today.

Haven't seen it go over 18fps outside of menues of FVM yet.
Then again, it doesn't have stutter or FPS fluctuation, so its almost playable despite the artificial input lag low fps generated.

What CPU?

The cursed beast that is FX8350.
Its cursed indeed.

What the fuck were you expecting to get on that?
You're lucky the framerate even goes that high

I didn't expect anything, just curiosity.
And seeing that its 65%ish performance, its a optimization issue.

>And seeing that its 65%ish performance, its a optimization issue.

Come again?

so what?

Trying to swap to disc 2 in MGS in Retroarch. I cycle out the disc image, so I get the "insert disc 2 and then press start" prompt. However, when I hit "append disc image" and select my second .cue file, RA makes my choose a core again and the whole thing restarts. What am I doing wrong here?

There is a swap disc option, hidden deep in one of the quick menues.

So when i try to emulate zelda i get to the point where it says wake up or whatever it was and the screen turns yellow and then it gets stuck there. Any ideas?

are you using the latest version of the emulator and game?

Hey.

Atleast it's better than a A4-4000.

Yes latest cemu version. Game i downloaded and then updated via mapple seed. I have the game in the loadline format.

hm turns out there was a new cemu version. Gonna try that one out

A Phenom 4 with shrinking + one of the modern intel instruction sets would be a lot faster
>mfw
Also still need to look at the Bulldozer benchmarks or something, so i can cry more

>mfw rpcs3 progress, even on Linux
I love those guys. It's criminal how they have only a fraction of support compared to shit like cemu.

>more than $40k per month
What in the actual fuck.

any saturn emulator that supports .7z

People really like Zelda.

This might not be the right place to ask, but are there any good Dualshock 4 phone clamps that accommodate for bulky cases?

I'm going away soon and was hoping to use my phone as an emulation station but all the holders I'm seeing are made for thin cases, and I can't really take mine off because it's made to fit my replacement battery. I could probably Macguyver something if I really had to but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.

Does Demons' Souls run at constant full speed yet?

it has actually gone down
it was at 42k at one point

I did it, reddit!

Port the arcade emulation while you're at it