How to buy a car

I'm new with cars. Educate me pls.

Situation:
- 20 Years old workaholic
- Former carpenter went to school for this as well (and was pretty good at it at the site but too dangerous)
- Now an interior designer (still finishing up on school)
- 20-25k saved up (can make more pretty quickly and I dont pay for rent)
- Family plans to open a renovating business in the near future

Specifics I need from most important to least
- Performance (something good for transporting materials to the site)
- Looks (for meeting clients as an interior designer or contract clients. Nothing fancy but I need something professional looking at least).
- Gas (I prefer not spending a LOT of money on gas)

(I find hummers/wranglers/mercedes-jeep) looks. But if you have better recommendations, im pretty open.

So what do you guys think? What do you recommend? Generally what do you guys think is best?

Other urls found in this thread:

media.giphy.com/media/3oKIPlh1V6jl5BqpFe/giphy.gif
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh and I also dont mind buying used cars (thats expected with the amount of cash as of this moment xD but lets say Ill budget around 20-35 Max. I don't need all the whistles in the cars.. Really just Performance and decent aesthetics

Excuse me if I sound cringey

Performance - yes it has some
Looks - yes the US army is a professional military
Gas - it's diesel, so uses none

You need a work truck, sounds like. Or a tradesman van, depending on what part of the world you live in.

For doing the initial client sale, you might consider leasing a German badge car. And for the back end fulfillment, own a beater work truck. I can't see one vehicle that would do both.

Honestly I do also find military vehicles incredibly beautiful. So actually.... Good try ^

Sounds like a pretty good idea. But... I don't have enough cash for two cars sadly.. I don't like bumming off money from the parents. I've never asked for money my whole life.

I reside from Canada

The beater work truck will cost you $5k. The lease on the badge car would be another $5-6k. And you do both through your business that you'll be setting up, so you can write both off on your taxes.

And seriously consider leasing a Lexus too instead of German badge status. One status badge car is about the same as any other as far as impressing clients go. Might as well get your money's worth, IMHO.

If you don't mind me asking, what does it mean to lease; and if you have time, can you give me an example of how it works? I'm legitimately a very very new person to cars

A lease is a long term rental, like you do with office space or an apartment that isn't full of melanin enriched. You pay for x years of use and pay off as you go, but have to buy out of the lease if you want to return it before that point.

From your point of view you sign a rental contract that has some restrictions on what you can do with the car - you can't put too many miles on it and you can't take it too far away from what you live and you pay $x/mo to use the car for a set period of time, usually 2-3 years, sometimes as long as 5 years. The total cost of the lease is the $x/mo for how many ever months you lease it for.

For a business use, it does have some nice features - you don't have to tie up a large chunk of cash up front and if you're going to be bringing in money right away from increased sales, the whole arrangement can pay for itself immediately.

Leasing means making monthly payments for a car you return to the dealer at the end of the lease period. You have an option to buy the car at the end, but it's generally cheaper to buy the car upfront if you intend to keep it. There are often requirements as well, such as staying below a set amount of mileage. Leasing is a poor financial decision for most people, you're essentially renting the car.

Also, if you're not aware, you can claim a tax deduction for a business vehicle when you file.

Ah. Thanks for the lessons everyone!
I think if I really needed something fancy, I can just borrow my family's porsche to meet up with clients. (idk what model it is but its two seater and is pretty fast xD all i can say about it).

But I guess its mainly a discussion for a work car now or for a "Work and Aesthetics" car (if you guys have any ideas on that).

> I can just borrow my family's porsche to meet up with clients
Ah, now you're thinking smart! Then the only real capital outlay is in the work truck itself. And for a work truck you don't need anything fancy, any used pickup truck that isn't too crusty underneath will do.

Black Ford f150 has been statistically shown to make you more attractive to women. Other colors hide dirt and make a better impression. For status, you want something that says you're successful but not prohibitively expensive and out of reach. Silver is usually a good choice whatever it is. An accord with leather seats goes a long way.

Oh, and late model is better and bigger is always more inspiring but you can't always be that picky and there is such a thing as too big.

Sauce for that F150 claim? =)

Hahaha thanks! I guess, when buying 2nd hand, how old should I get maximum? 5 years old model max? 10 perhaps?

F150 DOES look pretty. but I'm a 130lbs-5'6 male. I do not think I would look good in a gigantic truck xD. But I guess performance before aesthetics right?

dis?

Dress nice and it works. Dress down and it works. Single cab says you're single. The study was on getting panties wet but I can extrapolate based on other studies.

Look at what you need to do the job and what you'd want some asshole rolling up to your parents' house to be driving. A smaller truck or SUV will work fine, it's all about what is functional and inspires confidence without looking like a tool. A white or silver Tacoma is just as good. When I hear interior design, I think hauling Mexicans to do the grunt work, but if it's just you then you don't need the f150, just some nice slacks for the consultation and a gym teacher sport polo and dark jeans for working the saw.

I don't think trying to cram all the materials for interior construction into your vehicle and then constantly having to clean it out for meetings is a good idea. It'll get banged up and stuff, and one day you spill something in the back and half the interior will be ruined. Personally I'd favor the approach of something more car-like and an enclosed utility trailer. With an inbetween vehicle between car and SUV you can still at least attempt to do your business without a trailer, and then still add a trailer later on if needed. The Saab 9-7X for example stands out positively to me. Looks mature and tasteful, but underneath it's all affordable, easy to fix Chevy technology. Plus you can probably even find decent examples for a very economical price. Volvos might also be worth looking at. If you do consider a trailer now or later on, make sure to watch out for the tow capacity on potential cars, it's an absolutely lackluster deal in North America. Some cars can tow 2,000 or 3,000 lbs, other cars aren't rated for towing at all.

I almost got the aero version with the 6.2L engine for 16k USD. Fucking dealer sold it before i could put a deposit on it

>Now an interior designer
Fuck you. Fucking parasite.

sarry love

useless jobs like interior design exist because the idiotic masses created a market for it. blame society, not its beneficiaries.

I only picked it because I was bored with my money and wanted to study. I also wanted to do renovations in the future. I'm pretty interested in design so I chose something close-ish to renos and design. All the loves

You can roast all you want.. I'm doing what I love, hence why I am a workaholic and pretty much getting paid for my hobbies

Should have picked up a business minor as well considering you don't know what a lease is.

i'm not roasting you. interior design produces nothing and is a pointless expense on the part of the consumer. you're paid to feng shui. there's nothing wrong with making a living by taking money from stupid people who don't know what to do with it.

That is completely unrelated (or less) to what I'd like to do though for an occupation. But if it were... SIGN ME UP

Actually. INTDers work hand in hand (most of the time) with Architects (mainly in firms). Interior designers DESIGN the interiors individually or with the architects.

Usually we got Architects studying interior design as well as a side diploma or at least a certificate. (1/4 of my class are Bachelor Architects)

Now in your defense, I do not understand interior designers that get a masters (thats retarded). Bachelor INTD is already way too much.

You don't understand how deep design goes. It gets really heady from what I understand from industrial designing friends. More philosophy and art and ergonomics and trying to apply it around structural constraints than anything else. It's interesting shit. Takes you to a higher level without having to blunder through it yourself.

Exactly. Architects and Engineers are not the only people involved on the structural integrity of the property. Architects and Interior Designers create the spacial plan and/or organization at least to workable degree for the engineers to create a structurally sane building. The next part is to further the design. You don't just create a building structurally sane and call it a day. It also has to work with the people using it. Its like having a column in the middle of the kitchen, disabling the person to cook.

But that is true, safety and structural integrity comes first. But we need a design that WORKS for the people using it. not just pretty colors, soft rugs and fancy furniture. As interior designers we still take part on building materials (also structural materials but usually hands off to the architects but we still have knowledge).

You might be mistaking us to interior decorators from designers

Niko, my cousin! I can't believe it you're here! Welcome to America!

Heh

You might as well buy a structurally sane box home that barely works for your needs versus a home that is structurally sane AND works for you. A GOOD design in homes mainly prioritizes structural integrity, and safety. THEN functionality where we designers mainly come in.

But its true we can also decorate pretty well. You could say that is a good 15% of our scope of work.

I do not know this person my name is not Niko in reality. Sorry.

So buy a surplus/de-com G-wagen. We've got loads.

Talking about bad designs reminded me of this

media.giphy.com/media/3oKIPlh1V6jl5BqpFe/giphy.gif

surplus/de-com? wat hahah

Did you read the book about doors? It's some good shit.

Oh God you type like my friend and he's retarded.

> Did you read the book about doors? It's some good shit.

Actually I have done a couple of millwork on doors. Though cabinets are more enjoyable

>Oh God you type like my friend and he's retarded.

Takes one to know one.

> You don't understand how deep design goes.

Well I guess IF I really do not know how DEEP design works (compared from a person that has second hand knowledge from a conversation with friends *just assuming here I do not mean to be rude*)... If i really do not know... I would at least know my scope of work, and I'll tell you its not matching colours and picking pretty fabrics as to the general assumptions to what interior design is.

Goodnight 3am here good talk

Not millwork, ergonomics. It's by the guy who standardized how door handles should look and which way they should open and goes into a lot of other stuff. I'm in the middle of a good drunk but I can find it if you're interested and can't harness the raw power of google. Not even remotely related to my field and I learned some things.

I'm a statistician and toyed with industrial design and IO psychology in undergrad, so there's a lot of overlap with interior design. The masters level is like having an MFA plus an engineering degree. Some of it is too heady and fart sniffing for me but man/machine interfacing and good ergonomic design is something I'm familiar with. I love good design and appreciate the higher level aesthetic applications of it. It's like a good 60s interior or a 20s engine in a car.

For that particular door... wouldn't it have been a smarter idea (or a better design) to NOT put the pole in the middle of two doors?

Imagine how much easily you could roll big carts or carry furniture with a big space from the double doors INSTEAD of two doors with a pole in between. Also, the pole may also be a hazard to the public as MOST double doors do not have a structure in between (and especially not non-noticeable ones). If the double doors DID need the pole in between as a part of its design, they should have picked a double door that does not require a pole in between.

if the pole was for structural purposes, either a stronger building material around the main door or at the door frame should have been used to transfer the weight of the building.

I am not saying the design was wrong, i am saying there are better ways to "Design" these things

If you enjoy design (just as I do), take a second look at interior design :)

I admit it looks like it is picking the nice colours, good fabrics, and etc from the surface. But it really does go way beyond that.. The only point i wanted across was, interior design is not what you assumed it to be. Though even if you still hate it after looking into it more, I am not here to shit on you for that. But at the very least take a second look in depth into interior design. NOT interior decorating.

Some faggot cheaped out on that shit. That's half the problems with good design. Some kike doesn't want to spend 50 bucks on one door or 6 bucks per door on a thousand and everything is ruined because of it. Look at cars.

I'm good at 90k a year and sitting on my ass. It's always a possibility though.

My design friends beat off to the Eams, you don't have to tell me. They're some weird combo of engineers and artists, more on the artist side because acid and autism don't mix but fuck if they can't make pretty shit to specification and under cost.

>Some faggot cheaped out on that shit. That's half the problems with good design. Some kike doesn't want to spend 50 bucks on one door or 6 bucks per door on a thousand and everything is ruined because of it. Look at cars.

Sad truth^

>My design friends beat off to the Eams, you don't have to tell me. They're some weird combo of engineers and artists, more on the artist side because acid and autism don't mix but fuck if they can't make pretty shit to specification and under cost.

^ no comment hahaha

Anyways have a goodnight now. I gotta go sleep. Gotta wake up for the morning tour tomorrow. Good talk. Pretty enjoyable.

Excuse the formalities