/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

Urist cancles make new thread: Finding socks
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/ljG6f7W.png
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=1.0
dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html#autolabor
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for modanon, still working on making dinosaurs, place your requests on me no matter how silly.

I have everyone's requests from last thread saved, dont worry about posting them here again.

>waited until old thread was at page 10
>picked a relatively rare OP pic

Still waiting for toady to introduce artificial limbs into the game. People really don't understand the advantage of wooden feet

>playing Masterwork (yeah, yeah, I know), 34.11
>Warlock Fortress
>staffed by skeletons, because they can be constructed and easily revived, and ghouls tantrum too much
>training skeleton archer squad
>one strays too far from a control pylon and briefly turns opposed to life
>which is normally fine, because everyone is undead/opposed to life anyway and they usually change back in seconds
>skellie somehow aggros everyone
>the 'traitor' and the rest of the archers start beating at each other with their bone bows
>against their bone-hard bodies, it's as effective as foam swords
>skeletons don't tire or hunger or thirst, so they just keep going
>they fight for months before job cancellation forces me to send in the Overlord to kill the 'traitor'
>six out of eleven archers have gone from Dabbling/Novice Hammermen to Legendary Hammermen and decent defensive skills
>the 'traitor' is also a Legendary Armor User when revived
>this is all with 'Harder Learning' balance option on
>slap them all into a sledgehammer-wielding squad
>everything worked out better than expected

Having problem with murderous ghosts and your fiancee rising from the grave to get revenge on you?

Why not try these lanterns, one hundred percent microline made for that extra dwarven fanciness

These lanterns will drive away even the most persistent ghost and undead,
They just require a small dose of extremely rare mystery oil to function.
but for a modest price or subscription we can fix you right up.

>lanterns might explode and magic might backfire

Why not just have dwarves that can use personas?

You really want these lanterns

>relatively rare
i would've had rarer and lewder OP picks if my old shitbox didn't die on me just a few weeks before my new computer arrived

>giving dwarves any kind of supernatural power at all and expecting them to use it responsibly

Can you not normally make platinum weapons?
I spawned in a place without good metals, all I have is a fair bit of platinum and I've heard it's the best for blunt weapons.

the magic arc will be beyond completely fucked up

Anyone read any stories about Armok 1? Do it.
There was a magic where you could simply teleport your heart outside your body and die instantly.

That's what will happen after the magic arc and especially with artifacts. Some dwarf will have a strange mood, build an artifact with magical powers, and then all sorts of crazy shit will come loose when the artifact starts to enact its 1-or-more magical traits.

Woo, a lil gorlak showed up and wants to join me, hopefully he petitions soon

>and die instantly.
oh, and from the screenshot of the myth/magic generator, it will be possible to do this simply by holding a special stone (or nothing at all) and then merely *thinking* about it happening. not even a gesture or hand motion.
just an at-will ability of thought and
> your heart is outside your body now

it will be utterly insane.

I lewv u

>wooden feet
>on wooden ground

TACTACTACTACTACTACTACTAC

paralellaly
>fire

joke weapons like rubber chickens and water spraying flowers that use comedy as a weapon skill

I can't believe I'll see this happening

This reality has some redeeming features atleast

Gorlaks are literally the cutest creatures in DF. Prove me wrong

Gorlaks are cute, CUTE!

can you make a mod where minotaurs are replaced with toad men? and also instead of saying "I'll grind your bones for my bone meal", "I'll eat you whole", "turn you into porridge", etc, they just say "It's been a pretty slow month", "here are this month's future of the fortress reply and the report", and of course "he he he"

kek

make potato seeds sometime give 'rare potatoes'
this rare potatoes if brewed give green vodka
drink it and you have 33% chance becoming a zombie, 33% nothing, 33% brutal temporal strength buff
if you are a zombie, you can become human again drinking the alcohol too

They really are. They're basically shaped like the monster 'Mike' from Monsters Inc.

>Can you not normally make platinum weapons?
No, not without modifying the material raw files
>I spawned in a place without good metals, all I have is a fair bit of platinum and I've heard it's the best for blunt weapons.
Even shitty copper is better than nothing if you have it.
Platinum can still be crafted and traded for goods and metals from traders, just be careful to not trade too much too soon or else you'll reach the seige trigger for exported wealth.

where can one find such stories?

>Play adventure craft
>Somehow tons of civilization crumble before year 150, leaving animalmen towns behind

Is it because of the new creatures added or something else?

that's a cap I made based on a anouncement Toady made on the FoF threads in the bay12 forums

fof stands for future of the fortress btw

This poor architect guy was under a great deal of stress, so along with the tantruming herbalist and a few other friends, I've put them into a new squad and they're all training together. While they are both still haggard, they're finally starting to take a more positive outlook on life again, and have stopped being depressed for now. I'm so relieved they've stopped being so down, and are back on track again to being happy :D

reminds me of the xenoarch artifacts in space station 13.

How about something easy like short bow's for dwarfs since they can't seem to make em in vanilla ;_; along with arrows

Solid Snake. Runs into a fortress you won't be told until he's detected, like a gremlin. Steals like a kea and is unparalleled in CQC.

It's surprising what it takes to break dwarves now. I've had a vampire locked off in a room for over a year now, and was locked up for six months for murder before that. I'm guessing you can't have tantrums when you're chained up but he hasn't gone mad yet.

Make sure they have great ambusher and can open doors.

What do I even do now? I have a successful fort running and there doesn't seem to be anything else for me to do.

Fresh OC coming through.

Have you dug down to the caverns, or discovered magma?

Have you established good trading with your civ's trade caravans, so that they might promote your fort's status?

Have you faced any large sieges yet? This is generally triggered by having a large-ish population and accumulated fortress wealth. Also, those are some thin defenses, it would be an awful shame if something happened to them.

What tileset is that?

something will come from underground,goblins will occasionally show up & "visit" your fortress or if at peacetime maybe think about opening up a library?

Pheobus. I might switch back to Spacefox but I like the character sprites on Pheobus

what do libraries do?

satisfy needs.

Lets your dwarves read books, and you can assign scholars and scribes to write/copy books on various subjects.

I mean the stories from armok 1 buddy

Like...dirty magazines and pickaxe catalogs

>successful

The fuck is a werelk, is it like Grendel from Beowulf?

>the fuck is a werelk
Did you try reading the description in your screenshot?

>implying there's any difference between them

So its a humanoid. How do I stop it?

kill it

>Not wanting that hot slick steel pickaxe with a mahogany handle, illustrated in all its glory breaking some stone

I just ignored the problem. I hope it left

Good luck with that. Unless your fort is locked down, werecreatures will try to get in and murder anything that moves.

One guy was found dead and nothing has happened since. I think he left

Well fuck, my game is still crashing. Made it all the way to the 6th month and it froze again. Running it in 2d now, can't figure out what's causing it.

Is 43.05 itself really that unstable? I keep seeing all these crash reports, but I haven't had much issue with vanilla 43.05 or most mods that don't use DFHack (Dark Ages II breaks for me a lot).

The only thing I can think of is DFHack being unstable, I don't think there's been a stable version since before 43.xx.

I'm running 43.03, haven't updated because I don't want my weapon traps to screw up my game, plus I've got 90 upright spear traps filled with spikes and I don't want to take them out if they break too.

I haven't got any invaders for over a year even though I'm just downriver from a goblin civ and had two sieges and two werecreatures before. I think it's a siege spawn causing it but the error log shows nothing, probably because it's freezing instead of crashing with an error message.

A little update on dinosaur mod, raptors seem to be working perfectly fine apart from one problem...
i.imgur.com/ljG6f7W.png
The only way i can stop them from strangling things nonstop would be by removing their arms.

Sounds like a really great idea but i'd probably have to mod in a new material for the joke weapons to make sense. Wood/Steel rubber chickens or foam swords dont really sound all that sensical.

I feel like this is a refrence to something...
will make this though.

Not sure if this is possible, i'll try messing around with raws and see if i can make something like this happen.

Havent heard of the mod myself but i suspect from personal expereience that some overpowered megabeast or civilization is going around destroying everything they dont like.

SHORTbows for dwarves you say?
will do!

An actual snake like in the gif or the character?

replace talking gobbo with a demon and its 100% accurate

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=1.0

there are also a few other stories about the first game on other forums, but the majority of content is probably there.

The minotaur lines are all fully moddable, as seen in this pic. (where the txt is in the speech folder)

60th post for fuck it's rainy as shit outside.

Why would your dwarves be outside?

I am fully aware of this, im a pretty experienced modder.
Speaking of speech and lines, what kind of noises would different dinos make or should i just go the lazy way and copypaste ''X lets out a loud roar/screetch'' into each of them?

Its been snowing for days here, not sure which is worse. I should totally add custom weather to the game like sandstorms or something for the ''good'' regions at some point but i got a lot of work already as it is.

Not the guy who requested dinos, but the only other noise I can think of is maaaybe a loud bleating/honking sound for duckbills and the like if you're adding them in, but that's about it.

How am I supposed to keep track of and assign jobs to every single person? Is there a way to automate it all?

>automate it all
dfhack auto-labor

What does that do exactly? I want to assign them all jobs according to their skills.

If you already have Dwarf Therapist, it's pretty simple. You can organize that list by labors/migrant wave/skill levels/etc, see who isn't assigned stuff, and assign multiple labors in one go. Just learn to use it, and that's most of your worries solved right there.

dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html#autolabor

Can anyone identify pic related for me? I'm unsure if it's from a normal or modded game.

I dont have the slightest clue tbqh senpai

my guess is an ettin.

I have no idea which graphic set it uses, though.

speaking of 43,is 43.05 bugged my merchants are stealing my rooms meant for the tavern guest

>that busty musician

hnnnng

elkposter would be ashamed

The only thing I know is that brontosaurus should make a retarded noise like a gutural ''agoorigoooooooooooo'' or something like that

>elf

>that tall-but-still-very-dwarven waitress
Sideburns are cuter desu

didn't mean to link

Is that a slav-squatter or a chav-squatter?

>The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry

It's not raining in game, or even outside my house...

It's raining in here...

*points at my heart*

Is this what happens when you let world history run overnight?

Why don't you try point at THIS

*unzips dick*

How did you unzip your dick

so are the obsidian swords any good

I don't seem to have any metal or anyone to trade with.

If you don't already know, then I'm afraid I can't teach you.

Obsidian swords are last resort weapons, pretty much meant for situations like yours.

You should have a caravan from your home civ no matter where you embarked, unless it's been totally wiped out (and you should know that since you won't have any migrant waves but the first two hardcoded waves).

against unarmored opponents like animals, yes probably
against armor it's basically sharp stone vs metal, which is a "fuck no"

yeah, i expect i can get some from them. eventually.

This is my first forgotten beast, does it sound tough? Or is this going to be one of those easy ones?

Okay where the fuck is the shopkeeper I have a shit ton of albatross meat and no one in the home town seems to be a shop keeper or know a shop keeper.

Christ I am getting a hang of things but still have no idea whats going on. Who makes pens for hens? I dont see it in the carpenter task list

Nestboxes are the "pens" you speak of.

Sounds easy since its just a worm but youll have to observe and see.

>webs

Prepare your anus.

My military is pretty ragtag because of lack of metal though.
It's deep, deep underground though. How can I seal off my very long stairwell?

If you're looking for something for hens to lay eggs in, it's nestboxes.

If you're trying to make the hens sit their asses in one location and not move around, you'll need a pasture (make a zone with 'i', designate it as a pen/pasture with 'n', and then press 'N' to assign animals to it)