Audi A6 Timing belt

I have an interesting project. Just got a 2002 Audi A6 Quattro from a guy for free. Dealer's mechanic diagnosed it as having broken timing belt, bent valves and a repair bill more than the value of the car. So my friend says, "user, want it? It's going to the scrap yard otherwise."

So I ran down and look. Timing belt looks OK. Tight, teeth not chewed up, some rubber shavings, but not bad for 100K miles. I towed the car home and got the title. The symptom of it's demise was overheat, at which point my friend pulled it over and stopped to let it cool down. Then engine would not turn over. I suspect that the water pump may have seized and, once shut off, the starter is incapable of turning the car over. I need to check the timing to see if the belt has jumped or not. If not, I will risk replacing belt, water pump and misc tensioners and pulleys and then starting it up. If it has jumped, I'll pull the heads and look at the valves.

So far, Googling has shown the use of camshaft locking tools (pic related) to actually do the replacement. But my questions is: Are there any timing marks on the cam and crank pulleys that one can use for a diagnosis before digging further into the engine? Other engines I've worked on have crank TDC and crank pulley index marks one can use. But Google is mute on the subject.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uILhKQ1GTTY
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5273848
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

might help if you told us what kind of fucking engine it has.

Sorry about that. It's a 3.0L V6 type AVK.

Bump for interest

Sweet job at acquiring a free ride.

Don't do it. Don't spend a single dollar on that car.

Deregister it as soon as you take ownership, then part it out immediately.

It's an Audi, you're going to hate every second of fixing it because the second you fix 1 thing, you'll break 3 others.

Here's what happens when an engine overheats, if you shut it off and let it sit, it heat soaks.

As in, it continues to get hotter. Starters churn out more torque than you think, a siezed pump wouldn't stop it, the belt would just slip.

>Here's what happens when an engine overheats, if you shut it off and let it sit, it heat soaks.
What should you do if your engine starts to overheat? I figured you should turn it off as soon as you can to stop blowing a head gasket / warping the head etc

Are you the same guy who keeps bashing audis and saying stuff like replacing valve cover gaskets requires front end removal? You need to stop.

OP, first of all find out what caused the engine to seize. Don't buy parts until you know what exactly is broken

Good luck finding documentation on German cars. Probably will need someone will dealer level access.

Ls swap, enjoy

Rutracker has all the "dealer level" software readily available. No witchcraft involved.

I wish people could stop pretending German cars are some mysterious force of nature that you stand no hope of conquering without ritual sacrifice and lots of cash.
In fact, I struggle to find the same detailed information for older American cars that I can get easily for BMW, Mercedes and VAG vehicles.

OP, does the engine crank?
If not, does the starter engage/try to turn?

Try to turn the engine a little and make sure it isn't a siezed piston. Otherwise your diagnosis and plan seem reasonable. Don't know about marks on the cam or crank pulleys though.

>engine shat itself
>not bad for 100K miles.

Only Audi

youtube.com/watch?v=uILhKQ1GTTY

if this is the same engine you've got a crank TDC mark. Make your own marks on the cams and go from there?

If you're worried about the cams moving, try the DIY camshaft holding tool. pic related

>OP, does the engine crank?

Not going to try it until I am relatively certain the timing belt hasn't jumped. Not even turn it by hand. If the valve timing appears to be OK, then I'll try.

Unlike my Porsche, the Audi doesn't appear to have any timing marks on the cam pulleys. So it's not easy to judge by visual examination. I may just break down and pull the heads.

I'll check for you later if there's any markings. I'm thinking something should be there.

>Make your own marks on the cams

That would work for a standard belt replacement if the timing was still OK. But that's what I'm not certain of. I found a pic of a crank TDC mark which I may find once some more covers are off. But so far, there appears to be no index marks on the cam pulleys that I can use to judge whether the belt jumped.

If the car is of no value to you, why not pull the engine out and rebuild it? Then put it all back together.

Having owned a corrola, e36, saturn sl, and a volvo740, they are all just cars, agreed

not him but he's right. Part out that german trash as fast is humanly possible.

>german engineering

>If the car is of no value to you, why not pull the engine out and rebuild it?
Depends on how much work it needs. Water pumps and belts are easy. Pulling the heads and replacing bent valves I can handle.* If there's lower end damage, I could pull the engine and fix or replace it. But then I'm getting close to the price of a used Audi. I've already got a driveway full of cars. A practically free one would be neat (and I like working on stuff), but a couple of grand would be better spend keeping my other stuff running.

I didn't suggest you dump money on the car. What I was suggesting was, rebuild the motor without spending money. Take it out take the motor apart, if it looks good, clean reassemble, put new water pump and replace timing belt. Go from there.

>requires front end removal?

The opinions on front end removal appear to be about 50/50 in the Youtube videos. I'm fairly can get the belt off, inspect tensioners, water pump and even pull the heads without taking the front end off. Once I'm into it that far, I'll get a feel for how tight it will be to put back together.

I've got the Bentley Audi manual on the way. The only money I'm spending on this until I know it's worth saving.

>rebuild the motor without spending money.

Take apart and inspect. That I can do.

>Part out that german trash as fast is humanly possible.
>german engineering

B..but my 928 runs great and has been cheap to keep up.

It's basically too late by then

No I'm not, I think that he should take this as a chance to strip anything valuable off the car then sell the rest for scrap metal.

OP shouldn't open a new can of worms - just take it as a way to earn some free money with 0 risk.

>Bentley manual
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5273848 might be more helpful than the Bentley.

It seems there are no markings on the camshafts to indicate timing - you'd need one of those shitty toolkits (t40030 for the camshafts and t40026 for the crankshaft) to be sure.
All I can give you is pic related - that's how the #3 lobes are supposed to look at TDC.

Forgot my image, sage.