Be me

>be me
>be driving
>be shifting into 1st gear
>notice shifting into 1st gear is difficult, no longer smooth as butter
>shockedpepe.jpg

I'm not mechanically inclined, what could be the issue with my transmission?

Pic related

why do you have two transmissions?

2wd to 4wd

that's to shift into 4wd m8, that's the transfer case shifter

>two transmissions?

If I had to guess, I'd say your 1st gear synchro is going out. It looks like an older vehicle so it's not uncommon. Depending on the specific vehicle and tranny, it might not be hard to replace yourself.

But if you're not mechanically inclined, definitely talk to a transmission shop and see what they recommend and how much it would cost to fix.

you're not really supposed to use 1st unless stopping. However, since you said it used to be fine and its only 1st, that must mean that the synchro has gone

Dank YJ.

Pump the pedal up and see if it's easier.
In a YJ you should be hitting second before first anyway.

If I'm stopped, I noticed if I shift into 2nd first, and then into 1st, shifting into 1st is buttery smooth

Ah, I see. Thanks m8

For all intensive purposes it is a second transmission.

Thanks. It's an '87 with the 4.2 and a Peugeot tranny

Alright I'll test that once I hit the road soon

You should have been doing that since the beginning.

I only found that out recently. I will do that from now on

I've got 4.2 '87 also.

Check that flex tho.

>Pukegoat
It's dying. Shoehorn an AX-15 onto it and forget it.

>second before first

Nigga what? More like fix your idle speed you tripfag

Needs an adapter plate kit

>4.0 ho swap and forget it

Ah, dammit. I'm going in a trip in a few weeks, I'm thinking of just swapping in an Aisin Ax15 now

I've got terrible flex as well. Is yours still carbureted?

>you're not supposed to use first gear to get your car moving

do what?

Nah I like my low end torquey 4.2

Then get said plate. It's not exactly a complex affair. The Peugeot is a glass tranny.

Is it a complete stop or rolling stop? You should only shift into 1st at a complete stop since there's usually no 1st gear synchros

Otherwise you can double clutch rev match into 1st if youre rolling too slow for 2nd but need to get going

>there's usually no 1st gear synchros
look at this boomer lads
look at the boomer and laugh

My e46 does this. If im sotting at a light in neutral i'll rev the engine slightly while putting pressure on the shifter and catch the gear on the down-rev. Dont know why it works

>tfw so used to driving non-synchro truck, instinctively double clutch
>look like a dumbass in front of friends every time

the issue is you

Maybe going to fast

non-auto drivers BTFO

Check the shitf linkage first on top of the transmission, to see if the gear shifter pushes enough for it to go into gear...

>intensive purposes

Posts like that are a diamond dozen.

Check you shifter cable, lubricate it/adjust, check again. Sometimes it is a easy fix.

>"subtle" humblebrag that you can drive stick

it's not a cable shift genius, the shifter is directly attached to the transmission.

I'll check it thanks

This

i'm gonna help you out because i feel bad
the phrase you're looking for is "for all intents and purposes"

Good on you for setting him straight. Making an error like that in public could be ruinous in this doggy dog world.

No one mentioned master/slave cylinders? I had a slow leak in the master that caused my shifts to get worse. Although, in your case, it most likely is a synch

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go.

Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

see
The slaves on early YJ's is a fucking nightmare.

No, not really. Its more like a locked Differential with two gears.

This is because synchros just help mesh the speeds between different parts in the transmission. When you rev the engine you are manually matching speeds.
Many people don't know this but you can shift a car without using the clutch at all. My father actually talks about driving his VW Bug back in the 70s to a mechanic after his clutch completely went and shifting by reving the car and slipping it into the next gear.
I wouldn't suggest trying this as learning it is difficult and basically requires grinding gears, but the point is that it's perfectly possible.

Unrelated story, my dad also talks about having to drive his Bug backwards up a couple of really steep driveways because the reverse gear was shorter than first gear lol

Yeah but wouldnt idle speed and first gear be the exact same speed? So no syncro should be required? Or maybe my idle is too fast/slow?

>assmad amerifat gets triggered

I guess if it's a 1960 that's possibly true.
Because that reverse is geared retardedely.

Would have been a hell of a hill though.
I take boomer stories with a grain of salt, they're usually wild exaggerations. I'm not even sure if they're intentional exaggerations or if memories just naturally distort into being greater than they were.

I just came here because I saw the thumbnail on my phone and thought... YJ !!! I miss my YJ...
Your 1st gear synchro is wearing out. It happens.

No, the ideal engine speed to enter first gear with a wheel speed of 0 is always going to be 0.
You clearly have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a transmission is doing when it's mating gears.

That's almost definitely what it was. And they lived up in a town in the mountains so I'm sure more than a few driveways and roads were insanely steep.

No because as another user said, the speed of the gear you want to go into will be dependent on your wheel speed and the gear ratio attributed to that gear. That's why to start a car with a broken clutch cable or something you actually need to have it in first gear and get it rolling.
This is also called a bump start and can be used when the battery on a car is dead but the alternator is working fine.