Is it pussy to wear a dust mask and change air brake shoes...

is it pussy to wear a dust mask and change air brake shoes? no one at the shop ever doesnand after changing a couple axels my inner nose is black as coal.

i dont see how people can rip on smoking a cig or two a day and then say that brake dust is harmless

Other urls found in this thread:

aa1car.com/library/trtu796.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shit like this is why I stopped working as a mechanic. It seems like no one cares about the work will effect there long term health. Makes sense though, their peak job in life is fixing toys they will never be able to enjoy.

so this isnt pussy of me to think it gets in my lungs?

ill be honest i smoke a cig of an evening with some coffee but theres no way in hell a few puffs of smoke is more likely to cause problems than a half days worth of breathing brake shoe dust

maybe im wrong but it just seems backwards

So just wear a mask and do your job, who gives a fuck what the other people think.

Do you blow brake dust around with an air blower like an idiot or something? I've changed thousand of sets of brakes and it's a non issue. Just avoid disturbing the brake dust and you should be fine. Asbestos was removed from brake lining material decades ago and although it's never good to inhale foreign airborne particles it poses no immediate risk. Youre likely to inhale more particles landscaping your yard than you are changing brakes.

Depending on the age of the breaks, it's raw asbestos.

1980s macks usually

>Tfw block sanded over 120lbs of filler this week with no mask
You are like little baby
Granted I have about 5-10lbs of the shit in my lungs but wear a fucking mask. I've inhaled more filler, paint and thinner than 90% of people.

Anyone who considers it "pussy" to be concerned about your longterm health and quality of life is a retarded inbred redneck.

Don't blow the fucking dust around dude lol
I use either brake part cleaner or a spray bottle of water/soapy water/ simple green when doing brakes which might contain asbestos, I just spray it lightly and get everything wetted down then hose it off a bit with a bucket under it.
Even some modern pads can have it and especially pads from China I don't trust them at all, fuck those Chinese they don't give a fuck about your health and they would totally use that shit.

OP, why don't you have an brake dust water sprayer machine?

Cars/brake pads/shoes made in the USA and other countries may still contain asbestos.

>he doesn't have a 3m half face respirator with p100 cartridges

>Even some modern pads can have it and especially pads from China
Selling brake pads containing asbestos in the US would be a giant fucking scandal.

lmao no

call it chrysotile or "mineral fibers" and it'll fly, its fun when i spend a summer at a facility removing a whole roof because the flashing came back as positive for asbestos then only to test it 4 years later and its still asbestos because they used cheap lowest bidder chink shit for the roofing tar/sealant.

honestly the exposure to organic vapors (brake cleaner/degreaser) and other carcinogens (used oil, gasoline) will do you in before the asbestos, and never mind the ergonomic/physical issues (bad knees, arthritis, etc).

aa1car.com/library/trtu796.htm

>not north p100 defenders with activated charcoal filters and full face papr setup

its like you dont give a fuck about your health huh

>drum brakes
Dumb inbred truckers don't understand that it is the 21st century I guess.

Drum brakes are more effective at stopping vehicles, they just don't dissipate heat well.

6/10

you do realize you can get more surface area with a drum opposed to a disc set up when it comes to commercial applications

just get a brake cleaning tank. pic related. I had one at my shop and made changing brakes simple and dust-free. not to mention that everything looks nice and pretty afterward.

Mesothelioma.
How did I get this disease? What are my treatment options?

Better Call Saul