/ss13g/ - spesswomen on a spess station

Last Thread:
/ss13g/ is is for all space station 13 servers, this thread is not just for the Veeky Forumsstation. Discussion of other servers are welcome only if they are apart of this game, other byond games are not to be discussed here.

Last time on /ss13g/ - spessmen on a spess station:
>New players
>Slime people lore being written
>dragonbro deadminned

>What is Space Station 13?
youtube.com/watch?v=FHH1vfY6HTA
pastebin.com/VNcX2Quc

>New player guide
ss13.moe/wiki/index.php/The_Basics
ss13.moe/wiki/index.php/General_Help

>BYOND client
byond.com/download/build/LATEST/

>Pomf Serbian, main Veeky Forumsstation server
byond://game.ss13.moe:7777

>Test server
byond://ss13.moe:1337

>Public server list
byond.com/games/exadv1/spacestation13

>How do I connect to the servers?
Hit the cogwheel in the upper right corner of the BYOND hub and pick "Open Location"

>Veeky Forumsstation forum and logs
ss13.moe/forum/
game.ss13.moe/logs

>Map renders collection: updated sometimes
game.ss13.moe/minimaps/images/maps/

>Coderbus, here!
github.com/d3athrow/vgstation13
@rizon #coderbus @rizon #vgstation
discord.gg/fE3Ts8A

>Cryo Autism
pastebin.com/raw/YmAyagUa

>Round Stats
stats.ss13.moe/

>SS13 booru for all your SS13 images!
ss13.booru.org/

>How To Install BYOND: The Video Tutorial: The Movie
youtube.com/watch?v=-iWiZwv9f1o

>Nostalgia
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/text/ss13g/
ss13.moe/index.php/bans

>OP Pastebin
pastebin.com/raw/z7czw5WQ

Other urls found in this thread:

ss13.moe/forum/viewforum.php?f=12
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for gas the vox race war now

An new era of VG is dawning...

who

Veeky Forums economy is bad, really really bad. Every attempt to fix it has been to rp inclined for the serverbase and everything is balanced around miners. The high prices of everything is because of how easy it is for miners to get money.
Realistically I think money from miners needs to be cut dramatically. The wage payouts right now would be good if the cost of vending machine food was cut in half and food cargo crates were readjusted.
But this means changing the mining vending machine. Which really needs to be changed anyway. It's too easy to just hack it and shove a dead mouse by it to launch all the goods out, completely removes the need for miners to grind out money for a hookshot and such.
But then if you cut the miner's money, what do they buy the items from it with? And it wouldn't make sense to have them cheap as chips, and if you make them too expensive they'll never get bought.
Wish someone on the coder side of things would sit down and give it a good think. Money on the server is really bad.

is gay marriage legal on the space station?

Everything is legal in space.

Yes but it must be properly notarised, and your marriage applications must be filed in triplicate and approved by the station heads, the station's chaplain, and NT human resources.

Is hand holding legal on the space station?

>no marriage applications on paperwork guide on the wiki

Making some progress on the station map.

Still not sure about Sec being on Arrivals deck. I figure that its a central location (arrivals being the center deck on the floorplan) so they wouldn't be too far way from either end of the station.

Wow holy shit fuck no, you fucking degenerate. Reported to sec, enjoy permabrig

I don't know if you reposted this because you think it's bait or funny or a good idea or what but I was just brainstorming.
Bringing over some other stuff that an user & I said in the last thread:
What about changing Cargo its own semi-internal economy?
Everyone with Cargo Office access has access to the Stations Cargo Credit account. Maybe this is static round to round, maybe it fluctuates up or down a little bit. Cargo itself can earn more for station purchases by recycling crates, recycling waste and from miners on the asteroid.
Ontop of this, players can exchange credits they get from their wage or their starting money into Personal Cargo Credits. This allows them to order crates without using the stations Cargo Credits and will give Cargo the ability to make a few more Station credits from the recycling aspect.
Maybe some crates are locked behind the credit type? Things like carpet crates, arts and crafts crates, musical instrument crates, clothing crates, party crates and food crates that aren't just basic ingredients, and corgi crates are personal credits only. Station credits include things like vending machine recharge packs, engineering supplies, weapons. But not everything is exclusive to one type of credit. There's some overlap for people, just really high risk things can't be bought with personal credits, and RP sort of items can't be bought with station
With this I feel like we can lower the vending machine prices because they're a bit crazy. Maybe cut them in half or a third. Probably had more to say but I got distracted.
Go easy on me please it's early.

See, this is what I hate about most the anti-RP crowd: Any time that someone proclaims that they want more roleplay people immediately assume they want autistic Bay levels of RP where people need to emote doing even basic actions such as pressing a button or they get banned. No. The medium RP crowd doesn't want that. The reason why we don't go to Bay is because Bay has TOO MUCH roleplay: They put the roleplay first and the game second, rather than other way around as it should be (and as opposed to the light/no RP crowd that wants to put the game first and make roleplay optional or completely absent). It's like it's impossible to have a middleground, and that if you don't like one extreme then it must mean that you like the opposite extreme instead, which is not the case.

We just want people to put more effort in getting immersed. No, it does not mean you should have to type out three sentences every time you want to point a gun at people. No, it does not mean that admins should police everything you do and tell you how to play your own character. It simply means to pretend that you're an actual human being in an actual sci-fi setting with a job on a deep space research facility, and act accordingly. Rather than treat this game as some valid-hunting sandbox with a light space station flavor.

I do, however, acknowledge that not everyone plays this game for the purpose of roleplay. There's nothing inherently WRONG with wanting to treat this game as a valid-hunting sandbox, but everyone plays this game for different reasons. That guy earlier was right in pointing out there is a massive rift in player interests on this server and at some point we're gonna have to sit down and discuss what direction this server should go in, whether it's more of a roleplay focus or more of a gamist space-mafia focus. There's nothing wrong with liking the latter, but don't be surprised when the people who prefer more roleplay try to stand up for that.

>weapon is called fire axe
>doesn't deal burn damage
FIX WHEN

There should be a traitor item for the atmos tech called a "fire" axe that actually sets people on fire

It's far too late to change people's focus now, bar literally brainwashing everyone to not act like metagaming faggots, it's impossible to stop people from building up knowledge from previous shifts and using that in innocent to utterly shit ways without heavy administration

Imagine, if you will
>it's a cult round
>cultists succeed in their summoning
>to their surprise, Nar'Sie doesn't answer their call
>minutes pass and still nothing
>cultists scratch their heads wondering if their summoning ritual was wrong
>suddenly frantic chatter over station comms screaming about 'the moon'
>inquisitor looks out the dusty maint window
>sees this
>and it's heading for the station

>traitor flair gun
>doesn't give them a makeover
wtf why

>not making them go WOOO
0/10 apply yourself

>chameleon jumpsuit
>fits a human and not a small lizard

>Cryptographic sequencer
>doesn't sequence cryptographs

This is true. If someone acts in a powergamey way, the only way to counter it is more powergaming.
EX: Billy Bob Mc Greyshirt rushes the spare 5 minutes in? The counter to it is for heads to rush the spare themselves, thus not solving the issue of roundstart traitor-plays.

Exactly, there is no way to stop this without straight up going "Alright we'll ban every faggot that does this", and all it takes is one person to not follow along for everything to go to shit

maybe if the server was new, and people entered thinking that powergaming is heavily frowned upon, the ideal level of rp would be easier to implement. For a server like Veeky Forums it's simply far too late.

Fuck off. I don't want your restrictions on how I play or roleplay.
Light RP or bust.

Light RP is what we are, it's what the post wants too. It lets you RP as much as you want and nobody can tell you to fuck off. It's the no RP shitters that ruin it.

I personally don't care how someone plays so long as they don't go to retard levels of OOC like "u to him 2da bar???" or kek/lol/lel
They could fuck around for all I care or even not pretend to be a spessman, so long as they don't forgo serious responsibilities if they're something like CMO.
It's what made Veeky Forumsstation a fun place for years to me.
Muh immurshun has always been an afterthought to most and an obsession to the few serious players.

my main issue is stuff like powergamey play that can ONLY be countered by more powergaming (rushing the spare roundstart, rushing the ai upload roundstart via law 2)

But even those things aren't inherently bad, you can have a lot of neat gimmicks by rushing the spare or uploading new laws roundstart.

The actual problem is when those things are done purely to "win" the game as quickly as possible, because it seems like the space station roleplaying simulator is very competitive for whatever reason

Those aren't the greatest examples of troublesome powergaming.
After playing an assload of sec, all access clowns and assistants are chumps, and everything else you learn to adapt to. I'll admit I always keep a box of tools on hand or stashed away on the brig.
The only kind of powergamey bullshit that's ever been an issue is monkey dick sucking lings and plasmaflood #7473828373728283637.

I'm sure people have done it before, but I've never seen anyone do a gimmick by rushing the spare at roundstart. To give the past couple times I can remember it happening:

>Mechanic rushed the spare
>Mechanic rushed the spare
>Assistant rushed the spare. When arrested, said it was because she wanted to become a space explorer, and she didn't know that there were any heads. (Read: decided not to look at the manifest on her PDA.)

The consequence of it is that it compels you to become a powergaming shitter if you don't want the round to end in Greyshirt Mcgee mass producing all access IDs in ghetto surgery while the captain is holding a court trial for something that happened 45 minutes ago.

You absolutely CAN adapt, but my issue is when adapting entails powergaming, especially when it resulst in security officers giving me shit for rushing out of the brig roundstart to secure the spare when I'm the only head.

This could easily be fixed by spawning the spare with whatever head is playing, or by giving all access to the head if there is no captain, with a corresponding spare.

Another solution could be to spawn all heads in the command meeting room, making them the first able to get the spare.

I like the idea of heads spawning in the meeting room and not in their department. Maybe not EVERY round but occasionally.
The shift always starts at 12:05 and I like to believe that this is the end of the NT sanctioned lunch time, so everyone heads back to their department to carry on their shift.
Although I'd like for assistants to spawn in the arrivals shuttle instead of the toolshed, honestly. That's the only one I can't really explain.

>This could easily be fixed by spawning the spare with whatever head is playing, or by giving all access to the head if there is no captain, with a corresponding spare.

god, please. that'd be great

sounds stupid to me. it's called the Captains spare, it's his card. it's not the Heads spare.

its stupid to have a station with no captain

maybe he's away on a busy off-station meeting
the others just need to fill in in his absense they don't have the training and stuff to be a real captain

but they do
SOP dictates the HoP and then HoS become captain

no no no, it states they become the ACTING captain. they aren't the real captain, just a replacement while he's away.

and as acting captain, they should be the one with either the spare or all access

yeah if you wanna be acting captain you better go get that spare then lol

>firelocks, windoors, and one directional windows still block all projectiles from hitting a person standing on their tile no matter which direction the projectile comes from

this shit needs to be fixed NOW

When you code it

One directional windows are assigned a tile like everything else. Fixing this would require a lot of work so its never gonna happen.

I've been told that it's a byond limitation and it can't be fixed

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The way to fix it is to stop caring about combat and play on baystation :D

It is due to a bug with BYOND's internal bump detection. Lummox knows about it and is being lazy about fixing it.

The reason it seems like it suddenly appeared is that we used to our own bump detection, which did not have this problem. We switched to BYOND's internal bump detection in order to facilitate a transition to pixel-based movement.

No progress has been made on pixel-based movement. I honestly don't know why we're staying on Lummox's shitty broken system instead of going back to the old one.

Why be bothered?
In the meantime it's best just to abuse it to the fullest.

but that's gay

>Injected the power cell of a stun baton with plasma, and later used the baton himself resulting in a explosion which breached medbay, was disconnected when I wanted to PM him. Come to ss13.moe/forum/viewforum.php?f=12 and explain what happened

My next antag gimmick will be to break into security and inject all stun batons with plasma.

Even if you do, sec mostly uses tasers.

main server is fucked, connect to byond://ss13.moe:1337 for normal rounds until the main one is fixed

is it taking forever to connect to the test serb for anyone else?

>5 people on main server

Yeah fuck off smallboss, just moving people to test server so you can griff them and there's no public logs.

smallboss broke that too

I won't stop you from playing on the main server if you really enjoy powerpoint tier gameplay

>powergaming
No, fuck off. I like RP, I WANT RP, but SS13 is a ridiculous game in a ridiculous setting and it ought to be inhabited by ridiculous people.

no I was the one griffin

What is it this time?
Which coder do we lynch?

It's too late, you've lynched all the coders who could fix it

Right, we lynched noone

>Yclat is a god tier github poster
>Harse is a god tier player

If they had a child, would it save Veeky Forums?

>all the coders deserved to be lynched

what a conundrum. Why can't there be good coders that don't ruin everything for everyone so that we don't have to drive them off so they can fix our bugs?

I'm a good coder who doesn't ruin things, but I also don't fix any bugs I didn't cause.
I don't fix a lot of bugs.

Killing people with the shuttle is pretty benign, the round ends 3 minutes later anyway.

Avada hasn't logged in for a while. Kinda makes me a litte upset, she reminds me of myself..

t. coder who has caused tons of bugs but hasn't realized it so causes a bunch of bugs to go unfixed

Who is the morena of 2017?

Is the serb fixed yet

it is fixed again

hello i press button server work now

but it was pomf that fixed it

Try putting a fork in a plug socket to keep it from happening again

Reeee
The Newfriends ruin malf, nukeops and cult

But bay has a far more intricate combat system

Which would you prefer?

>Player that uses the optimal, pre-practiced strategy so they are completely stealthy, and guaranteed to win
>Player that's experimenting with things new to them, that may lead to a more unique experience

Had one new cultist buddying up with an assistant, they were being chased by carp so he drew the cult armor rune and staved off the carp from him and his friend

Sure beats 'slap em in the face with the stun mute paper'

If nonantag cargo would order guns and take over the station using only non lethal weapons and then demote all of security and non cooperating heads to assistants, would they be banvalid?

probably

Okay, Slime People lore idea.

Man fucks slime, his mutant child somehow manages to escape and splits itself into other beings and now they're just sorta here and there.

Boom.

We have a strict poloicy on non-antags helping antags. If an admin on duty notices, you can expect follow up ahelps and administrative action if it's required.
Better yet avoid helping antags as non-antag entirely. They have the tools to be more powerful than the crew for a reason.

>new
>could make a rune

think he meant talisman

good fucking luck doing that non-lethally friend

also that's banvalids for sure if none of them are antags, that's like if security chloralled and arrested every department with no justification or charges

it's actually not as difficult to do that as you think

a single greyshit can do it with the element of surprise

Just pray to the gods of cargonia and ask for their blessing. If sec and command are being particularly shitty they could ok it.

>non antags completely usurp the station, arrest all normal co-workers and do mass demotions in order to rule a station, causing mayhem and directly breaking tons of laws, ruining a round and acting like antags, just non lethaly

Gee billy, take a fucking guess.

I want medium RP just so people will actually do what you tell them when you're a head.

>You haven't played as a Fortress role the last round. You cannot play in space now.
>You haven't played as a Fortress role the last round. You cannot play in space now.
:You haven't played as a Fortress role the last round. You cannot play in space now.

>/ss13g/ is is for all space station 13 servers, this thread is not just for the Veeky Forumsstation. Discussion of other servers are welcome only if they are apart of this game, other byond games are not to be discussed here.

>other byond games are not to be discussed here.

REPORT AND IGNORE THEM

>orbital station 13
>space station 13
really makes you think

ON the off chance that something like this were to happen, I;m pretty sure it would be valid. As long as nobody died, it would just be a gimmick. A really well-done one too.

>lifeweb

>russian game
>uses a reaction image of a russian

Fuck off ElWhoop

also you making a thread and putting "WE CANT DISCUSS LIFEWEB IN HERE" doesnt make it a rule. lifeweb is a ss13 branch, deal with it
its a ukrainian ;')

Stop responding to the shitposter, just report and ignore them. If they stop getting replies they stop posting.

>REPORT EVERYONE WHO I DONT AGREE WITH REEEE

On the topic of Space Station 13, what is your favorite Space Station 13 map?

Whatever polaris has

That's North Star, and it's a great highpop map. Polaris never reaches playerpop to have such a huge map not feel empty though.

Heres hoping a mapper makes it vg friendly