Why aren't gated shifters more popular on cars?

Why aren't gated shifters more popular on cars?

more expensive

More expensive...

increased financial burden

Cost more

not cheaper

Not cheap

have to pay more for em

monetary implications

It'll break the bank

Because they suck when the bushings wear out.

It can't cost some astronomical amount to have some CNC machinist cut some metal to make a gated shifter. I'd imagine it at MOST would be a few hundred dollars more

Umm, no sweeties. It's because it gets dirty and is hard to clean. I can tell none of you boys do any cleaning. Rich guys can afford to pay someone to clean food out of their supercar shifters, you poor betas would be shifting crumbs in a week.

Are these harder to shift? I have only driven a manual Challenger and the shifter seems pretty much designed for being fucking manhandled. These gated shifters look like they would require finesse and a more delicate touch.

The underneath matters too.
Can't be a direct mount, can't be rod shifted, becauae both of those move around with the drivetrain. That leaves you with a cable shift as your only option, or much more solid eng / trans mounting.
Both are uncommon.
Also it's a huge cunt when the bushings wear out.

Yeah they're slower to shift. But muh feels.

why can't I get a hellcat/demon type of straight line box with a sequential shifter from the factory?

No they feel about the same as a normal shifter

The gate is an integral part of the shifting mechanism, it's not just slapped on top of a conventional setup

Wrong

Give 1 example of a cable shifted car with a gate.

>sequential transmission

Unless you plan of doing rally racing with it, just stick to a automatic. On sequential you only use the clutch to get it into first I'm pretty sure, every other gear is just pulling the shift knob slightly back to change the gear.

Basically, it's cool as hell but impractical for a everyday scenario

>eating in a supercar
>not taking your lady to a fine restaurant and having your supercar valet parked right in front

holy shit, you're poor because you think like a poor.

>euro's need training wheel-type devices on their manuals

Most sequential boxes run straight cut gears which would drive 99% of people insane.

>Basically, it's cool as hell but impractical for a everyday scenario

>What are Motorcycles.

>what are motorcycles
>what is every drag hot rod with a sequential trans being DRIVEN to the track

you're basically saying any clutchless trans is impractical lol

>Give 1 example of a cable shifted car with a gate
Ferrari 360

>Most sequential boxes run straight cut gears which would drive 99% of people insane.
Quaife and Hollinger offer all of their boxes with helical gears. They are the two preeminent sequential box manufacturers.
The real reason is the lifespan of unsynchronized dog engagement when street driven.

>what are motorcycles
Small, lightweight, low power vehicles with lightweight transmission and drivetrain components that consequently have a phenomenal strength to weight ratio.

One must be prepared to invest a not insignificant amount of capital into such a device in order to realize their goal of having said device installed in one's horseless carriage.