New Car General

Can we discuss new cars? 2015 through present, even future models.

It's a pretty dismal market right now. It feels like the options are either a truck, a hatchback, a 50k german sedan, or one of endless list of identical round crossovers. Does anyone else get the feeling that the auto market's decline will lead to an ego death of unique cars? Or do you think that approaching singularity will make companies push out truly inspired models?

What are the standards you look for in a car, and can you think of any new models that meet those standards well enough?

honestly, I want to see new utes. We need a new El Camino stateside. People are starting to make their own.

We're just experiencing the lull before the EV boom. Hopefully by this time next decade %60+ of new car sales will be electric.

>People are starting to make their own.

>It feels like the options are either a truck, a hatchback, a 50k german sedan, or one of endless list of identical round crossovers

There is another way user

These aren't photoshops btw

They even made an AMC Pacer look cool

Yeah, I'd love to see that. I'm plenty nostalgic of 2 door suv's also, even though I wasn't driving when they were in their prime. Compact powerful utility would be the dream.

I guess. I still think electric design is just going to plunge further on the current trajectory. I'm a pessimist though

Adding to that, I want to see a company that replaces old engines with electric.

Alternatively I could see some people making a few crazily designed electrics as ways to draw attention to the lot.

The Miata, Fiata, BR-Z, Elise, Exige, Mustang, and STi all fit my requirements (assuming optional LSDs are added). Either Alfa Romeo would, too, if they came in manual.

I just want a "Ford Ranger" type automobile released today

>no bells and whistles like infotainment and sunroofs
>no electric doo-dads except a radio
>comes in 2 option levels, I4 or V6
>comes with tires!
It's just a vehicle that does vehicle things only for people that like vehicles (or are on a budget)

Only one problem. No one would buy it

>custom vehicles when

what's the deal with cvt? I like the outback with the 3.6, but all I've read is people shitting on the transmission.

Is it really all bad?

Even with custom vehicles, you wouldn't be able to get something as bare bones as what some of Veeky Forums's autism demands demands. Various regulations and standards of mass production wouldn't allow it

Starting next year, everything has to have a backup camera

Insurance/safety groups would never let something "new" out on to the market without ABS/ESP/SRS systems.

At this point, it's actually more expensive to design something with manual locks or windows as opposed to power features

Utes are shit
>t. south american
We basically have 3 types of pickup trucks here:
>kei trucks
>utes
>compact pickups including: Amarok, Hilux, L200, BT-50, Ranger, S10

The truck market sucks here

So we're doomed to keep repairing and modding the gems from the 20th century if we want to not be coddled? :C

I'd pay 30k for an early porche 911 with a hybrid engine in it. Doesn't even need to be as powerful. I just love the style and I'm not a mechanic.

Does that fit your custom vehicle bill?

Think of it this way, if your preferred method of transportation was still a horse and saddle, you could still travel that way, it just becomes less and less feasible as time goes on

>Insurance/safety groups would never let something "new" out on to the market without ABS/ESP/SRS systems.

Actually, U.S. federal law requires that all mass-produced consumer vehicles past 2012 have ABS / traction control / stability control. I used to work in a Bosch factory that made these units (they're all built into the same hydraulic assembly).

Conveniently they are designed to work normally if they fail, so you just have to remove the fuse for the system. The only issue is that you have to lose ABS as well, but that's no biggie.

Do you have autism or something?

>Ad-homineming LPG.

No. Do not do this.

what he said makes perfect sense. you can live in the past up to a point, but not forever

cuck

Yeah. I've said for years how I think old model bodies with updated powertrain/efficiency/safety would sell well.

I get that it wouldn't I just like the aesthetics of the past

The Model 3 by Tesla

Continuously Very Terrible

who the fuck are you to tell me what to do

CVTs are great in theory, but terrible in practice.
A CVT is able to hold an engine at the perfect RPM for fuel efficiency, power or torque. while changing the gear ratios to increase speed.
The problem is that CVTs, by design, aren't very strong. Sending more than 100 HP though them tends to make them cry. Early CVTs used a rubber belt and cones, but modern ones use cones with metal chains/belts, and they still can't handle much power.
consequently, CVTs have short maintenance intervals (Honda's are the longest, going 15k between services) to keep them going. If you don't stick to it, and often even then, the transmission will shit itself.
hearing of people replacing the entire transmission (because it's cheaper to replace than rebuild) 3, 4 or even 5 times before the car has even hit 100k are startlingly common. By far, the worst offenders are Nissans. Buddy works as a tech at a Nissan dealer. Saw a brand new Sentra come in with 600 miles on the odometer for a complete transmission replacement.

>namefag

I genuinely want to know. The top speed of a horse I'd much less than an ICE car

Bummer.

Any dece alternatives to the 3.6 outback? I'm a fan of the wagon style and ground clearance. But I guess I can't overlook the tranny as just a quirk of it all

Is there any manual override for the electronics in modern cars? I hate things beeping at me when I drive, and I like to be in control of when headlights and wipers and traction control go on.

Any help would be appreciated

I really want to like these but just looking at it there are too many hints of Chrysler.

>It feels like the options are either a truck, a hatchback, a 50k german sedan, or one of endless list of identical round crossovers

If you can wait a few months, look into the new 2018 Buick Regal TourX.
2.0L turbo i4 (250 HP), available AWD, conventional 8 speed automatic

CVT isn't that bad. My mom's Maxima is about to hit 80k with no mechanical problems. That's with 290 hp.