What do I do Veeky Forums?

What do I do Veeky Forums?
>Bought a car like this for $500 to work on
>Ask for quotes on insurance company's
>$250 a month
>Work for $10 an hour at Walmart

how old are you, do you have a bad record or something?

Get insurance

Get a second job

I am 20 with no record. Do these companies check credit?

stop working at Walmart and into business

Yes they check credit. As well as your driving record, zip code, whether the car gets stolen a lot and a bunch of other factors. Call and ask why the quote is so high.

You're under 25. They probably assumed you're high risk. Males under 25 are deemed high risk drivers anyway.

WTF. my ralliart costs $1000 a year for full coverage.

>250$ a month for a simple toyota
>in my country it's 60€ for a golf, including ricer tax

OP here. If anyone from AZ can weigh in that would be gr8. It's looking like I am not driving my own car for awhile.

What does being in AZ have to do with it? Call around, ask for quotes, ask then to explain quotes. Beyond that there's nothing to do but either get a better job or sell the car.

Alright, will do. That quote just seemed really high compared to what I have seen on here. I just figured it was the area.

Dude I live in AZ. Take a look at progressive. When I was 18 I paid $190 and this was like 7 years ago. It was for a higher HP more expensive newer car too. Everyone else quoted me high. I chose progressive as my main pick then got my parents contracted insurance agent to take a second look for free for me and he suggested progressive too. Now I'm 24 and pay $47 a month for a AW11 and modified Volvo 850 Turbo. I recently added a shitty parts car that I've been DD since it has AC and a tranny to put in my T5 and its a 98 and they charge me $38 a month for it.

That was a typo I was 15 and a half when I paid $190 for my 850. Meant to type 16.

If you want to sell me your ae82 id be happy to buy it =P I want to put my 4age ( i need to rebuild) into an old corolla and put a 20v in my mr2.

Don't insure it, but don't drive it on open roads either.

It needs unforeseen work. I bought it 3 years ago and put $1500 into it. I want to get it running so I can feel better. It has a 4ac that spun the rod bearings. Car is not where I live and I work on it on my days off. The car ran when I got it and made a terrible noise. I saw a hole in the flexible part of the exhaust and fixed it. Still there. Pulled oil pan and saw metal shavings. Its an adventure. I am starting to love this car for some reason.

do you need the insurance, legally wise? if not, why go for it? the car is literally worth 500 bucks, if it breaks down 3 months after you bought it, it is still cheaper than paying 3 months of insurance and get the price back.

It is illegal to not have insurance but lots of people dont have it here. I don't know how they get away with it. When you get pulled over they ask for it. I don't want to risk it.

I pay $160 a month to insure a car and a van in az with geico and have gotten in multiple accidents and a dui and have no credit at all, even when I was 16 it was only $100 a month for a car. that doesn't seem right. Did you say you're gonna use it for personal use less than 10k miles a year? that might help

Don't drive the car on public roads then. Tow it to the spot you're gonna play around with it.

Thats actually a good idea.

I am going to try to quote again. I may have made an error in my information or something.

Yup. Welcome to being under 25 and male. Too many of your peers are hooning idiots and you have to pay for their sins. You can bitch and moan about how unfair it is but unless you're willing to self insure, you have to live with it.

You have to have proof of insurance when you renew your registration and there are services that will let you pay for one month's worth of insurance so you can do that and then you let it lapse and drive uninsured the rest of the time.

You're going to rebuild an econobox I4. Just swap in something else.
>inb4 LS

Get on your parents insurance. My father is actually co-signed on all my car titles (I'm 21). I also pay my parents directly and they pay that to the insurance company so I'm still on their plan. Instead of paying $250 a month I end up paying like $350 a year.
It's honestly a ridiculous price difference. I hear it starts to drop off after 22.
I also have no accidents, no tickets, and I've had a driver's education course in highschool that also lowers insurance.

I already am almost finished completely rebuilding the engine. I made a mistake, I know. But it was a learning experience. First time I worked on a car.

that in itself is worth while.

A good insurance for my old car runs about $450 (400€) a year (and -10% off every year until -80).

Feels good to live in Europe I guess.

My man just swap a 4age..

No there's something wrong here. Like I said I'm 24 and insure 3 cars with more HP for less than half hes getting quoted including a turbo and a coupe every car being newer than his too in the same state. Either OP has some major infractions or hes not getting quotes from the right places.

wrong* not right lmao

Im over 25 and I'm a hooning idiot.

Which is retarded. As a 20 y/o male, I very rarely see my male friends text while they're driving. Girls, however, I see texting all the time. Every time I see a car not able to hold their lane on the highway, and it's because they're texting, it's a girl.

sounds like fucking ontario

fucking this! or the bitch is doing her makeup. women driving was a mistake

Making fake insurance cards is easy as fuck because it's not like cops are going to call the insurance company and check, it's absolutely fucking retarded to drive without insurance though.

Insurance itself is a scam that only helps those too irresponsible to save for accidents and those unlucky enough to be involved in a mishap serious enough for them to take advantage of their coverage and get more out than what they put in. If everybody made use of their insurance policies to the point of getting their money's worth, then unless insurance companies were subsidized (and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they are) they'd all go out of business. A smart person could take all the money they'd spend on insurance, put it in a bank account, and use that for emergencies instead. This would work for the vast majority of people if it were legal. Those who take advantage of their policies to just the point of breaking even are a very small group.

>tl;dr: insurance only helps irresponsible and unlucky people but we're all forced to have it anyway

you're a fucking idiot.
insurance is mostly to protect you from damage to others.

lets say someone bikes into OPs car, falls on the floor and breaks his neck, now OP is paying disabled bike boy for the rest of his life, enjoy financial ruin!

OP, shop around on your insurance and get a better quote.

I know. Don't ask me why the insurance companies have that under-25 rule, but they do.

Just get liability, it's under $100. You don't need full coverage for a $500 car, let alone any coverage.

Not him but I tend to agree with you on most types of insurance.

However if a person is starting from a point of 0 savings, having insurance makes sense until they are able to save up enough to cover emergencies. If something happens between the time one starts saving and the time one has saved enough, what can they do without insurance? Probably go into debt, which is even worse financially.

That said as it is the insurance industry is all kinds of fucked up, between the regulations around it, the fact that they sell it to people by preying on fear, and much more.

Just get liability only, you dumb turd. Full coverage is for new cars and shit you actually care about.

gets PLPD on $500 shit box so when he crashes he gets his $500 back.

auto insurance covers medical costs of people injured by your car, that is where the $250/mo goes
if some uninsured wetback rams you with his truck, you have pay the hospital and he pays nothing because the cops can't contact ICE if the Democrats run your state
fucking jews throwing open the gates to these people, it's Toledo in slow motion