/dmt/ daily manual thread

Let's post questions relating to driving a manual car here.

Do you ever need to shift back into first if you haven't come to a complete stop?

Other urls found in this thread:

merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Tiranë/AUTOMJETE/Makina/VW-Volkswagen/Golf/Golf/OKAZION-GOLF6-1-4-TSI/4432520
youtu.be/JUVkVB3SUf4?t=33s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>pic related
me with my console shifter

I never shift back into first. 2nd should engine brake all the way down to 1.3k~ rpm and almost 5mph. Go neutral and coast the last few feet. Usually I only go down to 3rd gear ~10mph. Then neutral

I found this 290k mile Corolla with a manual transmission. I don't know how to operate a manual car other than I have watched a few tutuorials. How do I bring this car back home, which is 20kms away?

yeah, sometimes when i'm going up hill in traffic and shit slows down to a crawl.

I rev match for shits and giggles into first at like 10kmh to slow down to get over speed bumps or into driveways.

Is it important to learn to shift smooth while you are first learning?

The only manual car I have ever driven is a bugeye WRX

Do other cars shifters feel really that much better?

always heard WRX manual is low tier

>Do you ever need to shift back into first if you haven't come to a complete stop?
In 99% of the cases no, unless what said. But I can always give it a little bit of throttle while releasing the clutch so the turbo gets spinning.

Unless you want to destroy your clutch and transmission, yes.

i like your cock

Totally depends on the car. Some will stall below 10mph in 2nd without heavy clutch slippage, some will handle it just fine.

I can't help laughing everytime I see that fucking shifter. Jesus fuck what were they thinking?

Call a friend who knows how to drive a stick shift car, ask the owner a favor, recovery truck or etc

It's actually a pretty good shifter position.
Citroen and Fiat had already used it in some cars (and still do.)

It may work well but it looks fucking retarded.

I engine brake down in second, switch to first as I'm going over the hump and then clutch + gas away. Smoothest way IMO.

As a Hawkeye driver, I can totally confirm; every time I jump into a different manual car it feels so much better.

In what way?

like what would make it feel different

I drive a blobeye btw, made a mistake, not a bug eye

Would our transmissions feels samish?

Supposedly the best feeling gearboxes feel like engaging a rifle bolt, so take what you want from that expression.

Ive got a 1.6 Volvo C30 (Petrol), and I usually change gears around 2.5k rpm, thing is most of the time I'm not fast enough and it isn't a smooth gear change. From 2nd to 3rd is always the worst, I have to be going at least at 25mph for the shift change to be smooth, I feel like this is too high for 2nd to 3rd? I barely ever reach over 3k rpm and it always sounds like I'm over-revving when I do. Is this normal? Does anyone know at what rpm I should change gears in a 1.6 petrol? (Not sure if its the same for similar cars but I get about 100bhp and 110lbs/ft torque)

I drive a 1.6 Miata and I change at 3.5kRPM or above most of the time. It's not a number thing though, it's more a feel thing. If you're getting smoother shifts higher up the rev range, it's probably your transmission telling you something. As long as you're not slipping the clutch, the engine being at a higher RPM isn't going to damage anything.

Who is the autist that keeps making these and insisting on it being a general?

not gay or nothing but for some reason whenever I see that civic gearstick it makes me want to put my mouth over it.

not even a Honda fanboy and I don't particularly think it looks cool.

anyone know this feel?

Mine does 10 mph at idle on 2nd gear, so I can't go below that without slipping the clutch. Usually I slowly shift into first (as to not further wear the synchro) when below that speed.

>Usually I slowly shift into first (as to not further wear the synchro)

how does one "slowly" shift into a lower gear?

It's a matter of feel; I gently apply pressure to the shifter until the synchro has done its job and "slips" itself into gear.
It's a worn synchro thing. If the synchros are in good condition, you won't even feel that hard point in the shift.

I own an AW11, a Miata, and a Bugeye WRX. My AW11 probably has the most enjoyable shifting feel with the Miata being a very close second. The Bugeye is absolute shit, but I also just bought it recently and it really needs a new shift linkage. Hopefully that will drastically tighten things up.

The best manual I've driven was a 3sgte swapped AW11 so it had the SW20 Turbo transmission and it was super notchy. Some people hate notchy, but I loved it. Really felt like slamming a bolt on a rifle, just a satisfying throw and click.

Yes. Up hills for example, or if you have a tall second gear.

Don't look at the rev counter. Just listen to/feel the car. If you're not upshifting smoothly you probably aren't taking your foot fully off the accelerator.

How many fucking sports cars do you own and how can a chicken farmer afford them?

Didn't you used to have a lancer?
Also how old is your chicken? Tfw it will die one day

No, I usually just stick her in 2nd and let it rumble at 500 rpm. Hardly ever use 1st gear or the clutch!

>tfw have a manual because all cars here that are not for the disabled are manual
>tfw makes no difference because black box

cucked, just in a different way

Yeah but when you're first learning it's going to be rough anyways. Just be conscious that if you fuck up, it will hurt the clutch.

I envy those with cars. Driving around a truck with a HD manual is hell on the leg. Clutch is like pushing cinderblock with your foot. Heavy, grabs weird, and I rarely use it. It's been like that since new.

>try to learn techniques with manual
>heel toe
>end up crushing my balls
>try other way with heel on brake
>doesn't feel as controllable
welp, at least I learned to rev match instead of just braking in neutral/clutch

macau?

My 2nd gear goes up to 80mph, yeah I have to shift down into first when rolling slowly if I want to get any sort of acceleration.

>le hyper normie faggot OP question

You shift into first when you gotta shift into first. For some cars, this is at a complete stand still, while for some others, the first gear is actually useful. I find that on most cars I shift into first for that late bit of engine breaking. There's simply no direct answer to this question, as it depends both on the car and your driving style.

shifting into first with a miata going 10mph feels like you are going to stick the nose into the ground

>Do you ever need to shift back into first if you haven't come to a complete stop?

I do, but I'm new to driving, when in city traffic, shit happens and for whatever reason if you gotta come to near crawl, I will shift into first.

Someone help me out with that if you have any tips.. Twingo starts shaking on second gear below 18kmh

If you're at a speed too high for first but too low for 2nd, you can let the clutch slip a bit, just like when driving off. Though at 18km/h your rpm should already be over 1k, which is enough.
The shaking comes from giving too much gas at such low rpms. Feather the gas until you're at 2k, just give very little gas and increase it until it starts to shake. After a couple times you should know how much gas you can give.

I learned to drive in one of those civics and can't say i ever thought about that. It would have been kinda weird with my driving instructor next to me. I do however think it's a great position to have the shifter for dat proximity to the steering wheel.

>RPMs this
>RPMs that

Its a twingo. I am literally shifting by ear.

So, at some point, before the car starts shaking due to too much gas, you're actually getting more power by going, say, 70%, rather than WoT?

Well, then 10 km/h probably equals 1k and 20kmh 2k, story does not change

Don't really know, you probably get a tiny bit more power than wot. Engine wear is more affected.

Thanks for the help, will try it next time.

Glad I could help, you don't watch the rpms for this anyway. You feel and hear the shaking engine. Eventually you get a feel for how much gas you can give

Should I get a Golf 6 1.4 TSI as my first car?
Found one for a pretty good price at 6200 euro
I just want a smooth drive and comfy small qt car
Parts are cheaper where Im from but still will it be relatively reliable if I take care of it?
link related
merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Tiranë/AUTOMJETE/Makina/VW-Volkswagen/Golf/Golf/OKAZION-GOLF6-1-4-TSI/4432520

can someone recommend me some videos where the person is just driving a manual, NOT trying to teach how

So today I was nervously looking for a parking spot and as soon as I saw one I braked and put it on reverse. Thing is, I did so before the car was fully stopped and that shit made a terrible metal ripping sound. After that I drove just fine for the rest of the day but that shit has me thinking, did I fuck my car up?

Yes, if you're moving under the speed that 2nd will comfortably engage in.

Yes, because you'll go through clutches like an american otherwise.
The clutch and gearbox last for and determine the life of a car. Once it's old enough for either to go wrong, it's usually 'uneconomical to repair' and scrapped.

Why do people need help with it? Once you learn enough to pass the driving test, it comes naturally after a while.

There ain't nothin' wrong with a little bump and grind.
Note, a 'little'. Don't make a habit of it, and double-clutch before engaging reverse to make sure the shaft is scrubbed of any forward momentum.

Bok?

>fwd
>sports car

youtu.be/JUVkVB3SUf4?t=33s

Anyone else prematurely had to change their manual transmission fluid because of heavy traffic? I think I need a refill at 55,000 km (34,000 miles)

Yes.
>dd a '90 miata
>take as good of care of it as I can manage
>up to date on all services
>did a full detail on it a few weeks ago for the summer months
>everything in it is stock, even the cassette player
>there's a black kid down the road that ratted his out
>stripped the paint off, usually drives with no hood on
>deliberately dumps the clutch through every gear shift and exaggerates the jarring motion as much as he can
>massive fart cannon on it
>waves at me every time he sees me working on mine or driving it
>mfw
If nothing else, for the sake of your care, please learn to shift. It's not nearly as difficult as the average jewtuber makes it out to be. Be patient, learn your vehicle, and don't force it.

Motorcycles have better transmission systems.

Awww man, I miss my old ep3.

starting to get the hang of revmatching about a week into driving manual
feels good

Im going to buy manuel but im really scared to put R while driving at 5 by mistake, is that possible?

manual cucks will never know this feel

Yes and it'll let out a lovely sounding crunch and grind. It won't do any serious damage if you do it once or twice, it happens to everyone. You soon learn to avoid it.

I do tho, I drove a 2010 Mercedes with paddleshifters. I thought it was going to be like manual where you're actually in charge but NOO the computer is still there cucking the fuck out of you. You can't downshift when you want and it takes like 5 seconds to actually shift. It's disgusting and if you care about driving cars you shouldn't like it.

Of course they do, it's a sequential gearbox with a wet multiplate clutch and you have 14,000 RPM to play with.

I always hated finding neutral though.

I'm pretty sure your synchros won't let you actually get into R. That doesn't mean go out and try it though.

In the beginning of learning manual, just take it slow. Focus on clutch control and operate everything firmly but gently. Smashing the shit out of the shift lever doesn't help anything. Only use as much force as is required, and do so with control. You'll be fine.