/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread: >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/expeditions-viking-lets-me-be-the-wimpy-viking-i-knew-i-could-be?utm_source=wptwitterus
youtu.be/BrdRZ1uFTbo
nypost.com/2015/09/01/day-care-workers-had-young-kids-brawl-in-fight-club-videos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Undertale is good

I come here just for the spooder.

Are there any GOOD OHRRPGCE games?

>OHRRPGCE
The what now?

Void Pyramid

Guys this game might sound great

waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/expeditions-viking-lets-me-be-the-wimpy-viking-i-knew-i-could-be?utm_source=wptwitterus

I'm past a point where I can select my party and it's great

Also Isaid it before but Cosmic Star Heroine's soundtrack is tops

Bloodlust

Rate my farm, and why the fuck is iridium so hard to get?

Middle of summer / Year 2.

Lewd mod when? I want to destroy my wife's ass.

youtu.be/BrdRZ1uFTbo

Bumping with FTL bullshit

That had better be your wife (male)

Any indie strategy game? Something like AI War?

Tfw no games with predominantly femboy casts

Aaaand it's done.
I enjoyed doing the cloak, that was fun

I'll usually need at least 2 notes of recommendation before adding a game to the list and reasons why other than "its good".

I really liked the short novel that was about the Witch's POV and was a prequel.
I'd be interested if there was anything new being added.

Online card game platform

Fake news

Fake news

Just wait a month or so until it's fixed (). It's not a coincidence that it's rating went down to 68% (274 reviews) in the meantime. E:V must be an experience that deserves to be enjoyed without annoying technical issues.

Does Stardew Valley have smithing or just farming?

no smithing, just farming

Just for upgrading your farming tools basically, but you give the materials to the blacksmith rather than doing it yourself.

Dammit.
When will I get a game that will allow me to fulfill my recycling fetish?

You can recycle trash into an RNG common item.
Play Factorio.

I'm def excited about it but I'm going to wait before I jump in, don't get fooled again

That's not really what I want.

To tell you the truth, I'd like a game where I can just go kill a bunch of bandit, take all their weapon, dismantle them to keep only the blade, melt them ingot, and then make an armor out of it to get even deader.
I should just mod Skyrim, but the combat in that game is not fun at all.

There's a mod to Smith and completely ignore Clint. Good if Emily is your wife

Oh boy that sounds pretty nice. Oblivion with craftybits was kind of like that but it was a CTD fest

Honestly, I think that Oblivion's combat was even worse than Skyrim. Did the entire game with a shield and a sword, and it was all block>attack twice>block>attack twice>block>heal

Oblivion had better combat mods than Skyrim but they're constant CTD fests.

thats the closest you'll get buddy.

I'd like a game with necromancy, but with actual depth to it: like sperg levels of detail concerning corpse procurement and preparation.

instead all I get in games is learning some generic spell called "summon undead" and I just instantly shit out some temporary, uncustomizable AI zombie out of thin air and some of my mana gets used up

we just have to learn to live with compromise

Sounds like Cataclysm, Dark Days Ahead
Disassembling things into their component parts for use in crafting plays quite a big role in it

CTD?
Also, never tried any mod for Oblivion. I played it vanilla. Modded the shit out of Skyrim once I finished it and it was pretty fun.

Shit, that sounds nice too.
I want a game where I can raise my necromancy to leve max, and then get the power to resurrect whoever I want. Be it NPCs, bandits, or even DINOSAURS (yeah I just watched Jurassic Park and I want to pat Hammond's back) .

Oh yeah, I heard about that one. Apparently, the unarmed combat system is also good in that game, you can go Jackie Chan or The Rock.

C:DDA is basically a survival roguelike, so combat is just whacking things with the directional keys, but you can certainly beat the shit out of zombies pretty good.

>so combat is just whacking things with the directional keys,
It has better ranged combat than most other roguelikes tho

Dunno, I remember checking a wiki, apparently you can pull a lot of complicated stuff to break things' limbs.

nice farm
> greenhouse
> all pomar trees grown
> iridium sprinkles
doing better than I was first, took forever to finish that bundle
still seems like you have too much of the farm to the wild
same

closest I've ever gotten to my dream was Fliggerty's Blasphemous Revenants for Morrowind.

you'd kill an NPC, and you could make a lesser zombie right there with their corpse, but if you wanted one of the greater undead you'd leave their corpse on the beach for mudcrabs to strip away the flesh, then take the skeleton back to the necromancy hideout, reinforce the joints with netch leather and scrap metal, add meat, wrap the new body up like a mummy, and let it soak in one of several different vats giving it different properties for like 30 days - and then you finally got to summon it.
I enjoyed that.

I think someone made a fanmod of it in Skyrim called Corpse Preparation or something but just didn't do the original justice in terms of detail.

That sounds really nice. What if you replace a few bones? Like, you pick these Oblivion beast, the one that look like dinosaurs, the clannfear. You kill one, you take the head, strip away the flesh, put the skull on your skeleton, and bring it back to life (?).

Crash to desktop.

Ha.

IIRC based on the race of the NPC, the final product would have varying degrees of strength, so orcs were the best as they had the most durable/strongest bodies, and elves the weakest.

also I just remembered you had to transport a corpse/skeleton by slinging it over your back, which made you slower and if you got seen by an NPC with that, they'd report you for necromancy/gravedigging and you'd get a 1000 gold bounty.
it was a pretty good mod.

I don't think you could do the same with monsters though, I think it was only restricted to the common race NPCs, and no switching of specific bones - an orc skeleton was an orc skeleton whole.

Still not bad.

The sad part is that even if we get a game with that amount of level, other parts of it will suck.
Like in Magicmaker. It has a very nice amount of crafting when it comes to spells, kinda like Lichdom, but the fights are just about spamming the same spells.

IDK, depends on the studio/devs.
Starbound, Stardew Valley, and Starsector are all indie and they turned out pretty decent.

but I get where you're coming from: if a half-assed team ran with the concept I'm sure it'd be lacking in other parts of the game.

>Starbound
>very decent
What.
Last time I checked, it was a piece of trash where you can from planets to planets to mine because mining is so fucking fun.

But yeah, I'm not just talking about indies. Games that have a quirks tends to focus on it too much and neglect the rest.
For example, Borderlands is very proud of their gun drop system, but the problem is that outside of the guns, there's almost nothing. You have one ability per character, and everything else is passive. For a game that was sold as "Diablo 2 with guns", it failed to deliver to that regard.
So of course, you'll say that the guns are the main focus of the game and that it's a bad example, but a quirk isn't a game. If you were to make a game where you just craft skeleton without putting a story behind or add other stuff to it, it's going to be boring really quickly.

Starbound is considered to be a dissapointment on many fronts.
I liked Stardew Valley but it doesn't come close to its inspiration. Combat is crap, farming has no depth, and courtship is shallow.

i kinda wanted to make a game about an archaeological dig being run by necromancers, but then i realized that would be effort

any /cbg/ here (aka cities skylines)?
I know its kinda pretty popular, but that general been long dead

It's /civ4xg/. They also accept /cbg/. For fuck's sake, I bothered putting it in the tags.

Is there any game that let me do that :
nypost.com/2015/09/01/day-care-workers-had-young-kids-brawl-in-fight-club-videos ?

>inb4 Dwarf Fortress

>my PC runs Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain perfectly
>Dark Souls 3 is smooth

>Insurgency 2 and Cortex Command are laggy as fuck
Well, not exactly laggy since it's offline, but they're SLOW.

>Cortex Command
Wasn't it, like, abandoned by devs a decade ago or something?

It's okay, everyone has been misusing "laggy" to refer to low framerates for way too long. You can do so too.

That might explain a lot.

I don't know if lag refers to online lag only or if it's also input delay. That also happened a few times.

Lag in the context of vidya refers to latency. Network latency. Ping times. But it's convenient to use it to describe any kind of slowdown, low framerates, freezing and such. English lacks good words for that.

Sort of. I've been having "fun" with adversity.

Okay then. I'll just call it lag and not bother too much with it.

HellMOO

>Lichdom
Speaking of that game, how do I fucking play? I understand that charging attacks means doing a critical attack, but every fucking monster is a bag of HP and requires over nine thousands attacks.

Stop spreading bad info
Insurgency is poorly optimized compared to most games, source doesn't help. You can turn down some settings but don't go too low our else you lose the skybox

>tfw you realise the key of having a successful /indie/ game is putting Star in the title

BRB, gotta start developing my first game titled Starving Bastards: The Mustard Upstart

wasn't someone in this thread playing a Expedition game? Are they fun

>For example, Borderlands is very proud of their gun drop system, but the problem is that outside of the guns, there's almost nothing.
Which is a shame because, the gun system isn't worth any of the hype and the franchise has better points.

The touted gun numbers of Borderlands are ridiculously exaggerated. While this may seem obvious to some, it is technically possible (and even fairly easy) to achieve such ludicrous numbers. However, achieving such numbers in any meaningful way is arguably impossible.

In reality, there's only a handful of prominently different weapons, less variety than in any good diabloclone. Yet they chose the number of guns as one of their franchise-defining marketing point. whywouldyoueverwanttodothat.jpg

Gameplay-wise, majority of the weapons are trash and those mountains of trash only serve to lengthen the grind to get the weapons you want to use. When even unique weapons are generated from random parts, the grind to get what you want is kind of nasty. You end up playing through most of the content with subpar weapons, whatever drops you happen to get. I guess the design intent behind that is to keep the player addicted to the looting process, but lame weapons really ruin FPS gameplay. I've rarely felt same way about diabloclones.

And it just gets worse in endgame. What was the best way to to get endgame weapons? Fun bossfights? Or at least grinding cool high level areas? Naah, you loot the fucking armory of Knoxx with a bug until your brains melt.

Sorry for the tl;dr off-topic crap, I'm slowly getting to some sort of point here. Even with all that bitching and moaning, Borderlands games are among the best AAA+++ shooters from recent years. It's just that... why most big-budget games are crap when it comes to the actual game? It's like there's some law of nature that dictates that game mechanics and gameplay become irrelevant once enough money is poured into assets. I guess that is why I love indies.

Good theory, but how come Terraria is vastly more successful than Starbound? Because it has falling stars?

Any updates at all on Hollow Knight? Not even a hello from the devs? Didn't see anything other than "DLC Soon™" last I checked their site.

>but how come Terraria is vastly more successful than Starbound? Because it has falling stars?
terraria has a team of devs that aren't comically incompetent and fill the game with "features" that actively make the game worse

I recently tried to play Starbound with a friend but we both got bored and quit. It's still not a fun game. It doesn't matter how feature complete it is or will become, it's not fun

Falling stars that deal damage, no less.

For late game slime rancher, what's a good thing to fill excess pens with?

I was thinking Crystal/Something, since crystal apparently has an even higher base sell than quantum, and you can merge them with some other mid-tier slime to get decent profits.

Aw come on, you're way too serious. user's star theory was good.

i didn't fall for the starbound meme but i still get a bit angry over it because i'm friends with people who did

I enjoyed both Terraria and Starbound with friends. Where is your god now?

Starbound was way better long before release, though. I never understood why they removed all the fun techs.

Terraria came at the right time, is somewhat functional, and has good word of mouth. That doesn't mean it's a whole lot of fun (mining resource gathering will NEVER be good gameplay) but whereas Terraria was first and came before people realized how awful those games are, Starbound is post-masquerade and only the insanely curious give a fuck

>Gameplay-wise, majority of the weapons are trash
Just like every hack'n'slash. I never really understood the logic behind these games.

What bothers me most with Borderlands is that it always go like that :
>find a weapon, let's say a Hyperion pistol
>get used to its peculiar quirk, do really well
>damage fall behind and you're forced to pick a new weapon because everything kills you before you can chip their health
>find a torgue weapon who has excellent damage
>suddenly you play like shit because Torgue bullets aren't hitscan and the dispersion fucks you up

If it was Grim Dawn or Diablo 2, I would just stop using that weapon and use spells to compensate for my shittiness, but I can't in Borderlands because you only get one spell and it has a long recharge time.
Not only that, but because the game is so peculiar, your usual gamer reflexes of clearing the trash before focusing on the boss is actually the opposite of what you should do. More than once, I died because I automatically tried to take out the trash first.
Medikits are always extremely rare, you have no potions to chug, and since your hitbox is larger than you think, you often take bullets even when you're behind cover.

At least Handsome Jack saves the day, but jesus, that game made me rage a lot. Maybe as much as the souls games.

I hate Starbound because you mine. I hate mining, it's a cheap way to make your game artificially longer.

Okay, you personally loathe mining resource gathering. Doesn't make the game bad though.

And back in reality, the amount of resource mining you do in Terraria is minimal. Most digging you do is exploring and later on biome control. I'd understand if you were hating on something like Minecrraft for too much mining, but not Terraria.

Terraria Gen died. Long live /indie/.

>(mining resource gathering will NEVER be good gameplay) but whereas Terraria was first and came before people realized how awful those games are
just because you hate a type of game doesn't make it bad

unless it's a moba

Fucking Rimworld.
>start a new game
>get a cat
>can't train it
>look at his health
>has cataracts on both his eyes
>"maybe that's why I can't train it!"
>get another cat
>can't train it either
A shame, I wanted to train them to attack.

Mod it.

fuck off (((Terraria gen))), we don't need your """"""game"""""

are there mods that let me succ the cat

are you catfucker

Maybe, but I meant to mod it yourself. Whipping up something like that shouldn't take longer than 5mins.

yes

who did you expect?
sportaflop?

why are you still here

why do you still torment me, after all these years

why do you feel the need to attention whore over raping your cat

>Just like every hack'n'slash. I never really understood the logic behind these games.
No, I didn't mean it that way. Okay, most drops in any hack&slash are trash if we're talking about rarity.

But the weapons in Borderlands, even if we assume everything has the same rarity and level, most weapons are trash. The weapon system is a huge wasted opportunity because most weapon part slots simply have plain inferior/superior stat variations, not actually any different stats or functionality. There is not much choice, you just want the best parts. Most players probably don't care how weapon generation works so they never discover how lame it actually is.

So what I'm saying is that any hack&slash worth its salt actually has more weapon variations than Borderlands. Weapon variations that matter.

i do it for the memes

Mini Ghost is pretty fun and has level, tile, and character editors

>ask for good jrpgs last thread
>get several AAA games back
wut

>Most players probably don't care how weapon generation works so they never discover how lame it actually is.
Well, actually, I never bothered with that myself. I know it's a randomly generated system about varied parts, each with its own effects, but the problem is that, like in every hack'n'slash, you can't get attached to a weapon.
Unlike, I don't know, Dark Souls, where every weapon is theorically viable, Borderlands forces you to change weapon constantly, and the annoying part is that weapons are so damn differents between each others that by the time you get used to a weapon, you're already switching to a new one.

And I'm not fond of making elemental damage so relevant in a game that's so random. If I could at least get some item to temporarily change all my damage to elemental one, it would be less of a pain in the ass, but sometimes I feel like I'm playing with a huge randomizer.

And of course, the enemies always have perfect accuracy and damage, and there's no armor in that game.
And enemies scale. Fuck scaling.

Looking for a recommendation. Which is spookier, Scanner Sombre or Thimbleweed Park?

Also looking to pick up Rain World because I hear it's a game that'll keep me playing for a while.

Oh, that girl looks cute.

Oh, that boy looks cute.

Oh, that cat looks cute.

i wanna hug him

Do you have the edit of that picture where it says stuff like "Lots of treasure here, do go farther!"

Neither games are really that spooky.
I really liked Claire though, it's like 2D Silent Hill.

And Rain World is pretty fun, but difficult. Still haven't beaten it yet.

>you can't get attached to a weapon.
>Borderlands forces you to change weapon constantly
That was only a real problem in the sequels. If you found a good ass gun in the first Borderlands that thing could end up being your new best friend for 10 to 15+ levels easy.