Exp/o/sing Quick Lube Chains

Exp/o/sing Quick Lube Chains

Former Employee edition

I'll go first

>Work at shitty quick lube chain
>Grease Monkey, Brighton Colorado (the east Bromley store)
>have several years of experience in quick lube chains, somewhere close to 4 years

So here is the bad, the worse, and the ugly

The bad:
Every employee, except the cunt manager, is underpaid. Corporate grease monkey doesn't feel they should pay employees a flat rate, so they base it off of store performance. HOWEVER, I worked for 6 consecutive months at minimum wage (in spite of being the lead technician) while helping push the store to the #1 selling store in the Midwest. I asked for a raise, and was told that I would not get one. When I asked for that I was being considered for assistant manager, but they didn't feel like changing my pay rate. I could bitch and moan about pay, but that's to be expected of quick lubes. Low pay shit hours

The worse:
Due to the managers shit work ethic, we would consistently lie about computer systems being down and or being out of supplies. This normally wouldn't be a huge deal for the employees, but the upper management groups were aware of this and never corrected it. Meaning, they truly do care about maintaining a business, at the most simple level, they don't care about providing services to the customer and would rather lie to them.

The ugly:
Here's where it actually gets ugly. Scare tactics are common in quick lubes, but BOTH Brighton locations for grease monkey take it too far. To the point that several elderly customers have been left crying because of the price or what was said to them. In certain instances, cars have been "held hostage" to the point the customer gives up and gives in to the demands of the workers. As far as corporate was concerned, we were meeting sales numbers. Next on the ugly is filters. We had service champ as our filter provider. I have never seen cheaper filters in my life. Absolute garbage. (1 of many)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-avpx8UTakI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

(2nd part) the canister (cartridge filters) would frequently disintegrate and we would have to pull the fucked up pieces apart. The spin on filters would have gaskets break or crack a few days after being put on. Drain plugs were frequently put in without a gasket or they would be put in and sealed with tamper seal because they were not the right size. Temp plugs were throwin into vehicles we fucked up but didn't want to pay for the fix on. Skid plates left off, if a customer complained about it we would throw another one on from our back room. Cars would get started with no oil because of miscommunication and services were frequently half assed or not performed. In the state of Colorado, its illegal to sell services based off of fluid color, but that doesn't stop the manager. Double gasketing filters would happen all of the time and cars would leave like that. Sometimes canister filters wouldn't get put back in and their housing would. And it would leave. If a filter was too difficult, especially toyotas, we would 1/4 quart it or 1/2 quart it so that way he old one could stay in. we would keep a set of broken Toyota filter caps so we could scare customers into buying new metal ones. In a few instances, we fucked up the threads on those filter caps and RTV'd them back in so the car wouldn't leak. If it was a fleet vehicle we would perform services that weren't even due and charge the fleet account just to keep a high ticket average. If we actually ran out of supplies, we would fill vehicles up with whatever we had. Sometimes it was mystery oil (0/20 5/20 5/30 mixed together) some customers would pay for our full synthetic and because of low inventory we would put lower grades in. The list goes on

The only bit of good news:
If I worked on your vehicle, you never had a problem as I never had a customer return with a problem
And if you did manage to catch us in our endless fuckups, you got several free oil changes

good god

ITT
>why I never ever ever take my card to a quick lube place.

>And if you did manage to catch us in our endless fuckups, you got several free oil changes

Yay, more "free" service from the monkeys who already fucked up the vehicle. I'm sure that's just what people wanted lol.

Also, CBC Marketplace did a good expose on these niggerish chains:

youtube.com/watch?v=-avpx8UTakI

It's 20 minutes, but well worth the watch for anyone who does frequent these shops.

>be me looking to buy a used car 4 years ago
>guy selling one for reasonable price
>oh and I have all the maintenance records
>shows them to me when I go out to look at it
>JIFFY LUBE, MIDAS
>nope.exe

More

People wonder why our shop charges ~$50 for a basic oil change

>Hurr durr Jiffy lube charges $35

>Hurr durr Jiffy lube charges $35
JiffyLube then tacks on all the fees for that oil change. Hazardous waste disposal, shop materials, some county pollution tax, etcetera. At least the other oil change shops like walmart tire/oil service center includes everything in the one price.

>Drove shit 92 Toyota pickup for a few years
>Jiffy Lube along my commute advertising $19.99 oil & filter change
>Figured that I'd be spending at least $25 on oil and new filter myself, might as well give it a shot
>Pull the truck in
>Given prompt, friendly and professional service
>They removed my air filter and tried to upsell me but I politely declined
>Checked all my lights, topped off wiper fluid, even topped off the tires when I asked
>Total came to $19.99 out the door (no sales tax in Oregon)
>Stopped by that Jiffy Lube on my commute home every few months for the rest of the time I owned that truck and they always did a great job and it was always $19.99

I caught a local place doing this. Little did they know I had an insider on the prices and whatnot. Literally called out the manager and destroyed him in front of staff. I'm not going to be made a fool of just because some high school drop out thinks he can get one over on me
Mind you this isn't about the regular staff but the upper management at these quick auto places. What was good for me was this place wasn't a big brand chain but a smaller chain of stores that did pretty much the same shit. Unluckily for them I went straight to an authority that supervises places such as this and others and filed a complaint etc etc. Basically had the place shut. Once I came out of the situation many more did on how they were over charged and lied to about prices.

>not changing your own oil

It takes less than 30mins if you know what you're doing.

Mind you this was the type of place that would throw your air filter on the ground and rub it around and say
>hey bud your filters bad
or my favorite
>literally putting shit oil in when customers paid for something different.

>It takes less than 30mins if you know what you're doing.
What the fuck, how could you draw this out to take more than 30 minutes?

I mean other than having like a really big engine or something that takes a very long time to drain. It's one bolt one filter and a screw off cap. It should really only take about 60-90 seconds of your actual active time (I.E time not spent waiting.

>Brighton
There's your fucking problem. That place is a shit hole.

I fucking hate half of Brighton. I live in eastern Brighton (near 76) and the rest is shit

>To the point that several elderly customers have been left crying because of the price or what was said to them. In certain instances, cars have been "held hostage" to the point the customer gives up and gives in to the demands of the workers.
What the everloving fuck?

No garage, live in a city so can't put it on ramps in the middle of the street and not get murdered, have an indy I can trust, too lazy to fuck off to a parking lot in the burbs with all of the shit needed, then fuck off to wherever you dispose of used oil. I guess I could pour it over a sleeping junkie or whatever.

The scare tactics. "If you don't replace x, your car will blow up" it was usually more serious than that, but that's a good generalization of what was said.

Yeah I stopped looking at Craigslist postings from there like 2 years ago. Too much poverty.

Could be worse. You could live in Globeville or Montebello.

Most auto parts places take used oil. Some municipalities will take household hazmats too.

If you don't have an indie you can trust, it's your fault these days. Yelp, AngiesList, Google Reviews, etc. There are also rent-a-bay garages you can take your car to, they'll even have someone there to hold your hand as you loosen the drain plug.

I could see it happening if the filter is stuck.

Walmart takes used oil for free

I believe it's actually the law that any place that does oil changes has to accept used oil

White girls fuck dogs

"tank's full bro!"

I repair and maintain my own vehicles. If you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself.
I take this same approach to healthcare (thanks Obongo care). Last year I had to pull out a broken molar with a pair of needle nose pliers. Fuck chicharrones - cocaine is a hell of a drug.