twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Shaft
>Belt
>Chain
Vote now

Chain

post bikes

Chain

Shaft. If you need a chain your engine isn't big enough.

What's the name of the SAM campground?

>dat
>a hairpin
Lmao the turn has no degrees.

Gaylords.

Anybody else carry their panniers with them always?

Cherohala mountain trails campground

Chain

Anyone have tips for checking if my sprockets are aligned correctly after a chain adjustment? I think it's right but I could be wrong, I used a caliper to measure from the nut thing to the end of the swing arm and it seems to the same, possibly like 1mm off. Assuming it is 1mm off what does that mean?

Sorry if these are dumb questions im NewBike

Motionpro sells a tool for it. Otherwise you can run string from the rear wheel to the front and make sure it's a straight line, which is a bitch.

Alternatively, measure from center of swingarm pivot to rear axle on both sides of swingarm. If it's the same, it's aligned.

Why chain? Why not belt?
Belts are quieter, less maintenance, cheaper to replace and last longer?
Noted
I'm looking for my first motorcycle and have been looking at the Honda rebel and shadow and the yahama bolt.

Your petcock is probably bad. If it's not gravity fed it's vac operated feed, so if the diaphragm that opens the valve went bad you'll need to replace the petcock or rebuild.

Nope, I put my top box on if I'll be gone all day, It's nice not having to wear a pack for tools/snacks and a drink.

>measure from center of swingarm pivot to rear axle on both sides of swingarm.

Correct.

>Why chain?
Because my bike actually makes power

Hey dbt, I have a question for you.

I live in Florida and am considering buying a CBR 5-600. How difficult is it to highway ride 200+ miles a day 2-3 days out of the week 1.5 hours each way?

I like to drive to Orlando/Miami at night and then drive home in the morning, but I don't know if I'll be able to manage it on a bike.

>my bike breaks the laws of physics
Get outta here bus rider.

There's a big jump between the 500 and 600.

If you're not doing sporty riding I'd get a touring bike, and if you're interested in more sporty stuff I'd get something like a FJR1300/VFR800 since they're more touring oriented and a bit more comfortable for that distance.

ez as shit. 200 miles is nothing

So conflicted

How many miles do you guys manage before you start to get fatigued? What about long rides at night after hours of physical activity?

I would go do a test run by myself, but no friends.

I know right? I love my vstar 650

I normally do 3 hours before I start to feel sore, but I'm kind of in the minority since most people seem to hate life on something comfy like a gixxer 1000 or fireblade within 30 minutes of riding and I'm on what is probably one of the most uncomfortable bikes in dbt.

How the fuck do you even get "fatigued" on the highway?
It's not like you're riding a mountain pass hard, your ass will simply get sore, take a break of half an hour walking around a bit and you'll be as good as new.

get a bike with good low and midrange. midsized twins or very big i4 engine. if you're chilling on the highway, wind blast and gear changes are your enemy.

Hey hey hey dbt! I'm pumped as shit. I traded in my vstar 950 for a fj-09. I feel like I've wasted three years of my life. More comfortable, more power, more features, more fun.

Thank you dbt for bringing me out of the darkness. Though, now I don't know how much time I'll spend on the board.

welcome to the yammie club, my man. enjoy.

Picking up my first bike, a '99 Nighthawk 750, with 10k on the odometer and an old guy as an owner who sounds like he babied it. Asking $2600, wanna offer $2300 as is appropriate or my area, any tips for haggling someone down?
I've read up on inspection checklists and things to note like tires, forks, chain, etc, but am still going in mostly blind by myself.

go for a 600 and above for that type of boring ride
t. also florida rider
>lets fug

Belt because I have no experience with the other two.

Thanks, I was just messing with it and I think I've got it. Ill pick up one of those tools though.

Ridden all 3 order is:

Chain
Shaft
Belt

My exhaust is starting to blue, idk why some people don't like how it looks.

Going to pickup a used triumph 955 sprint today. Anything I should be wary of?

what's the best place to do a selfguided motorbike tour? thinking ireland or portugal.

Front brakes can be a little spongey, I've heard sintered bronze pads help.

Any love for voodoo vintage?

I have that engine!

What is the most uncomfortable bike on dbt.

I rode an old CBR and my upper back was on fire within 15 minutes. I've done hours and hours on my sport naked with no issues.

This spine destroying shitbike.

>seat is a mouse pad on fiberglass
>suspension is rock hard
>ergos set up for people with scoliosis
>exhaust cooks ur ass

As long as they don't stop making parts for it, I'll be quite happy.

cv carbs are utter bullshit

wtf there's like five components in them, how can you fuck it up

>exhaust cooks your ass
My sv1000's cylinder points right into my crotch. Dead sperm for days

the tit who owned this bike before me chucked the air box and taped on one of those mushroom air filters without upjetting it

I thought I told you to stop taking pictures with snapchat. That shit doesn't have any detail, it's low res shit with filters.

I like it too

oh fuck that

trying to deal with mods, especially somebody else's half arsed mystery mods, is not worth the effort. How would you tell between mechanical problems or problems with the mods? Or does it just need tuning to suit the mods, etcetera. Fuck that noise.

Also
>installing pod filters in the current year
>wanting less power and more noise

Seconding this. Fuck those ergos.

Why does my bike randomly jump to like 3K rpm for about 10 mins after a cold start and riding off. Feels like there's a huge discrepancy between the idle with the choke up while I'm putting on my gear and with the choke down and a mile down the road

I have to pull over and twist my idle adjust screw like 3 or 4 times before it's "warmed up" enough to idle normally for the rest of the trip

fuck off I did when I got a new phone.

also I post most of my memes on snapchat.

>>ergos set up for people with scoliosis
Ha

If my lower back hurts like a bitch, is the forward-leaning position the only culprit? My butt doesn't hurt so I don't want to get a new seat, but maybe it would help cushion blows from the bumps?

Forgot to mention, it also crushes hands between bars and airbox at full lock, and the cat sits right under the right footpeg, so if it's still there your leg catches fire.

For fuck's sake, even phones have been HD for years now, use your camera, I don't want to look at blocky shit.

That pic was taken with my camera though?

What bike?

Was going to do a three day ride around western Virginia this weekend, but now it looks like rain everyday. Should I say fuck it and ride wet or stay dry and do blue ridge parkway south then north.

15 fj-09

Sheiiiit, welcome to the club, same bike and same year.

Dirty carb?

I dont have a windshield, riding 80mph on the freeway wears me the fuck out.

is that the 18L tank bag you have or the smaller one?

This 100%

Now i have a question.
How does straight piping affect air/fuel ratio? My collector is rusting out so i'm considering just cutting it off completely, we'll see who's loud then.

How many miles you got on that thing now? Any unforeseen issues?

I'm guessing the 18L because it holds a lot of shit. The old man that sold me this bike threw it in with it.

Versys 650 a good?
omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/d/kawasaki-versys-tiger-strom/6208561736.html
Don't hear much about this bike on /dbt/

>How does straight piping affect air/fuel ratio?
depends on how bad your exhaust was designed, if its just a glass pack with straight through pipe and a perforated liner there shouldn't be much of a difference
>My collector is rusting out so i'm considering just cutting it off completely
If you mean straight individual pipes off the headers, with no merge then that may affect afr and could alter slightly where your engine wants to make power

>(You)

I wouldn't, it's essentially a wee strom without the aftermarket or absurd reliability, for more money.

>depends on how bad your exhaust was designed, if its just a glass pack with straight through pipe and a perforated liner there shouldn't be much of a difference
Well it's a 4 into two with a collector on the two inner cylinders. Supposedly that's the bottleneck and if you keep the collector in place but remove the baffles from the muffler, the a/fr doesn't change.

>If you mean straight individual pipes off the headers, with no merge then that may affect afr and could alter slightly where your engine wants to make power

That initially was the plan but upon further inspection i've realized that would point the two inner exhausts directly at my back tire and i don't want to melt my new chinko.

Thanks for the info m88.

backpressure, can make it weird at low RPMs.

My baffles are held in by 3 bolts each so if I ever feel like being a hooner I can easily rip em out and sound like a Harley

>sport naked

Go on....

>point the two inner exhausts directly at my back tire
get a couple of these

Only 1300, the oil filter was leaking little but I tightened it back up. Probably from me being a little paranoid about overtighting stuff.

Other than no issues at all.

>half helmet
>Aprilia

What

I could but then i have to find snowflake flange gaskets and also the ultimate goal is to do this without having to re-jet. Is it supposed to lean out when you straight pipe it?

probably his girlies hat

>snowflake flange gaskets
why they don't need gaskets, this one just uses a screw clamp
>Is it supposed to lean out when you straight pipe it?
generally when you improve the engines ability to breath it will need more fuel, but that's assuming the exhaust it what is holding the bike back. The difference may not be much though, since it will vary machine to machine there is no definitive way to know on your bike without seeing what other people have done already.

Usually yes, youre gonna move more air with a straight pipe, more air more fuel.

>since it will vary machine to machine there is no definitive way to know on your bike without seeing what other people have done already.
Fair enough, this bike has seen 7 owners so i have no clue how it's jetted to begin with.

more fuel more power

Are there any alternatives to the expensive roadcrafter suit?
>tfw commute thru winter
>poor end-of-trip facilities at work
>currently have to choose between protection and convenience
>want a waterproof and safe onesie
>roadcrafters cost $1000++

Anything else? I just want something I can throw over the top of my clothes that will actually offer some protection.

>grow up dreaming of riding bikes
>poorfag family so never could
>finally get my hands on a dirt bike
>happiness
>ride like a hooligan till I hit 19
>swap to sports bikes
>ride like a hooligan till I hit 28
>bike friend gets hit by a teenager on her phone
>bike friend paralyzed from nips down
>bike friend acts like he's ok with this
>'least I'm alive user'
>6 months pass
>paralyzed friend is left by his cunt of a wife, taking their kid with them
>I go round every time he has the kid over so I can help
>paralyzed friend asks me to play soccer with his kid
>paralyzed friend asks me to teach his kid how to ride a bycicle
>paralyzed friend confesses he's planning to kill himself
>paralyzed friend asks me to watch over his kid as he grows
>sell my bikes
>sell my gear

How old were you when you decided an hour of fun every day isn't worth the consiquence when you're inevitably hit by a drunk/dumbass/phone user??

I'll never ride again. Not worth it anons...

>still lurk here so I can relive the feels from you faggots

well you pretty much get good or cheap
and cheap gear sucks dick.
look at adv/touring gear in two piece suits too, theyll keep you comfy and dry just fine

Damn son, if I were your paralyzed friend I'd have asked you to kill me if I didn't have kids.

get off the streets and get in the trails. mitigate your risk like a proper human.
>tfw lost a friend just earlier this year and still not sure exactly what led up to the crash

I probably will once I have a reason to really not want to die like having a family, also, adopt his kid user

It actually is a tuono, stop stalking me

I think he was leading the conversation in that direction but I didn't let him get near the subject
>I could never kill myself user, no matter the situation
>I could never do that to my family user
>I could never do that to my friends user
>I don't understand how people ask for help with that sometimes user

Not sure if that made me a dick or not... but I couldn't even have the conversation. He's like a brother.

I've sworn I won't tell anyone (you faggots don't count) because he dosnt want people trying to stop him. Besides, after he asked me to look over his kid, it was pretty clear there's no changing his mind. I just hope he goes painlessly at this point.

I tried, still had a KTM300 at the time, but I just couldn't enjoy it anymore.

Before I'd look at anything like a challenge, and the fun was beating it. Now all I can see is the multiple ways I could end up just like him...

I get my kicks from a foxbody mustang I'm working on these days. It's not as fun, at all, I don't think anything will be... but it won't paralize me as easily and it gives me a much bigger engine/body to tool around on doing things I don't rly need to do for my time killing.

Ride in the rain pussy

Forgot to add, sorry about your friend... I couldn't imagine not even knowing what went wrong, just having that big question mark hanging forever... fuck dude

Yeah, I want kids one day, I want to be able to grow old with them. That was a big part of stopping. It just never hit home till it happened to him.

I'd adopt that little ball of energy in a heartbeat, but his ex is a grade A cunt, never got on with her, no idea what he saw in her, but he loved her so I stood by his choice.

She treats the poor little guy like a fashion accessory. She'll never give him up. She'd have to actually get a job and explain why she's a deadbeat if she did...

>I get my kicks from a foxbody
arguably thats just as dangerous
>tfw also lost a family member in a foxbody
granted not much will hold up to a full grown elk

You look like Luke from Linus Tech Tips. Are you Jewish too?

Nice bike though senpai, I'm jealous

user, get an old PS2 and a copy of Tourist Trophy. It's the greatest motorcycle game out there.

It might just help with the feels.

youtube.com/watch?v=mk26QVQzVMo

Sorry about your friend btw.