/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

You better be working on your demos right now edition.

> Next Demo Day 14 (3 DAYS)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-14

> Upcoming Monster Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-monster-jam

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Thread
> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/rmiZV5yX

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/LKEdLxdG

> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

fixnum.org/godot/
amazon.com/Drawing-Right-Side-Brain-Definitive/dp/1585429201
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What are some old / obscure devs or games that you remember?

2nd for godot is a better gms and unity (for 2d)

3D too (soon)

hopoo

3.0 wait is killing me.
I just want the alpha already.

>calls himself a game dev
>keeps coming back to agdg
>year after year
>still has never made a game
Explain?

the alpha already exists with nightly builds

half ded

engine dev takes a bit

>no documentation
>slapped by two starving argentinian coders
>"fix it yourself" model a la linux

nah

That's a pre-alpha.

Where do I find someone to do some sketches for me

I don't know how to finish a project.

I already read a couple of C++ tutorials and Bjarne's book but that doesn't really help.

also I can't draw, my math skill is higher than my drawing skill and I only know math at a highschool senior level.

Unity is the best game development engine.

Are there any nightly builds that are up to date? The only one I know of is fixnum.org/godot/
But the last build was 10 days ago. There's been some updates in the last couple days I want to play with.

Reply to this post with one idea, character, or item and I will add it to my game.

>needing documentation when you can look at classes and they switched to the full name convention
nigga, all you need is be familiar with 2.1

A talking penis.

working PS4 emulator as an ingame minigame

Peter Molyneux

Gun that shoots bees

already mentioned

>no documentation
Maybe a year ago.
>slapped by two starving argentinian coders
Maybe 3 years ago.
>"fix it yourself" model a la linux
Nope. Just because it's open source doesn't mean it's "fix it yourself". If there's an issue you can report the problem to get fixed. The engine is 100% usable without any C++ knowledge.

Which engines are the best and worst for custom physics?

Bees with guns that shoot bees

So did rotatedev finally give up on his alterego and that shitty red pixel cape thing after getting found out again?

*her

Godot is GMS for people who think saying you make games with an engine called Game Maker is embarassing, despite being the engine used to make great indie vidya over the past few years

the ONLY thing it has over GMS besides using a real programming language is the name, and only oversensitive, insecure faggots care about that shit

>baiting Voldemort

An attempt was made at copying a gait cycle. Art quality aside, the motion is more convincing. Thanks!

Cute pixel guy.

I used GM for a long time and I can tell you that Godot is superior in every conceivable way.
"Godot is a meme" is a meme.

*its

Thief but sci-fi!

A shota who has had his brain swapped with a male bee.

putt putt saves the zoo

She is clear about presenting as female so there is no need to be ambiguous about it.

> A phrase that I, to this day still fear.
This needs either zero commas or two, "to this day still fear" does not stand on it's own.

I use Godot because it's open source, royalty free, and I can make custom C++ modules to compensate for GDscript's shortcomings. Not for any of the gay reasons you listed.

well done user!

this is still garbage from a technical artistic standpoint, but it has a certain charm. it's a local maximum: try too hard to make good art and you fail, but aim for an ironically bad style like this and people will like it

i would play a game in this style and enjoy it

*It is clear about presenting as female

a lynched nigger with a sign around her neck that clearly reads "I as the developer HATE niggers, spics, jews, transvestites, and gays and I sincerely don't want you deplorable half-human shitstains playing or buying my game. You should all be purged WHITE POWER!"

godot will remain nothing but a meme until there are actually good games out of it - unity has them, ue has them, even gamemaker has them, godot has shovelware from its parent developers at best
on /agdg/ there's at least twice the people shitposting about godot's superiority than those who actually use it to make games and post progress
the only thing you can do to change this is make the fucking game

Aware of that, the problem is that I need the pause after I.

>A phrase that I
>*move away from the mic to breathe in*
>to this day still fear

Could possibly change the sentence altogether, but it's the best I got right now.

Messing around with enemy placements. You guys are gonna play my game r-right?

amazon.com/Drawing-Right-Side-Brain-Definitive/dp/1585429201

where's is u are game

A phrase that I, to this day, still fear?

I don't care about the name, "Game Maker" always sounded straightforward and to-the-point to me

>great indie vidya
true, but that's really due to certain strengths (pixels are the units of the coordinate system, etc.) and despite various flaws/inconsistencies/hacky implementations. Maybe they fixed some of that in GMS 2, I dunno

also GMS's business model of selling exporters separately is shit

this desu, plus I really like the node tree and its concept of scenes

Yeah, this is true. Kind of unfortunate it has to be this way when the engine is already pretty proven. But few people will take it seriously until there's a hugely popular game made on it.

Sounds like bokudev

>You guys are gonna play my game r-right?
Give link

Yeah, that's just the way it is. It doesn't matter much anyway, since I like godot and I can keep using it regardless of what its reputation is

The problem is deeper than that. Every comma does a pause in the text, if you'd read the correct sentence (with 2 commas) you'd pause only (or at least longer) before the first one. The code can't handle same symbols with different pause durations atm and would pause the same amount on both, resulting in the equivalent of "that I ... to this day ... still fear".

just add two commas,, nobody will notice

Ohhhh, you're doing this with text to speech? Neat.

I hope you're baiting.

Godot is open source, gamemaker is not.
Godot runs NATIVELY on linux, gamemaker doesn't, at all.
See a problem in gamemaker? Go tell daddy yoyo to fix it and hope that at least 500 people saw the problem AND that yoyo gives a fuck about it.
Wanna do 3D? good luck son.

Fuck off now please

Fine, I'll do it properly and add code to support per symbol durations. Double comma hurts to even think about on a resolution of that size.

The pauses are time before the next character is printed, no more. Sorry to disappoint.

>on linux
If you're trying to make a game on Linx you're doing something very, very wrong.

Not true in the slightest. You can always export to other platforms.

why?

GMS is proprietary software. It's not good.

Godot is open source, so if a bug comes up, or you want to implement something on an engine-level, you can do it yourself, or download improvements others have made.

GMS you also have to pay Yoyo if you make any money. Godot is under a MIT license so you're free to do whatever you want for it.

Godot will most likely kill GMS once it garners enough tutorials online. Godot's 3D is also pretty good, and it'll start to rival unity, especially since Unity's built in physics and shit are so terrible.

Prepare to get (You)'d to death, motherfucker

Delaware, New Mexico, or Wyoming?
>for a solo dev

> tfw initially wanted to start devving in godot but fell for gamemaker meme
i''ll consider switching after i finish the game

Wyoming is probably cheap, but good luck getting a job and not being depressed. If you dev full time you could be okay I guess.

>GMS you also have to pay Yoyo if you make any money.
since when

user was asking which state to register his LLC in for maximum tax benefit.

I live in New Mexico, it's pretty nice weather, seems as good as anyplace to solo dev. Are you thinking Albuquerque or someplace else?

>he thinks anons actually use linux
kek
Maybe the tryhards with actual autism.

Thanks for the push.

Excuse my autism.

Once you learn to properly utilize linux, it's hard to go back desu. It's like baking your own bread.

System shock predates Thief you nerd.

It's the entire business model.

For shits and giggles I made a simple AI that aggressively pursues the first ship it meets and charges towards it in a berserk rage. I warped into a system where a ship just like mine happened to spawn, and we killed each other.

I'm thinking about registering an LLC in one of those states, since they are supposed to be the ones with lowest annual taxes/fees.

>implying I haven't used linux before
Another delusion of linux users. You think people only use Windows because they don't know better or something.

Linux is fucking garbage for anything outside of webdev or vanilla software development.

That's just, like, your opinion man

entire business model of yoyo is paying an unhealthy fuckload of money for dumb modules and that was about it for gm:s1
you pay yoyo nothing from your sales
so i am asking if they changed anything with gm:s2

About 25% of my itch downloads were for the Linux version (0% for OSX).
Sure Windows has a much bigger audience but if your engine allows Linux export then there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't use it.
Linux users are also much more likely to donate and such since it's so rare to find good Linux games, it's stupid how often devs forget to do builds for other systems even though their engines easily allow it.

System Shock isn't about stealing. ;)

Yeah because it's so easy to have 3 OS installed on your machine

Just use VMware or Virtualbox and test your linux port on it. Unless your game is 3D and resource intensive that should be enough.

>About 25% of my itch downloads were for the Linux version
That's because the majority of "people" downloading your pedoshit are from Veeky Forums.

I think that it rolls nicer without the pause, or with a pause after the second comma.

Also I think it would technically be "a phrase which" instead of "a phrase that".

Not that user, but I don't even test other OSes, I just export the games to each OS and test the Windows build.
I've never run into any OS specific bugs that would require me to use another OS. I don't even think that would be possible without it being a bug in the engine itself.

Get off /agdg/ and back to AGDG, burqueño.

>Yeah because it's so easy to have 3 OS installed on your machine

It is, though. For a gamedev that should be a piece of cake.

You're seriously underestimating the number of people who unironically use Linux and nothing else. Just check the steam reviews for any semi-decent 2D game with a linux port. They're not just Veeky Forums memers.

>pedoshit
what did he meme by this

I don't even use Linux but I'm more than happy to increase my audience, I will probably be learning and installing it too just for testing since the Linux audience has been so receptive.

So the fuck what? In any overlap between what System Shock and Thief attempt to do, System Shock's attempt at it is dogshit by comparison.

>You're seriously underestimating the number of people who unironically use Linux and nothing else.
No. You're pushing a fantasy that isn't supported by facts. Just another habit of linux users that make them look even worse as underdogs who can't admit where they lie in the userbase.

Ok which of you faggots was this?

>WAAAAH I HATE PEOPLE WHO USE THIS PARTICULAR OPERATING SYSTEM PLAYING MY NONEXISTENT GAME
Getting all political over something as simple as supporting other operating systems is the classic mark of a nodev.

Half Bomb
Half Box

Think about it, user

Not box, not bomb, but something different

>Not Bombox
really

this game and your company have really bad seo

>you can't even find it by typing "Dogma Bombx"
fucking hell

Ok, so let's break it down:

A OSX machine is fucking expensive. I don't know where you guys live but here I would rather buy a motorcycle with that amount of money. Unless you try a hackintosh, but probably isn't a good idea.
For that to work, you will need to partition your machine. It's always kind of annoying when Linux install fucking Grub.
Also, every OS takes at least 30GB of space nowadays. If you have 1TB of more, good for you. If you are using a SSD card like me, not a good idea.

You will need a powerful machine for that. Even a simple 3D game will require some GPU memory and if the one you have is not that good, both your OS and the one in the virtual machine will be slow as fuck.
But if you game is that simple, why not go for WebGL?

Probably what a lot of people do but not that wise.
I know Unity, Unreal & family does the heavy lifting but something unexpected can happen you have no way to fix it.