Why are roads in America not free?

Why are roads in America not free?

only the east coast is like that, get cultured before shitting up Veeky Forums with this nonsense

They cost money to maintain.

The interstate system is completely free (with a few, very circumvent-able highways), what are you talking about

Because taxes are theft and Americans would rather pay honest corporations to keep their roads in even worse condition.

WhY aRe rOAds iN JaPAn Not fREe?

>what is San Francisco

Turnpikes

Freedom aint free

Because we pay for the things we use instead of paying for things other people use.

>going to San Francisco

How much do you pay for road tax in the US?

In The Netherlands roads are "free" but you pay an enormous amount of road tax based on weight of the car and added tax for diesel.

Let me give an example:
VW Golf 1.2 TSI: 480 euro a year
VW Golf 1.6 TDI: 1200 euro a year

kanker stom nederland is gewoon een anti auto land

I live in Canada and don't pay any road tax specifically. It come's out of the $80 a year for registration and my taxes. Definitely not even remotely close tot hat much.

Road tax is generally part of one's state and federal wage taxes and/or local sales taxes, even if you don't drive. This sort of makes since because goods are transported by semi trucks. Most states also use gasoline tax for this as well.

Passenger vehicles are not taxed based on weight, size, or engine size other than a tiny ad valorem tax based upon the estimated value of the vehicle when renewing the registration each year (mine is like $2).

This. Its entirely possible to travel from one side of the country without taking any toll roads. Municipalities install tolls on roads to generate revenue from drivers who prefer convenience over money. Toll roads are generally less congested or a shorter route between two highly congested areas, but there's always a way to get around for free
maybe if we paid a road tax roads would actually get fucking paved
i live in the baltimore area, thats all i need to say

As soon as you try to raise taxes people will instantly scream THEFT and CORRUPTION and CRONYISM, and partially for good reason. Government spending in the US is indeed incredibly uneffective, but you're not going to fix anything by lowering taxes, and especially not by privatizing your road network like Trump plans to in order to make the infrastructure spending deficit disappear.

i have friends who've spoken to municipal directors, and they tell me that they dont pave roads because it creates an incentive for people to not speed. its fucking shitty.
That said, taxation is theft, pure and simple. That doesnt mean i think taxation is wrong, but it should be something you opt into instead of being thrown in jail if you dont pay. At this point the government has become so inefficient and corrupt, privatization is looking for more like a viable option.

>eurofags paying for roads they don't use

this is why america is the GOAT nation

Are you going to San Fierro?

Jews

>implying all the stuff that is shipped via roads don't count

are you retarded? I mean I know you are american but still

Our government gets enough of our money, git fukt.

Also, it's funny because the areas that are the most liberal have the highest taxes and highest crime rates.

No it isn't. Most of the country is. The east coast is the worst but it plagues the CST states too

Yeah guess why, because people run away into gated communities and become MUH MONEY conservatards as soon as they hit the big cash.

this man has the right idea :)

Or in other words because not everyone is a braindead liberal and moves somewhere where they can actually keep most of what they earn?

Why do libcucks insist that all legal citizens should pay for illegals and criminals, the lazy and their welfare?

>Shipping all your goods on a road

No wonder you guys are so undeveloped.

They are rare in america but Oklahoma got a tolled highway and it was fucking awful even by Quebec or even Mexican standards.

In QC the taxes are deducted from your pay.

I only see them up north

they don't maintain jack shit with that money

Because some people here think it's outrageous that you need to pay taxes to have a functional first world society.

also depending on which province you are in you pay 10-35 cents per liter of provincial tax of which a significant portion is dedicated to road maintenance

Doubt they're taxing much if I'm paying $.90 a liter. That probably explains why the roads suck dick here, That or they spend my tax money on painting fucking rainbow crosswalks instead.

opt into taxes? lol are you dumb. nobody would pay. what we need is for people to start paying attention to their local elections and voting good politicians into office.

lol in NJ atleast the roads are terrible and parts of the parkway and turnpike are absolute shit

One engine can't possibly pull all of that

because Americans are stupid.

FACT: tolls are retarded and only Republicans are stupid enough to support them

had a toll road between me and the next biggest city, only cost a total of 1.25 to drive on the whole thing. road was always well maintained, and cops never sat on it so you could go however fast you wanted. used to be my favorite place to test out my cars.

now the government bought the road. it's shit now, and cops sit all along it.

i'm ok with paying tolls if it means i get option A

Not all states have toll roads in the US, those that do use them to pay for maintenance of the road and as a disincentive for drivers to use them, reducing traffic. In theory, for more expensive parts of roads (e.g. large bridges), tolls also shift the cost of their maintenance from taxpayers as a whole to the people that actually use them.

Comes out of general taxes federally (not separately) and states will add taxes for the roads to gasoline (petrol) purchases.

Part of the problem is that a lot of the turnpike and parkway stay so busy that they're hard to patch without causing tons of traffic. Also, NJ isn't liable for pothole damage on state roads until it gets reported to them formally, so they ignore all unreported potholes and road issues and only act on them once the letter of the law requires it.

Those trains have at least 3 engines. Front, mid and back.

>voting good politicians into office.
Thats not going to fix anything. People vote good politicians into office all the time. They cant stay good because the political system is broken.

>what is chiraq

I HAVE THE RIGHT TO TRAVEL, I HAVE THE RIGHT TO TRAVEL IN A MOTOR VEHICLE, FOOT, HORSE, THE RIGHT TO TRAVEL MAY NOT BE TAXED, FINED, OR LIMITED.