Manual Transmission Thread

Are manual transmissions dying out?
They are my favourite to drive but it seems harder and harder to find them.

Other urls found in this thread:

fix.com/blog/manual-vs-automatic-transmissions/
latimes.com/business/autos/laautoshow/la-fi-hy-disappearing-stick-shift-20161115-story.html
cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-blog/2016/09/why-are-manual-transmissions-disappearing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Does anyone else like wood burning ovens?

What?
Wood ovens are actually cheaper to maintain if you put some effort into it.
Why would you even say that?

I've pretty much gave up on buying manuals. Bought an automatic last year and never looked back.

Came to a realization. City driving pretty much ruined manual for me. It was fun before commuting to work.

I'll give it to you city driving with a manual sucks balls.
I live in the country though so I miss having a manual every day.
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 and I love everything about it other than the stupid dial gear shift, god that is fucking retarded.

>le city driving is hard with manuals xDDD

it is in the US. i went to a honda dealer the other day and they didn't have a single manual in stock except for the Sis. At least most manufacturers are sticking to stick in their sport trims

You guys are total pussies. How about driving a "manual" transmission with no syncros.

Its not hard its just inconvenient. Personally I also find it hard on your clutch. I did it for two years when I lived in the city and it was fun to drive until you hit gridlock and you're constantly having to work the clutch.

>europoor thread

Hard? No
Tedious? Yes

>i'm a weak, autistic, brain-dead faggot who can't perform a simple task

Better on some cars, worse on others.

>City driving pretty much ruined manual for me. It was fun before commuting to work.
you sound like a goddamn cuck

i love manuals and daily a 5 speed in the city but they are dying out. Cars that should be manual only are being sold with auto options which pretty much nuke manuals out of the dealerships.

>hot new sport car is released w/ an auto option
>dealers want to sell as much as they can
>order a majority of autos since everyone can drive off the lot with an auto.
>order a few manuals and kit them to the teeth with dealer addons the cost them nothing but jack up the msrp
>autos sell like hot cakes
>manuals sit since only a few people can drive them and of those few they may not want one with 12k of bullshit tact on
>dealers stop ordering manuals
>special order only

Damn niggas let me live lol.

I don't think my laziness of shifting and clutching for 3 hours a day in traffic affects you at all.

Why the fuck do you live 90 minutes away from your office.

>90
that would be 180
i mean i guess, but you shouldnt let a commute stop you from enjoying a manual trans
leave earlier, or take back roads
it may take just as long to get to work but you wont have to deal with work. do you live in a major city?

Not him but when I lived in a city and had to commute across it it took me as long as an hour and a half in rush hour. In zero traffic it would take me 20 minutes.

I mean, they're dying out in the sense that driving is dying out, automatic transmissions will shortly shift into fully automatic driving systems. Insurance prices will increase to actively operate vehicles on public roads, and shortly, it will be an enthusiast only kind of thing.

Not that it's all bad, I wouldn't mind riding a private bus to and from work or letting it drive the kids and wife to school or work or whatever.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to modern car values in the future.

My office is in the middle of nowhere. I guess you can say its personal preference. Plus the rent is cheaper here and everything is close by.
No other user is right. 90 minutes both ways on average. 60 on a good day.

I live in Maryland. Baltimore County to be exact.

I'll look into some fun toy to weekend drive one day, so I guess you're right.

And then manufacturers can be faggots too. LOOKING AT YOU RENAULT WITH THE NEW ALPINE

Nigger what, shift sticks for automatic is more obsolete than manual trans.

>hey let's waste space with a hand shifter that kind of looks manual even though it's function could be better done with a dial or buttons that take up zero cabin room

My dad has a 2017 Ram and I wasn't sure about the dial shifter but now I'm sold

The only benefit of having the dial there is having the room freed up for a bench seat in my experience. I love driving a manual so much I would rather have a stick to work there. I have a quad cab so I hardly use the bench seat anyway.

I saw this for the first time when I Uber'd out to a bar the other night

Kinda freaked me out desu. Seeing some as mechanical as a transmission being controlled by a freaking radio dial.

>Uber driver driving a Ram
What the actual fuck how would he even make that work financially?

>living in a metro
cuck

Side gig and not his main job most likely. Doing good deeds as a sober cab and making a little cash.

No idea man. I was surprised to see that a fucking Ram was picking me up.

We were chatting and apparently he was retired, so maybe he actually does it to make beer money and not a career like some do. Which is a very bad idea imo.

Sticks not dead.

I'm not convinced that a wood burning oven to make a single meal or pizza is more cost efficient. I'm getting ready to run the numbers in a week or two. But the cost per item I believe will be higher but might wind up with better quality ex cooking my pizza at 600ยบ vs 450 will give me better crust.

Or he was paying you to chat because he is a lonely old man.
Some people are very social and retiring and realizing all of your friends only talked to you because of work could be jarring. It's almost like he got another job so he could talk to his clients.

*so retiring and then realizing, not and retiring and realizing, only want to use and once in that sentence.

then manufactures see dismal manual orders and stop making them. shits fucked.

>ITT: americans
go to any other country. every car is a manual. americans are the only people on earth who complain about driving a manual in traffic.

Not exactly

>all poorfags drive manual

not surprised for some reason

They're sure as hell easier to maintain if operated correctly. Probably will last longer too.

yea they're harder to find, but guess what if you find a used one for sale at dealership you can actually negotiate for less money because it's a manual.

it's what i've done for my last 3 cars. normies don't drive standard.

All the luxury marques in Europe have dropped manuals. People with enough money to buy a high end vehicle are all too self-conscious, too arrogant or too stupid to learn.

They will end when autos end and were all electricucks. There is no reason for manual on a car though.

Except for when the car is a Miata or 86 or Porsche 911/Boxster. Then the manuals command a premium.

The manuals are cheaper from the factory, but dealers jack them up because these are cars for driving enthusiasts who prefer a stick shift.

>american """"""drivers""""""
this
A friend of mine bought an automatic because it was a sweet deal and she needed a car quickly after she sold hers. She mostly uses to commute every day. Still regrets the decision.

im in arizona and have a woodburning stove....old house heating bill in winter running normal style heater = $200-450. New house thats bigger just buying and burning wood - $60 a month fo bundles (wood is everyone during the months)

Those stats should be much higher now since the data is 7 years old.

Isn't there some car out there that people literally have to buy another car just to pull the manual out for the first car?

>most luxury cars don't come with a manual option
>most luxury cars sales are automatics
What could explain this odd phenomenon?

threaten to walk, and if they don't come down then do. never get emotionally invested in a vehicle you don't own yet.

they know that these cars are harder to sell with a stick, with the exception of the porsche which will in some regards always command somewhat of a premium.

you are the customer fight for your price.

I really want a manual S class

me too, too bad even the W116s for sale in my country are autos

You'd probably choose fleshlights over women too, as they're easier to operate.
I mean, if you had a choice.

>Middle of nowhere
>3 hours in traffic.
This does not add up.
Move along, anons.

I mean there are some shitboxes that still come with manual - i.e. a Nissan Versa.

It's not exactly a good one though - it drives and shifts like poo. There's also like a base-as-fuck Civic Sport with a stick and it's actually pretty decent.

Otherwise most sports-focused cars have a manual option. The majority of current generation WRX's are manual, all STI's are manual, the Focus and Fiesta ST are manual, the Miata is manual, you can get a Mustang or Camaro in manual, Corvette comes in manual, BRZ/FRS comes in manual... the list goes on.

The Miata and 86 manuals have higher take rates than the automatics, and I think that the WRX still does, too. Not sure about FiST and FoST. Porsches don't, but dealers know that a model with a manual appeals to a certain sort of buyer who lacks a bit of sense, and has little supply to choose from.

>most sports-focused cars have a manual option
Ferrari hasn't made manuals since 2009-2010

Ferrari doesn't make sports cars, they make lawn ornament "supercars".
The point of cars like that isn't to have fun while driving it. They're made so professional drivers can get a certain laptime once so a rich person can show off how cool their car is without actually driving it to its potential.

show us where the ferrari touched you

all i can tell you is when i bought my wrx, which really wasn't a good purchase, i offered the guy 3k less than what we "negotiated" he refused said his manager couldn't do it. I told him to have a good day and walked to my car, he came running out of the showroom when i was pulling off to say that his manager approved the deal.

you can negotiate. leverage what you know to get what you want.

walked away from an m3 because i refused to budge. offered the guy the same deal a month later when it was still on his lot and guess what he wanted to get rid of the damn thing.

maybe i'm lucky, but don't go into a deal you know you're getting screwed on.

I honestly think it would be great to force driving tests with manual trans. I know it's not at all feasible, but all the 16yo high schoolers here in US are total shit drivers, it'd be nice if they couldn't use their phone QUITE so easily at first.

But does anyone know a way to make my Golfs 5speed shift better? New metal bushings? Short shift kits?

are e90 any good?
found 2 2006 320d manual ones for 5700 euro
only problem is they are at around 200k km
If they have taken care of it should I do it as a first car? Will it break even if I do regular maintenance and take care of it? Is it unreliable or is it just expensive only when things do break?

>yfw your car is manual only

Continuous transmissions are the future.

I was in a similar situation. Needed a car fast, but knew what I wanted.

Found 3, 2 6MTs and a 7AT with paddles. One MT was in a rear end collision and no information. The other dude was firm at 15k. The 7AT was a 1 owner car with great history, for a good price.

I don't really regret it, the tune I have on it makes the transmission shift fast and at the right times, and blip hard on downshift. """sport/paddle manual mode""" makes the car down right rowdy.

Still looking for a decent s2000 to rebuild though. Best gearbox I've ever put my hands on.

>find great car on CL
>listed as 6 speed manual
>seller confirms it's the manual
>go see the car
>shitty automatic with "manual" shifting

Really frustrating to filter searches when so many retards mislabel transmissions on site like CL

bitches please, people mislabel car models and number of doors in my country

where

>Tfw your picture title says Tumblr in it

Theyre not generally for cooking, theyre for home heating. Funny coincedence that you make a shitty analogy and dont even understand what youre talking about, just the same as every mong that tries to shit on manual doesnt know what theyre talking about

Different user here.
Wood burning stoves are the shit. I live up in norther Virginia and I put one in last year. My heating bill is now practically nothing now and the house stays hot all winter.

In used to live in KY, seems like everyone has a wood stove out in the sticks. Never been more comfy in winter.

Manual:
>sometimes fun
>never convenient

Automatic
>never fun
>always convenient

Literally only disabled people drive autos here. Nobody complains about how hard manual is, even 17 year old Stacies and 90 year old grannies drive manual.

>Manual:
>always fun
>sometimes convenient
I'll fix it this once, but please be careful next time.

For a city, it's only sometimes fun. Gridlock traffic sucks regardless of transmission. And when is it convenient? Not having to shift back and forth when parallel parking, push starts... that's pretty much it

>Not having to shift back and forth when parallel parking
So your automatic has one gear that does both forward and reverse, huh?

>moving stick up one level
>same as clutching and changing gears all the time

kys

Can't tell if dense or just obtuse.

>mfw

I'm referring to parallel parking with a manual, retard. You can just clutch in so your car drifts forward/backward while being in gear to go the opposite direction. And since when are push starts for automatics?

can't tell if samefagging or triggered autotragic fans

>moving stick up one level

>Bitches about doing repetitive task
>Has to do different repetitive task
>Claims victory

Priceless.

one is far simpler and easier, the other is literal manual labor for plebeians

Oh I have to push the clutch pedal. It's sooo difficult! Ugh! Why does life suck so much?! Fuck I hate this! I hate moving my feet! AAAAAAGH!

I'm in favor of manual. People like you were the ones that went to the "reading van" in grade school

Uruguay
people don't know the difference between 4 and 5 or 2 and 3 doors

>the other is literal manual labor
They're both "literal manual labor", dumbfuck

>Oh I have to push the clutch pedal. It's sooo difficult! Ugh! Why does life suck so much?! Fuck I hate this! I hate moving my feet! AAAAAAGH!
literally burger logic lol

Yes manual is fun. Coming from a guy who rides sportbikes it's pretty fun to jump in a manual car and bang out gears but unless your budget is only old junky cars, automatic is the way to go. Auto trans are now faster and you can have the shitty paddle shift option on most nowadays. It's just not economical for manufacturers to make a lot of cars manual.
Not to mention the Euro manufacturers are starting to use dual clutch transmissions which are the fastest of all.

So yeah manual is cool and all but auto is pretty much what everything will be in the future

I'd still prefer manual for the sake of rebuild costs and predictability. Most automatics I've driven after 150000 miles were clunky and lagged - their rebuild costs were also astronomical.

Automatic transmissions are for starbucks drinking apple yahoos

You forgot the brotrucks.

>Not to mention the Euro manufacturers are starting to use dual clutch transmissions which are the fastest of all.

I also forgot fiat wrangler bros

desu those are pretty irrelevant differences. Everyone gets the point even without guessing is the real hatch an odd number extra door or not.

Huehuehue

*rear hatch

actually it sucks a lot, because you're looking for a sedan, put the filters and end up with hatchbacks and filtering sedans

The automatic is totally better because it changes gears a fraction fo a second faster than me (until it breaks) (assuming I wanted to shift right now). It doesn't matter that it's BORING AS FUCK TO DRIVE. It's better.

>are manual transmissions dying out?
yes, at least in the US

pic
fix.com/blog/manual-vs-automatic-transmissions/

>3%
latimes.com/business/autos/laautoshow/la-fi-hy-disappearing-stick-shift-20161115-story.html

>5%
cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-blog/2016/09/why-are-manual-transmissions-disappearing