Veeky Forums, do you park in neutral with handbrake engaged, or in gear without handbrake?

Veeky Forums, do you park in neutral with handbrake engaged, or in gear without handbrake?

Or both (in gear and with the handbrake)

I always park in neutral with handbrake but some people have been telling me I should just leave it in 1st or reverse

My handbrake release is broken, so I have to reach under the dash to actually release it, which is a bit of a hassle.

So, 9/10 times, I just park it in gear.

>parking so that front of car is uphill
Leave in first

>parking so that front of car is downhill
Leave in reverse

>using your hand brake
>ever

These are facts.

Everyone at my work drives really expensive cars, so I usually park in first with the handbrake yanked with the force of a million suns, and my tires pointed so if I do roll, I hit the least expensive car around me.

this is fake news

In Texas you can't legally leave a car unattended without setting the handbrake.

I've always put Manuel in reverse with the e-brake engaged

Capcha: select bus

Keep in mind if you ever live in a cucked area like San Francisco, if you park on a hill, make sure you curb your wheels. If you don't know what that means, look it up. Most places are level enough that you won't ever care.

Had a friend whose YJ Wrangler was rolled into a bunch of cars back in college because some jerkoff decided to pop the car out of gear and release the handbrake while it was on a hill. He did park it there topless, but I fear for my car's life the day someone decides they hate me enough to do that.

Utahfag btw, there's no way to avoid hill parking here.

Parking break and then put shifter in reverse every time

Parking brake only, except on very steep hills. Turn my wheels maximally too.
Wouldn't your transmission get fucked if someone crashed into your car? (except from the side)

i always pull the handbreak i fucking HATE that fucking sway when you get in

Owner had it coming

both

Anything else is wrong

alternative facts

Never realized curbing the wheels was an actual law, always thought people treated it as a suggestion

Handbrake on and in gear.

>Wouldn't your transmission get fucked

Manual: Nope. It'll just turn the engine against compression.
Automatic: Might shear off parking pawl.

But just try parking a modern automatic without putting it in Park. Can't get your key out. Keyless probably just puts it park automatically.

doing both covers your ass, don't get lazy.

just handbrake. if its an extreme hill (quite common where i live) then in reverse/1st

why put it in first? wouldn't it make more sense to put it in the top gear?

No it makes no difference.
You just leave it in first because you're more likely going to be starting off in first.

First and P Brake.

First has a higher gear ratio so the amount of engine "braking" is stronger even at standstill

That's the same reason coasting in 1st gear with no throttle is so jerky, while coasting in 5 or 6 feels like coasting in neutral

The keyless cars I've driven "turn on" the park brake when you hit the engine stop button.

Ok thx, I thought that maybe a large force could fuck some gear teeth, but I'm guessing the tires don't have the grip to put that amount of force on the transmission.
I haven't driven an auto since a traumatic experience with a ford mondeo in the mountains 20 years ago. It couldn't decide between 3rd and 4th gear and eventually died. Although I did keep flooring it on purpose, so it was partly my fault.
(it was a company benefit, I wouldn't buy some half german half turd)