/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

Tavern's edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Beta version available):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Beta: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=98032342284536344486
youtube.com/watch?v=kuLOUufHdaU
s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=63845336008222647111
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>be at nearly 170 dorfs
>only 5 idlers
>want to make a bigger military but no dorfs to spare at the moment
fuck, need migrants

What is the most destructive force?

dorfs and magma

>need
>migrants

>not wanting 60 squads of marksdwarves to gun down anything that moves
>not wanting 100's of haulers
I have 45 dwarven children, which isn't helping.

derp, 6*

a) They're miners, woodcutters or hunters.
b) You've set the to not wear their uniforms off-duty.

Probably the first one.

now one of them LOST HER FUCKING WEAPON somehow

This. Dorfs have equipment issues if you try to make them a miner/hunter/woodcutter that's also in the military. Turn off all jobs when you draft guys into squads, you'll want them training anyway.

Woooo my mod is working a little bit. My civ is showing up where it should and the NPCs are behaving like they are supposed to (for the most part)

Pic related, an example of the species. There is still room for refinement, but I'm making progress.

Does making guys work out in a Dwarven Gym still get them swole?

it's not the first one. how do I do b)?

>I'VE HAD NOTHING BUT CAVE FISH FOR TWO YEARS I'M EATING THIS ONE RAW

Goblin Is Too Strong is pretty funny shit.

pic related

FPS

>down to 35fps
got a ways to go, but feels bad man

the wiki doesn't seem to be very in-depth about how claiming sites/building them works.

how do you retire in a building that you built or hire peasants/companions into being hearthpeople of said hamlet?

will they all stay in the site if you decide to play a fortress over in another part of the world for a year or ten?

what are some of the boons of owning your own land next to a town or goblin pit?

I'm sad that after all these years there is still no kinky mod for dwarf fortress.

SUCCUBUS

DUNGEON

>bondage
>statues
>corruption
>stockings
>whips
>traps
>amazons
>tentacles

Go fucking crazy

I mean, it has crossed my mind. I don't think it is vital, but I'd like that alot.

Still no adventure mode option though the mod is promising.

but you can totally play as a succubus in adventure mode? I do it all the time.

Can I rip out my own teeth in Adventure mode?

I catched a fireball in my mouth...

in .34 there was a mod that put more emphasis on females's varies "assets" that even made the elfs look like a adamantine throne in heat to dwarfs

Is meph the best tileset or something?

the best tileset is whatever you wanna use, it's a singleplayer game

But I also recommend
Phoebus
CLA
Myne
Spacefox

Fuck, how do I kick this diplomat out

The best tileset is anything that's square
Though I personally play with ascii, I use the wanderlust font

On the schedules screen you toggle it with u.

Forgot that some random bowyer hauler nobody had a mood and he just went insane. He's not doing anything crazy yet, but will post an update if he does.

>migrants decide to bring stray animals to zombie funland
I just gotta build a giant "no pets" sign, I'd really rather not have a zombie yak kicking my dwarves' teeth in

So undead human/insect hybrids? Keep me updated.

Also

>Next thing you know I accidentally fantasy bug-themed necromorphs.

This just gave me a blast to the past on my very first mod. I'd share it here but its cringe inducingly bad even though its 100% functional and i cant let anyone know what a retard i used to be.

Where was your last save? If you are completely fucked try seeing if you can "retire" your character. Otherwise you might have to suffer the low fps walk of shame as im out of options myself. (DFhack can apparently be used to give yourself super speed meaning you get to move more often without any lag but im not sure if its permanent)

I'll check this in the morning for you and provide you with more help, for now i recommend checking the errorlog.txt file.
(Might wanna remove all of its contents, load up dwarf fortress and start up arena and close right afterwards if you've played for a long time)

If you can properly wall him in you could use him as target practice for your dwarves.
Alternatively catch a mega/forgotten beast and have them fight eachother.
My bet's on colossus

Pre-nerf giant undead sponge, alternatively kea-man vampire necromancer.

Introduce the pets to the fun of magma

the answer to all of these is lava

do humans send diplomats?

my civilizations screen show'd em in my general area but so far after two years they haven't sent any traders or anything ;_;

Could be because your fort pop or wealth is too small or that the human civ has been wiped without you knowing while you were playing.

Do dorfs using screw pumps still happily pump away until they die of thirst, or was that bug fixed?

Have you been promoted to a barony? The humans' diplomat is the law-giver, their civ's monarch. They're not braving the wilds to sit down with a mayor.

Hasn't been a thing for years.

Ok just making sure, I have guys working out in my gym getting really thirsty, i'll keep an eye on them just in case. Thanks.

Some dwarves' personality traits incline them to work for longer or shorter periods of time after their needs start flashing. They'll stop for a drink eventually. If you have a lot of idlers you might even catch dwarves bringing your pumpers water.

As an aside, pump gyms are a much less efficient way to train attributes than normal military training. Attributes increase with skill gains, and military training increases a lot of skills at once as opposed to pumping, which only increases pump operator.

Vector Curses is the best, that graphics set meph put their name on is from a couple of different artists.

It isn't my taste at all though, so I'd say the best graphics set is CLA hands down.

Thanks for the tips about the water/needs.

Yea I know pump gyms are kind of inefficient, but I like adding areas to my fortress for flavour, like Colosseums n such. I'm really glad that temples, libraries and inns got implemented. I'm gunna get around to looking in the legends and find which diety would be appropriate for a God of Fitness for my dwarves to worship while pumping iron.

Strength, Health, Youth, Beauty, Power, Labor.

I captured a paedo in a cage, it's my first playthrough, how can I fuck this guy over?

this is my new favorite gif

Hah, yeah, I saw the pic Shook made and slapped that together.

You could leave him in the cage. Or drop it in magma. Hell, you could sell him to a caravan if you want. Since he's in a wood cage you can't sell him to elves, which would be the ultimate insult, but selling him to humans would be pretty mean I guess.

>metropolis status
>10000 dwarf bucks in offerings to the mountain home
>exports larger than imports

But

>tfw every time the outpost liaison arrives with the Dwarven caravan he never meets or speaks with the mayor

Wait you can sell people?

So the next update adds in artifact quests for both fortress mode and Adventure mode, is there any other details I missed?

All right so my race mod is fucky again. I want the species to be represented by á and specified as such in the raws but they're being represented by this german symbol for choking your lungs out that I've forgotten the name of.

What should I do with this, anyone?

>use it in a weapon trap in a noble's room to improve value and for good thoughts
>put it in a weapon trap in a vault with your other artifacts (you have a solid-gold artifact vault, right?)
>put it on display in a weapon trap in the middle of your dining room/statue garden/temple/library/inn for everyone to admire and get good thoughts from
>use it in an actual weapon trap in case you get a Were-something try to get into your fort

>damn, this is the end, about to be sliced in half by that giant axe blade
>but god damn that thing is fucking gorgeous

actually nevermind, fort is about to be retired do to an extra !FUN! weregoat, it's a fookin epidemic.

On it is an image of a toad and dead dwarves, the toad is laughing.

>builds artifact giant axe blade
>fortress collapses
>screencap is the axe in a pool of blood
>pile of corpses in the background
You've created a cursed superweapon user. Keep the fort alive, divide the population between the cursed and the untainted in separate halves of the fort, create a temple in the Doomed Weapon's honor.

Anyone got tips for minecarts?

It's gonna take a while, I have two healthy dwarves left and one weregoat expedition leader which i've stationed on the other side of the map and raised the drawbridge.
Actually feasible to do a solid gold vault, the only ores i have are Tetrahedrite, platinum and gold.

[CASTE_TILE:160] should be á isn't it?

Don't wipe out.

last two digits decides amount of dwarves i take with DFhack's startdwarf command.
if the third and last digit match, i add 100.

Seriously though, can I sell people? This is crucial information I need to know before I embark on my quest to build a breeding slave fort where I pump out dwarf babies as fast as possible before selling them to caravans for mad dosh.

Or is there a more efficient way to go about it? I figured if I had a sort of breeding pit set up where the designated slaves would mill around and produce the product, entirely separate from the rest of the fort, I could sell their spawn with little trouble since the only people that would be upset would be stuck in the pit.

>[CASTE_TILE:160] should be á isn't it?

All right that fixed it. Next order of business is to figure out how to make all the castes look unique, because man that is shaping up to be a bitch.

That's a caste tile not a creature tile.

Well I mean, it still worked.

>decide to do terrifying embark
>get 4 macedwarfs, figure I might run into some zombies
>LITTLE DID I KNOW
>embark, strike the earth!
>dig stockpile, start building a lodging/meeting area

AN UNHOLY FOG APPEARS

>oh shit everyone inside
>OH FUCK
>TOO LATE
>mason is turned into a zombie
>slaughters everything
>try to barricade carpenter in the stockpile as last macedwarf bleeds out
>instead, he charges out and gets murdered
>order macedwarf to attack in a last-ditch effort
>easily killed

Welp, that was quick. Less than 10 minutes, I think.

sounded like fun user.

whew:
Magnetite for the iron ore along with flux layer marble, BOTH fire clay and regular clay plus sand, and even fucking tin ore with tetrahedrite. The Nickel is a nice addition too.
Oh, and actual diamonds from kimberlite veins. A whopping SIX red diamonds as prospect tells me. Three adamantine veins.
Sure there's an aquifer but due to erosion along the river there's exposed stone so i have an easy in for the starting fortress entry.

Of course i generated the world with an extinct dwarf civ, by using hundreds of megabeasts and titans... With an attack requirement of just 1 population. This will be fun.

Yeah but I mean you can just use different tiles for each caste.

How do I make text and game tabs smaller? I'm using a 24x24 tileset and it makes everything look fat. What used to be a 1 page Dwarf description is now all disjointed and fucked up because I have to scroll down through it. Same with the trading screen.

Oh, right. I might try that out then.

I think I'll do a haunted glacier next.

Ctrl minus?

I think there are four actual creatures in this screenshot and all the variation is from castes and caste tiles.

> using a fuck-huge tileset
> expecting things to go well

the best you can do is run your monitor with a maximum allowed resolution, and then run DF in windowed mode and maximize the window size.

it's the trade-off of a large tileset, just like the trade-off of the "X" character being used for both up/down staircases and bins.
if it's too fucked, use a smaller tileset or buy a bigger/better monitor and graphics card to support a higher screen resolution. (which will make your large tileset look small, and cause you to use a 32x32 tileset, which...)

All right, I've integrated different caste symbols to the mod.

Then where's a 12x12 or 16x16 tileset which is basically just vanilla ASCII but not dogshit?

Wanderlust

Don't use Meph's, it's known to cause crashes. Pretty much fucked my fort, I've had to go to monthly autosaves because it will freeze without warning and Adventure mode is unplayable because it crashes every time I sleep.

CLA is bretty gud tho

s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=98032342284536344486

I made a lot of changes to the race but I dunno if I'm doing everything right. For some reason one of the casts has 2 of every body part, and all of them are female. Also, there's a caste called "nothing" that does have both genders but I have no idea what the fuck its doing there.

*castes

Also I forgot to mention; eye, hair, and body colors are also messed up. Like I want the color range to be black, white, grey, light grey, and dark grey, but only white and black show up on the NPCs.

Tavern is what!??

ninja dwarfs?

turtlemen/woman are already a thing!

youtube.com/watch?v=kuLOUufHdaU

Yeah, you can sell caged sentients so long as they aren't hostile. It's a cheaty favorite method of disposing of excess children. The only trick is getting them into cage traps. Best method is getting them on a retracting bridge over a roomful of cage traps. Pull the lever, they hit the traps stunned, and bam, you've got a dwarfling cage.

All right, time for a slave fort

I'm no fan of meph or his "work", but tilesets don't cause crashes. They're just arrangements of pixels, and no arrangement of pixels is more or less likely to make the game crash than any other. Your problem is probably TWBT, the adv mode crash you're describing is well known crash that it causes, and it's notoriously unstable in fort mode as well. Unless you think "meph's" tileset is synonymous with masterwork. Masterwork is also notoriously crashy, and uses the tileset by default, but isn't the same thing.

Are you still here user? I can now help you with your mod if you upload the txt file somewhere.
Otherwise i'll go with the file you uploaded earlier

That's the most recent stuff. I did manage to get the caste bits working though.

>inb4 someone makes langford's parrot in df and crashes the user

I hope they ever add creepers and guns to df haha :p

take this

I uploaded your earlier creature_manat.txt file with notes on everything here.

s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=63845336008222647111

I recommend giving it a read and fixing/changing anything that hasnt been changed with your current version.

All right. I gotta sleep now but I'll definitely look this over and change stuff in the morning. Thanks for the help.

Happy to help!

Forgot to add that if you are using any of the alternative stuff, replace ( and ) with [ and ]
but i think thats obvious enough.

DORFD.com