/rlg/ - Roguelike General

MuMo edition
Let's all cheer for spicerack who is currently only one rune away from being enshrined as the 5th pharoah!

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34 (embed) (embed) (embed)
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu (embed) (embed) (embed)

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Infra Arcana on Windows:
pastebin.com/S761eT4B (embed) (embed) (embed)

>PCB challenge
Leprechaun monster race
angband.oook.cz/competition.php

Disappeared into a ziggurat never to be seen again:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6ZgYe5FU1eI?t=738
github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/master/crawl-ref/docs/options_guide.txt#L750
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Through weary words and ponderous wanderings, you will walk to world's end. Your gaze will be drawn back at the path; the trials and tribulations of the ages that were broken before you. Feel not the triumph, the fervor of nostalgia. For that will be your undoing. Only eyes forward can perceive; the true danger lies within.

>Musings of the Pharaoh; of Akrasia and Avarice

> (embed) (embed) (embed)

there were so many already that i'd just feel bad leaving them behind at this point

> (embed) (embed) (embed)
OOPS I DID IT AGAIN
I PLAYED WITH YOUR HEART
GOT LOST IN THE GAME
OH BABY BABY

i click on ember but it doesn't work
halp plz

I'm usually a kind person but:

dumb animeposter

>come back to this thread in 6 months, the (embed)s will have taken over

:(

he's not just a dumb animeposter, but an akarinposter. please keep up, terminology and nomenclature are what keeps this whole system going.

>Loli bukkake
anonymous, this is a blue board.

my other gf is a loli

Rack man died I thought
What do you mean one rune away

dont worry, is ok

HE'S JUST PLAYING WITH YOUR HEART
MAKES YOU THINK HE'S IN LOVE
THAT HE'S SENT FROM ABOVE
BUT HE'S NOT THAT INNOCENT

Nobody knows what the embedded man meant
he is merely a vessel for the embeds
his words don't mean nothing
like the fact there was a fourth pharaoh
there's only three pharaohs
three

When you think about it, isn't it kind of superfluous to put "drunken" in front of "pole"?

i have played nothing but elona/dcss/doomrl so far, what's the next step to decasualize myself?
possibly with tiles or pretend ascii like infra arcana because i dont have enough autism to go characters only yet

Dark Souls 1, NG+7, SL1, fists only

spoilerless NetHack using American Standard Code (for) Information Interchange is the greatest roguelike experience known to mankind

>pretend ascii
but ia has real ascii

Infra arcana is bretty good. Demon too. Cataclysm DDA is fun if you want to get cozy.

throw ruks

lift ruks

FLOAT LIKE A BUTTERFLY
STING LIKE A BUTTERFLY

Sup my niggas

Hello my friends!

Whatever happened to awooposter, anyway

Without awoo, these threads feel empty

my other bow is a harp

Just play DCSS via console. It's easy as pie.

janitors started deleting his posts

i'm starting to think we have ourselves a problem
...a meme problem

So if I win minotaur mumo I'll get in the mumo picture right

which rouge like lets me play as lina the slayer and cast dragon slave and ragna blade

can someone explain me what's happening here? why is he literally farming by wishing
youtu.be/6ZgYe5FU1eI?t=738

there are some very well done erotic pictures of lina from slayers if you're interested but this is the roguelike general so we only have roguelikes here

dota

he has a notepad open it seems like a nethacker
don't watch it or you'll get a computer virus

no thats a completely different character who totally isnt copyrightviolated from anime

i want to play as the anime girl

I'm playing angband for the first time after playing lots of dcss.

How does line or sight work in this game? Are there certain rooms which are lit, else I only reveal tiles adjacent to me? Also enemies are popping out of nowhere. I assume this is because I need more detection or some way to beat their stealth.

You have the gist of the light situation. Also, note that the Angband stealth checks determine your distance from a monster by checking for the shortest line between you and it, while ignoring walls.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(inhales)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh spicerack you don't know how happy you've made me!

dota

some rooms are light
near the future most will be but later on more will be dark
hallways pretty much always start off dark unless/until you magically light them
your starting torch only has 1 light radius so you won't be able to see shit in dark corridors until it's right next to you. upgrade to a lantern ASAP
also pick a race other than human so you can get infravision, which lets you see creatures a few squares outside of your light radius as long as they're warm-blooded

Also there are no unaware monsters. They are either asleep or know your position.

i cant go back to that game
i only have 1500 Match Making Rating points left
what if i run out

>How does line or sight work in this game?

If you have enhanced infravision, you can see pretty far, but otherwise, you can only see a little bit past your light source if you're playing a non-human.

Certain rooms are lit upon entrance (usually in the first few floors). Other areas are "rooms" and can be lit up with an ___ of Light (rod, scroll, wand, magic, etc.). And then there are open areas that can't be lit up, except via Enlightenment.

You have a Stealth level (check it on your character sheet with "C"). At least for the first dozen or so floors, it shouldn't matter too much: you can just walk away from most things.

how did you guys get into roguelikes?
i remember there was one issue of pcgamer that had zangband on the disk with an article of some guy talking about it and how once he died by starvation because one monster was perpetually paralyzing him but he kept outhealing the damage

Step 1: Download a roguelike.
Step 2: Click on the application.
Step 3: Play the game.

there was a pet store across the street that was run by the husband of a waitress that worked at my dad's restaurant, and he had a Macintosh with Rogue installed on it. i'm fuckin' old.

it's not a roguelike, though, oh well

maybe ask the elona thread in /jp/, there are more players there than here

i think i played dorffort badly at first and moved on to playing nethack badly from there

>Cerebovs quaffs a pot of might
Why is this allowed

I was looking into genres of RPGs on Wikipedia, and I saw roguelikes listed, which I never heard of before.

I played a little bit of DCSS, never getting very far, for about a few hours and then forgot about it for a year.

I did the same thing again (looking for new RPGs to play after being burnt out on the series I was playing before) and, once again, tried my hand at DCSS. Looked more spoilers and tried to seriously get deeper into the game: I was also more aware that Veeky Forums had a general for almost every genre, so I found /rlg/ too. Played it a bit more, got a couple of wins, and expanded my horizons.

Introduced to IVAN in HSG back in 2010

Veeky Forums thread about DCSS 0.5.

tch, you missed the Veeky Forums thread about the 0.3.4 tiles prerelease? fukken casual.

it's okay hun i have fourty four hundo (4-4-100), i can loan you some

>doomrl
fuck you for reminding me it's forever dead and the project that killed it is still never ever status

Somehow Moria appeared in my house (honestly don't remember how) and it was the most interesting thing that ran on my hand-me-down 286.

Crawler is turned into a pillar of salt by his own wrath!

I wonder how many times that guy has won.

>For an example, let's take mountain dwarves.
Stopped reading right there.

Play IVAN and embrace the inevitability of death, and know that death is the only choice you make.

>fun
Stopped reading right there.

Why does autoexplore constantly moves over dead bodies after killing the enemy?
Any way to remove that?

You realize that since he's actually a good player, he can do this any time he feels like, right?

Wasn't there an update on that some months ago with a website and everything?

Became aware of the term because into vidya, played brogue (i think) for the first time in 2010ish on a computer in a Linux class, played for about a minute, died and said fuck that stupid ascii graphics crap
Found /rlg/ somehow in 2015 when I had a shitty computer and was looking up games that I could play without melting it
Downloaded almost the whole list of games in the copypasta and got hooked, have to go on a binge every couple of months. Glad to see /rlg/ is always here for a comfy thread

>Why does autoexplore constantly moves over dead bodies after killing the enemy?

Enemies might drop rings and scrolls. which you wouldn't see if you're just constantly pressing o.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

And you keep doing your best too user!

you can only see the top item of a pile without walking onto it

Is there a way of stopping that and making it only stop for actual autopickup items?
Like how you do Vaults 5 and spend 1000 turns checking over every guardian corpse over the entrance despite them not having any autopickup

github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/master/crawl-ref/docs/options_guide.txt#L750

I guess you'd want to put the line:

explore_stop -= greedy_visited_item_stack

In your rcfile.

Thanks, I'll try
What I mean is making it so you don't stop over item stacks and basically anything that's not autopickup

Oh that...

One of the features of Elona is that players can share levels they've made online, and this includes originally made content like monster species (that could also be used as player pets). You use player properties in game, like your castle or your basement or your storage house, and put stuff in it, and then upload it and then other people can enter moon rune gates and try to beat the little dungeon you made or the little quest or whatever or get splattered by your unkillable super boss and her two little sister sidekicks who throw 8000 badpotions for every turn you get.

This person made a mass monster, which is a monster which makes copies of itself when you hit it, and programmed it to retaliate with Wish when it's attacked, which usually also kills the monster itself with mana overcasting.

I've been to that room myself, you can probably still go there too, if you're connected to the internet and can figure out which string of incomprehensible broken text corresponds to that room when you use the moon rune gate.

It's interesting to try just to figure out the game's artefact generation or what things you should wish for if you get a wish, but as you might imagine it also completely ruins the game.

Just get your wishes from wands and wishing wells and good old fashioned magic studying and you'll appreciate it a lot more when you do.

>not auto sacrificing corpses

I was under the impression that the regular elona servers are down, and with them went the moongates.

can i set autoexplore to autovictorydance for me? it's a real pain zapping the wall with magic missile manually

Sure, he just wasn't trying hard enough. All he has to do is try harder, and get an early large shield, and get rf++++ from arty gear. It's a cinch!

Auspicious.

You don't "win" a roguelike

The only winning move is not to play

This is from a movie hahah, its refrencing tic tac toe

How obscure!

>friends are over at apartment
>I get back home from classes
>friends playing game on el boardo grande (tv)
>I'm watching some tiles move around
>read text
>Xom is getting BORED
>Watch friend get teleported into a bunch of enemies
>Dies

And that's how I started.

Then again, I ate shit after reaching Z:$ two times with MuCK. Third time's the charm, though.

Interesting.

>janitors started deleting his posts

janitor has never once deleted awoo

You wouldn't know if he did, that's the trouble. Awoo could be dead and we'd never know...

Newbie to stone soup here, been a while since I checked spell book, now I just did and why the fuck suddenly everything is super hard to learn?

what's going on

/v/ was going apeshit over Nethack and DCSS back in late 2007

I tagged along like a good sheep and found that they were both pretty fon

Yea Mara is a bitch

Is restoration kosher on a mumo?

I don't think you can play the game by just clicking the application

There is no chance to learn anymore, thats just your chance to cast it if you learnt it

>You wouldn't know if he did, that's the trouble.

yes i would

you must be a wearer of silk before you can cast anything

>not playing the tutorial

immediate fault

Body armour (and shields) encumber you. Encumbrance rating has an exponential effect on spell rates, so you really can't wear more a ring mail if you want your success rates to be manageable.

You can always learn memorize spells, even if they're in the red like on your screen. But *casting* the spell is a different story, and with high failure rates, you're very likely to cause some seriously bad things to happen to you.

you literally don't know what's in the item stacks until you look at them