Do you like that touch displays take over cars?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00XMT237Y
youtube.com/watch?v=g_IXpgrQpBU
snapguide.com/guides/fix-the-touchscreen-in-a-lexus-is350/
youtube.com/watch?v=_ADQRgXpxZk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no. very uncomfy since 50% of my driving is done in the dark.

Touch screens are cancer in cars, Mercedes COMAND is still the best infotainment control scheme

Why the FUCK does DeMeme try to light up the display?

He tackles the issues no other reviewer dares to

I dont care, I dont buy cars that are made after 2000

t.poor

red or blue lighting accents are the ONLY way to drive in the dark.

find a comfier interior than this (sans the memefotainment screen).

call it whatever you want
it doesnt matter in the end though

red just makes you unnecessarily aggressive

That's why it's mainly in sporty vehicles, whereas blue goes in luxurious vehicles.

Pretty clever.

Touchscreens aren't a problem. Touchscreens that provide no alternative for control other than the touchscreen are.

I'm not a fan of Acura/Honda's navigation wheel shit and I dislike what Ford did with MyFord Touch either. Give me real buttons with tactility for the radio and climate controls, and you can delegate some less frequently used controls to touch.

I think that from a design perspective, the "glued on iPad look" is fucking atrocious (looking at you Mercedes and Tesla) and I think that the Model S and Model 3 are cardinal sins.

>Model S for lack of real controls + iPad glued on look

>Tesla Model 3 for same plus THERE'S NO TRADITIONAL SPEEDO OR HUD

Fuck no. Touchscreen in my Lexus just failed, so now I can't access nav or change the radio station. Who thought this shit was a good idea?

>audi
>manly

>what is reading comprehension

holy shit

mainly, not manly

Also I drive 1999 car, so I dont know, what is great about touchscreen. I can operate everything with winter gloves..

OK, navigation without t.s. would be useless. Great thing in new cars is anti-collision breaking, so you wont wreck your car while you operating infotainment.

Cuz you still like throttle body injection or sompthin?

I like having a full-featured computer, even IF it's gimped into being a tablet.
However, I'd prefer to have haptic feedback. Maybe a thumbstick or a D-pad.

What's wrong with white? Goes well with nightvision, and lets my brain pick which vision to use. Unlike the hellish yellow glow of old street lights that are thankfully being replaced with white LED ones.

Lmao. They're quoting me $6k for a new one and $2k for refurbished.
>brb killing myself

what car and what's the part that failed?
is it the touchscreen display (where it powers on/shows something but the brains function) or the "brain" of the system that drives the display?

just put an aftermarket headunit and a phone-stand and use waze.

I'm not ruining my Lexus with some Kenwood bullshit lol

What year is your Lexus again?

Eh, an aftermarket radio can look pretty good. Unless you have manual A/C controls like my brother which gives you the
> :O
look. And certain aftermarket radios look pretty damn nice with some nice functionality (e.g. Apple Carplay).

2007 IS350. The screen displays everything like normal, but doesn't respond at all when I press on things. Found some YouTube fixes that require me to tear apart my interior, but not really trying to do that.

Wouldn't the navigation be outdated as fuck anyways? Why not just go for the cheaper alternative like Waze?

Or are you a proto-jew?

I do use my phone to navigate, but that doesn't mean I'm cool with having the whole infotainment system in my car bricked. It's nice to have everything working.

amazon.com/dp/B00XMT237Y
You have two options (replacing with a third party stereo is not one of them). Well, option 3 is leaving shit broken.
1) Go to Lexus and spend $2K refurbished (probably plus labor) to get it repaired.

2) Buy a third party digitizer and then either install it yourself (estimated time four hours) or pay someone to do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=g_IXpgrQpBU

Ah, understandable.

Fuck no, I perfectly fine with the 8 inch screen in mine. Why would I need a screen that big for?

here
I forgot, under the related items to my Amazon pic there are silver conductive pens. Instead of trying to REPLACE the digitizer first, you could see if using the pen repairs the trace.
snapguide.com/guides/fix-the-touchscreen-in-a-lexus-is350/

here
IS 250, 300, 350 in that model year use the same digitizer, assuming it's touchscreen with navigation

Again... Who the fuck thought this was a good idea? Having so much of the controls implemented into the screen with no backup... Just retarded.

Theoretically, a touchscreen could be more reliable, due to a lack of moving parts. Unfortunately, the ribbon connector that connects the digitizer to the rest of the car is very fragile. This is something that has plagued control panels in devices and charging ports/volume & power buttons on smartphones. It's not really the fact that they decided to use a touchscreen but how they chose to do it.

Putting Luxury shit at pants on head pricing is unfortunately common. Services and parts costs are frequently 3x more for luxury cars than the same non-luxury cars they're based on, even if the part being replaced is no more premium than the "standard" model.

And I just got done having the dashboard + door panels replaced in this piece of shit. Luxury... HAH

No, I hate it.
I drove a rented 308 last year while my car was at the garage. Practically every fonction of the car (from cruise control to AC, radio and co) is controlled by the touchscreen. They couldn't have put a knob for the AC temperature control, oh no ! It's much more funny to set the temperature by pressing a lot of time the "+" button that increment the temperature by half a degree C at a time !
Also the latest moron who rented that 308 had the funny idea to change the blinkers sound to some midi BS elevator tier music and I had to park, open up the user manual and navigate for several minutes into the very unergonomic touchscreen menus before I found the option to change it back to the classic sound of relays.
To conclude, touchscreen are impractical (and dangerous since you can't watch the road while operating it, contrarely to your usual knob) and if the thing goes out, congratulations, you've lost control of all your car functions outside of "basic" driving.

red is hard to read
blue destroys your night vision
I prefer green or ember/orange.

really dimmed white light instruments are the comfiest for me

>I prefer green

Patrician taste.

>not just orange

Well aren`t you a snowflake.

front lit is best lit.

fuckin trumpkins

>White light
>Good for night vision

it was her turn!!!111 :((

Are you retarded? Red light has the least effect on your night vision and doesn't strain your eyes nearly as much.

I like whatever the dealer tells me is the hot new thing to have.

>white light
>night vision

My flying instructor has literally failed people on night flying exams for bringing traditional flashlights into the cockpit instead of a red flashlight.

BMW iDrive would like a word with you.

Anything that isn't colored red or orange doesn't belong in a dash.

Fucks with your vision at night

amber is better

Oh my god, that's not why hes making fun of you.
Nobody gives a shit about Hillary Clinton.

I am ok with it, but having three touching displays are a bit extreme.

Why is the E30 so perfect?

How can you say this? Are you sexist?

someone is going to make a fortune on a screen repair service.

but knowing tesla they'll probably make it where you have to take it to them.

i hate new cars if this is where we're headed.

he is a demonstero

>all those buttons
That's like a full keyboard on the console and steering wheel.

I drive a car with digital everything including tacho speedo etc. The other day I received a message "Overtemp alarm" and the entire dash shut down. I could still drive, just had no way to control air con, see what speed I was doing, temp of the car, indicators, etc etc.

Not very fuckin impressed, and it was only 34degrees (93 in burgertemp)

Considering it gets in the low 40s in summertime, I'm hoping someone crashes into me before then

No, I hate it. I like clean and dark interiors with only bare necessities, analog. Something about new technologies and car aesthetics throws me off driving, big time.

My car has all the touchscreen doodad hoosiewhats and bullshit but you can simply choose to turn it off. Does that shit your fancies any better?

So I found a video showing what's going on with the screen in my IS350. The guy ends up tearing apart his interior and fiddling with some shit to fix it.

youtube.com/watch?v=_ADQRgXpxZk

I can't even get to my nav though, as it's stuck on that stupid legal screen
>i agree not to be distracted while driving blablabla click "I agree"

To find out more, click the link to article on auto trader slash oversteer

I find your broken English adorable

you also don't need everything to be light up
i hope you can dimm this shit

No, the mere presence of a touch screen in the car dash throws me off. I am a feel driver, my car is my zen temple. Any sort of driver aid kills my will to drive too.

Moi aussi.

Touchscreens are a far less ergonomic way to interface with anything than buttons, knobs, and switches. They're fine for smartphones because there's no other practical option, but on a car's dashboard where you've got all the space in the world, it's fucking retarded to put everything on a touchscreen. Absolutely hate it.

You can go later than 2000, Ernst. My 2013 Miat doesn't have any faggot electronics in the cabin.

No. Touch screens are god-awful. No matter how much you wash your hands it gets covered in smudges and fingerprints, and there is no haptic feedback so you must look while you operate it. Plus, any condensation or moisture makes touch screens flip the fuck out and become very inaccurate at best, detecting false inputs and shit.

Touch screens are shit and I wish normies didn't like them because then they wouldn't be fucking everywhere.

How fucking bright do you think dashboard lights are? They're dim glowy things that just indicate where the buttons are. It's not a super-bright LED in each one.
Also? It's not fucking flying. It is a car. It sits on wheels.

Controls that require the driver to take the eyes off the road to be used are never a good idea. makes a good point

You're an idiot

Physical volume knob > Touch

No. No tactile feedback. I can't feel for a button. I have to take my eyes off the road and look at the screen to get something done.

Touchscreens will be glitchy as fuck and look horrible in 5 years

There's going to be a whole generation of used cars that have shitty ass touch screens. Imagine that.

And they'll all have some Apple/Android CarPlay bullshit so the feds can track your every move. Wanna run from the cops? Nah, we'll just remotely shut your engine off.
>muh freedom

>How fucking bright do you think dashboard lights are? They're dim glowy things that just indicate where the buttons are. It's not a super-bright LED in each one.
I beg to differ in today's world of touchscreens...

>Also? It's not fucking flying. It is a car. It sits on wheels.
Not the point. What works in a plane works just the same in a car. We were calling you out on your statement that white light is good for night vision.

Don't let us start on your "[the white light] lets my brain pick which vision to use" statement...

4 way/ok on left side control screen left of speedo
4 way/ok on right side control screen right of speedo
controls on bottom left are cruise control
controls on bottom right are radio volume/skip and forward tracks/mute and voice commands

I have another control (dial for my HUD, pic related) strapped to the steering wheel now too. honestly I prefer having more steering wheel controls to less, because it means I have to move my hands off the steering wheel less to control things.

Apple Carplay and Android Auto are basically mechanisms for your phone to take control of your car display. With a GPS enabled smartphone there's nothing to prevent them from tracking the phone already, connected to the radio or not. And it's doubtful that Google or automakers are going to want the ability of the phones to send meaningful messages to the CAN-BUS of the car, because it would be a liability nightmare for both.

>find a comfier interior than this

Ok

I loved the digital dash in my mother's Lincoln Town car as a kid

Does your car have no headlight? What is this night vision shit?

I also loved your moms dash, if you know what I mean

So you had sex with his mother?

Good luck finding anything without cameras, GPS tracking devices, and microphones at this point in time.

Did you know that in Russia it's now mandatory to put a satellite tracking device in every car regardless of year of manufacture, or you can't register it?

No, he had sex with Rainbow Dash

I want to punch that fucking faggot in his smug fucking face

Then gut it out and put a delete panel in you fuck.

*plunges you from behind*

heh, nothing personel my dude

and now, the dougscore...

I didn't watch this one
WTF is he doing?
Demonstrating how hard it is to install an aftermarket double din system?

it's a video literally about how shit the X is