This engine is shit

This engine is shit.

Post other shit engines.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_engine
twitter.com/AnonBabble

God damn the shitters are hyperactive tonight.

Barra straight 6.

Makes less power with a turbo than aLS can make naturally aspirated.
Heavy as fuck.
Long as fuck.
Tiny, useless displacement.
Lol turbo lag to get modern power.

The Porsche Flat 6 is right behind it.

Stolen Recaros told me the 3400 was much better and can actually be considered a decent engine?
also
>inb4 cheeky cunts posting engines they don't like as being "shit"

Mrcummy put your trip back on

>inb4 buttmad weeb posts an LS

This motherfucker is THE biggest pain in the ass to work on.

Ford Kent engine

That engine is fine
The worst is the 2.7l Chrysler v6

>twin cam V6
>lumina
when did this happen? were they fast?

GM 90 degree V6s after the second generation were just terrible. My Dad has a 1999 Malibu that cracked the block of it's fucking L82 THREE TIMES. ONCE, HE REPLACED IT. TWICE, HE REPLACED IT. THREE TIMES? HE JUNKED THE FUCKER.

I suggested he hunt down something else to mate to the 4T40 like an L81 out of a Saab or something but he just snapped. He actually took care of it and oiled it and kept good gaskets and it still fucking overheated and busted. He later got a Beretta whose motor is built on the same exact architecture but it never gave him a problem.

It is it's got a proper firing order, 60° V6 that made about 215hp in it's latest trim and takes boost like crazy, that helave a decent sound when being tossed around

LQ1, made about 215hp/220tq
GM basically redesigned a pushrod block to accommodate a set of DOHC heads, wackyness ensues

Last generation Saab H engine, if you loved oil sludge, changing piston rings and driving around in a cloud of smoke, this was the engine for you,

more than 1 air? holy shit

Lol

The LQ1 V6. They took a 3.1L pushrod V6 from a normal Lumina, bored it out to 3.4L, gave it a set of high flowing, free revving DOHC 4 valve per cylinder heads.
They made great power and they screamed like a banshee to a high 7000 RPM redline.
But when shit broke, they were a bitch to work on. Just replacing the alternator is an 8 hour job.
>were they fast?
for the time. If you managed to grab one with the rare 5 speed manual, you could do a 1/4 mile in 15 seconds flat. automatics did 15.5 on average.
Bottom line: cobbled together, made a great noise, went like stink, shit to work on

This shit. I don't understand why everyone with a hemi doesn't just do an ls swap.

DELET

it is though
>overweight
>fucks up weight balance
One of the lead engineers for the Skyline HATED the engine for those reasons and wanted to switch to a V6 as early as the R33. The reason they didn't wasn't because it was a bad decision, but because it simply would've cost too much to re-engineer the chassis to fit a V6.
That's why when given the choice of engines on the new V35, they dropped that I6 like a hot potato and embraced the V6 with love.

>changing the alternator is an 8 hour job

what. I replaced mine in my z34 in like 2 hours.

if you take it to any shop, the labor charge is 8 hours.

BTW, 2 hours is still horrendous for changing an alternator. It should be half an hour at most.

>skyrim engine
le arrow in the knee xd

Put your trip back on recaros

worst engine ever made, almost as bad as the jz series.

Actually a pretty good idea. If this thing was made by a reliable manufacturer (not FCA), it might even be a great engine.

Because why would you put a GM motor into a Mopar? Sure, 2nd gen Hemis are bad at performance, but an LS makes no sense there when the 3rd gen Hemi exists.

The are only three reasons to go with a 2nd gen Hemi:
>Originality
>Emulating a classic muscle car
>You need 2000+ hp
For anything else, a regular wedge, or hell, even an LA small block will probably do the job just fine.

>bait.jpg

Shit bait

If it says maxxforce it's garbage. A marine engine adapted for trucks with a shitty emissions reduction platform thrown on. Everything about these engines is garbage. They only made about 200 of the 15l, of the first 100 99 of them failed testing and one blew up one the dyno. The 6.7s are even worse, often being crammed into the smallest chassis possible with no access and prone to stupid levels of failure. Only the 13l engines are somewhat tolerable, aside from the propensity of the egr coolers to blow out and the water pump to eat the gear housing, requiring about 20 hours of work to fix the fucking thing.

What does the car brand have to do with engine swaps? The LS1 is way better than a 426 hemi.

If it's diesel engines we are talking about, it is hard to forget that VM made the worst of them. Not good even for a boat.
Head gasket failure? Check
Imminent failure if you dare go past 2500 rpm? Check
Starting issues? Check
Poor performance? Check (seriously, who uses a floating turbo in a car engine?)

Not a fucking redeeming feature, I swear.

It's still an engineering marvel compared to this massive piece of shit. A gas engine converted to a diesel, wew.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Diesel_engine

Pic related

You'd best not be >implying that all boxers are shit

But it's just fine desu

why didn't they just use the 3.0L from the taurus ;_;

What the fuck even is multi air technology

SOHC ones were okay. You could actually change the sparkplugs without pulling the engine.

That oil filter is actually surrounded by a catalytic converter. Good times.

Actually the 2.5L SVT variant had much better heads than the 3.0L. fans of the Contour SVT will swap in a 3.0L from a Taurus, then use the heads from the 2.5L to make more power

Pic related was so horrendously unreliable, even by VW standards, that it got canned after one single generation.

Barra weighs less than an RB26
It's as short as a 4L I6 can be
>4L is a small displacement
Turbo Barra engines can put out 500bhp+ with a turbo and upgraded valve springs

Honestly, i used to hate this engine. But it's reliable as fuck and very capable of producing insane power figures.

>It's as short as a 4L I6 can be
because it has an extreme undersquare design, so it can't rev for shit.

SOHC ones were the headgasket destroying era.

Why would it need to rev? It's a huge displacement. All the torque is delivered early in the rev range.

The 3800 is one of the greatest engine designed 80 years ago. If you want to post shit engine you should have posted this one.

The Shortstar? Can I have what you're smoking?

2.5 or 2.2?

The shitstar

>claims the 3800 is good
>posts the engine that was to replace the 3800 in its place
The Shortstar was more expensive to manufacture. That's the only reason it didn't catch on.

Any good, fun engine needs the ability to rev quickly. That's why people prefer oversquare engines. Take your undersquare-loving ass down to the depths at the bottom of the sea where you belong.

But B series Hondas are undersquare, user. Some of them revved to 9k.

B-series Hondas are oversquare.
Oversquare: Big bore, small stroke
Undersquare: Small bore, big stroke.

You can't lie your way out of this.

>B series
>undersquare

Even the beloved b18c had a bore of 81mm and a stoke of 87.2mm. Where is your god now?

wtf I love vtak now

Only the b16 was oversquare. Everything else was undersquare.

>Where is your god now?
what god?

Why the f20c, my dear ledditor. Came in oversquare or undersquare flavors. Both revved over 8k.

3800's are pure shit and anyone who disagrees hasn't owned enough of them.

That's the joke.

false

engines that aren't V8s

Is...is this a fucking joke?

It's worse than people would shill you to believe but I don't think it belongs in this thread.

I think this engine is the worst diesel engine to go in a truck.

It literally shuts down if you drive it on a track ahahaha

>northstar
>anything but utter garbage that:
>blows head gaskets
>headstuds are literally helicoiled into the block
>could fill an Olympic swimming pool with all the oil one leaks in a year
>has the starter under the intake manifold in the valley between the banks

How could they be anything but one of the worst engines of all time? It's a shame considering there aren't many other 32v burger veeates, but trash is trash.

>>has the starter under the intake manifold in the valley between the banks
The Toyota 1UZ-FE does this as well

Yeah, they're awful. It is embarassing they powered camaros at one time. But 4th gen camaros are embarassing so i guess it fits.

only because it's not the VVT-LI

What is the EJ25D for $500

Agreed, fuck this motor. Fucking fragile, oversized piece of shit.

>Using old arguments on why the inline 6 was bad.
Lmao ok kid. Let me guess, you praise the vr38dett and fight gm fans. The gtr should be wiped and we should have just let the series die at the 34 instead of having a fat ugly v6 pos come along and ruin everything

>Let me guess, you praise the vr38dett and fight gm fans.
no. I think the VR V6's are trash
>old arguments
doesn't make them any less valid.

>Using old arguments on why the inline 6 was bad.
Let me just go back to my great firing order while you stick with your heavy unbalanced engine.

Well I posted two replies on accident, so rip, but, the old arguments have and can be easily refuted

this

1-2-3-4-5-6 is a good firing order, and a 60° V6 is perfectly balanced internally. Try again retard

>t. someone whose engine was posted here

Shitting on the 3800 is retarded. The 3.4 from the 90s is a mess tho. Probly pretty cool when new and working. I always thought the exterior of the Z34 was quite nice, but I had a 93 Regal 3.8 that was far more handsome IMO. It was no rocket ship but torquey af.

K24A4 a shit.

variable timing per intake valve
instead of a throttle body

It's incredibly clever. They got rid of the intake camshaft, and activated the intake valves via solenoids.

>internal balance
>relevant
Modern I3 engines work perfectly fine, despite lacking internal balance. Hell, I2 engines work. There's a whole slew of argument for the V6 (weight, size, square packaging, etc.), and only two arguments in favor of the I6: sounds (subjective) and the irrelevant balance meme.

V6>I6, deal with it.

>irrelevant
How is reduced wear and vibrations irrelevant?

Both of those are irrelevant for performance, and manufacturers have made V6 engines that are so well-balanced that they'll outlast the chassis they're put in. Reduced wear is only irrelevant if it's truly detrimental to an engine's lifespan (which is isn't anymore), and reduced vibrations are only important if you can't make a chassis that hides it. Modern car manufacturers are so damn good at reducing NVH values that we actually need to pump some noise into the cabins, so a bit of vibration is irrelevant. For the true luxury feeling of a floaty barge, a six cylinder isn't sufficient anyways, you'll need a V12. Not because it's twice as smooth, but because you ''need'' the image.

Enjoy having to swap rubber bushings frequently