Cars that you

thought were cool when you were younger, but now realize are massive pieces of shit.
>pic related

My grandmother had an Eclipse GT Spyder and I thought it was fucking awesome. Vowed to have one when I got older lol...
youtube.com/watch?v=_MuYLiFClb0
youtube.com/watch?v=OH0zWrDi6GA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uWYdJpHFmSM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Maybe not massive, but christ was it disappointing to start reading about these when I could start buying a car.

The eclipse was my sisters favorite car and got one when she got her license, i remember really liking it

>Spice Girls song at the end of that second commercial
>2003

When I was a little kid my favorite car in Gran Turismo 1 was also the Accord station wagon too for some reason.

Lol that was my first car. They look great but they're slow as fuck. Rip

>They look great but they're slow as fuck

Same problem the Tiburon had. Fairly attractive, but lacks any sort of performance credentials.

The interior is pig disgusting.

*throw up*

I still remember when the Chappelle show spoofed that shitty dancing commercial
youtu.be/uWYdJpHFmSM

DELET THIS

literally in the same situation
rotaries are cool tho
but god they are impossible to keep as a daily

I will get an FD some day
some day...

I bought one anyway.

I was in highschool when they came out and my friend got one for graduation and his mom bought one for herself.

yellow 04' with mazda speed kit, we used to beat the fuck out of it, lot of fun was had.

Bought his moms rx8 a year ago, it was sitting in her garage undriven since 2014, only 68k on it.

how is it?
is the fuel economy as bad as i heard?

The design of the RX-8 has aged like milk compared to the FC and FD.

orginally wanted to post such a shame that generally celicas are lacking speed-wise (not including gt4)

I get 15 city about 22ish highway on 93 octane.

ughhh
that must hurt your wallet a lot if you daily it

i saw 2 being sold, the 1st gen, for cheap with rebuilt engines and everything fixed where i live wanted to go there and just get one but i am too poor for it since i dont have a stable job

for fuck sake, just checked and 2 more are being sold
stop fucking hurting me

Childhood is liking the AE86, Adulthood is liking the AE92/AE101 more.

S L O W
L
O
W

I don't daily it, I have a 3k civic for that.

How slow are we talking? Whats the 0-60/0-100?

>FWD shitboxes

t. assmad ae86 fangirl

Motor Trend tested a 2000 Eclipse GT at roughly 7 seconds to 60.

I mean thats not what I would call really fast but thats not slow as shit as some anons are saying. I saw that the non gt versions had little i4s in them though, Im sure those were slow as balls.

hey those are great wtf u on about

If it can't beat a V6 family sedan, people are going to dismiss it as slow.

There is literally nothing wrong with a good eclipse GT.

This so much
>tfw you'll never be a mazdacuck

Huh. I can see the logic there but it doesnt feel right. Like what if a family sedan was made with a 4 second 0-60, it would just be a fast sedan. That doesnt make a car that does a 7 second slow as shit. Kind of weird to establish a baseline on family sedans you know. Im just going off of the standard. Under 6 is fast, 7 and 8 is eh okay, 9 and 10 is kinda slow, anything over 10 is slow. Anything over 15 is slow as shit. I understand the mentality youve just described but I dont agree with it

Accords and Camrys are two of the most common, uninspiring cars on the road, so it's just amusing when other cars that are marketed as sporty can't keep up.

>not turboing a 4 banger rs for maximum sleeper effect

Mine had a 4 banger and did about an 8 second 0-60. I think the v6s did 7 something. Their main downfall was they were heavy as shit. Like 3200 or something

Yeah I drive a car thats 3100 stock, and can be brought down to around 2750. It feels heavy, and it would shave 2 seconds off of its 0-60 if it were 1000 pounds lighter.

Wait, what is wrong with a Caprice?

basketball

Get a Roadmaster then, same everything

The late 90s/early 2000s was a tough time to be a kid who knew nothing about cars, but all this very "new millennium" shit was coming out (Eclipse 3G, New Beetle, PT Cruiser, etc) and it was all memes... but everyone fell for them.

Can you imagine if they'd just went ahead and made all these new millennium cars good instead of shit?

Nissan 300zx
I was in love with this car when it came out. I almost even bought one. Thankfully, I didn't. They are atrocious to work on.

The new age beetles are so uggo. I thought so as a kid too. Cant stand them.

I like what they did with the newest ones. Still got that cute look, but a bit less gay. I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen in one.

what's that lever on the floor against the center console?

Tie between anything BMW or Porsche anything.
Its like the basic white girls of performance cars. Not to mention their acceleration is shit in most models. Friend outraced a 2012 Porsche Carerra in a sodding '01 Toyota manual gear box.

BMWs on the other hand are like cars for posers. horrible turning at speeds below 60mph. Though, im biased against BMWs cause bratty ass teenagers drive them while their parents pay for it here in California.

>inb4 dudebros call me autistic or claim Im talking out my ass

I had a friend who vowed to make his tiburon a track monster. I think he's invested like $15k into it turbocharging the v6, forged internal, better suspension and replacing panels with carbon fiber.

I get doing what you want with your money, but man that just seems like a waste. He seems happy with it tho.

Oh good, i remember my friends GF had one bought new. It always fell apart. First the transmission gave out after 1000 miles, then master cylinder, then half of the electrical system. Her parents calimed it was a lemon, but i think those had a lot of recalls issued on them. Im not sure.

seems like car makers love doing what hollywood does. Take a timeless classic, reboot it for a new generation, and proceed to make it shite.

Was my go to car in NFSU and NFSU2

they're good looking, but slow. Simple to work on though

I dream of a world where

>The New Beetle is known for its reliability and ease of maintenance as the old Beetle was
>The PT Cruiser is a RWD V6 or V8 muscle wagon
>The Eclipse 3G had a turbo AWD option
>The MR2 Spyder had a turbo variant with 200+HP
>The Pontiac Aztek wasn't hated

etc

All it took was simple shit to turn these god-awful shit machines into timeless cars people would want for years to come.

I really wanted the Tiburon to be FR. It really is a good looking car, especially the second gen.

The aztek isnt as hated now, but for the wrong reasons.

Wouldn't say that it's a piece of shit but I'm not a fan for sure.

I ALWAYS LOVED THE FIRST GEN 3000GT VR4

90S AS FUCK, LIKE A NIPPED UP TESTAROSSA

It's where the seat belt latches

it's just a glorified Cavalier
same as the firebird

FUCK YOU FERD YOU MOLESTED AND KILLED MY FAVORITE COUPE TO CASH GRAB BOOMERS

I saw a black Dodge Stealth in a parking lot back in high school. I thought it was the coolest shit I've seen.

Why did I think this was cool

id guess ebrake

I honestly dont care how expensive, unreliable, and how big of a piece of shit the 3000GT is.
i'm gonna fucking buy one eventually and i'm gonna treasure the fuck out of it.

People keep calling them shit, but it's one of the things that got me into cars a lot.
I don't care for stangs much anymore cause of the stigma attached to them and the people ive seen in them, but the older ones hold a place in my heart

because it still is cool

Viva La Bam

The fully loaded 2006 one seemed like a badass car at the time. Now looking back it was just a nostalgia cash grab.

I daily drive one and have recently starting powersliding with it. It's surprisingly fun, especially on dirt roads. For what it is I'm impressed by its handling.

handbrake

This fucking piece of trash

Although I would take an 87 Monte Carlo anyday

Same. I found a pristine 2007 RX8 where the only issue was a dead rotary. I bought it for $1400 and had the engine rebuilt. I paid less than 5k for an almost new RX8. If you want a RX8, I definitely recommend buying a dead one and just rebuilding it. You can save a lot of money this way.

these have actaully aged pretty nicely, just not a huge fan of the ridged arches on the hood

And I still want one. High school nostalgia is such a bitch.

unpopular opinion: this is my favorite gen

this was the first car i can remember seeing and thinking "i like that" i was probably about 8

>Crank window
WTF? on a gorillion dollar supercar

Years ago I used to think the CLC200 was pretty neat but I know know otherwise.

>other cars that are marketed as sporty can't keep up.
You dont understand what a sports car is made to be

Theres more to a sports car than speed, handling, aero, engine performence for size, ect

hello, bostonfriend. thought these were fwd... but still shit

are you me?

You think you know slow? I was born with it, raised by it

I saw one of these on my commute home today. I chuckled heartily.

This. I always liked military stuff. Thats probably why i liked it.

You're full of shit

Honestly despite the FWD and plethora of reliability issues, if you can't legally drive a forced induction vehicle these are some of the best bang for your buck you can get. Lift is fucking rad as hell, just a shame the car itself is gay as fuck.

>tfw I literally never said sports car
Calm your autism boy

I thought these looked the tits as a kid.

But they're stupid disposable French tin-cans that rust to pieces. There aren't even any left on the road because they all fell apart.

What's wrong with the interior?

The colour is garish yes, but I mean, have you seen Lambos? The whole fucking car is garish and over the top. I thought that was the point.

noticing a common thread here

its not really shit but as a child i thought that ALL lagunas are equally fast, i didnt realize that race versions were enteirly different so when i got a ride in one of them i wanted to cry out of disappointment

what's your problem ?
its normal for a car from the 70s

I can smell the cocaine

Same thing, i always thought every E46 was an M3, and that the bespoke GTR versions were common.

Mine as well

That's when I stooped to think it's cool. I also stopped to like all Lambs for some reason.

I agree. They're amazing looking. It's a shame the 3v from the following gen is such a better engine.

My FD gets 12 city, 17 hwy

nobody is driving the car

The turbo 2.4 pt cruiser was cool enough.