Urgent jeep cherokee help

hey Veeky Forums im from /v/ anywayslast time i posted in the qtddtot and nobody helped

I have this 2001 jeep cherokee for about 6yr now and its been overheating really bad and has trouble starting when its warm i haven't been able go get the coolant cap off so ive been putting water in the wiper wash bottle the oil seems fine nice and red and clean i dont have the money to pay someone to fix whatevers wrong or to get another car

where should i start with troubleshooting? im not really a car person but it has 400k on the clock and the fuel tanks full and the tires are all pumped up

They did help you fat dumb ass, don't post on this board ever again

>jeep owners

>not using sage
Neck yourself while you jerk off op kiddo

hello summerfriend

Ha, faggot OP thinks he's gonna get mechanical help on Veeky Forums.

Go to a Cherokee forum, fucktard.

hey shut it i'm in distress

>water in the super reservoir and not the coolant reservoir
UMMMM
>Oil seems nice and red
UMMMMMM
>400000 miles
UUUUMMMMMMM

>i haven't been able go get the coolant cap off so ive been putting water in the wiper wash bottle
Are you that fucking stupid OP?

>the oil seems fine nice and red
Oil should never be red, unless you're looking at your ATF, I'm which case, you're still autistic.

>where should i start with troubleshooting? im not really a car person but it has 400k
Get a new car.

>the fuel tanks full and the tires are all pumped up
Totally irrelevant

its not quite red, more like a deep brownish-red. the tires and the fuel tank are relevant because they're part of the car

>Relevant to an overheating problem
Yep. Mhm, sure.

You might just wanna have a shop look at it, OP.

Ask stupid questions, get stupid answers

some other fag said it. quit being such an autist and goto a fucking Cherokee forum where they actually know shit about your car.

Is this another copypasta? Is this some jerkoff like that /mlp/ guy and the chickenposter?

>You might just wanna have a shop look at it, OP.
that would be very expensive if it was a head cover gasket. i need to fix this myself because i'm poor

From the amount of intelligence you've demonstrated so far, there's no way in hell you could change a head gasket by yourself on one of Chrysler's piece of shit engines.

Again, there is more to the Internet than Veeky Forums. Go to a damn XJ site where they will actually help you. Do your own damn research.

>Do your own damn research.
that's what i'm doing by asking you guys. your the automotive board

I would guess that's 400000kms, not miles, because considering your massive ability to maintain your vehicle, I seriously doubt it would make it to 400000 miles. Do you have the owner's manual? Start reading it until you have figured out where the coolant reservoir tank is located. Locate it. Is the fluid in it between the min and max lines? If it is, amount of coolant isn't the problem. Check under your car. Is it leaking coolant at all? If it's not leaking coolant and the coolant levels are good, then it's either a water pump or a thermostat issue. Could be an air bubble issue but you haven't touched the coolant recently, I'm guessing. And based on your level of intellect and knowledge, pay someone smarter to diagnose and fix those issues - they are beyond you.

No, you're asking fellow Veeky Forums spergs to tell you what's wrong with it.

For the last time, go to a fucking site dedicated to fixing your shitty Jeep and they'll tell you how to troubleshoot and fix it.

Or at the very least watch youtube video of someone replacing the head gasket on the model Jeep you got.

He's right, you know.

>they are beyond you.
i cand o it

I'll give you half a chance if you can take a picture of your coolant reservoir tank and show us what the coolant level looks like. And put a timestamp in the picture too, so we know you're not just pulling some picture off the internet.

ok i'll take a picture but you have to promise to help me

Nobody can help you without pictures, because you don't make much sense when you talk. That's why they're all making fun of you.

ok guys i got the picture i think its empty but i dont think it's leaking maybe its all still in the engine? what should i do?

Take the cap off and look in it. There's usually a min line, sometimes a max line for coolant level.
If it's completely empty then you are low on coolant. You can fill it with water (the cleaner the better) or a 50/50 mix of coolant and water.

If you're losing coolant, then you're next goal is to figure out where it's going. And it could be any number of things. Leaky hoses, leaky heater core, leaky head gasket.

I can't see shit in that picture. And if it's empty, a good place to start would be filling it up dumbass.

>has trouble starting when its warm
I would suspect coolant temp sensor has gone out and the ECU thinks it's -40C outside all the time when it's something warmer than that. Need a scantool to narrow that down. And possibly a multimeter to verify the sensor is what's actually bad and a new sensor if it is.

>i haven't been able go get the coolant cap off so ive been putting water in the wiper wash bottle
KEK

I WONDER IF ANY CHRYSLER ENGINE HAS EVER HIT 400,000 MILES

Those old Jeep engines are actually pretty tough

i think these cherokees are pretty cool looking

i was considering getting one as a nice project car

any thoughts?

They're terrible cars bro

I'd suspect the engine is seized.

I think they're great. The engine is bulletproof and easy to work on.

Jeep XJ Cherokees are the best SUVs you can get today and all the haters are Asian/Euro car users who get triggered by the sight of a bald eagle on their property.

Every American car you don't buy is a meal off an American family's table, boy.

My 5.2 ZJ still gets hotter'n I'd like when sitting still with the AC on even after I replaced the radiator. It loses coolant too but not into the oil I think it boils up and out of the reservoir and I'm trying to think of a way to make the reservoir deeper. It also has iffy oil pressure when it heats up. I've been using the same cheap oil I run in my 5.2 Ram but the ZJ has 200k+ miles vs like 13 04 the Ram which also presumably has a bigger oil pump and coolant system and everything. Planning to try a heavier oil in the Jeep next time I change it.

>It loses coolant too but not into the oil
YA SURE?

DID YOU DO A CHEMICAL BLOCK TEST TO RULE IT OUT

whats that?

STICK IT IN YOUR RAD AND TELL FOR SURE IF YOUR ENGINE HAS OPENED TO THE COOLING SYSTEM

WHY ARE YOU YELLING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

CRUISIN Veeky Forums

There's like at least 5 different Youtube videos where people go through how to diagnose a bad head gasket. That's one of the tools you use to tell. Usually you can tell from the white plume of smoke out the exhaust or the shitty milky residue in your oil. But not always.

If you replaced the radiator - did you burp or bleed the coolant afterwards?

I'm sure this is a troll thread, but...

>2001
>overheating
Fix this immediately and stop driving the car until you do. Overheating an 00/01 is a great way to crack the head.

>400k on the clock
Doubtful given your lack of maintenance, but on the off chance this is real you need to replace your entire cooling system well before this mileage. My waterpump went at 150k.