Advantages of Manuals

What actual advantage do manuals have over automatics besides being "fun"

You get to play with a phallic object as you drive.

none

I HATE FUN! GRRRR!

It makes drifting easier because you can just keep it in 2nd or 3rd gear so the wheels keep spinning.

An automatic car will upshift or downshit on its own and regain traction when you dont want it to.

Otherwise yeah its gotten to the point where automatic cars or at least ones with paddle shifters are just downright faster but who cares.

Also anti-theft device lol

Also also girls think its cooler than your Yaris

Less parasitic loss from the transmission system. Clutch doesn't lose nearly as much power as a hydraulic coupling (torque converter)

Some modern automatics use automatic clutches though, so there's not much of a difference in that case

You have more control over your car, meaning better mpg and safety. Less complicated than an automatic. No power lost from the torque converter. More durable, lasts longer. You get to teach girls how to drive your stick.

Also, it's fun.

Manuals can get better fuel efficiency. They are also easier to get wheel spin in and they can be hill started.

As far as performance and speed, they literally have no discernible advantage anymore in modern cars.

you're a lot more aware of the speeds you're going with a manual

>letting clueless normies destroy your transmission
what the fuck

where can i find these "girls"

You maintain more control over your vehicle. That's pretty much it. Nowadays, mechanical and MPG losses are mostlyn egligable.

I track / touge my car, so I'm replacing and repairing my transmission pretty often.

The female girls won't be too interested, start going to Veeky Forums meets

On craigslist

if you live in America faggots can't steal it because they don't know how to drive it

Ease of replacement and simplicity of service when compared to automatics.

Any benefits of manual can be had with these babies

I like to play with my stick

Push starting?

In older cars you usually had a choice of a 4 speed (sometimes even 3 speed) auto or a 5 speed manual. This is why manuals used to get better fuel economy.

Nowadays in the age of 6+ speed automatics this is irrelevant.

fuel efficiency (if not talking about brand new and slightly used cars), easier to repair, more reliable if you aren't killing your synchros with stupid shit, more control while cornering

rev matching while downshifting

No, tiptronic transmission, manually upshift and downshift in an automatic

That was one of the many reasons, but the biggest is being able to play "in fifth by 30" in a manual.

He's saying you can't push start an auto with a gear select. You can with a manual. So no, not all benefits of a manual carry over to a tiptronic.

Also the lag with those transmissions is unbearable.

Also you can't clutch kick with one of those

If you've ever worked on a transmission, manuals are infinitely more simplistic and easier to work on compared to automatics.

You can always keep the car in its powerband.

Also, a torque converter makes a shit ton of heat and robs your drivetrain of a lot of power. CVTs slip like crazy. You get more power to the wheels in a manual.

you can just put the auto in 2nd and 3rd.

>push start

Okay gramps

it also used to be that redlining in an auto was impossible unless you tuned it
now theres modes that you can switch to that allows that in autos as well

So i guess drifting is the only thing its good for now?

Useful if your battery dies.

there is none

its worse than automatic

but hey if you like automotive hipsters thinking its cool to handle phallic objects in old pieces of shits its for you

When your starter goes in your shitty auto tragic econobox, you'll wish you could push start it.

Spotted the Prius driver.

full control over the power band
easier engine braking
autos may perform the act of changing faster than a human, but they cannot anticipate the road ahead and so are for all intents and purposes still slower

>he can't handle his stick
lmao, nu-males need not apply

When you are so insecure in your sexuality that you are scared of touching a stick.
>closeted fag detected

I have a manual but Ive outgrown it

its still inferior garbage and only hipsters and teenagers like

So you are closeted fag with superiority complex, got it.

dad?
i knew you were hiding something in the closet from me

Well, at least here in germany, manual Cars are usualy cheaper because automatic is always an very expensive extra here (+2 to 3K € more per car compared to manual). No clue why it's that different from USA, but many people actualy like to manual shift. Automatic is really exotic here, not sure about other european countries.

>closeted

Im not in the closet about anything

as long as its cute I dont care

>superiority complex

nah

manual is objectively worse

Objective transmission power rankings:

F1 style dual clutch with flappy paddles and a clutch lever/pedal = WRC style sequential with a lever and a clutch pedal > Manual > two pedal dual clutch > conventional automatic with torque converter > CVT

>"shift denied"

DO NOT REPLY TO TRIPFAG

Manuals just feel more in control in a world taken over by automations

Automatics are incredibly fragile and need to have their fluids changed MUCH more frequently. In the event of rebuilding a trans, an auto has many more parts to be changed, is much bigger, and is much more complicated, where a manual isn't.

lighter car
lower MPG because you know if you're gonna slow down or speed up, your automatic doesn't
cheaper sticker price
engine breaking
and yes, it's fun.

Dct

Hasn't really been an issue since lock-up torque converters were invented.

Reliability, mostly. I've yet to see a manual transmission go bad. I've seen plenty of autos go bad over the years. Less moving parts too. No electronic control over a manual, less computer modules to go nuts or short out or corrode.

manual transmissions are weaker tho

plus you have synchros and clutches that are guaranteed to go bad

engine braking, being able to over rev and stay in certain power bands. the syncro's on a manual last much longer than the torque converter on an automatic. ease of maintenance.

On older vehicles such as what you have pictured manuals are 90% of the faster with less power losses.

>manual transmissions are weaker tho

So that's why manuals are used on Tractor-Trailers? Hmmmm

Being able to directly control the torque output of the engine is incredibly important for maintaining control of the car in all conditions.

People in automatics crash more because the transmission goes to the highest possible gear for the road speed and when entering a corner it doesn't have enough torque to pull or push the car through so it just understeers off the road or shifts mid-corner unexpectedly. Being able to go down a gear, let the engine rev higher, and balance the car with the throttle is a fundamentally important driving technique for everyone.

Manuals get less mpg. You can not shift faster than automatic more do you have as many gears. Manual is more complicated to drive than automatic.

lol those days are going away with a quickness

maybe look at drag racing and history some time tho

its a common occurrence for a manual to be too weak for an application so they used an auto

This isn't 1993. Autos are far more efficient.

I've taught 3 girls manual and they've never grinded gears, maybe stall out once or twice. I'm really good at teaching people how to do things though. Also these girls respected my shit, I wouldn't teach any stacy

I've fallen asleep at the wheel in an automatic, being conditioned to actively listen to and feel the engine in a manual keeps me awake.

None. Literally the only advantage is the 'fun'. Modern automatics are faster than manuals & get better MPG.

And if you live in a city, the small moments of fun are overshadowed by the ballache of a clutch in stop/go traffic.

Daily driver - Auto
Weekend toy - Manual

Anyone who claims otherwise is a overcompensating autist trying to justify their bad decision, or being such a poorfag they can't afford a DD & a toy

where you at senpai?

You can keep yourself in the correct gear, better gear ratios, more gears, dhowshifting to slowdown. Lots of shit.
Obviously a new dual clutch paddle shifters automatic would be better but we both know youd be talking about a shitbox automatic trans,

cheap
more fixable

been driving manual for about 6 months.

what makes it fun? or when does it get fun?

I mean I guess getting to the speed limit in 2nd or 3rd gear is fun but besides that what else is there?

330ks on an Impreza which is known to have a really bad transmission. Nothing gone bad.
350ks on an W140 S320 two transimissions, 2 ECUs and a differential so far, not completely fixed.

Elaborate with facts

It gets fun when you delude yourself into thinking it is fun and superior

better control of gears for when you want to overtake or cruise at low rpm
at that point you should just be getting dct

>what makes it fun? or when does it get fun?

When you hoon it on a nice road.

You've been doing it 6 months and don't see the difference? Go back and drive your mom's auto.

I bet you find it horrid and slushy, and are annoyed that its not in the gear you want and changing when you don't want it to. You just forgot how bad it was because you got used to manual as the new normal.

not the guy youre replying to but after driving manual for about 7 years I still dont see the fun
my fun comes from driving a nice jumpy and powerful car

I prefer the opposite
>manual daily so I don't fall asleep at the wheel
>paddle controlled auto at the track for instant gear changes with one foot on brake and the other on throttle

For most autos, the selected gear is more of a suggestion than anything else.

Yeah, modern autos (particularly 6+ speed autos) have better MPGs, and once you're cruising there's no power loss because torque converters now have lockup clutches that give direct drive to the transmission.

bump
gm btfo

>No clue why it's that different from USA

Automatics were very heavily marketed as a luxury feature in the '70s.

>he thinks that's how auto trans work

>What actual advantage do manuals have over automatics besides being "fun"
They are better for direct injection

>pretending to be in control of something instead of actually controlling it
t. puss puss

If the battery or the starter fail you can always just push the manual car and it will start.

Smaller pool of potential thieves

The problem with your question is that there's now more than one type of "automatic" with which to compare.

My general opinion would be:
DCT > Manual > Slushbox auto = CVT

There's a reason dual-clutch systems are going into performance cars- they shift faster than any human. There's also the option of paddle shifting for track driving. They beat manuals in pretty much any objective measure except cost/simplicity.

Manuals have less powertrain loss than slushboxes and are more reliable than CVTs, and are simpler than both. the power loss in a slushbox is especially noticeable in a car that doesn't have a lot of power to begin with.

Torque converter automatics will probably get phased out as the durability/reliability of CVT improves.

tl,dr DCT kicks the shit out of manuals in new cars, but manual is usually nicer than a slushbox in older cars.

You mean higher mpg

>Torque converter automatics will probably get phased out as the durability/reliability of CVT improves.
Last time I looked CVT's still use torque convertors, and the problem with the newest CVT's is that they're programmed to have pre-set ratios so that they "feel" like a traditional automatic because dumb normies complained about the "drone" from CVT's. This negates some of the advantages a CVT gives and reduces service life because the pulleys will develop grooves over time in every spot there is a pre-set ratio.

I agree with your post on how good autoboxes and DCT's have gotten, I was watching a video the other day that showed how the 8-speed slushbox in the Challenger Hellcat blips the throttle all on it's own when the driver hits the downshift paddle. This negates the need for being able to rev-match downshift or even how to drive a manual at all, but it got me thinking, at what point does it stop? There are already instances of self-driving technology being faster than actual race car drivers, do we just give up on driving entirely and sit along for the ride? Do we allow someone to show up at an autocross course and sit in the passenger seat while the car does all the driving on it's own? Do we stop having race car drivers and instead just watch robots "race" around a track? Have we as a society gotten so lazy we'll just take the easiest way out possible rather than learn a skill?

That in a nutshell is my problem with the arguments about auto's being faster than manual, even if it's true in some cases. If the end-game is using technology to be faster than "the old way" why stop at the transmission when a robot is a faster better driver than 95% of people and can entirely replace a human driver? I for one don't see the fun it that or even why you would bother being a "car enthusiast" at that point but I'm obviously in the minority.

how do you do this?

just have someone push the car then turn the key?

Literally zero benefit compared to modern automatics.
t. owner of two manual cars.

That is like the close doors button in an elevator.
It doesn't do anything.

For older autos, MPG, speed, weight, and maintenance.

MPG and speed are certainly much better now with more gears and better computers; the other two are questionable but err on the side of manual.

>put in gear
>hold clutch and gas
>get going 5+ mph
>dump clutch
>vroooom

Downshifting to save your brakes.

Manuals will be a thing of the past and does really belong in cars because there just a to b transportation anyway on motorcycles thats a different story. A manual in a car just gives it a timeless quality because automatics are just kind of slow depending on the kind to shift. You will never have to worry about the transmission in a manual unless you don't know how to shift well with it.

THIS

>tfw rear brakes on my Sentra almost non-functional
>been driving with this relying on engine-braking for almost 5 months now

89 MR2s have color matched mirrors and rocker panels?

I have a DCT bike and that is utter bullshit. In a car where you actually use the clutch and shifter, you lose a lot of feeling going to DCT.

In a bike, where you always drive grip and only shift up or down, DCT is pretty much similar to manual, as in you still need to manually downshift, you just don't have a clutch. Mostly like the manual boxes on modern quads.

why dont cars have gearboxes like motorcycles?
it just makes more sense to move it up/down depending if you want a higher/lower gear

id consider a car if it worked like this, but i dont really want to be fucked to learn some retarded system for muh fun

direct drive > not actually connected > literally a giant lump of dog shit where your transmission should be > CVT

Americans don't know this

Manuals are easier to fix and more reliable

But my Yaris is manual???

Paddle shifters?