Try to start car in the morning

>Try to start car in the morning
>Starter turns slowly 2-3 turns and stops
>Try again, nothing happens
>Check battery with multi-meter, 12.0V while off, 11.5V with radio on
>Charge the battery for few hours until it reaches 12.6V
>Try to start, still no signs of life other than a single click under the hood on each attempt.
>While attempting to start, battery voltage remains at 12.6V
what did I break this time?

how old is the battery?

Your battery is likely fucked if it sits under 12.6 volts no load.

Your starter most likely my dude.

Charge it longer. To at least 13,5V

You need this thing called fuel

No idea, I just bought the car a month ago. The day before it was driving and starting without any issues.
Shouldn't the voltage drop to some stupid low amount when attempting to start it?
According to service papers I got with the car it was replaced in 2015
I won't leave it overnight as I don't have a garage so I was thinking about jump-starting it tomorrow form another car.

Honestly I have seen batteries rest at 11v and been cranking for years afterwards

He said voltage doesn't change under load. That is an indicator that there is no draw.

With the starter engaged a bad battery would drop in voltage immensely.

Easiest, tooless way.

>Jump start
>Drive around for half an hour
>Idle it for half an hour
>Whatever
>Get back to jump vehicle.
>Turn off
>Try again
>If no start, she dropped a cell and wants replacing.

If it doesn't hold more than 13v get it tested at an auto parts store. Its possible that it can't hold enough amps to crank over the engine.

If the charging current is 5A, and your battery has (maybe) 70Ah, it needs about 70/5=14 hours to fully charge.
If you jump-start your car, it will charge only with alternator, so you have to take loooong trip. Charge it with charger to full capacity, battery will appreciate it.

>Shouldn't the voltage drop to some stupid low amount when attempting to start it?

Not too stupid low, Maybe around 10?

OP said it dropped to 11.5 with just the radio on which means the battery is fucked. It's not going to show a massive current draw when the starter is just clicking. That means the starter isn't getting enough current to even try turning over. Which means a bad connection or a bad battery.

but what makes me wonder was that in the morning the starter turned few times and then stopped as if the battery was low
I have large (as for punto) 1.9 JTD engine and the battery is 64Ah. My charger is only 4A and I had it connected for about 4-5 hours. It's getting dark in here now so had to stop the charging, but I was hoping the starter would at least turn slowly few times.

>OP said it dropped to 11.5 with just the radio on which means the battery is fucked. It's not going to show a massive current draw when the starter is just clicking. That means the starter isn't getting enough current to even try turning over. Which means a bad connection or a bad battery.
I assumed 0.5V battery drop while turning radio on is normal, or isn't it?
If it isn't I will jump start it.

>Drive around for half an hour
I would be afraid to do it. If I accidentally stall it, I won't start it and will basically get stuck on the road.

It shouldn't even be at 11.5 in the first place but the 0.5a that the radio is drawing is enough to pull the voltage down then it definitely won't even activate the starter solenoid.

Jump start it and get a new battery. A bad battery just strains the alternator and it's regulator.

well radio, lights, and maybe the AC with fan set to low.
Anyway it's 11pm here so won't be playing with it anymore. Thanks all for help, it doesn't happen often on Veeky Forums

OP here,
friend happened to be passing by and we tried to jump start it. Still no signs of life.
Faulty alternator? Apparently it was replaced in 2015...
Pic related, I tick all 3

If you tried jumping it then it doesn't involve your battery or alternator. Alternator only matters once the car is running, no effect on starting. Lights on the dash but no cranking sounds like your starter is done. Could try a solid whack with a hammer to the starter, sometimes gives you one or two more starts but still need to replace it. Double check the starter wiring too and make sure you get it tested before buying a new one. When you take it into a parts store they'll test it for free. Good luck

when you attached the jumper cables were they sparking?

>it into a parts store they'll te
I was meant to say faulty starter, it was replaced in 2015.
Not sure, friend attached the cables.

I fucking swear this is my first car. I shouldn't have listen to people around me and should have just bought a brand new car, or nearly new still covered by the warranty.

do you have fuel in the car?

like 3/4 of the tank

Drive around your hood, dumbass

Speed bumps every 20 metres, I won't even go 10 mph

And your point is?
Fucking bongs...

Give the starter some smacks with a hammer

Will do it later today. If that won't help then I watched a youtube video showing how to take it apart and clean, gonna try to do it.
I know shit about cars but if it's already fucked then it doesn't matter if I break it further.

If it was already done it may have a warranty. Check on that

>I fucking swear this is my first car. I shouldn't have listen to people around me and should have just bought a brand new car

You should've listened to mouth-breathing idiots who know nothing about cars and treated your car like a mobile phone contract? Getting tied in for 3 years to lease some entry level new shitbox?

Yeah nah. Old cars go wrong. Man the fuck up. This a learning experience. A starter motor is a simple issue.

Also even with a dead starter motor you can still bump start it (to drive to a garage etc.)

You uh, wont be able to start it to get it home though so make sure you have an appointment or something first. Or you'll be trying to bump start it in their car park.

You will need a couple of strong mates or a mate and a hill for this.

I think my starter in my truck died. Either that or the battery. It was measuring 11V off,.dash and radio turn on though.

>Check battery with multi-meter, 12.0V while off, 11.5V with radio on

Measured at battery terminals? Battery is shot.
Measured elsewhere? Possible voltage drop in system. Check connections and grounds.

OP here, got the car to work
>Try to jump start it from 2 different cars, nothing
>Take starter out
>Take it apart and clean everything
>Put it back in
>Try to jump start again, still nothing
>Disconnect cables and give up hope
>Try once again
>Suddenly started as if nothing ever happened
Car started with 12.1V. I knew for some time now that the alternator is shit. I am awaiting a delivery of a brand new one.

If it's not even trying to crank at 12.6, you could have a bad starter. I've seen bad starters turn very slowly prior to giving up completely and then all you get is one click.

If it turns normally/much stronger with a jump; battery ded
If it turns in the same way/no turn at all with a jump; no power coming from the battery to the starter, or starter itself ded

see

Ah shit, had the tab open and didn't refresh before posting - rookie mistake

I'd take a look at the pole clamps, perhaps give both them and the poles themselves a clean with sand paper

>I assumed 0.5V battery drop while turning radio on is normal

It's most certainly not, unless your radio is some monster setup with external amps and subwoofers.
(Do note that it's normal if you also turned on position lamps and headlights - those eat quite a bit of power if they're filament bulbs)

It doesn't fucking matter when it was replaced, if it broke it broke.

I think I might have had lights on, can't remember.
Anyway, friend mechanic told me to check grounding cable at battery, engine, starter, and gear box (if I have it all of those places).
Unscrewing, cleaning with sand paper, and screwing them all back in should do, right?