freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/aneonwinter
twitter.com/JofersGames
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I want to make a Souls game.

I want to make a game

I make a game

Does anyone make games with bar huds anymore?

Reposting not for (You)s but for the sake of motivation:

There's something that bothers me about people struggling with creativity. They tend to think their ideas are bad and that they're not creative enough to make original or new things, and this drives them to doubt their ability to create things.

I'm here to tell you that this train of thought is bullshit. Being creative doesn't mean you have to make new things from scratch - sometimes creativity means giving your own unique vision to things that you've seen done before. Maybe you think that you're doing a 1:1 carbon copy of something that's already done, but your direct input affects the outcome on a scale that you wouldn't even believe.

I've seen the same tropes being done over and over again, and yet they always have their unique flavor to them. Even if most of their elements are borrowed or are a direct reference to something that was already created, byproducts of these core ideas filtered through a new mind's filters make a world of difference among them.

What I'm trying to say is, don't beat yourself up because you can't come up with new things. Sometimes using things that were already done and building on them in your own way is enough for you to make a masterpiece. Keep it up!

I game

going to shill my twitter because id like to follow some more agdg devs

twitter.com/aneonwinter

>right-brainlets

I already follow you bby. Love your stuff.

ill follow you :)
twitter.com/JofersGames

thanks

I like the way your battle royale style shooter is coming along man

Playing around with 3D. This took me way too long to make.

user that (You)d you here. Just wanted to say I wasnt being sarcastic, I just thought you deserved one since we dont have updoots or green pinkies

I've seen a lot of games start with this concept, they never seem to go anywhere with it

>twitter.com/aneonwinter

i see you're following com truise. he's my favourite musician dude. so talented.

Yeah, when I was looking around for how to rotate like this I found a lot of prototypes of walking on walls, but not any finished games.

Hopefully I can make this work though.

Become a /yesdev/, get a few years of experience, find a team, and its possible.

Dont expect multiplayer, and youll probably need more overall art skills than programming skills on the team to capture the same feeling

thanks, your luftrausers style game looks super fun too :)

justdoit.webm

>making a game that required hundreds of devs and millions of dollars as a small team

supporting this delusion is unhealthy user

When is this coming out? I want to try it.

>encouraging even more unoriginal shit
yeah nah, fuck you

There's plenty of indie souls-likes. It can be done. Unless he literally wants to remake an entire Souls game.

nice reading comprehension lad

Reminds me of that Ghost in the Shell game on PS1

Low poly 3D isn't used nearly enough. It's a great aesthetic I hope becomes in vogue soon.

I love his music and I have the chance to see him live in a couple weeks

You found me out, that's what I'm basing this on

Nothing 3d.

Its very possible to make a similar feeling game with a whole team and a decent timespan.

No it wont be as detailed, and itd have to be scaled down, but you could get in ballpark range for a similar style and gameplay

I can name several indie souls-likes but I can't name a single one worth playing.

Relying on tropes is shit and no amount of unique snowflake sauce will change that, get better ideas.
You can execute tropes very well despite being unoriginal, but that doesn't mean you should settle for the lazy way out.
Nowadays game concepts and plots are absolute fucking imitative shit and I will support anyone who dares to be unique.

>Low poly 3D isn't used nearly enough.
you kdding m8

Hollow Knight is really good.
>inb4 "It's a metroidvania!"
It's got just as much Souls-like as Metroid-like in it.

It's a metroidvania and it's not particularly good.

you mean mobile graphics?

I need help in deciding an engine for a game idea.

It's a trivia questionnaire with multiple choice answers.

Unity is over kill for this and I don't want to deal with their licensing bullshit.

The only requirements is that it has to be deployable to mobile (iOS and android if possible)

What are my options?

where's your unique idea

godot

I'm not saying you MUST do it. I'm saying it's a possibility and doesn't mean you're a 100% useless designer for doing it. Unoriginal doesn't automatically equal bad.

Change it up and make it an actual spider bumbling around a household:
>Maintain a routine of web checking for traped prey in different locations around rooms.
>Murdering other spiders that step to you.
>Participate in spider dance-offs to impress a mate.
>Eat your partner
>Eat your children
>Get eaten by your children
>Talk to a pig using your webs
>Bite nerds
>Engage in a nailbiting basement duel with the homeowner armed with a nailgun

I find blueprinting in Unreal is comfy af, but I only have like ~5 hours of experience so far and another user said anything it makes is like 70MB minimum, which is a turn off with small phone storage

UE4 is way overkill for a UI game.

Nobody's gonna make it but it sure does sound fun.

It's actually a very original idea (and I'm actually developing it so no ideaguying), the thing about being original is that you naturally lose some mass appeal points and it's hard to resist watering down your idea for the sake of making it more accessible. But hopefully I will stand my ground until the end and finish exactly what I want to make.

What does "overkill" mean? The minimum file size? Thats the only drawback here

Performance too.

UE4 won't run on some lower end phones.

Got a bunch of progress done today.

+ Finished (for the most part) Planet Climates and generation.

+ Power Distribution + Supply for all Ship Components

+ Started work on Inventory

I hate inventories so much...

I wouldn't use UE4 unless I was looking to impress the user graphically. That makes it pretty niche for 99 cent phone apps

Ah, I havent heard that brought up yet.

Does that apply to purely Paper2D projects?

Why must coding be so much more immediately rewarding than environment modeling?
Took me forever to get my scene to where it is, meanwhile fixing my text code up and adding an extra escape to scale the text among other code fixes took me just a day and feel like I got more done.

Anywho, progress.

should i join the demoday JAM now or wait for it to start?

damn that look like ma mairo

Before I add more detail I just want to ask if this is a decent base. Do the outlines work or should I just start over?

Irrelevant. Just make sure to submit your game ASAP

Like I said, you can execute a tired idea very well but it will still be a tired idea, I'm a much bigger fan of "controversial" ideas that might turn off most people than the safe games that try their hardest to be as inoffensive as possible.
And that's what most highly derivative games aim to be, simply something safe that can be enjoyed by most people.

I'm probably the minority here but I think artistic expression is the most important aspect of a game.

>he thinks any idea is original and not a mishmash of old ideas mixed with personal and cultural views that influence it

oh you

At the end of the day it's still UE4, it is not a 2D engine and it cannot run as efficiently as one.

If all you want is 2D, let alone a UI-based game, then there are better choices, though it's a shame because UE4's UI tools are actually really nice.

What about Demons Souls?
What game did it before?
And no, its not kings field, those are two different games.

My life would be improved 500% if I could fucking draw

Name an original mechanic Demon Soul's has.

This is the same for me.

Hours a day with loomis and everything still looks tardy

What game did the typical souls level formula before it?

That's funny 'cause when I play a game I care about enjoying myself in any meaningful capacity. Faggot.

Post art so I can laugh at it

Sure, but the key is in making sure that you don't simply combine the same ideas everyone else combined in the same manner.
It even makes sense from an economical standpoint too, most hits are usually from neglected genres and/or had unique settings they weren't done often before in games.

If people started taking ideas from books and other media instead of simply other games or mainstream shit then game concepts and plots wouldn't be considered such a joke.

I'm charging $5 for my number guessing game

#number guessing game

import random

print('Select the game difficulty.')
print('1. Range from 1 to 10')
print('2. Range from 1 to 50')
print('3. Range from 1 to 100')
difficulty = int(input('> '))

endRange = 0;
guesses = 1;
guess = 0;

if difficulty == 1:
endRange = 10
elif difficulty == 2:
endRange = 50
elif difficulty == 3:
endRange = 100

randomNumber = random.randint(1,endRange)

while guess != randomNumber:
guess = int(input('Enter a guess! '))
if guess < randomNumber:
print('Too low')
guesses += 1
elif guess > randomNumber:
print('Too high')
guesses += 1
else:
print('You guessed',randomNumber, 'correctly in',guesses,'guesses.')
input()

gooood i know everyone says it's a terrible first project but all i wanna make is an rpg

You want more games like Bioshock?

>rpgmakergeneral

World Tendency

Of course the fun factor matters, while I will enjoy unique aspects of a game I won't keep playing it even if it's unfun just for the sake of uniqueness, I'm not some dumbass hipster that plays obscure shit to look smart but I do despise how stagnant most games are.

I wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay itself and the storytelling but the world building sure was interesting as fuck and the main selling point of the game.

Just got home after a 2 hour commute. I'm exhausted. I can't make game like this, guys.

I'm literally only enginedevving because the UE4 editor won't run on my computer

>busfag doesnt have a laptop

>bus
>implying

Difficulty is a nice touch from the standard school assignment

For an extra $4 I will release a DLC for extreme difficulty

rm is horrible for action although i might steal its assets for placeholders

Is it immoral to make a nonfree game?

>2 hour drive

Get a new job m8

Morality is subjective

Can't get one any nearer me.

Itd be a shame if someone were to... pirate your game!

move m8

I'm going to pirate my own game and add a PLS BUY MY GAME message in it.

Can't. My husband has a similar commute in the opposite direction.

Leave your husband for me m8

are you gay?

Are you attractive?

JUST FUG ALREADY

maybe add some bonus for newgame+ to motivate people who pirated it and liked to buy it

Was making modifications to the easier difficulty for DD14 and I accidentally left a break somewhere it shouldn't have been. Caught me off guard and thought it was funny.

WHERES YOUR FUCKING GAME

mobile bad

phones cant run it

right here
*unzips files*