Apartments and Wrenching

To anons who wrench on their own cars and live in apartments, how do you do it?
I'll be moving into a city (hopefully) soon, and most likely will be getting an apartment or a condo, and I'd like to be able to work on my own car. Any tips?

you dont

go to a friend house with a garage

You go Mexican and do it out on the street. I've seen Mexicans hoisting engines on the street. I've seen them dropping diffs on the street. And not level streets either. So grab your taco and say "Ole"

My plan is to live in an apartment and just pay a monthly fee to have unlimited access to someone else's garage in a different part of the city. It would be cheaper than owning/renting a house in my city.

Buy a bike.

lmao I mean i've seen people do it in complex parking lots, but yea.

You can do basic stuff like changing oil in autostore parking lots.

Otherwise you needs a friends garage. Ive lived in city apartments and it's not very great for wrenching. Ended up getting roommates in a house with a garage to still be near the city.

I do this. Even better (or worse) I don't have jacks so I just drive over a tall curb.

Mexican here and can vouch for user.

Depending on the apartment complex you can always ask management as to where you can move your car to, to wrench away. They'll usually tell you as long as you don't get oil and crap on the ground you're good. Then there's most that will tell you it's not allowed at all.

If not then you're left to park it on the street to do the work.

A friends garage would be the best option...

I dropped a transmission in my apartment complex and asked management if I could do it. They were cool about it but with the new management it's strickly prohibited and they'll tow your shitbox in a heart beat.

>I'll be moving into a city
Then you can't work on a car, or own a car, or wash a car.

not every city is NYC

Used to live in an apartment with cool management. We had a covered space with an adjacent large storage closet. I built a workbench in the closet and, as long as I didn't leak fluids on the ground, they were OK with it.

"auto hobby shop"
>google

I own a house in DC and do work on my ride right in front of my rowhouse. Easy to do when your house is on a quiet side street.

Just rent a house with a garage or one with at least a driveway

so glad i don't live anywhere you degenerates. stay in school kiddos.

Damn dude and here I thought I had a death wish

>so glad i don't live anywhere you degenerates

So you're homeless? Why would you be glad about that?

>stay in school kiddos.
Man with your grammar I wouldn't be throwing stones.

No, I am not 'homeless' I just do not live near people that quite possibly may rob me or give me an illness.

so not in a major metropolitan area

He's probably a surburban and rural retard. Probably voted for 2scoops

>wrenching in your apartment parking lot makes you a degenerate
The memes are real

no! mexicans are degenerate -- look at the context, silly! :^)

If you live in a city you're retarded. If you own a car and live in a city you're doubly retarded.

I didn't know Colbert was a candidate :^)

nigger i live in irvine aka jewvine and i pay no taxes, get government benefits, fuck goy bitches, sell drugs to the new blacks that urban development has brought in, i also drive a g wagon

Move out or rent a storage unit

I couldn't at my apartment.

I rented a storage unit from a guy that was completely based. A good sized shed that fit my trailer, both motorcycles, tools, work bench, a ton of other shit. Guy was completely okay with me wrenching there too so long as I cleaned up any fluid spills and didn't fuck up his shed building. I saw lots of other people there with their cars, boats, ATVs, bikes.

So make sure you find a place that's cool with what you want to so. Some storage places aren't down for it at all. The first place I rented from flipped their shit and nearly kicked me out when I put my bike in their shed.

Do it at walmart

In my city there's a place you can rent space with a lift for $25 an hour or so. They've a full toolbox and hoist and some other shit. Pricier than a friend's garage but most of my homeowner friends have their garages filled to the brim with shit and park on the street.

Church parking lots can be pretty handy too. Schools on the weekends. Guess it depends on whether or not your city is full of cunts.

I do. I'm the cheapest bastard I've ever met so I end up with shitty beater cars and living in apartments.

It's perfectly fine. a pair of ramps and shit will go a long way. Most apartments give zero shits even if you're spilling oil and chewing up their aslpaht with the ramps. People that live in cheap apartments will not rat you out even if it's notionally against the rules.

I just find an undesirable parking space away from everyone and double park. Or I will park in a spot and steal a traffic cone to claim the space next to it. I've never done a repair that took longer than 4-5 hours though. Anything more compllicated than a timing belt change I suck it up and take it to a shop or sell the car to a junk yard and buy another $1000 beater.

Shit sucks in the winter, though.

Since a lot of people here are working on their cars on the street, what do you do if you can't finish in one day? just leave everything there?

Check with the apartment manager to see if youre allowed wrenching in the parking lot. If not get a friend with a garage. If you cant even do that you may be able to rent out garage space.

I take my stuff inside, take pictures of everything, put removed parts in the trunk, and close the hood. Then I come back the next day. Though usually jobs wont take more than a day unless youre working on a rusty piece of shit like my first car. Salvage title Cavalier. Flood vehicle. And I live in the salt belt. Took me three days to get the starter off once.

I'm never ever living where they put road salt down.

What about me user?

>Live in Cambridge, MA
>No public transportation to work because I work outside of the city
>No public transportation to some extracurricular things I do
>Driving is fun
>easy to get out of the city and do things as well as enjoy the drive
>Don't have to rely on others to go anywhere

Curbs are safer than ramps or jack stands.

Its a pain. Rust isnt as bad if you just wash your undercarriage weekly or bi weekly during winter, but most people dont do that. So used cars are almost always rusty.

Whites are degenerate by default since they invented cuckolding and meth-sex.

Yeah typical white hypocrite

I paid an extra $100/mo to have a private garage at my old apartment. Now I just have a house.