How attached are you to your current car?

Mildly.

It's not attachment as much as I don't want it to get dinged up or scratched.

My last car (2000 5.0L Explorer AWD, God rest It's soul) I miss more then my deceased mother.

A fucking drunk teenage girl drove over the center line and hit me doing 50mph + and got me 14k dollars in medical bills.

WOMEN.

Pretty attached, my first car, got it for 4K, don't want to fucked it up too bad, 03 CRV

>MR2
learned to drive stick in it. a moneypit and a pain in the ass but i love it and don't ever want to get rid of it.
>GS430
only bought recently, but is my comfy, practical landbarge and i'm learning to love it.
>SC2
belonged to my dad. is a shitbox in every sense of the word and is rusting away to almost nothing, but its reliability and the memories of the old man make it hard to justify getting rid of it.

I have a bad habit of treating my cars more as companions than simple tools, I almost felt like I lost a dear friend when I had to scrap my old S80
not quite as attached to my new Accord yet but I probably will be in a year or two

>had to scrap my old S80
why?

who is the retard who made it legal for women to drive?

>Women drivers

Not even once

it was 17 years old and pretty much everything was going wrong with it
would've cost me almost $15k just to get it back on the road, let alone running smoothly

It's complicated.

There's a bit of sentimentality since it belonged to my late grandfather, and I've been driving it for a few years now... and it's kinda neat that it has so many miles.

However, there's no mistaking that it's a worthless, used up old beater. I don't rely on it so I don't really maintain it, and there's a sort of peace of mind in knowing I could leave it burning at the side of the road and give no fucks.

I could buy a newer car tomorrow if I had to, but it's hard to justify when I have a drivable shitbox that costs me almost nothing to own and use.

sounds like there has been some MASSIVE neglect going on though.

S80s don't rot that easily

It's a common car, wouldn't be hard to replace I would just have to do a lot of work to get it back to it's heavily modified state

I don't baby it, I autox and track it but with that being said I don't let anybody wash it or drive it, I hand wash and dry with microfiber everything and wax it 4 times a year

A friend put it nicely a while ago, he said "your car is the replacement for all the nice things you don't have in life". It's quite sad, but true. Others imagine themselves on a beach in the Caribbean as their mental happy place, I just sit in my car and drive.

A lot has gone wrong in my life, bullied throughout highschool, emotionally stunted, no self-esteem, massive trust issues, consequently never formed a truly deep relationship with anyone. I fucked up in uni, wasted the best years of my life pretending I could get a degree, but didn't get anywhere really. When my car first hit the show floors I fell in love immediately and set a goal to own it some day, or asap rather. I dedicated all the time I could spare to work hard manual labor, sacrificing even more parties and socializing, and was able to afford it eventually, despite having been a failed perpetually broke student and slacker up until that point. Selling the shitbox I had loved and buying my dreamcar was a turning point in my life, first time I've felt a sense of accomplishment, pride, being noticed for my achievement, for my dedication, no envy, just compliments, nice words and warm feelings.

Also, I'm suffering from a crippling autoimmune disease that gimps my general well-being and heavily limits the things I can do and is accompanied by permanent pain. None of the regular therapies have helped me live a normal life, they keep me from dying, but not much more. Playing sports, going to a concert, parties, dating, vacations, working a normal job, all largely impossible for me. Therapies that could improve my quality of life are horrendously expensive and have a very very high risk of dying, so doctors are reluctant. There's one single place where I'm feeling well for hours at a time, potentially longer, haven't tried, it's not my bed or the sofa, but my driver's seat, both the world and my body is alright when I'm driving.

So yeah, I don't think I could be any more attached to my car.

what car

damn dude.

Is that you panda5? If so, fuck off.
If not, good luck m8. I hope you have many fun times driving your car.

'89 Accord coupe (one of the fuel-injected models)

Nice, I almost was got to buy a pristine 89' Integra that had been owned by an old lady all it's life, only had like 75k on it when I saw it in 2012. She could no longer drive so her kids were selling it but refused to sell it to me, or any young men, because they didn't want it to get "riced out". Still kinda mad about that, I'm the furthest thing from a ricer too, just wanted a nice clean car to daily that a broke ass kid could afford.

To be fair If I owned a porsche like that I'd float it on a giant whoopee cushion too if it was going to flood severely.

Honda Jazz
Stunning mpg figures from it
So cheap to run
Cheap parts for service
Never let me down or under performed

I can't see myself ever getting rid of it, it does it's job perfectly. I've started putting money into it and major service parts just to spoil it a bit.

Heh. My mother and uncle had forced my grandfather to stop driving the Accord because they were afraid it would strand him on the interstate- he'd used it for a weekly round trip commute of about 600 miles. It sat for 3 years before I started driving it... put down another 35K so far without any major issues.

During the time that the car sat, my grandfather had stopped driving himself. His assistant didn't like to drive stick, so he no longer had much use for the car. I wish he was still around to see that it's still kicking.

80s Honda shit is remarkable. the damn car had original plugwires until 2010, when the humidity from a light rain finally shorted them.

Not at all. 2004 Mustang GT I'd sell in a heartbeat if I found a good replacement for the money.

Honda Fit, decent mpgs but fucking boring as fuck to drive. I liked it initially but after only 6 months of DDing it I want rid of it.

I'm pretty attached to my car, despite what Veeky Forums says about it.

Yeah 80's Japanese cars just have a certain style to them inside and out that really appeals to me, such functional and clean designs that stand apart from the the bloated rounded abominations that pass for cars today. Then again I did grow up riding around in an early eighties Mitsubishi, and eventually learned how to drive a manual in it, so my perception might be colored. I hope that Integra found a good home none the less.

Well to say something nice for a change.
At least it's not a 1.4L diesel Citroen C3, they are the worst car ever.

It's a nice car. Veeky Forums is just a bunch of faggots.

>portuguese plate
ah cacete.

You'd be/will be surprised when you change it for something else, and you find that something isn't quite right, as if your arms don't feel like they are correctly placed on the wheel, or the seat feels like it doesn't fit your back - even if the car is the exact same model

Friend of mine drove a 1994 Mercedes C200 for over three years. It was a pretty beat up thing after those three years, with various dings, scrapes, rust spots, cut coils, leak, worn out bushings in the rear and so on. Still, it was a car we both really liked (I had my own C240, but his was the one we drifted around in and had fun with).

After about three and a half years he loses his license. Car sits for nine months until he gets the license back, and realizes just how properly fucked the thing is, to the point where its not worth fixing up. He buys a quite nice W202 again, this time a 1997. It runs way better, the interior is fucking pristine, everything works and its a nicer car in all ways - but at the same time it just does not feel as "comfy" as the old one... it will take some time, I suppose

Not attached at all. Old as hell 2000 dodge pickup with 210k miles on it. Getting a new car next week hopefully I'll be more attached to that.

Very attached. Sometimes I wish I had more power, airbags, and cab space, but I have never had such a reliable vehicle before. I have had it for a year (17000-miles) and the only maintenance/repair costs have been regular oil changes and a radiator cap.

Eh, I have a lot of fun in it.
Already need to change the front tyres after 5000kms, again.

......but what car is your car?

not attached, hope i get hit so i can buy a coupe desu desu

As for my own current car... getting more and more attached. I'm constantly adding, replacing and adjusting stuff to make it more suited to my driving and having it become what I want it to be.

The biggest thing about is just how well suited to me and my needs I find it to be. It does absolutely everything I need it do, and it does not give me any unnecessary shit to deal with

>1985 Celica Supra
Technically my first car, traded my original Supra + cash to get a black one in better condition. Also swapped my motor to the black one, so at heart its still my original car. It's currently sitting in need of a trans and is rusted through in spots and won't pass inspection, but I don't think I can ever get rid of it.

>1996 Honda Accord
My beater car and daily driver. It's a fun as shit car and it's not the most beautiful looking, but it's fun as hell to drive on the twisties and it's quite comfy. At first I didn't like it all that much, but I've come to like it more and more everyday. I don't know if I can get rid of it at this point.

>2004 Subaru WRX
My second car, but the first one I had in my name from the start (Supra was in my parents name and insurance till I got my black one, they also helped pay for it.) so with that, it feels like this was my first very own car since I paid it for it all myself.

I've sunk thousands of dollars into it with different builds, put thousands of miles on it and I absolutely love it. However, I've never done the extensive engine builds myself and the latest one was pretty big, stroker kit, rotated twinscroll turbo setup, etc. Sat the shop that was working on it for a year and a half, got it back for 4 days and it spun a bearing again on day 4. Got it towed back down and now it's been almost another year and there's almost zero progress on it. At this point I'm not sure if I'm even attached to it anymore and part of me wants to just get rid of it at the earliest possible time. Maybe it's because I can't drive it to hate it or love it.

/endofblog

Very,

Bought it so I could visit my terminally ill dad at my own whim. This car allowed me to do so, and did it like a champ. It drives like a turd, the suspension is shit, it's noisy, rusty, steers like wet spaghetti, every bump transfers directly to your spine. But the engine is a happy little rascal, and it always started, it never let me down. It allowed me to do nightly speed runs to the hospital sitting at it's utmost top speed for like half an hour. And It brought me to my father just in time to be with him as he passed his last breath. Ticking happily on the street, shaking of the heat.

And now it's time to sell. At least that was the plan from the start. But I can't reasonably pass with it. Got no need for a car any more. Hemorrhaging money in insurance costs and taxes. Decided to patch it up before selling but that has gone slightly out of hand. Just finished rebuilding the entire front suspension, brakes, replaced an axle, all belts, full service...

Good car this. It doesn't deserve for some hick to go trash- and slam it.

godspeed user, love you man

Wayyy too attached. I've got an '06 corolla that I wouldn't get rid of unless it was totaled. Even if the engine blew tomorrow morning, I'd grab a new one and shove it in. Funny thing is I hated it at first, it was way too boring for me. My last car was a 94 trans am. Guess it grew on me

I really like my car but if something else pops up i won't hesitate to sell

First car, got it on finance and will be working 50 hour weeks for at least 2 years to pay it off.

might be somewhat Veeky Forumstist tier but I have rules to keep it in the best condition possible
>no food or drink inside the cabin
>have a large seal-able waterproof bag in the trunk for any food/drink for passengers to store them in
>used to only allow myself to drink only water but I nearly spilled a bit on the leather seats so decided to restrict it all
>in the event of wet weather, passengers must remove shoes and place them in sealed plastic bags which they must hold on their lap for the duration of the ride
>in wet weather I get to keep my shoes on, but I vigorously dry them with paper towels before placing them inside the car
>in hot weather passengers and myself have to sit on towels to keep the seats sweat free, once my friend forgot a towel so he gave us money and we drove to the supermarket without him and bought him one
>any potential passenger needs to pass my passenger test, which involves a hygiene test as well as sickness inspection (risk of sneezes)
>if the drive will last longer than half an hour they must all have been to the toilet less than 2 hours prior to the drive, otherwise we wait for them to go again (with toilet bowl inspection to make sure theyre not just lying of course)
>if a passenger slams a door they are given a strike (3 strikes and they can never get a lift again)

there are more non-passenger related sections but maybe this portion of my list can show how attached I am to Wendy. Until now nothing in my entire life has mattered to me as much as this car, and for the near future I intend on keeping it that way.

FIX

IT

Snip

RGAIN

DONY

NO NO NO THIS IS ALL WRONG!!!

I can't believe you still have friends that are willing to ride with you after all the Veeky Forumstism.

I actually recently sold my S80 that my Dad gave me. It was an 03 2.4 lite turbo. It was too expensive to run for me.
The worst thing was I hot pennies for it, 600 quid for a solid luxury car with no issues, bargain mate.
I regret letting it go. I miss it a lot. I had plans for it but money is an issue.

I'm UK, getting a license let alone a car is an absolute nightmare for people under 25, and I'm the only one with a car out of all my friends (there aren't many) so for them to not have to take public transport everywhere is sort of a big deal.

USbros dont know how easy they have it.

Interesting. I've got a 2002 and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

>hard manual labor
>GT86

Well I'll be. Im doing the exact same thing for an 86.

two guys, same car, completely different opinions

did she die at least?

>treating my cars more as companions
>too expensive to fix, fuck it let it die
i hope i never have a friend like you.

holy shit lmao

ANTHONY

it's a piece of shit but honestly I love my car and I feel like shit that i've banged it up and can't take better care of it.

It's served me well and I've had a lot of good memories growing up with it even if it is literally a boomermobile. But I've dinked the passenger back door up, side skirt fell off, and paint is chipping and may be getting some rust. (Need to deal with that this weekend I've been putting it off) I just can't bring myself to sell it for parts and put it towards a fun car though

Not very. I'd basically be more annoyed I had to redo the dash cams and wire tucks if anything happened to them.

grandpa vehicles represent
also pretty attached, but a love/hate relationship

Pretty attached. Bought new 16 years ago and stayed in the family, took me to many places. Eventually it was passed on, lost track of it for 3 years and bought it back and restored it when I learned the owner was scrapping it. This happened 5 years ago.

Last week in the afternoon I left home to see my car like I like to do everyday (It was parked in the street, as always) when i got to the front right wheel, i saw this done to my car (pic related) without any paper or number of the insurance of the motherfker who did that to my car. I will never forget my face when I saw it....That night I cryed like a baby and I'm still sad as fuck about It, even now, that Im having It repaired (for more than 200€) On friday i hang out with a friend, he told me: Don't be sad, It is just a car. I'm still ignoring his messeages...

right in the feel
GOAT, driving mk1base model, it's a shitbox, everybody else is driving the frenchie clio
you know it's not worth more than 1k € an/o/n

I got given my dads old ute when he moved away and i still remember going to the dealership when i was a kid

Im pretty fucking attached

I've always mostly bought my cars with the heart and generally I've lucked out. I've always been pretty attached to them, because living in the boonies means that any motorized transportation is your lifeline and ticket to absolute freedom. Currently I'm on a Volvo 940. Sure, it's just a Volvo, but it's really pretty in its shiny red and it's in really good nick for its age. No real rust to speak of and the engine's running like a clockwork after it's done around 390.000 km. For my little family, it's easily big enough to cart around all the shit you have to bring with anytime you go someplace and as an added bonus, you don't see that many 940 polars in Denmark. I fucking love my comfybrick.

Fucking this. Some places in europe it's easier than others to get your license, but they make up for that by making it almost prohibitively expensive. To the point where you can buy a very decent shitbox and insure it for the money spent on your classes and the license.

>Safari
Literally trying to hit a deer and total it. Somehow it won't die, despite the fact the transmission is slipping. The body is rotting away but nothing crucial has yet.

I hate the Safari anymore but it's not worth selling in its condition. I abuse it whenever I drive it and it keeps going. Never see deer while driving it.

>Legacy GT
Despite the fact it's parked until my JDM motor arrives, spontaneously purchased, and needs a little TLC, I'd be quite upset if something serious was to happen to it.

I actually cleaned it after every drive until the motor started knocking. Plan on doing a ChrisFix "How to properly super clean your engine bay" video while the engine is coming out/in.

I was quite bothered when he released his video and left filth inside each bay. He only cleaned what the untrained eye will pick up on. Similar to that of just brushing and flossing your front teeth as those are the ones everyone will notice.

It'll be more of a YouTube reply (do they still allow this) / parodying video despite the fact I intend to properly do the bay.

Off topic
>Can I use my ceramic coating in the engine bay for long term protection or will the heat severely reduce its life?

Hi Takumi! Still haven't fixed that Hachiroku of yours?

Is that a fucking Seat?

Basically zero. I buy cheap used cars with a reputation for reliability and do my own repairs and maintenance. I especially like to get cars with lots of body damage, huge scratches, big dents, ect. I think it gives the car character and I can haggle otherwise mechanically sound cars down to good prices by complaining about damage.

I tend to abuse my cars. I once shot my Ford Ranger in the bed and tailgate several times with my pistol just to prove a point to a friend. Kicked a huge dent in another car when somebody brought up how ugly the car looked.

The most emotionally attached I got was my first car real car I bought with my own money, a Toyota Camry because it was so goddamn reliable and cheap to run that it made my life that much easier and I really appreciated it since I was broke back then.

Now I got sick baller money from a real job, so I just see my cars as disposable appliances.

Hang in there mate.

My DD is a Volvo S40T5. I've put 100k miles on it in 6 years. Just spent a long ass time doing a full paint correction on it, full suspension replacement, timing belt, list goes on. It looks like new, drives like new. Love the damn thing. I've driven across the country 7 times in it.

My other car is a '14 GT500 SVTPP/TP. I love the car but I'm not attached to it as I thought I would be.

My last car was a '00 Mustang GT that I put around $50k into. It was one of the first cars to run the Trick Flow 2v heads, had a 5.4l bored to 5.5l in it, a 91mm turbo, full tubular suspension and 25.5 frame. It made 1190 rwhp at 26psi. Thing was nuts. I loved that car. It got sabotaged and I wound up having to sell it for pennies on the dollar.

Nice parking job

I know it but it's priceless to me. I would not buy another one, it has to be that one!

>Legacy GT
>the motor started knocking.
Wanted an LGT so bad but the prevalence of engine failures kept me away, settled for a 2.5i 5mt. Goes everywhere I need to, albeit at a leisurely pace.

That gen of Punto had the prettiest headlights of them all.

I still don't get why they thought it would be cool to actually make the facelift of the same gen look older by COMPLETELY fucking up the headlights.

the car went from cool to a complete old hag grocerygetter again.

My mother? Yea, 7 years ago

dude...

very, i paid a small fortune for it back in 2012.

So you are financially attached to it. How much have you got left to pay before it's yours?

4.7 ram 1500

It's probably the nicest thing I have owned but I would prefer to get something else

all cash, it was my dream car so work the hell up and save like a mad man for it, i sacrifice many things for it but in the end it worth it.

Are you covering up the logo's so we don't find out that the car you're crying over is actually a cheap soulless grocery box?

Sometimes I wonder if I had purchased a shitbox for my first car - like everybody else - if I would feel any different about it.
Instead, I bought a car with relatively few miles that was only a couple years old, with nothing broken, dysfunctional, or even tarnished.

I've seen friends cry when their first car finally kicked the bucket. I wish I felt that level of attachment for my car, or anything else really.

82 s10 pickup it was my first vehicle 15 years ago. Started its life with the 2.8. Currently sits with a 6.0 and more money wrapped into it than any s10 should.
You could say I'm attached to it.

E46
Mixed feelings. It was my brother car befor he died in a accident so there is attachment. Then it's a fucking diesel, often minor things are breaking and parts are expensive. One day I love this car, next day I hate it and want to set it in flames. Pretty complicated

Not at all. I have a shitty rusted 2002 buick I got for $1000, but it's reliable.

I'm really attached to my ninja 250 though, even though I got it for $1500 at like 2000 miles, and it's not the fastest bike, but if I ever crashed it I'd feel like garbage.

Strongly considering taking a loan out to get a 350z or genesis coupe, good first car but im over it already

Aircooled fags are so afraid of water that they make fucking rafts for their cars

attached and wont sell

very sentimentally attached. id love to trade it in for something either practical or sportier, but i wont. ill just keep driving it until the wheels fall off

same with this piece of shit, day 4 of owning it and it's not gonna get sold.

she is all I have.

I fucking hate my car. I wish I could actually have a fun car for once instead of dealing with these miserable piles. Anytime I save money for a new car I either get screwed by the seller or something happens and I lose my money.

>Buy new (used) 1500
>Park at end of grocery store parking lot, 500' from anyone else

>Come out to $2500 of new white paint smeared up the side of it

Fast forward six months

>Hauling junk.

>Drive through fence, gate latch slips and gate closes on passenger mirror

>CRUNCH

Annnd though I could fix or have everything on it fixed, I honestly feel more like taking it out in a field and setting it on fire.

I was quite disappointed with how little abuse the engine was able to handle. I've only beat on it a handful of times at most.

Previous owner had a kid and a wife, but I wouldn't doubt he beat on it. Huge list of maintenance items since new. All stock, except for the shift knob and [summer] wheels. Came with the stock wheels for winter tires.

Do you have a lot of wind noise near the rear driver door by any chance? I have a ton and I can't figure out where it's coming from. Door seal looks great.

I get , especially after being in his family since it was first bought new, not matter what car it is. That's pretty special and I unironically wish to have something similar but I personally cant help wanting something more powerful every few years after I get another car.

You've got something special with that car user, wish you luck in the future for you and your punto!

lmao you cried over a fucking seat, get yourself a twingo with the price it will cost you to repair that, trust me you'll be better off lol thanks for the keks