/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

neglected automata edition
previous ded: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMade
>Skywanderers

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general
>Shadowverse, found in the shadowverse general, /svg/, not in this general

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb is back online, open to pubbies, look in serb browser

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplication_algorithm#Shift_and_add
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplication_algorithm
youtube.com/watch?v=GAyCZxQUJEY
youtube.com/watch?v=ME_4Fyu8UUI
youtube.com/watch?v=0m7aX4uBFg4
youtube.com/watch?v=hoJuolDQyxs
youtube.com/watch?v=53twBY9Vu_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=-Ak2E0igSx8
youtube.com/watch?v=We6gj_juPGI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for both /svg/ and /hsg/ in op

third for virtual legos general

4th 4 muh spengies playable when?

5th for A L G O D O O

i wonder if it was the same guy who complained about seeing /egg/ when looking for /hsg/ and /svg/

I lurked both of those generals for a bit after they shitposted here, they fucking hate each other, probably not the same guy

Now add a little 'cover' that blocks all numbers while it's changing then opens again.
Just for more autism.

I really liked C:SL at first but then I realized that it's extremely thin mechanically, even compared to SC2013, and anything further you might add is autism with no payoff. What a next-gen city building game would really need to explore is demographic simulation, landscape concerns like the effect of daylight and views on land values, land management shit like soil quality and water tables, and a proper dichotomy between pedestrian focused design and parking lot cul-de-sac hellholes.

You should be able to give all the fucks or none at all. Build a low-sprawling suburban yuppie paradise, or research the technology to stack buildings on top of each other and Kowloon Walled City that shit while mudslides close down your roads and Wal-Martia sinks into the ground. Sadly, it's almost impossible for a single company to implement this in $CURRENT_YEAR without bringing an ideological grudge into it.

That would look pretty neat. I might do that for my current one.

But while I never say no to additional autism, I don't have the file of that any more (was a proof of concept).

Did even sim city 200 have better rich neighborhoods than C:S? They'd build big, dynamic walled off mansions with lots of grass and gardens and shit.

What really killed skylines for me was the ignorance and/or malice of the devs towards how roads work.

>They'd build big, dynamic walled off mansions with lots of grass and gardens and shit.
I don't remember that part, but I do remember the dynamic airports that made no sense at all. Still a cool game, but SC4 was my childhood.

>What really killed skylines for me was the ignorance and/or malice of the devs towards how roads work.
Yeah, it was fucking bizarre how the cars would pile up on one lane like a bad Factorio bus.

> YWN build a highway splitter to stuff cars into every lane

Almost as annoying as this bullshit. IRL the cars on the right would be able to go but in skylines they can't because the devs are fucking stupid.

How do I fix this laser?

Framerate goes right down with FRAPS on. I need to get me something better.

What's the problem besides it being space inefficient? Are the frequency doublers not working?

It's taking up (over) 20000 engine power, and It's not as impressive as I would've hoped. It has trouble cutting through armour, so I added a lot of frequency doublers.

Maybe I'm just doubting myself because I've not used lasers before.

For offense you want 4 Q-switches on all the couplers. Small setups without any storage aren't that impressive. Storage is how you get the blow-a-hole-through-an-eerie lasers without needing a continuous gorillion horsepower

So lots of storage and q-switches?

I tried q-switches on this one but it didn't do much, and storages just caused the damage to drop off significantly after about a second of firing.

Don't know if I tried both at once, but I'll try it now, thanks.

Okay /egg/, I'm out of ideas. Tinkering with the registers gave me some fun but they're useless without a machine designed around them, and building another one of those would kill me.

What should I work on?
A-life?
Robots?
If robots, what do they do?
Cars?
Gearboxes?

It drops off, but the lowest output should still be equal to the continuous output of the same setup without storage.

so you are the algodoo life-form guy? what happened to those?

begin emulating really simple biological mechanisms

Yeah. Still got the files for those. Made a few different types but I'm out of ideas aside for rebuilds, which tend to be boring.

Already done my man. Made cell-like mechs that use antennas or internal compasses to seek out food pellets.

go more complex, like worms or some fuggery

>It's taking up (over) 20000 engine power, and It's not as impressive as I would've hoped

That's strange, this laser takes 32,000 power to run continuously and it's still pretty good after the initial storage burst.

That's... not a bad idea. I might give that a shot.

I'll use a laser based eye which scans ahead of it. Soft-body outer layer and mouth, with the rigid internals in a few different segments to provide flexibility. The eye will scan a cone ahead of it since it will wriggle for movement.

Cheers user

> Watch spaceclangs
> Half the videos are "Just imagine how fun this could be if it worked"

Decided against the fully segmented approach. Too fiddly, and too many geoms wasted transferring information down the segments.

Instead I'm going for a more compartmentalised build. 2 segments, head and body. The head is purely for sensing and eating, I'm going to use lasers to detect geoms, where input will be filtered in the head and passed down to the body, where the main mechanisms are. The head can be moved either side for food scanning via pistons in the body, connected with super-rigid springs (tendons, I guess?).

Using multiple lasers for the eyes will let me hopefully line the worm up perfectly for an attack approach. For instance, if the leftmost laser is triggered, the worm ceases moving and slowly moves its head left until the centre laser lines up perfectly, where it then thrusts forward. The pressure on the mouthparts of the worm colliding with the food pellet will trigger the eating response, and all that needs is for the food to be shuttled down to the "throat", where it is then pulled into the body.

May need to add a separate tail segment for using air-friction steering. Preliminary experiments not promising, I may have to make it purely thruster-based.

All thought-building right now but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Obviously Bullshit System studio?
MISO calculation unit, addition, sign changer, multiplication and division

KEEN:
>solar panels, the fuck you want that shit for you fucking idiot
>go mine that uranium you fucking pinko
>HA your ship just clanged, my sides

Colossal Order:
>we are the village green preservation society
>h-how d-do roads work I never driven a car

I liked how in update vid that intoduces solars they added "you asked for it", as to show their contempt

Light speed mod: for when you wanna experiecne clang at the speed of light

>tfw steamtorio and pagetorio use same /roaming folder to store shit

how the fuck can i have parallel versions with and without mods

>Miso calculation unit
Not sure what that is and google's given me nothing
>addition
Done a few times.
>sign changer
Is that like using two's complement and then inverting the sign bit?
>multiplication and division
is scary - got any good resources?

write your own batch files

Alife is cool as all hell.

Have you ever heard of the Braitenberg vehicles? They manage to display avoidance and chasing behaviours by connecting analog light sensors directly I realize they'd need a driver to the motors, no state or memory involved. Seems kind of similar to what you're doing with the lasers.

Multiple Input Singular Operation aka mdsi mdso mdsp or whatever
a single flow through the arithmetic unit will yield 1 result per 1 input, but it can take many inputs parallely, try 4
basically you have 9 registers, 4 are input, 1 is modifier, 4 output registers (or you reuse the inputs)
example: 120+ (a,b,c,d) = (a+120, b+120, c+120, d+120), done in 1 passthrough of the calculating thingy (I don't want to use "1 clock cycle" since it's not only addition we are talking about)

about mul and div commands? div is scary since you have more fringe cases, mul however: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplication_algorithm#Shift_and_add

simillarily to "two's compiment" I am really shit at remembering the common, popular names

Ahh cheers, I'll check those out. 9 registers might be a bit CPU heavy though. Stupid 21st century technology.

I'll definitely check out multiplication. It actually seems doable with the right mechanisms.

>connecting analog light sensors directly

You have just given me a fantastic idea, holy fuck.

Instead of the bot's lasers being its "eyes", I can instead cover the food particles in lasers shining in all directions (simulating reflected light).
The bots "skin" would be made up of photosensitive plates, which would each move a geom while a laser was shining on it. So if a laser hit it on its left hand side, I can directly hook the reaction to rotate the bot to the left towards the light source, and if the laser was then shining directly on its mouth it will simply go forward.

>>we are the village green preservation society
Thanks a lot, asshole, now I have to listen to VGPS and then Preservation acts 1 and 2.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplication_algorithm
>page doesn't have the ultimate multiplication algorithm, for(n=0; n

>Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds
Little too gimmicky for me, and yes I realize how ridiculous that sounds when I'm the one who brought up Preservation Act I and II.

Is this problem existing with or without trying those traffic improvement+intersection fine tuning mods on the workshop? I remember one called something along the lines of "Traffic President Edition" and there was some other big one.

I remember being able to remove traffic lights and fully change turn/straight road markings. That intersection also looks like it might work better if you used 1-way roads to merge the roads together at the left, and split the right side apart since the game wouldn't see it as 1 big blob intersection anymore.

Is that wing opening up to help counter the torque?

>mods

I like that you can clip buildings together for monolithic commieblocks now, but the traffic customization ones look way too time consuming and badly integrated, unless there is a way of repeating Traffic President settings to other intersections somehow.

Yeah. The antenna is attached to springs so it remains semi-rigid when extended, otherwise it would think it hit a food particle just from the force of the bot rotating. So when it hits a particle it rebounds, which throws the bot off centre when it thrusts forwards, potentially missing the food. The wings flare out, which increases the air friction on that side of the bot which angles it back towards the food.

Plus it looks cool

youtube.com/watch?v=GAyCZxQUJEY

youtube.com/watch?v=ME_4Fyu8UUI

>surf rock from hell
o-ok

youtube.com/watch?v=0m7aX4uBFg4

Got light sensing working for the shell of the bot. Sensors are clustered more closely together at the front to help on homing in.

Each shell segment has a simple tiny script which changes the collision group depending on if it's hit by a laser or not. Since there's a rod with a nub overlapping an extrusion on each shell segment, if it's hit by a laser it's all like "oh shit we're both collision group J get out of here" and pushes the rod inward.

That's the only scripting I'm using (it makes me feel dirty). I'm going to amplify those tiny mechanical movements into rotation of the bot to face directly towards the light source.

Starbound is great
ftfy

youtube.com/watch?v=hoJuolDQyxs

I attached a big gun to the front of my cruiser, I think it's pretty good.

Fuck man that shit is so good. I've known them for quite some time yet I hadn't given them a proper listen till now.

They call themselves desert rock but frankly it's surf to end all surf

>mfw trains

Fuck everything

The first 5 minutes of this seems to be the same few bars repeated over and over again, what's the deal?

It's people-who-think-there's-an-"i"-in-"dude" rock

Desert rock is surf without the iconic vocals anyway. Plus some drugs. Add some distortion and you can call yourself stoner rock too.

>The first 5 minutes of this seems to be the same few bars repeated over and over again, what's the deal?
You can shuffle 10 whole albums of surf and it'll all flow together well because it's essentially all the same track. That's the appeal.

>That's the appeal.

It sure as heck doesn't sound appealing to me, I guess it's good if you want something to just listen to in the background though?

Use more pedals than guitar, sing like you hate your dad, and you can call yourself shoegaze. It's all on a spectrum.

it's background noise that's somewhat reminiscent of rock music, perfect for long hours in the office, where you'd like some rock / metal, but you can't really because you'd focus on music not work, or if you are just high as a stratosphere on drugs and need 10h

It's more like extended jams recorded, rather than properly structured songs.
Personally I like it because it sounds like the shit I play on my guitar alone at night, and feels strangely nostalgic too.

>those badly mined deposits

>
>he doesn't listen to 20-30 minute long jams
youtube.com/watch?v=53twBY9Vu_Y

>he doesn't listen to four ten minuet long jams
youtube.com/watch?v=-Ak2E0igSx8

>he doesnt listen to 20 minute drone post-metal
youtube.com/watch?v=We6gj_juPGI

>tfw too retardeeeed to write one fucking batch file
the fuck is wrong with me

I don't even know what a batch file is.

It's simple wangblows commandline commands, what's wrong with you indeed? Google impaired?

figured out on my own three errors in my syntax

that was shameful

In reality space is in russian and barcode

>Radiation hazard
>Just a dead guy

>Playing first Factorio sandbox
>Find comfy spot to live with a shitload of resources around the corner
>Build base and go to scout those huge resource pools
>Can't see any of it for trees
>Can't even walk through the forest it's so dense
>It goes on for as far as the eye can see

Sweet merciful robochrist, tell me there's an automated way to clear forests.

Fire. Fire works pretty well.

>making the system to beat the iron throne 400k/hour achievement
>holy shit

thats gonna take a while, hope 170 smelters will be enough

there are at least 3 fast ways to do so, for now go ham with da pickaxe

fire, 'nades, shotgun, robutts...
but 'nades are certainly the cheapest and earliest answer to cellulose question

You'll need a little less than 389 crafting speed, so 195 steel furnaces should do.
Mind you, you're looking at nearly three full blue belts' worth of iron.

So would anyone be interested in a dedicated Factorio server?

Still got a free one with 10 slots.

current setup
waiting on 100k raw iron for each line

Hit us with it

>tfw i realise i need ~80 drills to operate 10 labs that research Red+Green+Black tech.

I almost feel like complex recipes + 5x tech cost multiplier was a mistake.

I'm now at 15.5 hours in, only starting to go beyond green and red science and realising how much of a jump in price there is.

I guess i really should stop worrying so much about pollution messing up biter evolution and really go crank up that poduction.

I actually have a number of small mining bases giving me a total of ~30 iron+copper drills, but holy fuck i am starving so hard.

Alright.
Any interesting mods that came out recently?
Haven't played since last year.

Did they add more vanilla content or is it still just dude send rockets to space lmoa

I think people are still fiddling with 0.15 that came out last week to get too into mods.

Rockets give science packs to research infinite tech, so I doubt they're going to ever add more 'content.'

Newest patch has nuclear reactors and uranium boolits, and they redid science packs.

Their long term plan has them falling for the blaned meme, who knows whether or not it'll actually happen

blaned meme?

Yes, blaneds.
They want multiple planets or some fuggery like that.

I think they wanted to push that post 1.0 'release' possibly for extra money

Is the guy who said he'd sign us to that Veeky Forums soccer thing around? According to the signup page there's only two days and four spots left.

But how can the ded play foosball?

Also replace Eggman with Ced (goalkeep, captain)

ded

>freejam puts out new update to Robocucks
>radars, jammers, and radar recievers removed from the game
>spotting enemys also removed from the game

>all enemies are now automatically spotted as soon as they come into view
>Radars replacement is a wallhack module that shows all enemy units on the map to your team for 7 seconds, and then has a 60sec cooldown

>OH EM GEE, NEW WEAPON ADDED
>its just a smaller chaingun, and since the big one sucks ass, the small one sucks twice as much ass

>fanbase hates new changes
>freejam locks the update thread on their forum so nobody can reply in it, basically trying to silence people
>Freejam dev comes in and says this

>"We’re going to start a new feedback thread on the Windowaker Update next week, which should allow the majority of regular forum users to actually experience the changes in-game and come to their own conclusions on the content. That’s why we locked the announcement thread. No grand conspiracy guys, this is just a better way for us to collate feedback. The update hasn’t even been out a day yet…"

Death of Robocraft when?

>Death of Robocraft when?
When you stop playing and posting about it, cuck

>remove players ability to vent so they can just get mad and leave
genius!

yooo

why do you speak of that which has been left deserted owing to its own obsolescence?
no longer do the freejam entertain the possibility of enlightenment and so we can not have any hint of them improving