BMW thread aut/o/bots

BMW thread aut/o/bots.

Post your rides, cry about the water pump shitting or the strut towers caving in. Pic related is stuka, my pride and joy

e46 323 \\\WAT edition

does it have DIRECT INJECTION?

Idris Alba

What's the most reliable BMW that does 0-60 in under 6 seconds? Does this exist?

I posted this in the German car thread but I'll post here too. I went to a shitty "car meet" last night and somehow some bitch in a Nissan rogue backed into my car. She gave me her number and left and isn't responding to my texts now. I kind of want to call the police, but I feel like it's kind of late. I think I'll try to meet up with her and get her insurance information and file a claim with them.

I got this car back from the shop the day before last. I'm pissed as fuck.

Similar thing happened to me when I was younger...

I was driving through a shopping center when this teenage girl ran a stop sign and side-swiped my Civic. She was very apologetic and seemed like a nice enough gal, so we just agreed to exchange numbers and sort it out later.

We had some friendly back-and-forth via text message over the following days, but she stopped responding when I inquired about the relevant information. Then something completely baffling happened...

This girl's mother left a rambling message on our home answering machine claiming that I was the one who hit her daughter, and that I should stop "harassing" her. To this day, I have no idea if the girl got scared and lied to her mom, or if the mother is just a cunt and didn't want to pay up.

My dad didn't want to get into a tedious legal battle, so just ended up letting it be. Still pisses me off when I think about it. This one incident really affected my faith in the goodness of people.

Always always always call the police over and file an official report

My 328i does 0-60 in 6.0. Never had any issues with it, and I don't go easy on it. Just change the oil every 5k, instead of whatever bullshit BMW recommends.

dump that shitty company before the repairs cost you more than its worth

>when your soundproofing is so good and the engine is so well built you can't even hear it, so you pump engine noises in via the sound system and also give people the option of turning them off

Frau Bismarck with her little sister Bismarck Zwei in the background. Bismarck Zwei is not feeling too well, her transmission shit the bed not too long ago and I am trying to source a new one right now to get her back into her prime.
Both are 750's to be clear, I don't fuck around with no "vee ayte" no more.

meme harder faggot

So if you want a dependable BMW, just avoid forced induction?

More like just avoid being a retard

more like avoid bmw

How is HPFP and turbo failure attributed to being a retard?

Also avoid all BMWs with DIRECT INJECTION

Replacing the water pump tomorrow actually so it doesn't shit on me. Also putting in a new thermostat since it's right there anyways.

Doing the job yourself?

Yeah, it's very simple. Working on the E46 in general seems to be pretty dang simple compared to previous cars.

>328i
Are these still fun compared to 335?

Got this about 2 months ago

spent $500 on all the vacuum and coolant components as soon as I got it home

then got tax return a couple of weeks ago adn spent about 1100 on variuos little things.

I can't believe I've spent over half the cars price already on it. In saying that it is the best car I've owned. its like a comfy e30. Not as raw but still has all the feel.

gonna do an m52 swap at some stage

Had this last summer. 1992 318is 5 speed. I miss that car even though it was only a 4 cylinder.

Basically yeah and avoid V8's unless you can turn a wrench

Perkele they are beautiful

Get a muffler delete and you'll love it

Ti? Is this the one with the blue interior.

>mine

Just bought this about a month ago. I really love it so far.
It's a 2013 with only 35k miles on it, so hopefully I won't have to worry about the rod bearings blowing up the engine for a little while.

I've since swapped out the grills for black m tricolor ones and am currently in the process of replacing the headlights (cunts didn't send me bulbs and usual ones don't fit right)

Woo you're lucky, nice ride man must be a blast to DD that

Yeah Ti and yeah blue millipoint.

Loving the spots seats but they do have a bit of play in them. I've read somewhere that the seats have bushings that can wear and casue them to move a bit. but I could just go for some lighter seats.

Almost got a set of roadstars for it for a really good price but the seller bailed.

I've got some condor stuff on the way, roofracks, LED bulbs so my brake switch doesn't take a shit and a heap of other shit to install.

I love the ds2s on any e36. How big is your roofrack fairing?

I've never driven a 335i, but i can tell you that its a blast to drive.

Pretty much.

I love the color.

Thanks, and yeah: it's a bit bumpy (no EDC), but I don't think I'll ever get tired of blasting down onramps at 8k rpm.

Yeah, me too. I passed up a cheaper gray one with less mileage to buy this one, and felt kinda silly at the time, but every time I walk into the garage now I think "that's a fine looking car!"

'97 E36 M3

>Kosei K1 17x8.5 in 235/40/17 Federal 595 RS-RRs
>Z3 1.9 Rack
>TCKline S/A Coilovers in 400lb Front/500lb Rear, 1 inch drop front/rear (From center of wheel to fender lip: 13.5 inches front 12 inches rear).
>UUC Short Shifter + Linkage and SS Clutch Line
>AKG E21 Trans Mounts and Cups
>Achillies Motorsports Oil Pan Baffle, Z3 2.8 Reinforced Pickup, and Safety Wired Oil Pump Nut
>AKG Front Subframe Reinforcement
>New rubber parts and joints in front end (motor mounts, tierods, lower control arms and bushings, rack guibo, guibo, clutch)

Bad:

>Strut Tower Rust I have to fix
>Tried bleeding 20 year old brake fluid today, ended up making brakes worse AND lost clutch pedal pressure
>No battery tiedown ruins whatever chance I had of going to test it all out at AutoX tomorrow
>Car threw Firestone's alignment machine out of calibration
>Missing bumpstops

this isnt a post-n54 era thread, everyone agrees that newer 3->7 series are dogshit

2009 e92 335i sleeper. Stock silver with no appearance mods.

Bolt-ons:
>VSRF 7" FMIC
>VSRF chargepipe
>Custom 3" catless DP's
>TiAL 50mm BOV
>RB turbo inlets
>BMS DCI (n54 intake meme heh)
>MHD Stage 2+ aggressive tune (~16.5 psi)
>Michelin PSS
>M3 sway bars, control arms
>Eibach pro-kit springs

Soon:
>Fuel-it stage 2 LPFP
>e85 tune to push 430 whp

Just finished replacing my entire cooling system and stripping my head twice in a valve cover gasket replacement.

Is paying almost 6k for a 1994 530i a terrible idea?
I can't help but love BMW v8s

Too high

how stupid would it be to try to weld reinforcement sub frame pieces using a 90a harbor freight welder onto my bmw (big money waster)

ayyy

is it possible to swap engine E30 318i with S85 engine?

Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it i think most people have trouble putting a v8 in it idk if you could squeeze a v10 without fucking up the chassis and going through the firewall

Is it true that if I get a BMW I'm gonna be spending time and money at a shop fixing it every other month?

I mean I guess if an I6 with tons of room is hard for you.... at which point it'd be the case for any car you get. If you're afraid to invest time and money into something stick to disposable shitboxes. Most of this board can help you out with that one.

A shitbox is a car that's going to constantly need work done on it i.e. any bimmer made in the last 20 years

Thanks for the expert advice, seems very well thought out and structured

Welcome friend. If you need to bring your car in more than once maybe twice a year it's essentially a shitbox

Why no V8 anymore?

if that was the case do you really think people would be daily driving them?

As someone that knows literally nothing about cars and has only ever needed to open my engine to check relays and put washer fluid in. How plausible would it be for me to do my own maintenance/repairs on a 2011 328i? The car looks wonderful but I'm afraid about maintenance obviously, since I hear mixed things about them here and online has 92k miles on it.

N52 is super simple as it's a successor to the M54
Great engine overall, won Wards top 10 best engines a few times

Dude that's an n52 straight six in there, the thing is fucking bulletproof

That's totally what you should buy if you want a bimmer but are worried about the maintenance, that or a 330

That's good to know thanks. I'll keep looking around but I'll definitely give a call and check this one out then.

Depends on the condition you get the car in and how old it is. I daily drive a 22 year old 325i, so I obviously need to go to the shop once and again. But since it's pretty low mileage (currently sitting at 60 thousand KMs), it's pretty much small stuff/things deteriorated by time.

Of course, all of that goes out the window if you buy a V10 M5. Please don't do that

Sure, feel free to post other cars in here if you need second opinions

My Euro 1988 E30 316i two weeks ago
now the underside has been checked over, welded and resealed. The upgraded 318is suspension that has been sandblasted and powder coated should be on now. Prepping for paint as of now (engine compartment and boot included)
In the end this will be a stock looking fresh as fuck zero rust 316i with 318is drivetrain (with upgrades) and suspension (poly bushings, rebuilt brakes) + a damn sweet adjustable shifter
Dis gon be gud

E30 body + M54B30 with tune = there ya go

This, just slightly different but don't want to get stalked.

Just had rod bearings done, and it was just in time. Lots of copper shining through.

Thinking of buying an 09 328i w/ 102k miles and 6MT. Asking 7900 at a dealer. Is this a decent price? Checking it out tomorrow. Are there other cars of this age and price I should consider?

Water pump and thermostat replaced. It was pretty damn easy and took around two hours including my trip on the scooter to vatozone to pick up a breaker bar.

Pic related, the old shit

Me again. Is there anything I should be looking out for when I go to test drive and look at it? I don't know if there's any easy way to check out any of the more typical BMW issues

>Bringing your car anywhere to be repaired

If you can't fix your own shit don't even bother getting something besides a civic or corolla.

Getting your car repaired at a mechanic is literally like paying a man to fuck your wife because of your own incompetence.

The never ending project

What if you can't afford tools or live somewhere without room to work?

This desu. If you don't grow your own food, hunt for your own meat, fish your own fish, generate your own electricity, make your own clothes, purify your own water, do your own electrical work in your house, build your own house by yourself you're kinda of just a cuck.

Like I said I'm willing to and would actually like to learn what I can. But there's obviously gonna be some stuff I won't be able to do

Certainly not with that attitude pussy. You can fucking completely engine swap these vehicles in a garage with a socket set a 30 pack of PBR and a set of big ole fuckin balls between your legs.

I agree completely.

Then you can't afford to own one of these cars.

I've got some headlights from the previous owner that are causing me some problems. I've asked the dealership and an independent BMW shop to take a look and both said nah because they were aftermarket and didn't know what to do.

I've got a low beam out on my left side and then the halos and eyebrow are out on the right side. I don't think the bulbs are bad because they've flickered before, went out, came back on, flickered again, but now they're out for good. I'm thinking maybe the wiring is bad because it looks like shit to me.

I don't even know what brand they are or where they came from. The only brand name on the lights says SONAR and when I do some googling I find pic related called Spyder. I tried called the Spyderauto website and they were like "yeah that's a common issue imma send you a troubleshooting vid gimme your email" but they never sent me a video and blocked my number.

What should I do? What kind of places can I take the car to to get my headlights fixed? I'm driving on freaking daytimes with fog lights at the moment

I've done brakes and rotors, replaced radiator and hosing, and done driveshaft repairs on other cars; that is the limit of my experience but I feel able to do repairs of that difficulty. If I were to buy the '09 I mentioned here do you think I could handle maintenance affordably? I'm not familiar with BMWs, but I need a somewhat fast car for 10k or less.

Wew man so glad I didn't buy those for my e60. Your hunch is almost definitely correct, wires are going bad.

You need to find either an indy german repair shop with good reviews or a shop specializing in automotive lighting. You may have to do some searching and driving but it's worth it.

If you're not familiar with German cars, maintenance, or money, stay below 100k miles

>not having an aftermarket water pump with metal impeller

>taking pictures of your car in the rain to make the paint look less fuckered

E36 is by definition a shitbox

Do I really have a lot to worry about with shit breaking on a bimmer if i only drive like 40-60 minutes a day?

Which one?

E90s are trash. You will certainly have issues if you keep that car beyond 100k miles.
t. BMW tech

Sorry should've quoted my other post, the 2011 328i. There's also a 2008 335xi coupe, that might be too small for me though.

2005 and older 6cyl. BMWs are your best bet. E46 330i, M3 are great, and the E39 530i if you want a mid size. They still have issues, but seem damn near trouble free compared to the garbage that came after that.

The N-55 is quite possibly the shittiest engine BMW has ever built. It's going to shit the bed on you, I promise , HPFP, turbo issues, carbon build up, water pump/ thermostat, oil leaks galore. It's shit.

It'll be fine man, engine is dependable

Way too high. Find a nice 535 if you can. That 3.0 V-8 is pretty weak, the 3.5 big six is much more entertaining to drive.

Possible yes, but the rest of the car would need to be modified to handle the power, so massive brake upgrades and a suspension setup to match the increased weight and power.

>N52 is super simple

Seriously, you have no clue what you are talking about. It's considerably more complex than the M54 it replaced. I'm a BMW tech, ask me anything.

just installed my turbo. getting it tuned

Why is the coolant system made of plastic?

Asking a million questions in this thread. But what are some of the things I should be worried about with that 2011 328i? As far as what should I expect to fail on me? Has 92k miles on it, and is that too many? I know miles aren't a huge gauge for the quality of a car but I want to mitigate my spending after buying it. Thanks in advance.

Because it's cheaper to manufacture. The stuff BMW uses gets brittle after about 80k miles, that is a major weak point with any modern BMW. I've replaced everything on my E39, some things more than once already, and I've only had it about 5 years.

nice ride friend

why does the dealership want to charge me $70 for a diagnostic, as in plug in their scan tool to the diagnostic port and pull the fault code

Electric water pump/thermostat, radiator, coolant hoses, valve cover gaskets, or even the valve cover itself, oil pan gasket, drive belt tensioner, VANOS solenoids, starter motor. That's just powertrain stuff. They also have issues with body electronics. It's better than an early E90, but it's still pretty shit TBQH.

Because they have a big overhead expense to cover, and the diagnostic equipment the dealerships have is expensive as fuck, so they are trying to recover costs. You might try to find a reputable independent shop, the often have the same equipment and charge less.

I should also add that when a dealership scans a car, it's every control module in the car, not just the engine. So you get a lot more detailed data on what's going on with your car.

you can just get a obd2 to bmw 20-pin for like $10 and get all the same info if the scantool is capable

You might be able to pull generic OBD2 codes, but it's not going to be anything remotely like an Autologic or factory BMW tool. There are some clones out there, but they tend to suck and not have any real software support for coding and programming control units.

Different guy, but how do F30s compare to E90s?